    dead actors (on the screen that is).

    --
    Bob D.
    Bob D., Dec 16, 2004

  2. Bob D.

    kaydigi Guest

    "Bob D." <> wrote in message
    news:_g7wd.660261$mD.6235@attbi_s02...
    >I just watched Spiderman 2, and was blown away by the special effects.
    >Movie technology has gotten to the point were they can make anything look
    >absolutely real. I think it's just a matter of time before they bring back
    >dead actors (on the screen that is).
    >
    > --
    > Bob D.

    I thought Spider-man 2 was great but the special effects to me are nowhere
    near life like.
    kaydigi, Dec 16, 2004

  3. Bob D.

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Bob D. wrote:
    > I just watched Spiderman 2, and was blown away by the special
    > effects. Movie technology has gotten to the point were they can make
    > anything look absolutely real. I think it's just a matter of time
    > before they bring back dead actors (on the screen that is).

    Heh, haven't seen "Sky Captain" yet, have you? ;)

    Mike Kohary, Dec 16, 2004
  4. Bob D.

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Bob D." <> wrote in message
    > I think it's just a matter of time before they bring back dead actors
    > (on the screen that is).

    You mean like Gene Kelly shilling for vacuum cleaners, John Wayne
    searching for a refreshing beer, or Bing Crosby singing a duet with Clay
    Aiken? I can't wait for the day when all of that is possible...
    Joshua Zyber, Dec 16, 2004
  5. Bob D.

    Tarkus Guest

    On 12/15/2004 7:27:54 PM, Bob D. wrote:

    > I just watched Spiderman 2, and was blown away by the special effects.
    > Movie technology has gotten to the point were they can make anything
    > look absolutely real. I think it's just a matter of time before they
    > bring back dead actors (on the screen that is).

    Cool, there's hope for Keanu Reeves!
    --
    "No one needs to know about this except you, me and Mr. Soon-to-be-
    living-the-rest-of-his-short-ass-life-in-agonizing-pain-rapist here."
    Tarkus, Dec 16, 2004
  6. Bob D.

    Larry Guest

    In article <_g7wd.660261$mD.6235@attbi_s02>, says...
    > I just watched Spiderman 2, and was blown away by the special effects. Movie
    > technology has gotten to the point were they can make anything look
    > absolutely real. I think it's just a matter of time before they bring back
    > dead actors (on the screen that is).

    Though I thought the new camera system they used to "Swoop" through the
    streets and builings did a MUCH better job than a CGI cityscape could do, the
    movie overall did NOT "blow me away".

    Dont get me wrong, Im a "Spidey" fan, and there is a lot to like in BOTH the
    Spiderman movies, but they are just good clean fun flicks.. not Masterpieces.

    The first "Superman" was IMO a "Masterpiece" especially if you consider the
    pressure it was made under, and the fact that it was almost totally Practical
    effects.

    That movie probably couldn't be made today, the budget would FORCE the use of
    animation and/or CGI.

    As far as bringing back dead actors, it allready being done almost nightly in
    the commercials on network TV.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.
    Larry, Dec 16, 2004
  7. Bob D.

    TSKO Guest

    "Bob D." <> wrote in message
    >I just watched Spiderman 2, and was blown away by the special effects.
    >Movie technology has gotten to the point were they can make anything look
    >absolutely real. I think it's just a matter of time before they bring back
    >dead actors (on the screen that is).
    >
    > --
    > Bob D.

    I thought some of the shots were a little too digital. The first time we
    see SpiderMan in the movie....he just looks too digital to me. Great movie
    though...and fun...and IMO, that surpasses the whole "too digital" aspect of
    it
    TSKO, Dec 16, 2004
  8. Bob D.

    Video Flyer Guest

    On 12/16/04 6:08 AM, in article
    , "Larry"
    <> wrote:

    > The first "Superman" was IMO a "Masterpiece" especially if you consider the
    > pressure it was made under, and the fact that it was almost totally Practical
    > effects.
    >
    > That movie probably couldn't be made today, the budget would FORCE the use of
    > animation and/or CGI.

    All other things being equal (in other words, if we assume that nothing's
    being changed except the swapping in of CGI effects for the practical
    effects originally used), I'd be willing to bet that Superman would look a
    lot better. Different, certainly - and many, if not most, fans would likely
    prefer the original. But for folks who hadn't seen the original, I'll bet
    the CGI version would be preferred.

    Don't get ME wrong....I'm very fond of that movie and it's particular look
    (you know, once they fixed that silly color shift to green on Supe's uniform
    in the remastering). And it's tremendously impressive that it was all
    accomplished without a whiff of computer code. But, then again, I'm sure
    that the filmmakers wouldn't have had to have their arms twisted to get them
    to substitute CGI if the technology had been available.

    Neal
    Video Flyer, Dec 16, 2004
  9. >You mean like Gene Kelly shilling for vacuum cleaners, John Wayne
    >searching for a refreshing beer, or Bing Crosby singing a duet with Clay
    >Aiken? I can't wait for the day when all of that is possible...

    How about the latest:

    Steve McQueen driving the 2005 Ford Mustang. - Reinhart
    LASERandDVDfan, Dec 16, 2004
  10. >The first "Superman" was IMO a "Masterpiece" especially if you consider the
    >pressure it was made under, and the fact that it was almost totally Practical
    >
    >effects.

    And it was the first Salkind production.

    On pre-production, nobody took them seriously ... until news spread around that
    actors like Marlon Brando, Gene Hackman, and Ned Beatty were signed to star in
    it.
    LASERandDVDfan, Dec 16, 2004
  11. >All other things being equal (in other words, if we assume that nothing's
    >being changed except the swapping in of CGI effects for the practical
    >effects originally used), I'd be willing to bet that Superman would look a
    >lot better.

    Maybe, maybe not. It still depends on the skill of the VFX artists.

    Give a crappy artist the best tools and it will still look like it was done by
    a crappy artist.

    Now, one aspect that would certainly look improved would be matte work chroma
    key. Let's face it, computers have allowed incredible matte work and chroma
    key.
    "Multiplicity" is one such film where the chroma key for Micheal Keaton's
    characters were splendidly done with computers. - Reinhart
    LASERandDVDfan, Dec 16, 2004
  12. Bob D.

    Video Flyer Guest

    On 12/16/04 2:50 PM, in article
    , "LASERandDVDfan"
    <> wrote:

    >> All other things being equal (in other words, if we assume that nothing's
    >> being changed except the swapping in of CGI effects for the practical
    >> effects originally used), I'd be willing to bet that Superman would look a
    >> lot better.

    > Maybe, maybe not. It still depends on the skill of the VFX artists.
    >
    > Give a crappy artist the best tools and it will still look like it was done by
    > a crappy artist.

    _______________________________

    No argument there. But there was a helluva lot of talent at work on that
    film, clearly. I was assuming a equivalently high degree of CGI skill.

    _______________________________

    Video Flyer, Dec 16, 2004
  13. Bob D.

    Jordan Guest

    Some of the effects were awe-inspiring and others just looked bad.

    Good - Doc Ock throwing the car through the window and walking through
    the glass... the arms were completely computer generated there.

    Bad - Mostly the really long distance shots. Doc Ock climbing up the
    building from 10 blocks away...

    The medium shots with Spidey fighting Doc looked fine, it was just the
    long distance shots that didn't look right.

    - Jordan
    Jordan, Dec 16, 2004
  14. (LASERandDVDfan) wrote in

    >>You mean like Gene Kelly shilling for vacuum cleaners, John Wayne
    >>searching for a refreshing beer, or Bing Crosby singing a duet with Clay
    >>Aiken? I can't wait for the day when all of that is possible...

    > How about the latest:
    >
    > Steve McQueen driving the 2005 Ford Mustang. - Reinhart

    Martin Luther King, Jr. advertising for Cingular was pretty crass, too.
    Salvator Ruiz, Dec 17, 2004
  15. Bob D.

    Bob D. Guest

    I wonder if they could film an actor that could impersonate, say Groucho
    Marx's voice, and then have a computer change his face to look like Groucho
    Marx.

    Say wasn't there a movie years ago where people's images were digitized.
    Afterwards they could make computer generated videos of them. In the plot,
    the bad guys were going to broadcast a fake announcement by a digitized
    President. Perhaps this isn't science fiction anymore. They've done it with
    dinosaurs!

    --
    Bob D.

    Bob D., Dec 17, 2004
  16. Bob D.

    Mark Spatny Guest

    Bob D., says...
    > I wonder if they could film an actor that could impersonate, say Groucho
    > Marx's voice, and then have a computer change his face to look like Groucho
    > Marx.

    Yeah, because that would be so much cheaper than just making someone up
    to look like Groucho.
    Mark Spatny, Dec 17, 2004
  17. >I thought Spider-man 2 was great but the special effects to me are nowhere
    >near life like.

    I found the special effects very real, in a comic book sense. Sound,
    espeicially bass was great. Everytime Doc Ock took a step my apt shook! And,
    that's without a sub woofer!
    Best,

    Mark Allen Zimmerman * Chicago
    MarkZimmerman, Dec 18, 2004
  18. >Dont get me wrong, Im a "Spidey" fan, and there is a lot to like in BOTH the
    >Spiderman movies, but they are just good clean fun flicks.. not Masterpieces.

    Bah Humbug! I rate them right up there with the Bible! :)

    MarkZimmerman, Dec 18, 2004
  19. LASERandDVDfan wrote:
    >>You mean like Gene Kelly shilling for vacuum cleaners, John Wayne
    >>searching for a refreshing beer, or Bing Crosby singing a duet with Clay
    >>Aiken? I can't wait for the day when all of that is possible...

    > How about the latest:
    >
    > Steve McQueen driving the 2005 Ford Mustang. - Reinhart

    That was the first thing that came to my mind; if anyone hasn't seen
    that awesome clip you can find some stills of it at
    http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/ads/05/#cornfield That site use to have
    the whole video posted but I believe they may have taken it down.
    Nicholas Andrade, Dec 19, 2004