    Thanks for any advise.
    Sheepishly,
    Jer

    Maskman, Sep 10, 2004

  2. Maskman

    PC Guest

    "Maskman" <> wrote in message
    news:kk60d.143204$9d6.34974@attbi_s54...
    > Frankly I'm feeling a bit embarrassed asking cuz I shoulda known better
    > but over and again I found people on these forums help me solve computer
    > problems. Long story short, in changing over 'guts' from one computer to
    > another, I touched the power plub to a hard drive receptacle the opposite
    > way it was supposed to (computer running) and blew something ( I heard the
    > blup and it shut down). The system will not restart although I can see a
    > liight on the video card so I guess it's not completely dead.
    > Is it likely the power supply, the switch, or something more severe?
    > Thanks for any advise.
    > Sheepishly,
    > Jer

    Disconnect everything except the power supply, motherboard, and CPU without
    Ram & Video and see if it will start. It should give you lots of beep codes
    ..
    If you do get signs of life, connect the rest back one item at a time till
    you find the culprit starting with Ram & Video, if not test Power supply,
    CPU etc by substitution in another going machine (that uses the same spec
    parts e.g. AMD cpu, DDR ram etc)

    Do ALL dis/connections with the mains power DISCONNECTED.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Sep 10, 2004