Blu-ray *Format Perspective*

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Robo-man, May 3, 2008.

  1. Robo-man

    Robo-man Guest

    From the Digital Bits:

    "Also today, the L.A. Times has posted a couple stories (click here and
    here) on how Blu-ray sales haven't gone up as a result of the format war
    ending. The conclusion is that consumers just aren't interested. So
    naturally, we've had lots of readers e-mail us with concern about the future
    of Blu-ray. Okay... first of all, anyone who was REALLY motivated to buy a
    Blu-ray player the moment the format war ended already did so in January,
    when Warner announced that they were abandoning HD-DVD. Second, people don't
    tend to buy expensive electronics in the 1st and 2nd quarters. They buy them
    in the second half of the year, because that's when all the best deals and
    sales are to be found. Third, the economy has slowed a bit and gas prices
    have spiked this spring, so people have tightened their budgets a bit.
    Fourth, the Blu-ray studios and manufacturers have slowed their marketing
    efforts since Toshiba threw in the towel, as they gear up for a major
    holiday push later this year - the format's first without competition from
    HD-DVD. Finally, there are still a lot of home theater-philes who aren't
    interested in going with a PlayStation 3 for Blu-ray, but who want to wait
    for good, affordable profile 2.0/BD-Live compatible players. So it's a wee
    bit premature to start making drastic assumptions here.

    Here's what we think you're going to see as we move into the latter half of
    2008 and beyond. The BDA will begin to dramatically ramp up its marketing
    and promotion efforts for Blu-ray in the 3rd quarter. Retailers and
    manufacturers will begin offering TONS of sales and deals, including combo
    deals where you'll get a Blu-ray player free or cheap with the purchase of a
    new HDTV display (which, by the way, lots of people are going to be looking
    at this fall in anticipation of the DTV switch next February). All of the
    major summer blockbuster films will be coming out on Blu-ray later this
    year, including The Dark Knight, Speed Racer, Ironman, Wall-E - maybe even
    Star Wars: The Clone Wars and Indy 4. LOTS of major catalog titles will be
    released later this year as well, including The Matrix Trilogy, The X-Men
    Trilogy and more that haven't been announced yet. On top of all that,
    Blu-ray player prices will again be lower, with some expected to drop into
    the neighborhood of $250 (a few may even get as low as $225). Moving into
    next year, EVERY studio I've spoken with says 2009 is when the floodgates
    will really start to open in terms of A-list catalog titles being released
    on the format. It's also expected that players will drop below $200 next
    year. So anyone who thinks they can write off the Blu-ray format now would
    be wise to sit tight and wait a year to see what happens between now and
    then. It seems to us that there's a serious lack of perspective apparent in
    a lot of these predictions.

    To offer a little of that perspective ('cause that's what we DO here at The
    Bits), we refer you to our own CEA DVD Player Sales History chart. Anyone
    remember the DVD vs. DIVX format war? Well, DIVX threw in the towel in June
    of 1999. Take a look at the chart. Anyone see a DVD sales spike in the next
    few months after that? Nope. It wasn't until the holidays that year that DVD
    sales started to increase modestly, and they really spiked the following
    year, in 2000. What happened in 2000? LOTS of major titles started coming
    out on the format, and that's also when DVD player prices started dropping
    below $200. Just a few things to keep in mind."

    Bill Hunt, Editor
    The Digital Bits

    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents
    Robo-man, May 3, 2008

  2. Robo-man

    skip Guest

    "Robo-man" <> wrote in news:eA0Tj.48$:

> [...]
    > Blu-ray format now would be wise to sit tight and wait a year to see
    > what happens between now and then. It seems to us that there's a
    > serious lack of perspective apparent in a lot of these predictions.
    >
    > To offer a little of that perspective ('cause that's what we DO here
    > at The Bits), we refer you to our own CEA DVD Player Sales History
    > chart. Anyone remember the DVD vs. DIVX format war? Well, DIVX threw
    > in the towel in June of 1999. Take a look at the chart. Anyone see a
    > DVD sales spike in the next few months after that? Nope. It wasn't
    > until the holidays that year that DVD sales started to increase
    > modestly, and they really spiked the following year, in 2000. What
    > happened in 2000? LOTS of major titles started coming out on the
    > format, and that's also when DVD player prices started dropping below
    > $200. Just a few things to keep in mind."

    Beleive nothing from la la land
    skip, May 3, 2008

  3. Robo-man

    Guest

    On Sat, 03 May 2008 16:46:16 GMT, skip <skip[@nospam.com> wrote:

    >Beleive nothing from la la land

    You had to re-quote his entire post to make your stupid, retarded twit
    one liner?

    You're a bigger idiot than he ever could be.
    , May 3, 2008
  4. Robo-man

    RL Guest

    Robo-man wrote:
    > From the Digital Bits:
    > HD-DVD. Finally, there are still a lot of home theater-philes who aren't
    > interested in going with a PlayStation 3 for Blu-ray, but who want to wait
    > for good, affordable profile 2.0/BD-Live compatible players. So it's a wee
    > bit premature to start making drastic assumptions here.

    I can see people not wanting to use a PS3 for their Blu-ray player,
    because it doesn't look like a home theatre component, but most people
    really don't care one bit about 2.0 etc., they just want to watch the movie.

    The whatever-philes are the ones who are buying now, because they don't
    need to listen to a sales rep telling them about upcoming features they
    know they will never use.

    RL
    RL, May 3, 2008
  5. Robo-man

    GMAN Guest

    In article <fvin1b$unt$>, RL <> wrote:
    >Robo-man wrote:
    >> From the Digital Bits:
    >> HD-DVD. Finally, there are still a lot of home theater-philes who aren't
    >> interested in going with a PlayStation 3 for Blu-ray, but who want to wait
    >> for good, affordable profile 2.0/BD-Live compatible players. So it's a wee
    >> bit premature to start making drastic assumptions here.

    >I can see people not wanting to use a PS3 for their Blu-ray player,
    >because it doesn't look like a home theatre component, but most people
    >really don't care one bit about 2.0 etc., they just want to watch the movie.

    It looks really cool on top of all of my other black components. Just because
    it doesnt look square doesnt make it look bad as a component.

    GMAN, May 5, 2008
  6. Robo-man

    Gander Guest

    "Robo-man" <> wrote in message
    > From the Digital Bits:

    Bought and paid off Shill.
    Gander, May 5, 2008
  7. On Mon, 05 May 2008 15:59:27 GMT,
    (GMAN) wrote:

    >In article <fvin1b$unt$>, RL <> wrote:
    >>Robo-man wrote:
    >>> From the Digital Bits:
    >>> HD-DVD. Finally, there are still a lot of home theater-philes who aren't
    >>> interested in going with a PlayStation 3 for Blu-ray, but who want to wait
    >>> for good, affordable profile 2.0/BD-Live compatible players. So it's a wee
    >>> bit premature to start making drastic assumptions here.

    >>I can see people not wanting to use a PS3 for their Blu-ray player,
    >>because it doesn't look like a home theatre component, but most people
    >>really don't care one bit about 2.0 etc., they just want to watch the movie.

    >It looks really cool on top of all of my other black components. Just because
    >it doesnt look square doesnt make it look bad as a component.

    Now, that is a "format perspective" if I ever heard one!
    StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt, May 6, 2008