    not going to attempt to explain this film." He doesn't even go into any of
    the many interpretations. He basically spends the whole commentary saying
    this means something but I won't or can't say what.

    Seminal Johnson, May 20, 2004

  2. Seminal Johnson

    Dennis Kuhn Guest

    "Seminal Johnson" <> wrote in message news:<H73rc.833$>...
    > Damn, this was annoying! The guy is supposedly an Antonioni scholar but he
    > actually says something like, "There have been many interpretations but I'm
    > not going to attempt to explain this film." He doesn't even go into any of
    > the many interpretations. He basically spends the whole commentary saying
    > this means something but I won't or can't say what.

    Ack. Almost sounds like he was somehow obligated to record the
    commentary against his will.

    I was really annoyed when I got the Total Recall DVD, and sat through
    scenes where Arnold S. would offer this sort of insight:

    [Scene with Arnold's character hijacking a taxicab, which spins out of
    control]

    ARNOLD: Oh! Here's da scene vhere I take over da Johnny Cab! That
    was fun to shoot!

    Dennis

    Dennis Kuhn, May 20, 2004

  3. Seminal Johnson

    mercutio Guest

    On Thu, 20 May 2004 14:19:19 +0000, Seminal Johnson wrote:

    > Damn, this was annoying! The guy is supposedly an Antonioni scholar but he
    > actually says something like, "There have been many interpretations but I'm
    > not going to attempt to explain this film." He doesn't even go into any of
    > the many interpretations. He basically spends the whole commentary saying
    > this means something but I won't or can't say what.

    Classic artistic BS. Oldest scam in the intelligentsia playbook. Create
    something obscure and ill defined. Then be mysterious and evasive when
    discussing it. The gullible chattering class is scared to death to not
    "get it" and will thusly declare your work profound. Works every time.

    mercutio, May 21, 2004
  4. "mercutio" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 20 May 2004 14:19:19 +0000, Seminal Johnson wrote:
    >
    > > Damn, this was annoying! The guy is supposedly an Antonioni scholar but

    he
    > > actually says something like, "There have been many interpretations but

    I'm
    > > not going to attempt to explain this film." He doesn't even go into any

    of
    > > the many interpretations. He basically spends the whole commentary

    saying
    > > this means something but I won't or can't say what.

    > Classic artistic BS. Oldest scam in the intelligentsia playbook. Create
    > something obscure and ill defined. Then be mysterious and evasive when
    > discussing it. The gullible chattering class is scared to death to not
    > "get it" and will thusly declare your work profound. Works every time.

    If people are intellectually intimidated that their interpretation or
    explanation will be questioned or refuted and so prefer to believe they are
    being conned by the artist or critic, that's their problem. I don't disagree
    that there are a lot of way out there interpretations of just about
    everything, but that doesn't equate to a work in question actually being
    without meaning or merit. My problem with this expert is he didn't even
    mention some of the major interpretations of "Blow-up" and it is the kind of
    rare influential and significant film that can be interpreted without being
    silly. I don't believe was made ambiguous on purpose to fool people.

    I don't need his interpretation and wouldn't consider it the last word even
    if he had something to say, but his commentary was a colossal waste of time.
    I gave up and fast forwarded to favorite scenes in the hopes he'd have
    anything to say but he didn't really. The closest he came was the Yardbirds
    scene where he discussed how the value of the broken guitar neck was
    entirely dependent on the context. It's worth fighting over in the
    nightclub, but becomes a piece of unwanted garbage moments later once out in
    the street. In every other instance he was beyond elusive. Like the final
    scene. He talks about how it is significant that the camera tracks along the
    grass following the mime's invisible ball, but he refuses to offer one
    single idea of why he thinks that. If he'd offered just one explanation or
    insight along the lines of the guitar neck I would have been satisfied, but
    to say something is significant but not even hint why...? I'm not even sure
    that counts as mental masturbation. More like mental impotence.

    --
    "There's a shop on the corner that's selling papier-mâché
    Making bullet-proof faces, Charlie Manson, Cassius Clay"

    Seminal Johnson, May 21, 2004
  5. Seminal Johnson

    Mike Kohary Guest

    "mercutio" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 20 May 2004 14:19:19 +0000, Seminal Johnson wrote:
    >
    > > Damn, this was annoying! The guy is supposedly an Antonioni scholar but

    he
    > > actually says something like, "There have been many interpretations but

    I'm
    > > not going to attempt to explain this film." He doesn't even go into any

    of
    > > the many interpretations. He basically spends the whole commentary

    saying
    > > this means something but I won't or can't say what.

    > Classic artistic BS. Oldest scam in the intelligentsia playbook. Create
    > something obscure and ill defined. Then be mysterious and evasive when
    > discussing it. The gullible chattering class is scared to death to not
    > "get it" and will thusly declare your work profound. Works every time.

    Not on me. That artsy-fartsy stuff can blow me, if it's just art for art's
    sake. ;)

    Note this is not a commentary on Blow-Up, which I've never seen.

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, May 21, 2004
  6. Seminal Johnson

    Wade365 Guest

    Worst Commentary?

    That's GOTTA be anything Chevy Chase comments on, or perhaps "School Of
    Rock"... nothing like listening to 8-year-olds talking about how "professional"
    they thought everything went - all at the same time, like a classroom of
    'challenged' kids.

    Talk about pretentious... Snotty little gits.

    Wade365, May 22, 2004
  7. >ARNOLD: Oh! Here's da scene vhere I take over da Johnny Cab! That
    >was fun to shoot!

    another reason why I'm ashamed of being a Californian

    Vlvetmorning98, May 22, 2004
  8. Seminal Johnson

    Metlhd3138 Guest

    >"School Of
    >Rock"... nothing like listening to 8-year-olds talking about how
    >"professional"
    >they thought everything went - all at the same time, like a classroom of
    >'challenged' kids.

    Hye, i liked that commentary! If nothing else, it showed that they have good
    taste in music (praising rush, hendrix, the doors, ac/dc,metallica,ozzy,etc)

    Metlhd3138, May 23, 2004
  9. Seminal Johnson

    Wade365 Guest

    << i liked that commentary! If nothing else, it showed that they have good
    taste in music (praising rush, hendrix, the doors, ac/dc,metallica,ozzy,etc)
    >><BR><BR>

    Get'cher Bic lighters an' chain wallets out, hold 'em up REEEEEAAAL HIIIGH.

    Wade365, May 24, 2004
  10. Seminal Johnson

    Eric R. Guest

    (Vlvetmorning98) wrote in message news:<>...
    > >ARNOLD: Oh! Here's da scene vhere I take over da Johnny Cab! That
    > >was fun to shoot!

    > another reason why I'm ashamed of being a Californian

    How about the Conan commentary where he just kept repeating "Exactly!"
    over and over again to everything the director said?

    What's really scary is that he gets heavy duty $$ for his
    commentaries. I think the studio supposedly paid him $45,000 for his
    commentary on "Total Recall." Not bad for two hours work. They
    certainly didn't get much for all that money, though.

    -Eric

    Eric R., May 24, 2004
  11. Seminal Johnson

    Eric R. Guest

    mercutio <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > Classic artistic BS. Oldest scam in the intelligentsia playbook. Create
    > something obscure and ill defined. Then be mysterious and evasive when
    > discussing it. The gullible chattering class is scared to death to not
    > "get it" and will thusly declare your work profound. Works every time.

    Hey, quite a few French new wave directors created whole careers with
    that approach.

    I just love it when a film student waxes on about how brilliant Godard
    was for setting "Alphaville" in contemporary Paris when it was
    supposed to be set in the future. It never even occurs to them that
    maybe the REAL reason he did this is because it was a lot cheaper to
    film. How they look beyond the goddawful script, acting, and direction
    of that film requires a level of delusion that I will never
    understand. It probably has something to do with pseudo-intellectual
    peer pressure.

    -Eric

    Eric R., May 24, 2004
  12. Seminal Johnson

    Eric R. Guest

    (Metlhd3138) wrote in message news:<>...
    > >"School Of
    > >Rock"... nothing like listening to 8-year-olds talking about how
    > >"professional"
    > >they thought everything went - all at the same time, like a classroom of
    > >'challenged' kids.

    > Hye, i liked that commentary! If nothing else, it showed that they have good
    > taste in music (praising rush, hendrix, the doors, ac/dc,metallica,ozzy,etc)

    They only did that because someone taught them to say it. You think
    those kids would listen to any of that, left to their own devices?

    -Eric

    Eric R., May 24, 2004
  13. Seminal Johnson

    Metlhd3138 Guest

    >> >"School Of
    >> >Rock"... nothing like listening to 8-year-olds talking about how
    >> >"professional"
    >> >they thought everything went - all at the same time, like a classroom of
    >> >'challenged' kids.

    >> Hye, i liked that commentary! If nothing else, it showed that they have

    >good
    >> taste in music (praising rush, hendrix, the doors,

    >ac/dc,metallica,ozzy,etc)
    >
    >They only did that because someone taught them to say it. You think
    >those kids would listen to any of that, left to their own devices?
    >
    >-Eric

    Are you saying todays kids have no taste in music? A lot of kids are listening
    to classic rock nowadays due to the fact that most of todays popular music
    sucks (and i have to agree!)

    Metlhd3138, May 24, 2004
  14. Seminal Johnson

    Eric R. Guest

    (Metlhd3138) wrote in message news:<>...

    > Are you saying todays kids have no taste in music?

    No, I'm saying they have DIFFERENT taste in music. And even when they
    listen to the old shit, it's probably for different reasons.

    > A lot of kids are listening
    > to classic rock nowadays due to the fact that most of todays popular music
    > sucks (and i have to agree!)

    Yeah, I used to say the same thing about the shit my parents listened
    to. Now a new generation is saying it about the shit I used to listen
    to. That's just the way life goes. It's like Sick Boy's unifying
    theory in Trainspotting (available as an Special Edition DVD next
    week): At some point you've got it, then you lose it, then you die.

    -Eric

    Eric R., May 24, 2004
  15. Seminal Johnson

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>, Eric R.
    <> wrote:

    > mercutio <> wrote in message
    >
    > > Classic artistic BS. Oldest scam in the intelligentsia playbook. Create
    > > something obscure and ill defined. Then be mysterious and evasive when
    > > discussing it. The gullible chattering class is scared to death to not
    > > "get it" and will thusly declare your work profound. Works every time.

    > Hey, quite a few French new wave directors created whole careers with
    > that approach.
    >
    > I just love it when a film student waxes on about how brilliant Godard
    > was for setting "Alphaville" in contemporary Paris when it was
    > supposed to be set in the future. It never even occurs to them that
    > maybe the REAL reason he did this is because it was a lot cheaper to
    > film. How they look beyond the goddawful script, acting, and direction
    > of that film requires a level of delusion that I will never
    > understand. It probably has something to do with pseudo-intellectual
    > peer pressure.

    I like the example of the anime "Lain": are all those static shots of
    power lines a commentary on modern society, our dependence on
    electricity and the global world of the internet, or just a way to not
    have to animate 10% of each episode?

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Invid Fan, May 24, 2004
  16. Seminal Johnson

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>, Metlhd3138
    <> wrote:

    > >> Hye, i liked that commentary! If nothing else, it showed that they have

    > >good
    > >> taste in music (praising rush, hendrix, the doors,

    > >ac/dc,metallica,ozzy,etc)
    > >
    > >They only did that because someone taught them to say it. You think
    > >those kids would listen to any of that, left to their own devices?
    > >
    > >-Eric

    > Are you saying todays kids have no taste in music? A lot of kids are listening
    > to classic rock nowadays due to the fact that most of todays popular music
    > sucks (and i have to agree!)

    Still, it's going to take awhile to get into it. 8 year olds aren't
    going to be really familiar with all those groups.

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Invid Fan, May 24, 2004
  17. Seminal Johnson

    Wade365 Guest

    << How they look beyond the goddawful script, acting, and direction
    > of that film requires a level of delusion that I will never
    > understand. It probably has something to do with pseudo-intellectual
    > peer pressure. >><BR><BR>

    It's just insane, but then that's just "art". No one wants to appear stupid or
    lacking in taste.

    Wade365, May 25, 2004
  18. Seminal Johnson

    Guest

    <<<Worst Commentary?
    That's GOTTA be anything Chevy Chase comments on...>>>

    Amen to that. I recently listend to the commentary for "National
    Lampoons Vacation" (ironically,his funniest film IMO) and he came across
    as the UN-funniest of all the particiants involved. When he wasn't
    saying something totally idiotic that had nothing to do with the film
    whatsoever,he constantly interrupted those who DID have something to
    say,with his adlibbing schtick.

    , May 25, 2004
  19. Seminal Johnson

    Jordan Lund Guest

    "Seminal Johnson" <> wrote in message news:<H73rc.833$>...
    > Damn, this was annoying! The guy is supposedly an Antonioni scholar but he
    > actually says something like, "There have been many interpretations but I'm
    > not going to attempt to explain this film." He doesn't even go into any of
    > the many interpretations. He basically spends the whole commentary saying
    > this means something but I won't or can't say what.

    Sounds like the kind of commentary track that the "Blood Simple" track
    was making fun of...

    p.s. If you haven't heard it... Blood Simple has one of the funniest
    commentary tracks I've ever heard. Odd since the movie is so straight
    and serious.

    - Jordan

    Jordan Lund, May 25, 2004
  20. Seminal Johnson

    Spookshow Guest

    I just listened to the Blood Simple commentary last night. Jeez, what a
    find. When debating whether or not to pick up the DVD I always figured the
    commentary was going to be yet another dull critical analysis. What a riot,
    though. Right up there with This is Spinal Tap. Are there any others out
    there like this one (fake, satirical commentaries)? And who played Kenneth
    Loring? It kind of sounded like the guy from Best in Show.

    Movie magic!

    -Mark

    Spookshow, May 27, 2004