    dial up connection. Does anyone else have problems loading the shopping
    pages? I am unsure if it is due to my computer, or is a problem with the
    website.

    Rob, Nov 8, 2005

  2. Rob

    EMB Guest

    Rob wrote:
    > My girlfriend was looking at the following website, www.merinokids.co.nz ,
    > but when she went to the products pages, something really strange happens
    > with the images. All the product images load over the top of the shopping
    > part of the page. (eg. in the centre of the page below the menu image)., so
    > they hide the different options and buy buttons.
    > I unsure if it is to do with my version of flash, although I think I have
    > got the newest version, also not sure if it has something to do with my slow
    > dial up connection. Does anyone else have problems loading the shopping
    > pages? I am unsure if it is due to my computer, or is a problem with the
    > website.

    I am assuming you mean http://www.merinokids.com. The site works fine
    for me with Firefox 1.5RC1/Flash Player 8 and also with IE6/Flash Player 7.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Nov 8, 2005

  3. Rob wrote:
    > My girlfriend was looking at the following website, www.merinokids.co.nz ,
    > but when she went to the products pages, something really strange happens
    > with the images. All the product images load over the top of the shopping
    > part of the page. (eg. in the centre of the page below the menu image)., so
    > they hide the different options and buy buttons.
    > I unsure if it is to do with my version of flash, although I think I have
    > got the newest version, also not sure if it has something to do with my slow
    > dial up connection. Does anyone else have problems loading the shopping
    > pages? I am unsure if it is due to my computer, or is a problem with the
    > website.

    Hint: register the domain before you spam the site.

    Mark Robinson, Nov 8, 2005
  4. Rob

    Peter Guest

    EMB wrote:

    > I am assuming you mean http://www.merinokids.com. The site works fine
    > for me with Firefox 1.5RC1/Flash Player 8 and also with IE6/Flash Player
    > 7.

    When will web designers get the message that not everyone is able to or
    prepared to use 'Flash' plug-in's? If they want their sites to reach a
    wide audience, they should provide a conventional alternative.

    Peter, Nov 8, 2005
  5. Rob

    Rob Guest

    ,
    > > but when she went to the products pages, something really strange

    happens
    > > with the images. All the product images load over the top of the

    shopping
    > > part of the page. (eg. in the centre of the page below the menu image).,

    so
    > > they hide the different options and buy buttons.
    > > I unsure if it is to do with my version of flash, although I think I

    have
    > > got the newest version, also not sure if it has something to do with my

    slow
    > > dial up connection. Does anyone else have problems loading the shopping
    > > pages? I am unsure if it is due to my computer, or is a problem with the
    > > website.
    > >

    > Hint: register the domain before you spam the site.

    Yes I meant www.merinokids.com, not the .co.nz version. Not sure what you
    mean by spam the site. Its not my site, and if it was, would I be
    complaining about it not working?

    Rob, Nov 8, 2005
  6. Rob

    Rob Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message
    > Rob wrote:
    > > My girlfriend was looking at the following website, www.merinokids.co.nz

    ,
    > > but when she went to the products pages, something really strange

    happens
    > > with the images. All the product images load over the top of the

    shopping
    > > part of the page. (eg. in the centre of the page below the menu image).,

    so
    > > they hide the different options and buy buttons.
    > > I unsure if it is to do with my version of flash, although I think I

    have
    > > got the newest version, also not sure if it has something to do with my

    slow
    > > dial up connection. Does anyone else have problems loading the shopping
    > > pages? I am unsure if it is due to my computer, or is a problem with the
    > > website.
    > >

    > I am assuming you mean http://www.merinokids.com. The site works fine
    > for me with Firefox 1.5RC1/Flash Player 8 and also with IE6/Flash Player

    7.

    > --
    > EMB

    Whoops, yeap wrong URL.

    I am using a pentium III, 1GHz computer, so it could be something to do
    with the speed of this computer. I am using IE with Flash 7. I didn't
    realise there was a newer version of flasm so I will download that to see if
    it makes a difference, but I believe it should run on a computer with these
    specs. Most of the flash on the site works on my computer, it is just the
    shopping/product part. I see that the site is made up lots of small flash
    areas on the screen.

    Rob, Nov 8, 2005
  7. Rob

    Not Dave Guest

    On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 15:47:12 +1300, Peter <>
    growled these words from under a rock:

    >EMB wrote:
    >
    >> I am assuming you mean http://www.merinokids.com. The site works fine
    >> for me with Firefox 1.5RC1/Flash Player 8 and also with IE6/Flash Player
    >> 7.
    >>

    >When will web designers get the message that not everyone is able to or
    >prepared to use 'Flash' plug-in's? If they want their sites to reach a
    >wide audience, they should provide a conventional alternative.

    I would have agreed with you 18 months ago.

    These days Flash has become a defacto standard.

    Not Dave, Nov 8, 2005
  8. Rob

    Not Dave Guest

    On Tue, 8 Nov 2005 15:03:12 +1300, "Rob" <>
    growled these words from under a rock:

    >My girlfriend was looking at the following website, www.merinokids.co.nz ,
    >but when she went to the products pages, something really strange happens
    >with the images. All the product images load over the top of the shopping
    >part of the page. (eg. in the centre of the page below the menu image)., so
    >they hide the different options and buy buttons.
    >I unsure if it is to do with my version of flash, although I think I have
    >got the newest version, also not sure if it has something to do with my slow
    >dial up connection. Does anyone else have problems loading the shopping
    >pages? I am unsure if it is due to my computer, or is a problem with the
    >website.

    Interesting.

    Here is works OK with Opera8 and Firefox, but IE6 with Flash 8,0,22,0
    does the same as you describe.

    Very interesting.

    Maybe email the site admin?

    Not Dave, Nov 8, 2005
  9. Rob

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Not Dave wrote:
    > On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 15:47:12 +1300, Peter <>
    > growled these words from under a rock:
    >
    >> EMB wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am assuming you mean http://www.merinokids.com. The site works
    >>> fine for me with Firefox 1.5RC1/Flash Player 8 and also with
    >>> IE6/Flash Player 7.
    >>>

    >> When will web designers get the message that not everyone is able to
    >> or prepared to use 'Flash' plug-in's? If they want their sites to
    >> reach a wide audience, they should provide a conventional
    >> alternative.

    > I would have agreed with you 18 months ago.
    >
    > These days Flash has become a defacto standard.

    Yeah, I dislike it but have no choice if I want to view half the web.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Nov 8, 2005
  10. Rob

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Rob wrote:
    > "Mark Robinson" <2tod.net> wrote in message
    >> Rob wrote:
    >>> My girlfriend was looking at the following website,
    >>> www.merinokids.co.nz , but when she went to the products pages,
    >>> something really strange happens with the images. All the product
    >>> images load over the top of the shopping part of the page. (eg. in
    >>> the centre of the page below the menu image)., so they hide the
    >>> different options and buy buttons.
    >>> I unsure if it is to do with my version of flash, although I think
    >>> I have got the newest version, also not sure if it has something to
    >>> do with my slow dial up connection. Does anyone else have problems
    >>> computer, or is a problem with the website.
    >>>

    >> Hint: register the domain before you spam the site.

    > Yes I meant www.merinokids.com, not the .co.nz version. Not sure what
    > you mean by spam the site. Its not my site, and if it was, would I be
    > complaining about it not working?

    LOL, haven't you heard the saying: "Any publicity is good publicity"?

    Getting eyes on a site, regardless of the initial reason for the visit, is
    what it's all about. Especially if there actually isn't a problem with the
    site at all.

    The site's working fine here. Methinks the problem is your PC/software
    combo.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Nov 8, 2005
  11. Rob

    Rob Guest

    "Not Dave" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 8 Nov 2005 15:03:12 +1300, "Rob" <>
    > growled these words from under a rock:
    >
    > >My girlfriend was looking at the following website, www.merinokids.co.nz

    ,
    > >but when she went to the products pages, something really strange happens
    > >with the images. All the product images load over the top of the shopping
    > >part of the page. (eg. in the centre of the page below the menu image).,

    so
    > >they hide the different options and buy buttons.
    > >I unsure if it is to do with my version of flash, although I think I have
    > >got the newest version, also not sure if it has something to do with my

    slow
    > >dial up connection. Does anyone else have problems loading the shopping
    > >pages? I am unsure if it is due to my computer, or is a problem with the
    > >website.
    > >

    > Interesting.
    >
    > Here is works OK with Opera8 and Firefox, but IE6 with Flash 8,0,22,0
    > does the same as you describe.
    >
    > Very interesting.
    >
    > Maybe email the site admin?

    It did it for me in Opera and IE using the newly downloaded flash 8. However
    I refreshed the browser and it then appeared correct. It has something to do
    with the images not resizing to a smaller size, really weird, and I view
    flash sites all the time and never hcome across this issue.

    Rob, Nov 8, 2005
  12. In article <>,
    says...

    > I would have agreed with you 18 months ago.
    >
    > These days Flash has become a defacto standard.

    I wouldn't mind so much if it weren't for the flash banner ads. I am in
    no way prepared to have a migraine attack triggered by the damn things
    (fortunately JUST migraine, some people have photo-epilepsy) so I will
    NOT have flash operating on my day to day browser.
    If they have to have flash only and won't provide an alternative, fuckem
    I say. I just won't go there. Fortunately most sites with flash content
    are filterable, unless they have their site functionality hooked into it
    (i.e. menus).

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Nov 8, 2005
  13. Rob

    Not Dave Guest

    On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 01:11:51 +1200, Aaron Lawrence
    <> growled these words from under a rock:

    >At that very moment, Not Dave turned to nz.comp and said
    >> These days Flash has become a defacto standard.

    >Has it?
    >
    >Maybe, but the sites made with it are usually less usable than HTML.

    True. However, it is the Web. Usability is important, but these days,
    so is presentation.

    Don't get me wrong. I don't especially like Flash, however I'm also a
    realist.

    Not Dave, Nov 11, 2005
  14. At that very moment, Not Dave turned to nz.comp and said
    > These days Flash has become a defacto standard.

    Has it?

    Maybe, but the sites made with it are usually less usable than HTML.

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and

    Aaron Lawrence, Nov 11, 2005
  15. Rob

    shannon Guest

    Not Dave wrote:
    > On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 01:11:51 +1200, Aaron Lawrence
    > <> growled these words from under a rock:
    >

    >>At that very moment, Not Dave turned to nz.comp and said
    >>
    >>>These days Flash has become a defacto standard.

    >>Has it?
    >>
    >>Maybe, but the sites made with it are usually less usable than HTML.

    > True. However, it is the Web. Usability is important, but these days,
    > so is presentation.
    >
    > Don't get me wrong. I don't especially like Flash, however I'm also a
    > realist.

    The most popular part of flash pages is the skip intro button

    shannon, Nov 11, 2005
  16. Rob

    Not Dave Guest

    On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 09:52:11 +1300, shannon <> growled
    these words from under a rock:

    >Not Dave wrote:
    >> On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 01:11:51 +1200, Aaron Lawrence
    >> <> growled these words from under a rock:
    >>

    >>>At that very moment, Not Dave turned to nz.comp and said

    >>>Has it?
    >>>
    >>>Maybe, but the sites made with it are usually less usable than HTML.

    >> True. However, it is the Web. Usability is important, but these days,
    >> so is presentation.
    >>
    >> Don't get me wrong. I don't especially like Flash, however I'm also a
    >> realist.

    >The most popular part of flash pages is the skip intro button

    Heh...

    There is absolutely nothing more annoying than those "watch this
    crappy flash animation before you can see our site" intros.

    Not Dave, Nov 11, 2005
  17. Rob

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Not Dave wrote:
    > On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 09:52:11 +1300, shannon <> growled
    > these words from under a rock:
    >

    >>Not Dave wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 01:11:51 +1200, Aaron Lawrence
    >>><> growled these words from under a rock:

    >>>True. However, it is the Web. Usability is important, but these days,
    >>>so is presentation.
    >>>
    >>>Don't get me wrong. I don't especially like Flash, however I'm also a
    >>>realist.

    >>The most popular part of flash pages is the skip intro button

    > Heh...
    >
    > There is absolutely nothing more annoying than those "watch this
    > crappy flash animation before you can see our site" intros.

    Yes there is, and there is one particular professional group that does
    it, too.

    Website that are *nothing but* Flash; architects use these a *lot*.

    Fortunately most architects don't design buildings like their websites,
    although some do. Not that I have anything against architects.

    Have a look at http://www.bachkit.com - this is a NZ product (and a
    product of our "knowledge economy" no less) that would fail miserably if
    they were solely dependent on their website for sales. It is truly
    appalling - difficult to navigate, difficult to view, an amazing mess.
    And I bet it wasn't cheap.

    In fact, they are in the process of improving the site so it will
    require Quicktime as well as Flash.

    -=rjh=-, Nov 12, 2005
  18. Rob

    Bruce Knox Guest

    On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 14:34:48 +1300, -=rjh=- <> wrote:

    >In fact, they are in the process of improving the site so it will
    >require Quicktime as well as Flash.

    Flash I dont mind (I use a bit) but I HATE QUICKTIME. It has always
    been a crappy program on windows machines.

    Bruce http://www.baggins.co.nz
    http://physio.otago.ac.nz

    Bruce Knox, Nov 12, 2005
  19. Rob

    Not Dave Guest

    On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 14:34:48 +1300, -=rjh=- <> growled
    these words from under a rock:

    >Have a look at http://www.bachkit.com - this is a NZ product (and a
    >product of our "knowledge economy" no less) that would fail miserably if
    >they were solely dependent on their website for sales. It is truly
    >appalling - difficult to navigate, difficult to view, an amazing mess.
    >And I bet it wasn't cheap.
    >
    >In fact, they are in the process of improving the site so it will
    >require Quicktime as well as Flash.

    Oh my god.

    Honestly, there's too much wrong with that site to list.

    That's just nasty.

    Not Dave, Nov 12, 2005
  20. Rob

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Not Dave wrote:
    > On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 14:34:48 +1300, -=rjh=- <> growled
    > these words from under a rock:
    >
    >> Have a look at http://www.bachkit.com - this is a NZ product (and a
    >> product of our "knowledge economy" no less) that would fail
    >> miserably if they were solely dependent on their website for sales.
    >> It is truly appalling - difficult to navigate, difficult to view, an
    >> amazing mess. And I bet it wasn't cheap.
    >>
    >> In fact, they are in the process of improving the site so it will
    >> require Quicktime as well as Flash.

    > Oh my god.
    >
    > Honestly, there's too much wrong with that site to list.
    >
    > That's just nasty.

    LOL, I just get a page with their name and a notice saying "This site needs
    Macromedia Flash 4 player which can be downloaded here"

    That's as far as I go with site's like that.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Nov 12, 2005