Bloody Lightning

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Frank Williams, Jul 9, 2011.

  1. Here in Kapiti it took out my Masthead Amp, now no TV .!@#$%^

    And that was just the Electro Magnet Field generate by the Lightning.

    Frank Williams, Jul 9, 2011

  2. Frank Williams

    Mikethekiwi Guest

    "Frank Williams" <> wrote in message news:...

    > Here in Kapiti it took out my Masthead Amp, now no TV .!@#$%^
    >
    > And that was just the Electro Magnet Field generate by the Lightning.

    I recall a similar thing happened to me, or rather my Grandparents, when I was visiting them in Castricum Netherlands when I was a 9
    year old nearly 40 years ago.

    We were happily watching some Dutch program or other on the Televison while a storm raged outside.
    There was a flash and an almighty CRASH at the same moment, so it obviously struck very close by, and the TV just went black.

    Mikethekiwi, Jul 10, 2011

  3. Frank Williams

    Gordon Guest

    On 2011-07-09, Frank Williams <> wrote:

    > Here in Kapiti it took out my Masthead Amp, now no TV .!@#$%^

    And all over this ng if you do not get it back on line quickly.

    > And that was just the Electro Magnet Field generate by the Lightning.

    Ah, Mother Nature has gotten tired of shaking Christchurch, gone to find
    someone else to annoy.

    Gordon, Jul 10, 2011
  4. On Jul 10, 3:59 pm, "Mikethekiwi" <> wrote:
    > "Frank Williams" <> wrote in > > Here in Kapiti it took out my Masthead Amp, now no TV .!@#$%^
    >
    > We were happily watching some Dutch program or other on the Televison while a storm raged outside.
    > There was a flash and an almighty CRASH at the same moment, so it obviously struck very close by, and the TV just went black.

    My childhood instance was our telephone - the traditional wooden box
    on the wall with the crank-handle on the side. A bolt of lightning
    blew it right off the wall.

    I salvaged it for some useful parts, some of which I put to shameful
    use. . . .

    LW

    Lyndon Watson, Jul 11, 2011
  5. Frank Williams

    Richard Guest

    On 7/10/2011 12:15 AM, Frank Williams wrote:

    > Here in Kapiti it took out my Masthead Amp, now no TV .!@#$%^
    >
    > And that was just the Electro Magnet Field generate by the Lightning.

    Router made it thru ok.... sigh.

    Richard, Jul 11, 2011
  6. Frank Williams

    Tilly Guest

    Re: Bloody LightningNetherlands

    "Mikethekiwi" <> wrote in message

    > "Frank Williams" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> Here in Kapiti it took out my Masthead Amp, now no TV .!@#$%^
    >>
    >> And that was just the Electro Magnet Field generate by the Lightning.
    >>

    > I recall a similar thing happened to me, or rather my Grandparents, when I
    > was visiting them in Castricum Netherlands when I was a 9 year old nearly
    > 40 years ago.
    >
    > We were happily watching some Dutch program or other on the Televison
    > while a storm raged outside.
    > There was a flash and an almighty CRASH at the same moment, so it
    > obviously struck very close by, and the TV just went black.

    That's unusual,most houses in the Netherland have lightning conductors.

    Tilly, Jul 11, 2011
  7. Frank Williams

    John Little Guest

    Not very nz.comp, sorry...

    An English neighbour (in Auckland) while renovating found some weird,
    Flash Gordon looking, things in a cupboard and baffled, asked me what
    they were. From somewhere in the depths of my neurons came the
    response "lightning arrestors on the phone line", but I've no idea
    where that came from. They did indeed look like a pair of big fuses,
    sort of.

    Was there any such thing, or was I completely imagining things?

    Regards, John

    John Little, Jul 12, 2011
  8. Frank Williams

    Miche Guest

    In article
    <>,
    John Little <> wrote:

    > Not very nz.comp, sorry...
    >
    > An English neighbour (in Auckland) while renovating found some weird,
    > Flash Gordon looking, things in a cupboard and baffled, asked me what
    > they were. From somewhere in the depths of my neurons came the
    > response "lightning arrestors on the phone line", but I've no idea
    > where that came from. They did indeed look like a pair of big fuses,
    > sort of.
    >
    > Was there any such thing, or was I completely imagining things?

    You're not imagining them. I've tested lightning arrestors that sit on
    high voltage lines.

    the looked a lot like the grey part in this picture:
    http://www.supplierlist.com/photo_images/25934/Surge_arrester_YH5W-24_YH1
    0W-24_.jpg

    I'm sure similar things would exist for phone lines.

    Miche

    --
    Electricians do it in three phases

    Miche, Jul 12, 2011
  9. Frank Williams

    Msgr Scooter Guest

    On , , Mon, 11 Jul 2011 22:40:17 -0700 (PDT), Re: Bloody Lightning, John Little
    <> wrote:

    >Not very nz.comp, sorry...
    >
    >An English neighbour (in Auckland) while renovating found some weird,
    >Flash Gordon looking, things in a cupboard and baffled, asked me what
    >they were. From somewhere in the depths of my neurons came the
    >response "lightning arrestors on the phone line", but I've no idea
    >where that came from. They did indeed look like a pair of big fuses,
    >sort of.
    >
    >Was there any such thing, or was I completely imagining things?

    My grandmother had some on her phone. They were really high up on the wall.
    She was on a manual exchange at the time.

    to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."
    Anatole France.

    Msgr Scooter, Jul 12, 2011
  10. Frank Williams

    Msgr Scooter Guest

    On , , Tue, 12 Jul 2011 17:52:05 +1200, Re: Bloody Lightning, Miche
    <> wrote:

    >In article
    ><>,
    > John Little <> wrote:
    >
    >> Not very nz.comp, sorry...
    >>
    >> An English neighbour (in Auckland) while renovating found some weird,
    >> Flash Gordon looking, things in a cupboard and baffled, asked me what
    >> they were. From somewhere in the depths of my neurons came the
    >> response "lightning arrestors on the phone line", but I've no idea
    >> where that came from. They did indeed look like a pair of big fuses,
    >> sort of.
    >>
    >> Was there any such thing, or was I completely imagining things?

    >You're not imagining them. I've tested lightning arrestors that sit on
    >high voltage lines.
    >
    >the looked a lot like the grey part in this picture:
    >http://www.supplierlist.com/photo_images/25934/Surge_arrester_YH5W-24_YH1
    >0W-24_.jpg

    Those look more like flash over prevention devices.
    I have a 32 cm by 15 cm in circumference pyrex insulator with ridges that has
    some massive metal splatters on it.

    >I'm sure similar things would exist for phone lines.

    The phone ones looked like long white porcelain candlesticks fitted into a black
    bakelite base.
    My father had a few that had been blown off the fitting or had holes in the
    porcelain he had collected from friends.

    Msgr Scooter, Jul 12, 2011
  11. Frank Williams

    RayC Guest

    RayC, Jul 18, 2011