Blu-ray has outpaced DVD adoption

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Robo-man, Jul 12, 2008.

  1. Robo-man

    Robo-man Guest

    http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6572676.html
    Blu-ray has outpaced DVD adoption
    U.S., Europe sales bolstered by PlayStation 3 console
    By Danny King -- Video Business, 6/23/2008
    JUNE 23 | The adoption rate of Blu-ray Disc drives has outpaced that of
    standard-definition DVD players almost a decade ago on both sides of the
    Atlantic because of gamers buying Sony's PlayStation 3 consoles, which
    include the high-definition disc drives, according to separate estimates.

    As of the end of this year, Blu-ray's third on the market, Western European
    consumers will have acquired Blu-ray drives at more than six times the rate
    buyers had bought standard disc players by the end of 1999, U.K.-based
    Futuresource Consulting said last week. In the U.S., customers are acquiring
    Blu-ray drives at three times the rate they bought DVD players nine years
    ago, said Michael Youn, Lionsgate's VP of strategic planning and business
    development, at a Las Vegas conference yesterday.

    Studios and retailers alike are hoping that a higher consumer penetration of
    Blu-ray players will help reverse a drop in home entertainment spending last
    year. U.S. customers spent $23.4 billion buying or renting DVDs in 2007,
    down from $24.1 billion in 2006, according to trade group the Digital
    Entertainment Group. Studios such as Lionsgate are forecasting about $1
    billion in Blu-ray sales this year.

    "Longer term, as player prices continue to fall, title availability grows
    and awareness increases, Blu-ray Disc players will become the product of
    choice, given the fact that they also play DVD and CD media," said Jim
    Bottoms, managing director of corporate development at Futuresource, which
    was formerly known as Understanding & Solutions. "There will come a time
    when the branded suppliers focus on this higher capacity drive, mirroring
    the trend we saw with DVD players replacing CD decks."

    With videogaming industry revenue booming, PlayStation 3's inclusion of a
    Blu-ray player is likely the reason for the faster growth on both
    continents. Of the 15 million Blu-ray drives owned by U.S. consumers at the
    end of last year, 4 million were stand-alone set-top boxes, compared with 5
    million standard-definition players installed by the end of 1999, said Youn.
    Western Europeans will have acquired 10.5 billion Blu-ray drives by the end
    of 2008, compared with 1.58 million standard machines by 1999, said
    Futuresource, which didn't break out PlayStation or stand-alone player
    sales.

    Blu-ray's outpacing of standard DVD growth is expected to continue as
    manufacturers and retailers drop prices on both stand-alone Blu-ray players
    and PlayStation 3s.

    Wal-Mart's selling of its cheapest Blu-ray players at about $200 and a wider
    Blu-ray title inventory will help push U.S. Blu-ray disc sales to $1 billion
    this year and as high as $10 billion by 2013, said Youn.

    In Europe, more than 30 million people will own either a Blu-ray set-top
    player or PlayStation 3 by the end of 2010, compared with the 17 million
    standard players owned there in 2001.

    "The timing of the PS3 launch has clearly provided a big boost to the
    initial uptake of Blu-ray," said Bottoms. "With a number of hot games titles
    now starting to emerge and console prices continuing to fall, we can expect
    to see continued strong uptake."
    Robo-man, Jul 12, 2008

  2. Robo-man

    Mutley Guest

    "Robo-man" <> wrote:

    >http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6572676.html
    >Blu-ray has outpaced DVD adoption
    >U.S., Europe sales bolstered by PlayStation 3 console
    >By Danny King -- Video Business, 6/23/2008
    >JUNE 23 | The adoption rate of Blu-ray Disc drives has outpaced that of
    >standard-definition DVD players almost a decade ago on both sides of the
    >Atlantic because of gamers buying Sony's PlayStation 3 consoles, which
    >include the high-definition disc drives, according to separate estimates.

    Not in my part of the world it's not. With new and not so new movies
    costing about NZ$45~50 while the same DVD costs about NZ$20~30.

    Not even any rentals available yet. Players start about NZ$499 . PS3
    about $800

    NZ$1 = US$ 76c
    Mutley, Jul 13, 2008

  3. Robo-man

    RL Guest

    Mutley wrote:
    > Not in my part of the world it's not. With new and not so new movies
    > costing about NZ$45~50 while the same DVD costs about NZ$20~30.
    >
    > Not even any rentals available yet. Players start about NZ$499 . PS3
    > about $800
    >
    > NZ$1 = US$ 76c

    I buy Region A disks from the US. Sure, our incomes are lower, so they
    are still by no means cheap for us, but they are one hell of a lot
    cheaper than the local prices. I personally own very few Region 4 DVDs,
    except a few that were particularly cheap, or which are not available in
    Region 1 (E.g. Howard The Duck).

    RL
    RL, Jul 13, 2008
  4. On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 08:39:57 -0400, Kimba W Lion <kimbawlion@> wrote:

    >Mutley <> wrote:
    >
    >>Not in my part of the world it's not.

    >That article makes the ridiculous assumption that people who buy a PS3 have
    >"made the switch" from DVD to BD. It's just hype.

    Look again. The claim refers to "new adopters", which means they were
    not previous disc users of any kind.

    I love how some of you twerps only see what you want to see in what you
    read.
    StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt, Jul 13, 2008
  5. On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 07:45:11 -0500, "Mark Jones" <>
    wrote:

    >Kimba W Lion wrote:
    >> Mutley <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Not in my part of the world it's not.

    >> That article makes the ridiculous assumption that people who buy a
    >> PS3 have "made the switch" from DVD to BD. It's just hype.

    >The people who I work with who have expressed an interest
    >in getting a PS3 are only wanting it for game playing. They
    >typically don't even watch very many DVDs.

    Which means your "demographic" is entirely unrelated.
    StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt, Jul 13, 2008
  6. Robo-man

    Robo-man Guest

    > RE: Blu-ray is on its way to becoming a big, fat hit.
    >

    > First, there was a destructive, two year format war between HD-DVD and
    > Blu-ray. During this time, the economy was still in pretty good shape.
    >
    > Now, Blu-ray is the winner. But the global economy is on the verge of a
    > complete meltdown and at the same time, steep increases of energy costs
    > are
    > driving up the costs of everything else.
    >
    > Layoffs, cutbacks and bank failures have created a climate of fear. Many
    > people are having a hard time just surviving and there is no money left
    > over
    > for Blu-ray players selling for $400-$500 and Blu-ray disks selling for
    > $25-$40.
    >
    > I feel that Blu-ray sales cannot gain any meaningful momentum in the
    > current
    > financial environment.

    Even though I started this post I kind of have my doubts on this also.

    Since I have started watching 'HD' movies from my cable TV (KingKong,
    Titanic, StarTrekIII, StarTrekVIII, 2001, PiratesoftheCarabean I, II ect
    ect). I have been wondering if it would by worth buying these movies at all
    when I can just watch them in HD on TNT or TBS. And I don't even have any of
    the 'Movie channels'. I can't wait for my cable provider to pickup 'FX' and
    'SpikeTV'(Star Wars).
    Robo-man, Jul 16, 2008
  7. On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 18:39:44 -0400, "Robo-man" <> wrote:

    >> RE: Blu-ray is on its way to becoming a big, fat hit.
    >>

    >> First, there was a destructive, two year format war between HD-DVD and
    >> Blu-ray. During this time, the economy was still in pretty good shape.
    >>
    >> Now, Blu-ray is the winner. But the global economy is on the verge of a
    >> complete meltdown and at the same time, steep increases of energy costs
    >> are
    >> driving up the costs of everything else.
    >>
    >> Layoffs, cutbacks and bank failures have created a climate of fear. Many
    >> people are having a hard time just surviving and there is no money left
    >> over
    >> for Blu-ray players selling for $400-$500 and Blu-ray disks selling for
    >> $25-$40.
    >>
    >> I feel that Blu-ray sales cannot gain any meaningful momentum in the
    >> current
    >> financial environment.

    >Even though I started this post I kind of have my doubts on this also.
    >
    >Since I have started watching 'HD' movies from my cable TV (KingKong,
    >Titanic, StarTrekIII, StarTrekVIII, 2001, PiratesoftheCarabean I, II ect
    >ect). I have been wondering if it would by worth buying these movies at all
    >when I can just watch them in HD on TNT or TBS.

    Bullshit. The "HD" that gets broadcast by cable channel providers is
    NOT the same resolution as the material on HD DVD and BR DVD Discs.

    > And I don't even have any of
    >the 'Movie channels'. I can't wait for my cable provider to pickup 'FX' and
    >'SpikeTV'(Star Wars).

    Digital television is NOT is HD very few channels "PBS", and a couple
    others, are in true HD resolutions. The rest are very poorly compressed.

    The HD DVD formats also have exceptional sound compared to raunchy,
    barely compatible cable feeds.

    BOTH HD disc formats beat the pants off of ANY cable feed.
    StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt, Jul 17, 2008
  8. Robo-man

    Robo-man Guest

    "StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 18:39:44 -0400, "Robo-man" <> wrote:

    >>Even though I started this post I kind of have my doubts on this also.
    >>
    >>Since I have started watching 'HD' movies from my cable TV (KingKong,
    >>Titanic, StarTrekIII, StarTrekVIII, 2001, PiratesoftheCarabean I, II ect
    >>ect). I have been wondering if it would by worth buying these movies at
    >>all
    >>when I can just watch them in HD on TNT or TBS.

    > Bullshit. The "HD" that gets broadcast by cable channel providers is
    > NOT the same resolution as the material on HD DVD and BR DVD Discs.
    >

    >> And I don't even have any of
    >>the 'Movie channels'. I can't wait for my cable provider to pickup 'FX'
    >>and
    >>'SpikeTV'(Star Wars).

    > Digital television is NOT is HD very few channels "PBS", and a couple
    > others, are in true HD resolutions. The rest are very poorly compressed.
    >
    > The HD DVD formats also have exceptional sound compared to raunchy,
    > barely compatible cable feeds.
    >
    > BOTH HD disc formats beat the pants off of ANY cable feed.

    LOL

    Well thanks for clearing that up.

    I thought that 'HD cable channels'(not the regular cable channels) and
    'Blue-Ray' were BOTH in '1080', hence the same quality.
    Now I *really can't wait* to buy a Blue-Ray player at the end of the year.
    Robo-man, Jul 17, 2008
  9. On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 20:53:42 -0400, "Robo-man" <> wrote:

    >"StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 18:39:44 -0400, "Robo-man" <> wrote:

    >>>Even though I started this post I kind of have my doubts on this also.
    >>>
    >>>Since I have started watching 'HD' movies from my cable TV (KingKong,
    >>>Titanic, StarTrekIII, StarTrekVIII, 2001, PiratesoftheCarabean I, II ect
    >>>ect). I have been wondering if it would by worth buying these movies at
    >>>all
    >>>when I can just watch them in HD on TNT or TBS.

    >> Bullshit. The "HD" that gets broadcast by cable channel providers is
    >> NOT the same resolution as the material on HD DVD and BR DVD Discs.
    >>

    >>> And I don't even have any of
    >>>the 'Movie channels'. I can't wait for my cable provider to pickup 'FX'
    >>>and
    >>>'SpikeTV'(Star Wars).

    >> Digital television is NOT is HD very few channels "PBS", and a couple
    >> others, are in true HD resolutions. The rest are very poorly compressed.
    >>
    >> The HD DVD formats also have exceptional sound compared to raunchy,
    >> barely compatible cable feeds.
    >>
    >> BOTH HD disc formats beat the pants off of ANY cable feed.

    >LOL
    >
    >Well thanks for clearing that up.
    >
    >I thought that 'HD cable channels'(not the regular cable channels) and
    >'Blue-Ray' were BOTH in '1080', hence the same quality.
    >Now I *really can't wait* to buy a Blue-Ray player at the end of the year.

    Though your cable box or your satellite converter may drive your display
    at 1080 that does NOT mean that the source data is at that resolution,
    you dingledorf! Do you even know what compression is?
    StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt, Jul 17, 2008
  10. Robo-man

    > Though your cable box or your satellite converter may drive your display
    > at 1080 that does NOT mean that the source data is at that resolution,
    > you dingledorf! Do you even know what compression is?

    Yep. I have plenty 'ancient' DVDs.
    Robo-man, Jul 17, 2008
  11. Robo-man

    CLicker Guest

    "Robo-man" <> wrote in message

    >> RE: Blu-ray is on its way to becoming a big, fat hit.
    >>

    >> First, there was a destructive, two year format war between
    >> HD-DVD and
    >> Blu-ray. During this time, the economy was still in pretty
    >> good shape.
    >>
    >> Now, Blu-ray is the winner. But the global economy is on the
    >> verge of a
    >> complete meltdown and at the same time, steep increases of
    >> energy costs are
    >> driving up the costs of everything else.
    >>
    >> Layoffs, cutbacks and bank failures have created a climate of
    >> fear. Many
    >> people are having a hard time just surviving and there is no
    >> money left over
    >> for Blu-ray players selling for $400-$500 and Blu-ray disks
    >> selling for
    >> $25-$40.
    >>
    >> I feel that Blu-ray sales cannot gain any meaningful momentum
    >> in the current
    >> financial environment.

    > Even though I started this post I kind of have my doubts on
    > this also.
    >
    > Since I have started watching 'HD' movies from my cable TV
    > (KingKong, Titanic, StarTrekIII, StarTrekVIII, 2001,
    > PiratesoftheCarabean I, II ect ect). I have been wondering if
    > it would by worth buying these movies at all when I can just
    > watch them in HD on TNT or TBS. And I don't even have any of
    > the 'Movie channels'. I can't wait for my cable provider to
    > pickup 'FX' and 'SpikeTV'(Star Wars).

    While the Blu-Ray image is, as the HD-DVD image was, noticeably
    better than OTA HD, it is merely one reason, the other being
    sound, to consider the equipment necessary to play the more
    expensive media.

    HDTV capture (ATSC, QAM, and now component HD) obviates the
    necessity of HD purchasable/rentable discs except for the vast
    number of items that will never (or at least in a reasonable
    time span) appear on TV.

    So, as usual, the market depends upon the perception of its
    prospects. Your perception rules you out (at least for now) but
    they're hoping there is a large number of prospects who will
    become repeat customers.

    I might mention that, as an HD (be it via OTA, QAM, BD, HD, or
    the web) enthusiast, I'm not finding the vibrancy of theater
    presentations generally the equal of home viewing. Does anyone
    else feel this way? I just had to go see Journey-3D, the first
    3D flick I've seen without Vincent Price in it. The trailers
    shown for non-3D films seemed rather lifeless in the theater,
    albeit loud. Previously, "Indiana 4" was a particularly
    uninspiring print.
    CLicker, Jul 17, 2008