    when I enter my usual password I get invalid user/password error. Any
    ideas what I could be doing wrong?
    , Jan 23, 2009

  2. Je| Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Well, I turned on my computer this morning as usual, but found that my
    > usual Xtra home page did not load. Turns out that "xtra.co.nz" no
    > longer defaults to "nz.yahoo.com". No problem, I just changed the home
    > page setting in IE. Next, I went to check my email. I started up
    > Thunderbird which I use as my email program, but got error message
    > "failed to connect to server pop3.xtra.co.nz". So I checked the Yahoo!
    > Extra help page, and concluded that I might need to change the server
    > settings
    >
    > "pop3.xtra.co.nz" to "pop.mail.yahoo.com.au"
    >
    > "send.xtra.co.nz" to "smtp.mail.yahoo.com.au"
    >
    > On doing this is appears to successfully connect to the server, but
    > when I enter my usual password I get invalid user/password error. Any
    > ideas what I could be doing wrong?

    Go to yahoo.com.au and log on.
    Open your Inbox, click on Options (top right corner).
    Click "POP Access and Forwarding".
    Check that the radio button at "Web & POP Access [POP Settings] is checked,
    I bet it isn't.
    If it isn't checked then check it.
    This has happened to me many times, they turn your pop access off whenever
    there are significant changes to Yahoo mail.

    J&H.

  3. bugalugs Guest

    wrote:
    > Well, I turned on my computer this morning as usual, but found that my
    > usual Xtra home page did not load. Turns out that "xtra.co.nz" no
    > longer defaults to "nz.yahoo.com". No problem, I just changed the home
    > page setting in IE. Next, I went to check my email. I started up
    > Thunderbird which I use as my email program, but got error message
    > "failed to connect to server pop3.xtra.co.nz". So I checked the Yahoo!
    > Extra help page, and concluded that I might need to change the server
    > settings
    >
    > "pop3.xtra.co.nz" to "pop.mail.yahoo.com.au"
    >
    > "send.xtra.co.nz" to "smtp.mail.yahoo.com.au"
    >
    > On doing this is appears to successfully connect to the server, but
    > when I enter my usual password I get invalid user/password error. Any
    > ideas what I could be doing wrong?

    I couldn't get through to my account from startup at 9.00 til just after
    11. Then with no input from me everything works again.
    bugalugs, Jan 23, 2009
  4. Dave Doe Guest

    In article <gldguv$74i$>, says...
    > wrote:
    > > Well, I turned on my computer this morning as usual, but found that my
    > > usual Xtra home page did not load. Turns out that "xtra.co.nz" no
    > > longer defaults to "nz.yahoo.com". No problem, I just changed the home
    > > page setting in IE. Next, I went to check my email. I started up
    > > Thunderbird which I use as my email program, but got error message
    > > "failed to connect to server pop3.xtra.co.nz". So I checked the Yahoo!
    > > Extra help page, and concluded that I might need to change the server
    > > settings
    > >
    > > "pop3.xtra.co.nz" to "pop.mail.yahoo.com.au"
    > >
    > > "send.xtra.co.nz" to "smtp.mail.yahoo.com.au"
    > >
    > > On doing this is appears to successfully connect to the server, but
    > > when I enter my usual password I get invalid user/password error. Any
    > > ideas what I could be doing wrong?

    > I couldn't get through to my account from startup at 9.00 til just after
    > 11. Then with no input from me everything works again.

    I'd have to agree with Collector :)

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Jan 23, 2009
  5. Hank Scorpio Guest

    Nothing personal DaveDoe or Collector, but I wonder whether people, like me,
    get fed up of reading these smart-a** replies, which offer no new help or
    information. "Yes: here's my advice: you shouldn't be using
    Windows/Xtra/Vista". Great contribution. These replies are as predictable as
    they are pointless. If you must pat yourselves on the back for being wise
    and prescient, can't you do it in private?
    Hank Scorpio, Jan 23, 2009
  6. Carnations Guest

    On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 12:59:41 +1300, Hank Scorpio wrote:

    > "Yes: here's my advice: you shouldn't be using Windows/Xtra/Vista".
    > Greatb contribution.

    Indeed it is. Xtra clearly is not letting you know in advance of anything
    that it proposes to do with the service that you've contracted to them.

    Microsoft Windows (including the "Vista" version) is inferior software.
    You truly should not be using it if you want the best.

    --
    Dilger: "Microsoft is first and foremost a marketing
    company that flogs third rate technology products."
    Carnations, Jan 24, 2009
  7. Enkidu Guest

    Hank Scorpio wrote:

    > Nothing personal DaveDoe or Collector, but I wonder whether people,
    > like me, get fed up of reading these smart-a** replies, which offer
    > no new help or information. "Yes: here's my advice: you shouldn't be
    > using Windows/Xtra/Vista".

    Did it ever occur to you that the reason you see so many requests for
    help with Xtra is because Xtra is rubbish? And the help that they
    provide is rubbish? You don't see nearly as many people asking for help
    for other ISPs.

    > Great contribution. These replies are as predictable as they are
    > pointless. If you must pat yourselves on the back for being wise and
    > prescient, can't you do it in private?

    The point is that you can do something about it. Move to a different
    ISP. I think that the only reason people don't move is fear of the unknown.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    Linux is theft.
    Enkidu, Jan 24, 2009
  8. Dave Doe Guest

    In article <gldllc$rj$>, says...
    > Nothing personal DaveDoe or Collector, but I wonder whether people, like me,
    > get fed up of reading these smart-a** replies, which offer no new help or
    > information. "Yes: here's my advice: you shouldn't be using
    > Windows/Xtra/Vista". Great contribution. These replies are as predictable as
    > they are pointless. If you must pat yourselves on the back for being wise
    > and prescient, can't you do it in private?

    Nothing personal taken. But hey my advice is serious - you're just *not*
    gonna get good service from Xtra.

    One sorta wonders indeed, why the OP posted here, given the problem was
    with Xtra - a simple phone call (not that simple when you phone Xtra
    though) is all it takes - in short, if you have an ISP problem, you talk
    to the ISP.

    I've been doing IT support for more than 15 years and I've helped do
    ISP's helpdesk jobs for lots of 'em, including Xtra. But no more. If I
    client has Xtra, the client deals with Xtra (I don't). I provide them
    my advice, switch ISP's - that's all they'll get from me re Xtra support
    thesedays. And I fervently stand by that advice.

    Thesedays I continue to get phone calls from clients, "I can't get my
    email, please help". Xtra? Yep. Change ISP's, meantime phone Xtra.

    Ditch Xtra, they're just not worth the money or hassle.

    Do you believe me? Do you believe the Consumer Mag? Other NZ IT mags?
    Xtra rate a distant bottom of the list and have done for a couple of
    years or so.

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Jan 24, 2009
  9. Je| Guest

    "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    > Hank Scorpio wrote:
    >>
    >> Nothing personal DaveDoe or Collector, but I wonder whether people,
    >> like me, get fed up of reading these smart-a** replies, which offer
    >> no new help or information. "Yes: here's my advice: you shouldn't be
    >> using Windows/Xtra/Vista".
    >>

    > Did it ever occur to you that the reason you see so many requests for
    > help with Xtra is because Xtra is rubbish? And the help that they
    > provide is rubbish? You don't see nearly as many people asking for help
    > for other ISPs.

    Anyone with an ounce of fairness would actually correctly conclude that
    since they're the biggest ISP, more users asking for help will be with them.
    Furthermore whether or not you run Xp, Vista, or Linux won't matter a damn
    if your mail server has issues.

    >> Great contribution. These replies are as predictable as they are
    >> pointless. If you must pat yourselves on the back for being wise and
    >> prescient, can't you do it in private?
    >>

    > The point is that you can do something about it. Move to a different ISP.
    > I think that the only reason people don't move is fear of the unknown.

    Personally I dropped Xtra as soon as my contract was up and have been with
    others for years now.
    Their helpdesk is just absolutely terrible.

  10. Je| Guest

    "bugalugs" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    >> Well, I turned on my computer this morning as usual, but found that my
    >> usual Xtra home page did not load. Turns out that "xtra.co.nz" no
    >> longer defaults to "nz.yahoo.com". No problem, I just changed the home
    >> page setting in IE. Next, I went to check my email. I started up
    >> Thunderbird which I use as my email program, but got error message
    >> "failed to connect to server pop3.xtra.co.nz". So I checked the Yahoo!
    >> Extra help page, and concluded that I might need to change the server
    >> settings
    >>
    >> "pop3.xtra.co.nz" to "pop.mail.yahoo.com.au"
    >>
    >> "send.xtra.co.nz" to "smtp.mail.yahoo.com.au"
    >>
    >> On doing this is appears to successfully connect to the server, but
    >> when I enter my usual password I get invalid user/password error. Any
    >> ideas what I could be doing wrong?

    > I couldn't get through to my account from startup at 9.00 til just after
    > 11. Then with no input from me everything works again.

    This happens periodically with Yahoo accounts. I have three that are checked
    when I send/receive and about once a fortnight one of them will keep failing
    for an hour or so. I guess the account is disabled for backup or something?
    Or possibly syncing to the I7 servers (or whatever they call their caching
    servers)?

    J&H.
  11. Enkidu Guest

    Je|<ݬ¬ & µÝÐe wrote:
    > "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    >> Hank Scorpio wrote:
    >>> Nothing personal DaveDoe or Collector, but I wonder whether
    >>> people, like me, get fed up of reading these smart-a** replies,
    >>> which offer no new help or information. "Yes: here's my advice:
    >>> you shouldn't be using Windows/Xtra/Vista".
    >>>

    >> Did it ever occur to you that the reason you see so many requests
    >> for help with Xtra is because Xtra is rubbish? And the help that
    >> they provide is rubbish? You don't see nearly as many people asking
    >> for help for other ISPs.

    > Anyone with an ounce of fairness would actually correctly conclude
    > that since they're the biggest ISP, more users asking for help will
    > be with them.

    You'd think that they would be big and professional and people wouldn't
    *need* to ask in this forum. Even if you take into account the size of
    Xtra there are many more queries from Xtra users than other ISPs' users.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    Linux is theft.
    Enkidu, Jan 24, 2009
  12. Gordon Guest

    On 2009-01-23, Hank Scorpio <> wrote:
    > Nothing personal DaveDoe or Collector, but I wonder whether people, like me,
    > get fed up of reading these smart-a** replies, which offer no new help or
    > information. "Yes: here's my advice: you shouldn't be using
    > Windows/Xtra/Vista". Great contribution. These replies are as predictable as
    > they are pointless. If you must pat yourselves on the back for being wise
    > and prescient, can't you do it in private?

    Grab a slice of reality. Use a kill file. Get over it. Sheesh
    Gordon, Jan 24, 2009
  13. Hank Scorpio Guest

    Thank you: an informative explanation as to *why* we should move from Xtra,
    rather than just a glib auto-response. This is helpful. I suspect the reason
    many of us stay with Windows/Xtra (apart from inertia) is safety in numbers.
    You will know about what has happened to thousands of unfortunate investors
    in New Zealand finance companies: no effective regulation, some dodgy
    procedures/people and they lose most of their savings. Like smaller banks
    and finance companies in other countries, they were not too big to fail. If
    there are issues with Windows or Xtra, and they turn out to be significant,
    then we have a greater chance of the big G stepping in to help. This might
    not be edifying but it is pragmatic. Regards.

    Hank Scorpio, Jan 24, 2009
  14. Enkidu Guest

    Hank Scorpio wrote:

    > Thank you: an informative explanation as to *why* we should move from
    > Xtra, rather than just a glib auto-response. This is helpful.

    Sarcasm?

    > I suspect the reason many of us stay with Windows/Xtra (apart from
    > inertia) is safety in numbers.

    Fear of the unknown, you mean. There are ISPs who have been going a lot
    longer than Xtra, and who have MUCH better Help Desks - sheesh even the
    *worst* Help Desk is probably better than Xtra's.

    > You will know about what has happened
    > to thousands of unfortunate investors in New Zealand finance
    > companies: no effective regulation, some dodgy procedures/people and
    > they lose most of their savings. Like smaller banks and finance
    > companies in other countries, they were not too big to fail. If there
    > are issues with Windows or Xtra, and they turn out to be significant,
    > then we have a greater chance of the big G stepping in to help. This
    > might not be edifying but it is pragmatic.

    So you are saying that you and thousands of other put up with bad
    service on the off-chance that the Government will step in and bail them
    out if they go broke? I don't think that they are going to go broke,
    ever, if people think like that.

    Or are you saying that you think that the Government will wade in if
    Xtra stuff up badly enough? If so, I think that you ought to buy a lotto
    ticket because there is more chance of that coming up than the
    Government ever wading in to sort out Xtra.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    Linux is theft.
    Enkidu, Jan 24, 2009
  15. Guest

    On Jan 24, 10:02 am, wrote:
    > Well, I turned on my computer this morning as usual, but found that my
    > usual Xtra home page did not load. Turns out that "xtra.co.nz" no
    > longer defaults to "nz.yahoo.com". No problem, I just changed the home
    > page setting in IE. Next, I went to check my email. I started up
    > Thunderbird which I use as my email program, but got error message
    > "failed to connect to server pop3.xtra.co.nz". So I checked the Yahoo!
    > Extra help page, and concluded that I might need to change the server
    > settings
    >
    > "pop3.xtra.co.nz" to "pop.mail.yahoo.com.au"
    >
    > "send.xtra.co.nz" to "smtp.mail.yahoo.com.au"
    >
    > On doing this is appears to successfully connect to the server, but
    > when I enter my usual password I get invalid user/password error. Any
    > ideas what I could be doing wrong?

    Okay, it appears to be working now. Thanks for all the advice. Yes, I
    could get a new ISP, except that I don't like change, so I'll stay
    where I am for the moment. I reverted to my old server settings which
    are working fine, even the old Xtra homepage "xtra.co.nz" is now
    defaulting to "nz.yahoo.com". I had initially thought it might have
    been a repeat of last time when they changed the email server settings
    and I was without email for a week, but it appears to have been only a
    temporary glitch this time.
    , Jan 24, 2009
  16. Hank Scorpio Guest

    > Sarcasm?

    No; I thought it was genuinely helpful.

    > So you are saying that you and thousands of other put up with bad service
    > on the off-chance that the Government will step in and bail them out if
    > they go broke? I don't think that they are going to go broke, ever, if
    > people think like that. Or are you saying that you think that the
    > Government will wade in if Xtra stuff up badly enough? If so, I think that
    > you ought to buy a lotto ticket because there is more chance of that
    > coming up than the Government ever wading in to sort out Xtra.

    Well I guess you are right. I actually have only good things to say about my
    11 years with Xtra, and have felt that because it's big (the biggest?) it
    wouldn't actually be allowed to perform disastrously badly. Moderately
    badly, sure, but not disastrously. However, I suppose that is naive.
    Hank Scorpio, Jan 24, 2009
  17. Enkidu Guest

    Hank Scorpio wrote:
    >> Sarcasm?

    > No; I thought it was genuinely helpful.
    >
    >> So you are saying that you and thousands of other put up with bad
    >> service on the off-chance that the Government will step in and bail
    >> them out if they go broke? I don't think that they are going to go
    >> broke, ever, if people think like that. Or are you saying that you
    >> think that the Government will wade in if Xtra stuff up badly
    >> enough? If so, I think that you ought to buy a lotto ticket because
    >> there is more chance of that coming up than the Government ever
    >> wading in to sort out Xtra.

    > Well I guess you are right. I actually have only good things to say
    > about my 11 years with Xtra, and have felt that because it's big (the
    > biggest?) it wouldn't actually be allowed to perform disastrously
    > badly. Moderately badly, sure, but not disastrously. However, I
    > suppose that is naive.

    There is little regulation in this country and I don't think that there
    is **any** that has to do with badly performing ISPs. (Consumer
    Guarantees Act?) It would need someone to take them to court to get
    things changed, I'd say, but most Xtra users probably wouldn't do so.

    I'm with Actrix and have been since before there even was an Xtra (11
    years, my little gods!!). Actrix claim to be the first ISP in the
    country and I've never felt the urge to change. I did also have an
    account with, I think it was TelstraClear, for work purposes in the
    early days of ADSL. Actrix's Help Desk is one of the better ones, I believe.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    Linux is theft.
    Enkidu, Jan 24, 2009
  18. Je| Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Je|<ݬ¬ & µÝÐe wrote:
    >> "Enkidu" <> wrote in message

    >>> Did it ever occur to you that the reason you see so many requests for
    >>> help with Xtra is because Xtra is rubbish? And the help that they
    >>> provide is rubbish? You don't see nearly as many people asking for
    >>> help for other ISPs.

    >> Anyone with an ounce of fairness would actually correctly conclude
    >> that since they're the biggest ISP, more users asking for help will
    >> be with them. Furthermore whether or not you run Xp, Vista, or Linux
    >> won't matter a damn if your mail server has issues.

    > The only reason Xtra is the biggest ISP in NZ is conveniece and inertia.
    > Most people whom I've helped get on line seem to think that paying an
    > extra bill each month (rather than having it added to their Telecom bill)
    > is akin to having a tooth pulled!
    >
    > Some of them do go with a different ISP because I make it clear that my
    > 'support' stops the moment they decide to go with Xtra. They seem to think
    > Xtra will look after them. Well, I certainly don't if they choose to go
    > that way.
    >
    > Therefore I too sometimes answer queries about problems with Xtra here
    > with "Change your ISP". It's what I say in person, I don't see why I
    > should say different on usenet.
    > --
    > Shaun.
    >
    > "Build a man a fire, and he`ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and
    > he`ll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett, Jingo

    Well yeah that's fair enough. But to say more Xtra users appear to be asking
    for help because they're just crap, not just huge, is to make an unproven
    and most likely incorrect assumption.

    J&H.
  19. Mutley Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote:

    >Somewhere on teh intarwebs Je|<ݬ¬ & µÝÐe wrote:
    >> "Enkidu" <> wrote in message

    >>> Did it ever occur to you that the reason you see so many requests for
    >>> help with Xtra is because Xtra is rubbish? And the help that they
    >>> provide is rubbish? You don't see nearly as many people asking for
    >>> help for other ISPs.

    >> Anyone with an ounce of fairness would actually correctly conclude
    >> that since they're the biggest ISP, more users asking for help will
    >> be with them. Furthermore whether or not you run Xp, Vista, or Linux
    >> won't matter a damn if your mail server has issues.

    >The only reason Xtra is the biggest ISP in NZ is conveniece and inertia.
    >Most people whom I've helped get on line seem to think that paying an extra
    >bill each month (rather than having it added to their Telecom bill) is akin
    >to having a tooth pulled!
    >
    >Some of them do go with a different ISP because I make it clear that my
    >'support' stops the moment they decide to go with Xtra. They seem to think
    >Xtra will look after them. Well, I certainly don't if they choose to go that
    >way.
    >
    >Therefore I too sometimes answer queries about problems with Xtra here with
    >"Change your ISP". It's what I say in person, I don't see why I should say
    >different on usenet.

    I've found the excuse from people who moan about Xtra but say the one
    bill is the reason they don't want to switch..
    Mutley, Jan 25, 2009
  20. In article <>,
    VEcom says...

    > I've found the excuse from people who moan about Xtra but say the one
    > bill is the reason they don't want to switch..

    Yes, I used to hear that one a lot. What bloody nonsense: my isp (NOT
    xtra) just draws the money out of my visa each month, I don't even have
    to look at the bill (via email) if I don't want to. As if that was a
    bother or inconvenience..... some "dealbreaker".

    -P.
    Peter Huebner, Jan 25, 2009