Blowing out Canon's "M"

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Jul 5, 2013.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    RichA, Jul 5, 2013

  2. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    Robert Coe, Jul 5, 2013

  3. RichA

    otter Guest

    otter, Jul 6, 2013
  4. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    Robert Coe, Jul 6, 2013
  5. RichA

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Fri, 05 Jul 2013 20:30:29 -0500, otter <>
    wrote:

    >On 7/4/2013 11:42 PM, RichA wrote:
    >> Looks like something new is coming, or they've killed it.
    >>
    >> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/883304-REG/Canon_6609b033_EOS_M_Digital_Camera_with.html
    >>

    >Canon has openly hinted that a dual pixel version is coming. Still,
    >that is a very attractive price.

    Read the reviews, though, about slow auto focus. That's a killer
    flaw, in my opinion.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL
    Tony Cooper, Jul 6, 2013
  6. Tony Cooper <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 05 Jul 2013 20:30:29 -0500, otter <>
    >>On 7/4/2013 11:42 PM, RichA wrote:

    >>> Looks like something new is coming, or they've killed it.

    >>> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/883304-REG/Canon_6609b033_EOS_M_Digital_Camera_with.html

    >>Canon has openly hinted that a dual pixel version is coming. Still,
    >>that is a very attractive price.

    > Read the reviews, though, about slow auto focus. That's a killer
    > flaw, in my opinion.

    That's why dual pixel.

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jul 6, 2013
  7. RichA

    Mort Guest

    RichA wrote:
    > Looks like something new is coming, or they've killed it.
    >
    > http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/883304-REG/Canon_6609b033_EOS_M_Digital_Camera_with.html

    Hi,

    I just read that an official Canon software update for the Canon M will
    be out in 2 months, and that it will increase focus speed by 2.3 times.
    If correct, that might change one's mind about buying the M now and
    then getting the (free?) update in September. Of course, the expected
    dual pixel model might be even faster, but the price difference will be
    substantial.

    Mort Linder
    Mort, Jul 9, 2013
  8. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Mon, 08 Jul 2013 21:08:47 -0400, Mort <> wrote:
    : RichA wrote:
    : > Looks like something new is coming, or they've killed it.
    : >
    : > http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/883304-REG/Canon_6609b033_EOS_M_Digital_Camera_with.html
    : >
    :
    : Hi,
    :
    : I just read that an official Canon software update for the Canon M will
    : be out in 2 months, and that it will increase focus speed by 2.3 times.
    : If correct, that might change one's mind about buying the M now and
    : then getting the (free?) update

    In my experience, all such Canon updates are free.

    : in September. Of course, the expected dual pixel model might be even
    : faster, but the price difference will be substantial.

    Yes, but with a camera as expensive as the M already is, the Grand Omission is
    an eye-level viewfinder, not faster AF (as important as the latter is). I
    continue to believe that that omission was because of a shortage of power. But
    I also continue to believe that better battery technology will eventually
    solve that problem if Canon and its user community can exercise enough
    patience.

    All(?) of us believe that new viewfinder technology will render the DSLR
    obsolete, and those of us of a certain age (or older) hope we live to see it
    happen. But you have to start somewhere. And so far, the M (and NOT the
    mirrorless Nikons) shows a glimmer of promise of being that starting point.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Jul 10, 2013
  9. Robert Coe <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 08 Jul 2013 21:08:47 -0400, Mort <> wrote:

    >: in September. Of course, the expected dual pixel model might be even
    >: faster, but the price difference will be substantial.

    > Yes, but with a camera as expensive as the M already is, the Grand Omission is
    > an eye-level viewfinder,

    If you want a viewfinder, use the 100D.

    > not faster AF (as important as the latter is). I
    > continue to believe that that omission was because of a shortage of power.

    It was far more likely one of size.

    > All(?) of us believe that new viewfinder technology will render the DSLR
    > obsolete,

    And putting our industries on the moon will only damage the
    lunar ecosystem. Hopefully that'll happen soonish. I won't
    hold my breath, though.

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jul 10, 2013