    48K PCM is a DVD standard, but I'm not aware of any commercial release using
    it.

    Norm Strong

    Guest, Aug 25, 2005

  2. Guest

    Goro Guest

    wrote:
    > I've been trying to imagine a good use for a 30GB disc. How about an entire
    > season of a 1 hour TV series? That's about 1000 minutes; just right for
    > Blu-Ray. Of course, that's not what they're going to do with it. The one
    > thing Hollywood doesn't want is a disc with a lot of time on it. They're
    > perfectly happy to give you better and better resolution, extras, etc., but
    > not more time.

    i had thot for quite some time that this could possibly be hte "killer
    app" for the next gen of Hi-Capacity DVDs. NOT necessarily just the HD
    Content, but that much more SD content could be held on it. Computer
    BluRay burners + DVD ripping = BluRay disc with lots of content on it =
    Me buying a BluRay burner, bluRay media, BluRay set top player.

    -goro-

    Goro, Aug 25, 2005

  3. Guest

    Biz Guest

    Norman, many many operas have LPCM 2.0 sound, in fact all I have seen did.
    I only know of a few that have surround sound(like DD 5.1 or DTS)

    Biz, Aug 25, 2005
  4. Guest

    Galley Guest

    On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 08:22:23 -0700, <> spewed forth
    these words of wisdom:

    >I've been trying to imagine a good use for a 30GB disc. How about an entire
    >season of a 1 hour TV series? That's about 1000 minutes; just right for
    >Blu-Ray. Of course, that's not what they're going to do with it. The one
    >thing Hollywood doesn't want is a disc with a lot of time on it. They're
    >perfectly happy to give you better and better resolution, extras, etc., but
    >not more time.
    >
    >DVD would have been perfect for entire operas at full CD quality; 16 bit,
    >48K PCM is a DVD standard, but I'm not aware of any commercial release using
    >it.
    >
    >Norm Strong

    Could Wagner's "The Ring Cycle" fit on one disc? Isn't that 14-16 hours long?
    ;-)

    Galley

    Galley, Aug 26, 2005
  5. In article <>,
    Galley <> wrote:
    >On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 08:22:23 -0700, <> spewed forth
    >these words of wisdom:
    >
    >>I've been trying to imagine a good use for a 30GB disc. How about an entire
    >>season of a 1 hour TV series? That's about 1000 minutes; just right for
    >>Blu-Ray. Of course, that's not what they're going to do with it. The one
    >>thing Hollywood doesn't want is a disc with a lot of time on it. They're
    >>perfectly happy to give you better and better resolution, extras, etc., but
    >>not more time.
    >>
    >>DVD would have been perfect for entire operas at full CD quality; 16 bit,
    >>48K PCM is a DVD standard, but I'm not aware of any commercial release using
    >>it.
    >>
    >>Norm Strong

    >Could Wagner's "The Ring Cycle" fit on one disc? Isn't that 14-16 hours long?
    >;-)

    I think there are six - or perhaps 7 - in my DVDs of that.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

    Bill Vermillion, Aug 28, 2005