    and yellows. I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem with the
    same model camera or with any point-and-shoot.
    , Oct 13, 2006

  2. wrote:
    > I've taken a lot of foliage pictures this autumn and am perplexed as to
    > why shades of green, brown, black, and white "cooperate" with my Canon
    > PowerShot A620, but reds and yellows don't. Even when the aperture
    > setting and shutter speed register as a success in Manual Mode (which
    > Canon indicates with digital green "focus squares"), the photographs
    > blur the bright reds and yellows so badly that they almost look like
    > blotches of paint.
    >
    > Now that I think of it, blue also comes out well. It's just the reds
    > and yellows. I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem with the
    > same model camera or with any point-and-shoot.

    Could you post one or two of these at full size and post the link back
    here?

    --
    John McWilliams
    John McWilliams, Oct 13, 2006

  3. SimonLW Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I've taken a lot of foliage pictures this autumn and am perplexed as to
    > why shades of green, brown, black, and white "cooperate" with my Canon
    > PowerShot A620, but reds and yellows don't. Even when the aperture
    > setting and shutter speed register as a success in Manual Mode (which
    > Canon indicates with digital green "focus squares"), the photographs
    > blur the bright reds and yellows so badly that they almost look like
    > blotches of paint.
    >
    > Now that I think of it, blue also comes out well. It's just the reds
    > and yellows. I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem with the
    > same model camera or with any point-and-shoot.

    Hard to say without seeing an image, but I'd guess it is some sort of
    blooming. I recall the same problem with film when photographing candle
    flames or any point sources of red/orange/yellow light. The light hits the
    film and spreads laterally causing a haze effect around objects. Perhaps
    something similar is going on here.
    -S
    SimonLW, Oct 13, 2006
  4. Guest

    On Oct 13, 7:19 am, "SimonLW" <> wrote:

    > I recall the same problem with film when photographing candle
    > flames or any point sources of red/orange/yellow light. The light hits the
    > film and spreads laterally causing a haze effect around objects. Perhaps
    > something similar is going on here.

    Thanks for the reassurance. I'll try to post some of the worst
    examples!
    , Oct 13, 2006
  5. "John McWilliams" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:

    SNIP
    >> Now that I think of it, blue also comes out well. It's just the
    >> reds and yellows. I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem
    >> with the same model camera or with any point-and-shoot.

    > Could you post one or two of these at full size and post the link
    > back here?

    I agree with John's request. I'd guess it has to do with the quality
    of the Raw image reconstruction, for which Red poses most problems,
    but a crop of a picture may help to identify with more certainty. For
    all we know it might be the JPEG quality that causes it.

    --
    Bart
    Bart van der Wolf, Oct 13, 2006
  6. SteveB Guest

    I bet it's red channel clipping (i.e. hits 255 in RGB value).

    SteveB, Oct 13, 2006
  7. Guest

    On Oct 13, 8:50 am, "SteveB" <sbrads@nildramDOTcoDOTuk> wrote:

    > I bet it's red channel clipping (i.e. hits 255 in RGB value).

    I just finished reading the current thread explaining the difference
    between the different digital photography file formats. I assume that
    all Point and Shoots record only JPEG files (?), so I suppose--as
    another poster theorized--this explains the poor reds and yellows.

    I bought my current camera for a business-related purpose but this
    autumn became an enthusiast (as well as a leaf chaser). The
    composition of many of the pictures I took is fairly competent, so I
    considered trying to sell some as stock photographs. But from what
    I've read here, JPEG pictures are the digital equivalents of Polaroids
    or disposable film camera pictures. Certainly the reds and yellows of
    my camera are the consistency almost of tempera paint.

    Do you need a DSLR in order to compete with film photographers in
    regard to selling stock photography?

    (Apologies for the thread drift.)
    , Oct 17, 2006