Blu-ray better than HD-DVD. Claim

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Allan, Jul 13, 2005.

  1. Allan

    Allan Guest

    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=24588

    Blu-ray better than HD-DVD. Claim

    Poll position

    By INQUIRER staff: Wednesday 13 July 2005, 11:22
    THE BLU-RAY Disc Association (BDA) has commissioned a survey which
    shows - quite probably to no-one's surprise - that consumers
    "overwhelmingly prefer Blu-Ray Disc" as their future format of choice.

    The association, which we'd say has a stake in this particular piece
    of real estate, said a poll conducted by firm Penn Schoen and Berland
    showed 58 per cent of 1,200 consumers preferred Blu-Ray Disc, 26 per
    cent didn't know which they preferred, while 15 per cent preferred
    Toshiba-driven HD DVD.

    How did the people make their choice? The BDA said they were given a
    side by side comparison of the two formats and supplied with info
    including tech company support, Hollywood studio support, gaming
    console support, disk capacity, film title availability and launch
    dates.

    The BDA's members include Sony, Apple, Dell, HP, Hitachi, Panasonic,
    Philips and TDK.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_
    Allan, Jul 13, 2005

  2. Allan

    RichA Guest

    On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 09:54:13 -0400, Allan
    <> wrote:

    >http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=24588
    >
    >Blu-ray better than HD-DVD. Claim
    >
    >Poll position
    >
    >By INQUIRER staff: Wednesday 13 July 2005, 11:22
    >THE BLU-RAY Disc Association (BDA) has commissioned a survey which
    >shows - quite probably to no-one's surprise - that consumers
    >"overwhelmingly prefer Blu-Ray Disc" as their future format of choice.
    >
    >The association, which we'd say has a stake in this particular piece
    >of real estate, said a poll conducted by firm Penn Schoen and Berland
    >showed 58 per cent of 1,200 consumers preferred Blu-Ray Disc, 26 per
    >cent didn't know which they preferred, while 15 per cent preferred
    >Toshiba-driven HD DVD.

    Factor out the dumbasses who voted blu-ray because it was "bigger"
    (can you imagine how they had to word this to get through to the
    stupid public??!) and the tables would probably show 80% didn't know
    which one to support.
    -Rich

    RichA, Jul 13, 2005

  3. Allan

    Alpha Guest

    Blu-Ray is also a sexier moniker and conjures up in the current generations
    the Star Wars metaphors of light sabers, etc.
    Alpha, Jul 13, 2005
  4. Allan

    Tarkus Guest

    On 7/13/2005 12:47:02 PM, Alpha wrote:

    > Blu-Ray is also a sexier moniker and conjures up in the current
    > generations the Star Wars metaphors of light sabers, etc.

    But HD-DVD sounds more like an extension of the current DVD format, and
    therefore, a more logical, and less risky, successor.
    --
    "I don't reckon I got no reason to kill nobody. Mmm."

    Now playing: "Mahogany Rush - Crossroads"
    Tarkus, Jul 13, 2005
  5. Alpha wrote:
    > Blu-Ray is also a sexier moniker and conjures up in the current generations
    > the Star Wars metaphors of light sabers, etc.

    Blu-Ray makes me think of Blu-tooth, and Blu-tooth makes me think of a
    dorky cartoon fish, actually....

    John

    The Man Behind The Curtain, Jul 14, 2005
  6. Allan

    RichA Guest

    On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 14:14:55 -0700, Tarkus <> wrote:

    >On 7/13/2005 12:47:02 PM, Alpha wrote:
    >
    >> Blu-Ray is also a sexier moniker and conjures up in the current
    >> generations the Star Wars metaphors of light sabers, etc.

    >But HD-DVD sounds more like an extension of the current DVD format, and
    >therefore, a more logical, and less risky, successor.

    It also didn't need new production techniques and CADDIES.
    Oh sorry, I forgot; Blu-Ray has a new coating that won't
    scratch. Right.
    RichA, Jul 14, 2005
  7. Allan

    Mark Spatny Guest

    On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 23:50:22 GMT, The Man Behind The Curtain
    <> wrote:

    >Blu-Ray makes me think of Blu-tooth, and Blu-tooth makes me think of a
    >dorky cartoon fish, actually....

    Blu-tooth makes *me* think of a dorky sales dweeb wearing a
    7-of-9-like cell phone earpiece.
    Mark Spatny, Jul 14, 2005
  8. Allan

    Allan Guest

    On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 21:48:31 -0400, RichA <> wrote:

    >It also didn't need new production techniques and CADDIES.
    >Oh sorry, I forgot; Blu-Ray has a new coating that won't
    >scratch. Right.

    http://www.blu-ray.com/faq/#1.10

    1.10 Will Blu-ray discs require a cartridge?

    No, the development of new cost-effective hard-coating technologies
    has made the cartridge obsolete. Blu-ray will instead rely on
    hard-coating for protection, which when applied will make the discs
    even more resistant to scratches and fingerprints than todays DVDs,
    while still preserving the same look and feel. The adoption of
    hard-coating will also allow manufacturers to downsize players/drives
    and lower their overall media production costs.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_
    Allan, Jul 14, 2005
  9. Allan

    Alpha Guest

    "Allan" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 21:48:31 -0400, RichA <> wrote:
    >

    >>It also didn't need new production techniques and CADDIES.
    >>Oh sorry, I forgot; Blu-Ray has a new coating that won't
    >>scratch. Right.

    > http://www.blu-ray.com/faq/#1.10
    >
    > 1.10 Will Blu-ray discs require a cartridge?
    >
    > No, the development of new cost-effective hard-coating technologies
    > has made the cartridge obsolete. Blu-ray will instead rely on
    > hard-coating for protection, which when applied will make the discs
    > even more resistant to scratches and fingerprints than todays DVDs,
    > while still preserving the same look and feel. The adoption of
    > hard-coating will also allow manufacturers to downsize players/drives

    There is not a single production machine, and only a few demo machines and
    discs, that confirm the ability of Blu-ray to be without the cartridge.

    Wait for some evidence. Blu-ray and DVD HD are both dealing with hyperbole.
    Let's see some production and results before analysis!
    Alpha, Jul 14, 2005
  10. Allan

    RichA Guest

    On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 01:33:55 -0400, Allan
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 21:48:31 -0400, RichA <> wrote:
    >

    >>It also didn't need new production techniques and CADDIES.
    >>Oh sorry, I forgot; Blu-Ray has a new coating that won't
    >>scratch. Right.

    >http://www.blu-ray.com/faq/#1.10
    >
    >1.10 Will Blu-ray discs require a cartridge?
    >
    >No, the development of new cost-effective hard-coating technologies
    >has made the cartridge obsolete. Blu-ray will instead rely on
    >hard-coating for protection, which when applied will make the discs
    >even more resistant to scratches and fingerprints than todays DVDs,
    >while still preserving the same look and feel. The adoption of
    >hard-coating will also allow manufacturers to downsize players/drives
    >and lower their overall media production costs.

    Lower than what, HD-DVD? Sorry, I'm not buying it.
    If companies go HD, they can release $500 machines right away.
    If they go blu-ray, machines will cost $1000 each in the beginning.
    BTW; The Japanese apparently have blu-ray recorders.
    Are there NO pictures of these caddyless discs out there?
    They must be using something?
    -Rich
    RichA, Jul 14, 2005
  11. Allan

    RichA Guest

    On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 23:18:55 -0700, "Alpha" <> wrote:

    >"Allan" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 21:48:31 -0400, RichA <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>It also didn't need new production techniques and CADDIES.
    >>>Oh sorry, I forgot; Blu-Ray has a new coating that won't
    >>>scratch. Right.

    >> http://www.blu-ray.com/faq/#1.10
    >>
    >> 1.10 Will Blu-ray discs require a cartridge?
    >>
    >> No, the development of new cost-effective hard-coating technologies
    >> has made the cartridge obsolete. Blu-ray will instead rely on
    >> hard-coating for protection, which when applied will make the discs
    >> even more resistant to scratches and fingerprints than todays DVDs,
    >> while still preserving the same look and feel. The adoption of
    >> hard-coating will also allow manufacturers to downsize players/drives

    >There is not a single production machine, and only a few demo machines and
    >discs, that confirm the ability of Blu-ray to be without the cartridge.
    >
    >Wait for some evidence. Blu-ray and DVD HD are both dealing with hyperbole.
    >Let's see some production and results before analysis!

    We don't need to see them (thought it would be nice) to know blu-ray
    is expensive, more complex and only in the best interests of the mfgs
    who have a vested interest in it. For the consumer, it is a bad move,
    if that's what is chosen.
    RichA, Jul 14, 2005
  12. Allan

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, Mark Spatny <> wrote:
    >On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 23:50:22 GMT, The Man Behind The Curtain
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Blu-Ray makes me think of Blu-tooth, and Blu-tooth makes me think of a
    >>dorky cartoon fish, actually....

    >Blu-tooth makes *me* think of a dorky sales dweeb wearing a
    >7-of-9-like cell phone earpiece.

    Just the fact that you refer to a "Star Trek" character rings of dorkness!
    GMAN, Jul 14, 2005
  13. Allan

    Allan Guest

    On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 02:38:38 -0400, RichA <> wrote:

    >BTW; The Japanese apparently have blu-ray recorders.
    >Are there NO pictures of these caddyless discs out there?
    >They must be using something?

    http://www.blu-ray.com/media/

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_
    Allan, Jul 14, 2005
  14. Allan

    RichA Guest

    On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 10:07:03 -0400, Allan
    <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 02:38:38 -0400, RichA <> wrote:
    >

    >>BTW; The Japanese apparently have blu-ray recorders.
    >>Are there NO pictures of these caddyless discs out there?
    >>They must be using something?

    >http://www.blu-ray.com/media/

    Thanks, that's interesting. Some stand alone, some in caddies.
    It should be interesting to see how one machine can deal with them
    both, or will certain machines be confined to only certain media?
    -Rich

    RichA, Jul 14, 2005
  15. Allan

    Alpha Guest

    "RichA" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 10:07:03 -0400, Allan
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 02:38:38 -0400, RichA <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>BTW; The Japanese apparently have blu-ray recorders.
    >>>Are there NO pictures of these caddyless discs out there?
    >>>They must be using something?

    >>http://www.blu-ray.com/media/
    >>

    > Thanks, that's interesting. Some stand alone, some in caddies.
    > It should be interesting to see how one machine can deal with them
    > both, or will certain machines be confined to only certain media?
    > -Rich

    None of the now-available machines work without caddys.
    Alpha, Jul 14, 2005
  16. Allan

    Allan Guest

    Allan, Jul 15, 2005
  17. Allan

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Allan" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    >>None of the now-available machines work without caddys.

    > http://www.blu-ray.com/faq/#1.10
    >
    > 1.10 Will Blu-ray discs require a cartridge?
    >
    > No, the development of new cost-effective hard-coating technologies
    > has made the cartridge obsolete.

    That FAQ is regarding the upcoming Blu-Ray pre-recorded disc format.
    Existing Blu-Ray recorders which have been available in Japan for almost
    2 years require a cartridge. Those recorders will only play back
    material recorded on them, and will not be compatible with the new
    pre-recorded format.
    Joshua Zyber, Jul 15, 2005
  18. Allan

    3W Guest

    "RichA" <> wrote in message
    > If companies go HD, they can release $500 machines right away.
    > If they go blu-ray, machines will cost $1000 each in the beginning.

    We will find that out pretty soon, won't we? Personally, I think two
    competing formats will actually be a good thing, by driving down price. And
    if no clear winner is established quickly, we will of course see dual format
    players.
    3W, Jul 15, 2005
  19. Allan

    Alpha Guest

    So what? It changes nothing about my statement.

    Alpha, Jul 15, 2005
  20. Allan

    GMAN Guest

    In article <TVDBe.23146$>, "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote:
    >"Allan" <> wrote in
    >message news:...
    >>>None of the now-available machines work without caddys.

    >> http://www.blu-ray.com/faq/#1.10
    >>
    >> 1.10 Will Blu-ray discs require a cartridge?
    >>
    >> No, the development of new cost-effective hard-coating technologies
    >> has made the cartridge obsolete.

    >That FAQ is regarding the upcoming Blu-Ray pre-recorded disc format.
    >Existing Blu-Ray recorders which have been available in Japan for almost
    >2 years require a cartridge. Those recorders will only play back
    >material recorded on them, and will not be compatible with the new
    >pre-recorded format.

    Sucks to be early adopters
    GMAN, Jul 15, 2005