    would prefer an intrim solution with some free relaible service. (Not
    Yahoo or Hotmail thou)

    Any suggestions.

    Collector, Aug 16, 2004

  2. Collector wrote:
    > Webmail is not an option, he requires pop so that he can refer to emails
    > offline.

    port forwarding from an existing Xtra connection?
    It would mean that you would need an existing Xtra connection to do it
    from, but it could work.

    What I mean is something like a pop-proxy that just passes on his
    username etc.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 16, 2004

  3. In article <> in nz.comp on Mon, 16 Aug 2004
    12:22:25 +1200, Collector <> says...
    > Have a person with Xtra who is going stateside for a couple of weeks. He
    > hates IPASS it is crap and I agree, trouble is while connectivity is
    > easy to get (he has wifi and is staying in Wifi equiped hotels) we
    > cannot pop mail off xtra as the connection is outside there network.
    >
    > Webmail is not an option, he requires pop so that he can refer to emails
    > offline.

    Get another account somewhere and have your Xtra emails forwarded to it -
    you can set up forwarding in Xtra webmail.

    Patrick Dunford, Aug 16, 2004
  4. Collector

    Brendan Guest

    On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 12:22:25 +1200, Collector wrote:

    > Have a person with Xtra who is going stateside for a couple of weeks. He
    > hates IPASS it is crap and I agree, trouble is while connectivity is
    > easy to get (he has wifi and is staying in Wifi equiped hotels) we
    > cannot pop mail off xtra as the connection is outside there network.
    >
    > Webmail is not an option, he requires pop so that he can refer to emails
    > offline.
    >
    > Now the thing is how to get him POP, well I am considering fowarding to
    > another service provider (I will be moving them from Xtra as soon as
    > Possible, but not before the trip)that has pop from other networks, but
    > would prefer an intrim solution with some free relaible service. (Not
    > Yahoo or Hotmail thou)
    >
    > Any suggestions.

    Get a free email account with Orcon, which is pop accessible. Tell xtra to
    forward email to that account.

    --

    .... Brendan

    I used to get high on life, but I've built up a tolerance.

    Note: All my comments are copyright 16/08/2004 2:43:38 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Aug 16, 2004
  5. Collector

    Chris Guest

    Collector <> wrote in news:2oad25F8lp56U1@uni-
    berlin.de:

    > Have a person with Xtra who is going stateside for a couple of weeks.

    He
    > hates IPASS it is crap and I agree, trouble is while connectivity is
    > easy to get (he has wifi and is staying in Wifi equiped hotels) we
    > cannot pop mail off xtra as the connection is outside there network.
    >
    > Webmail is not an option, he requires pop so that he can refer to

    emails
    > offline.
    >
    > Now the thing is how to get him POP, well I am considering fowarding to
    > another service provider (I will be moving them from Xtra as soon as
    > Possible, but not before the trip)that has pop from other networks, but
    > would prefer an intrim solution with some free relaible service. (Not
    > Yahoo or Hotmail thou)
    >
    > Any suggestions.

    As much as I dislike Orcon at the moment their free emails do come in
    handy - set one up for a friend that has a vodafone PDA

    Chris, Aug 16, 2004
  6. Collector

    steve Guest

    Collector wrote:

    > Have a person with Xtra who is going stateside for a couple of weeks. He
    > hates IPASS it is crap and I agree, trouble is while connectivity is
    > easy to get (he has wifi and is staying in Wifi equiped hotels) we
    > cannot pop mail off xtra as the connection is outside there network.
    >
    > Webmail is not an option, he requires pop so that he can refer to emails
    > offline.
    >
    > Now the thing is how to get him POP, well I am considering fowarding to
    > another service provider (I will be moving them from Xtra as soon as
    > Possible, but not before the trip)that has pop from other networks, but
    > would prefer an intrim solution with some free relaible service. (Not
    > Yahoo or Hotmail thou)
    >
    > Any suggestions.

    AT&T.

    Or Ihug (who use AT&T POPS overseas)

    Or Actrix (who use AT&T POPS overseas).

    steve, Aug 16, 2004
  7. Collector

    The Hobbit Guest

    "Collector" <> wrote in message
    > Have a person with Xtra who is going stateside for a couple of weeks. He
    > hates IPASS it is crap and I agree, trouble is while connectivity is easy
    > to get (he has wifi and is staying in Wifi equiped hotels) we cannot pop
    > mail off xtra as the connection is outside there network.

    <Snip>
    What's crap about iPass? The newer clients (as long as you update your phone
    books) work fine for me overseas... I only use it to establish a connection
    for email and use default whatever else is avalible for generic surfing
    between pops.

    The Hobbit, Aug 16, 2004
  8. Collector

    Ian Boag Guest

    Let's not forget gotomypc. Set up your desktop machine in NZ, then you
    can connect to it from anywhere you can find a browser .... do the
    email thing by running OE at the end of a 10,000 wire to the keyboard
    and screen. I've had a few chuckles when foreigners (in Argentina and
    Croatia to name a couple of places) have boggled at seeing my
    Palmerston North desktop on the screen of a NetCaf PC .......

    IB

    Ian Boag, Aug 16, 2004
  9. Collector

    Collector Guest

    The Hobbit said the following on 17/08/2004 07:28:

    > "Collector" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Have a person with Xtra who is going stateside for a couple of weeks. He
    >>hates IPASS it is crap and I agree, trouble is while connectivity is easy
    >>to get (he has wifi and is staying in Wifi equiped hotels) we cannot pop
    >>mail off xtra as the connection is outside there network.

    > <Snip>
    > What's crap about iPass? The newer clients (as long as you update your phone
    > books) work fine for me overseas... I only use it to establish a connection
    > for email and use default whatever else is avalible for generic surfing
    > between pops.

    Slow poor connections through digital paxs charged at several dollars a
    minute to your hotel for a lawyer getting emails with documents attached
    is what is crap, not to mention half the numers in its phone book dont
    seem to connect.

    Collector, Aug 17, 2004
  10. Collector

    Collector Guest

    Ian Boag said the following on 17/08/2004 09:06:

    > Let's not forget gotomypc. Set up your desktop machine in NZ, then you
    > can connect to it from anywhere you can find a browser .... do the
    > email thing by running OE at the end of a 10,000 wire to the keyboard
    > and screen. I've had a few chuckles when foreigners (in Argentina and
    > Croatia to name a couple of places) have boggled at seeing my
    > Palmerston North desktop on the screen of a NetCaf PC .......
    >
    > IB
    >

    > "The Hobbit" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Collector" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Have a person with Xtra who is going stateside for a couple of weeks. He
    >>>hates IPASS it is crap and I agree, trouble is while connectivity is easy
    >>>to get (he has wifi and is staying in Wifi equiped hotels) we cannot pop
    >>>mail off xtra as the connection is outside there network.

    >><Snip>
    >>What's crap about iPass? The newer clients (as long as you update your phone
    >>books) work fine for me overseas... I only use it to establish a connection
    >>for email and use default whatever else is avalible for generic surfing
    >>between pops.

    Too cumbersome for a ludite lawyer

    Collector, Aug 17, 2004