Bloody internal modems

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Al, Feb 15, 2004.

  1. Al

    Al Guest

    Hi Folks,

    I am trying to help a friend install a Dynalink V1433VQH-R(Acf) on a old
    Pentium 166.

    The modem was previously working but he fiddeled with it :-(

    The system is Win98SE.

    Anyway The computer has a physical Com2 and a PS2 mouse.

    The modem was jumpered to Com2 so I changed this to Com3 which is what the
    manual
    reccomends it be set to.

    When I did this and redetected new hardware it found no modem but a Com3
    port which I
    installed.

    Then I tried a manual install of the modem with the supplied driver. Seemed
    to install ok, but
    when I did a diagnostic test it failed!!

    Com2 and the new Com3 are using the correct respective IRQ's.

    Its been a while since I installed a internal modem but should it create its
    own Com port (in this
    case Com3?)

    What else can I try?

    Cheers

    -Al

    Al, Feb 15, 2004

  2. Al

    Al Guest

    PS: Anyone know how to disable Com ports on a old PC Direct P166? Could not
    find
    it in Bios. Wondering if it might be jumpered? Hard to remember back that
    far!!

    -Al

    Al, Feb 15, 2004

  3. Al

    Roger_Nickel Guest

    Al wrote:
    > PS: Anyone know how to disable Com ports on a old PC Direct P166? Could not
    > find
    > it in Bios. Wondering if it might be jumpered? Hard to remember back that
    > far!!
    >
    > -Al
    >
    > "Al" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi Folks,
    >>
    >>I am trying to help a friend install a Dynalink V1433VQH-R(Acf) on a old
    >>Pentium 166.
    >>
    >>The modem was previously working but he fiddeled with it :-(
    >>
    >>The system is Win98SE.
    >>
    >>Anyway The computer has a physical Com2 and a PS2 mouse.
    >>
    >>The modem was jumpered to Com2 so I changed this to Com3 which is what the
    >>manual
    >>reccomends it be set to.
    >>
    >>When I did this and redetected new hardware it found no modem but a Com3
    >>port which I
    >>installed.
    >>
    >>Then I tried a manual install of the modem with the supplied driver.

    > Seemed
    >
    >>to install ok, but
    >>when I did a diagnostic test it failed!!
    >>
    >>Com2 and the new Com3 are using the correct respective IRQ's.
    >>
    >>Its been a while since I installed a internal modem but should it create

    > its
    >
    >>own Com port (in this
    >>case Com3?)
    >>
    >>What else can I try?
    >>
    >>Cheers
    >>
    >>-Al

    Not sure, but it is an ISA PnP modem and ISA PnP was always dodgy. You
    will likely need to manually assign IRQ and I/O in device manager. COM1
    and COM2 share interupts with COM3 and COM4 respectively so avoid COM3
    and COM4 if you can. A modem on COM3 can stop working if you have a
    mouse on COM1. Device manager will tell you if there are conflicts.

    Roger_Nickel, Feb 15, 2004
  4. Al

    Gavin Tunney Guest

    On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 10:52:11 +1300, "Al" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi Folks,
    >
    >I am trying to help a friend install a Dynalink V1433VQH-R(Acf) on a old
    >Pentium 166.
    >
    >The modem was previously working but he fiddeled with it :-(
    >
    >The system is Win98SE.
    >
    >Anyway The computer has a physical Com2 and a PS2 mouse.
    >
    >The modem was jumpered to Com2 so I changed this to Com3 which is what the
    >manual
    >reccomends it be set to.
    >
    >When I did this and redetected new hardware it found no modem but a Com3
    >port which I
    >installed.
    >
    >Then I tried a manual install of the modem with the supplied driver. Seemed
    >to install ok, but
    >when I did a diagnostic test it failed!!
    >
    >Com2 and the new Com3 are using the correct respective IRQ's.
    >
    >Its been a while since I installed a internal modem but should it create its
    >own Com port (in this
    >case Com3?)
    >
    >What else can I try?

    First make sure the IRQ it's set to isn't conflicting with another
    IRQ. You can use the same IRQ as Com1, so long as Com1 isn't being
    used. You look to have set it up right, it's a hardware modem so the
    hardware wizard will find it as a Com port.

    Next test the modem to make sure it's actually working. If it was set
    to Com2 that suggests the usual Com2 has been disabled so check
    device manager or the BIOS post screen for Com ports & see how many
    are listed. Then boot to a Dos prompt & dial your mobile by typing;

    echo atdt02712345 > com3

    If it shows only two com ports then under Dos it will be Com2 rather
    than Com3, Dos treats Com ports sequentially. It should dial yr
    mobile, echo ath > com3 hangs up & echo atz > com3 resets the modem.

    If it doesn't dial out then you've a hardware fault of some
    kind....wrong jumpers, conflicting irq, faulty modem, bad cable etc.
    If it does dial out then it works ok & you've probably got the wrong
    drivers...try installing the standard 33.6k modem driver & see if it
    works then. Can use the same at commands in hyperterminal to dial out
    & it will do it using the windows drivers then.

    GT

    Gavin Tunney, Feb 15, 2004
  5. Al

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Al" <> wrote in

    > Anyway The computer has a physical Com2 and a PS2 mouse.
    >
    > The modem was jumpered to Com2 so I changed this to Com3 which is what
    > the manual
    > reccomends it be set to.

    This means that Com2 was probably disabled in BIOS and has been re-enabled.
    Disable it again. Disable PNP OS in BIOS. Set modem to Com2. Boot windows
    to safe mode. Remove all Com2 and Com3 ports, and modems from device
    manager from within safe mode. Reboot and feed drivers, usually from C:
    \windows\inf is sufficient as it was working before.
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Feb 16, 2004
  6. Al

    Enkidu Guest

    On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 02:59:21 +0000 (UTC), Dave Taylor
    <> wrote:

    >"Al" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Anyway The computer has a physical Com2 and a PS2 mouse.
    >>
    >> The modem was jumpered to Com2 so I changed this to Com3 which is what
    >> the manual
    >> reccomends it be set to.
    >>

    >This means that Com2 was probably disabled in BIOS and has been re-enabled.
    >Disable it again. Disable PNP OS in BIOS. Set modem to Com2. Boot windows
    >to safe mode. Remove all Com2 and Com3 ports, and modems from device
    >manager from within safe mode. Reboot and feed drivers, usually from C:
    >\windows\inf is sufficient as it was working before.
    >Ciao, Dave

    Yep, I'll vote for that. Internal modems sort of provide their own com
    port.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Feb 16, 2004
  7. Al

    Stewy Guest

    Al wrote:

    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > I am trying to help a friend install a Dynalink V1433VQH-R(Acf) on a old
    > Pentium 166.
    >
    > The modem was previously working but he fiddeled with it :-(
    >
    > The system is Win98SE.
    >
    > Anyway The computer has a physical Com2 and a PS2 mouse.
    >
    > The modem was jumpered to Com2 so I changed this to Com3 which is what the
    > manual
    > reccomends it be set to.
    >
    > When I did this and redetected new hardware it found no modem but a Com3
    > port which I
    > installed.
    >
    > Then I tried a manual install of the modem with the supplied driver.
    > Seemed to install ok, but
    > when I did a diagnostic test it failed!!
    >
    > Com2 and the new Com3 are using the correct respective IRQ's.
    >
    > Its been a while since I installed a internal modem but should it create
    > its own Com port (in this
    > case Com3?)
    >
    > What else can I try?
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > -Al

    Yeah, I had one of those once, I think. It sets up it's own port.

    If I remember right, mine had a floppy for setting up the modem port and
    another floppy for the drivers.

    I ditched it for a normal modem after a while. I've got an external now and
    would never look back.

    Stewy, Feb 16, 2004
  8. Al

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <402ffd34$>,
    says...
    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > I am trying to help a friend install a Dynalink V1433VQH-R(Acf) on a old
    > Pentium 166.
    >
    > The modem was previously working but he fiddeled with it :-(
    >
    > The system is Win98SE.
    >
    > Anyway The computer has a physical Com2 and a PS2 mouse.
    >
    > The modem was jumpered to Com2 so I changed this to Com3 which is what the
    > manual
    > reccomends it be set to.
    >
    > When I did this and redetected new hardware it found no modem but a Com3
    > port which I
    > installed.
    >
    > Then I tried a manual install of the modem with the supplied driver. Seemed
    > to install ok, but
    > when I did a diagnostic test it failed!!
    >
    > Com2 and the new Com3 are using the correct respective IRQ's.
    >
    > Its been a while since I installed a internal modem but should it create its
    > own Com port (in this
    > case Com3?)

    If the modem is plug and play, make sure you have at least one free COM
    port that it can install itself as. Then have Windows run the hardware
    wizard and it should detect it as a com port. Once it has set up the com
    port then add the modem, it probably won't detect an older one, but put
    it onto the new com port.

    If it's not plug and play then you need to add the com port in device
    manager, then install as above.

    It's not really a big deal, I have had a Dynalink 14400 bps modem running
    in one of my machines for some time, and I put in a GVC 28800 modem the
    other day, this is PnP so just follows a slightly different procedure.

    If non PNP provided you have the jumpers to the right com port AND there
    isn't a COM port in the motherboard already that has the same settings
    (disable it if there is obviously) it should be OK.

    Mainlander, Feb 16, 2004
  9. Al

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <403002bb$>,
    says...
    > PS: Anyone know how to disable Com ports on a old PC Direct P166? Could not
    > find
    > it in Bios. Wondering if it might be jumpered? Hard to remember back that
    > far!!

    Any machine of this age should have the ports onboard and they will be in
    the Bios, there are several screens so just go through them.

    Mainlander, Feb 16, 2004
  10. Al

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 02:59:21 +0000 (UTC), Dave Taylor
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >"Al" <> wrote in
    > >
    > >> Anyway The computer has a physical Com2 and a PS2 mouse.
    > >>
    > >> The modem was jumpered to Com2 so I changed this to Com3 which is what
    > >> the manual
    > >> reccomends it be set to.
    > >>

    > >This means that Com2 was probably disabled in BIOS and has been re-enabled.
    > >Disable it again. Disable PNP OS in BIOS. Set modem to Com2. Boot windows
    > >to safe mode. Remove all Com2 and Com3 ports, and modems from device
    > >manager from within safe mode. Reboot and feed drivers, usually from C:
    > >\windows\inf is sufficient as it was working before.
    > >Ciao, Dave
    > >

    > Yep, I'll vote for that. Internal modems sort of provide their own com
    > port.

    An internal modem is a dedicated com port. It has on it the UART that is
    used for separate com ports, usually a 16550. The installation process
    requires that com port to be installed, then you tell your PC that the
    modem is on that com port. With plug and play the only difference is that
    the Bios will detect the modem and configure its com port automatically,
    and then Windows will install it automatically, but Windows may only
    detect and install the com port.

    Mainlander, Feb 16, 2004