    regards

    --
    Don From Down Under

    Don, Apr 15, 2005

  2. Don

    stormwatcher Guest

    Can you test the 420EX on another 20D?

    stormwatcher, Apr 15, 2005

  3. Don

    Roy Guest

    "Don" <> wrote in message
    news:LsJ7e.11867$...
    > Folks, I have a 20D with a 420ex attached and seem to continuously get
    > underexposed shots with the flash when shooting inside and outside,
    > regardless of lighting conditions. I have tried P, Av & Tv modes but get
    > no joy in any mode. I have the custom functions settings set to
    > evaluative flash and have tried average mode as well, same problem. Have
    > noted that the flash confirm indicator lights up each time as if it is
    > reading ok. Still underexposed. Have changed ISO etc still to no avail.
    > Any ideas? Does anyone know of a way of checking the output of the unit
    > without having it sent in for service?
    >
    > regards
    >
    > --
    > Don From Down Under

    If you happen to know anyone who does a lot of Studio Photography, they are
    almost certain to have a Flash Meter, which will be able to test your Flash
    Output.

    Roy G

    Roy, Apr 15, 2005
  4. Don

    Guest

    Don wrote:
    > Folks, I have a 20D with a 420ex attached and seem to continuously

    get
    > underexposed shots with the flash [...]

    The 1c idea : if the underexposition is consistent, couldn't it be
    by-passed by simply setting the Flash Exposure Compensation (FEC) to
    the same amount of overexposition?

    Apart from this kind of trivia, perhaps could you test another strobe
    (another 420ex at best?) with your 20d, or test your strobe on another
    unit, to know which one is in cause?

    Greetings from France (another way to say "sorry for my english" ;o)!
    Nicolas

    , Apr 15, 2005
  5. Don

    Giulia Guest

    Don

    I have the same issue, and so have many others. Apparently it is a problem
    with ETTL- II TTL metering.

    Some people say that it under-exposes on purpose to avoid blowing out the
    whites and that you should just use FEC (Flash Exposure Compensation), but I
    have found that the photos are still poor even when over-exposing by 1 stop.

    My verdict, this is not acceptable on a camera of this price, and Canon need
    to release a firmware upgrade so you can take a flash photo, and it is
    correctly exposed.

    Giulia, Apr 15, 2005
  6. Don

    canongirly Guest

    "Don" <> wrote in message
    > Folks, I have a 20D with a 420ex attached and seem to continuously get
    > underexposed shots with the flash when shooting inside and outside,
    > regardless of lighting conditions. I have tried P, Av & Tv modes but get
    > no joy in any mode. I have the custom functions settings set to
    > evaluative flash and have tried average mode as well, same problem. Have
    > noted that the flash confirm indicator lights up each time as if it is
    > reading ok. Still underexposed. Have changed ISO etc still to no avail.
    > Any ideas? Does anyone know of a way of checking the output of the unit
    > without having it sent in for service?
    >
    > regards
    >
    > --
    > Don From Down Under

    It's why I use Vivitar 285's with my 300D's.

    For some reason Canon haven't successfully addressed the whole E-TTL deal
    with it's entire line of digital cameras, they all screw up it up. Mind you
    I'm old school so not using E-TTL isn't an issue. Flash on F8 camera on
    manual, F7.1, 1/125th sec underexposure never an issue.

    canongirly, Apr 15, 2005
  7. Don

    Skip M Guest

    "Don" <> wrote in message
    > Folks, I have a 20D with a 420ex attached and seem to continuously get
    > underexposed shots with the flash when shooting inside and outside,
    > regardless of lighting conditions. I have tried P, Av & Tv modes but get
    > no joy in any mode. I have the custom functions settings set to
    > evaluative flash and have tried average mode as well, same problem. Have
    > noted that the flash confirm indicator lights up each time as if it is
    > reading ok. Still underexposed. Have changed ISO etc still to no avail.
    > Any ideas? Does anyone know of a way of checking the output of the unit
    > without having it sent in for service?
    >
    > regards
    >
    > --
    > Don From Down Under

    As Giulia and canongirly said, this is part and parcel of ETT-L II and Canon
    flashes. I have a 420 and a 20D, and they perform admirably together when
    used for fill flash. Other than that, one to 1 and two thirds stops
    underexposed. But we use Quantum flashes, and don't have a problem. I've
    heard the same from others who use non Canon flashes, whether Sigma, Sunpak
    or Metz, that they don't have exposure problems. So, I guess my suggestion
    is to get an off brand flash. Or rent one to try and see if that solves
    your problem. Otherwise, as canongirly also said, manual is the only way to
    go...
    Two otherwise untouched images from 20Ds, one with a Canon 420EX, one with a
    Quantum T4D:
    http://www.shutterspeedway.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?user=SkipM&gallery=My 20D images/Flash problems

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip M, Apr 16, 2005
  8. Don

    Don Guest

    Folks

    thanks for all the above. I will try and borrow a flash meter and also try a
    non canon flash.

    regards

    Don from Down Under

    Don, Apr 16, 2005