Bloody clearnet newsserver problem again

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by updown, Nov 28, 2004.

  1. updown

    updown Guest

    Damn bloody same problem that I have had a few times before with the
    clearnet newsserver, it's a bastard of a problem because you don't even know
    there is a problem until day's go by with no replies to your posts and then
    it is difficult to confirm the problem as you need another newsserver to
    look at, I found a free one to confirm the problem but I am still stuck as I
    can still not post. Anyhow the problem is that posts do not show up on
    certain newsgroups but what makes it most annoying is it looks like they do,
    they show in my newsreader but in fact they have not made it onto the
    newsgroup at all, this has been a hell of a problem to get fixed with
    clearnet before because they do not act until they get a certain amount of
    complaints and in this case that could take a while as it only affects
    certain newsgroups and it may take people a while to realise what is
    happening.
    I use to have a free backup newsserver but it does not seem to be working
    anymore, does anyone know what happened to this http://news.cis.dfn.de/
    Does anyone know of a free newsserver I can post to as I really need to be
    able to get a reply to some queries before tonight, I find newsgroups a good
    tool and useful for things that cannot be easily done through google
    searches etc..., it's a pity the isp's don't rate it.
    updown, Nov 28, 2004

  2. updown

    updown Guest

    "updown" <flying@around> wrote in message news:41aa554e$...
    > Damn bloody same problem that I have had a few times before with the
    > clearnet newsserver, it's a bastard of a problem because you don't even

    know
    > there is a problem until day's go by with no replies to your posts and

    then
    > it is difficult to confirm the problem as you need another newsserver to
    > look at, I found a free one to confirm the problem but I am still stuck as

    > can still not post. Anyhow the problem is that posts do not show up on
    > certain newsgroups but what makes it most annoying is it looks like they

    do,
    > they show in my newsreader but in fact they have not made it onto the
    > newsgroup at all, this has been a hell of a problem to get fixed with
    > clearnet before because they do not act until they get a certain amount of
    > complaints and in this case that could take a while as it only affects
    > certain newsgroups and it may take people a while to realise what is
    > happening.
    > I use to have a free backup newsserver but it does not seem to be working
    > anymore, does anyone know what happened to this http://news.cis.dfn.de/
    > Does anyone know of a free newsserver I can post to as I really need to be
    > able to get a reply to some queries before tonight, I find newsgroups a

    good
    > tool and useful for things that cannot be easily done through google
    > searches etc..., it's a pity the isp's don't rate it.

    Some people might wonder why I bothered with this post and instead just
    reported it to clearnet, anyone who thinks this has obviously not tried
    reporting a fault to clearnet. I rang clearnet, got through to internet
    faults, explained the problem and was then told to email the helpdesk, it
    turns out that the fault reporting section of the customer phone service is
    not in fact for reporting faults with the service at all, once you explain
    the fault you are asked to email helpdesk, how bloody aggravating, why waste
    the customers time by having a fault reporting service that is only a way of
    referring you to the email helpdesk and good luck with using that, I have
    used the email helpdesk before and you hear nothing back about the problem
    and nothing is done about the problem for quite sometime so you don't know
    what the hell is going on, man I wish the internet had never gone
    mainstream, I remember the days when you rang paradise and you got someone
    that both had the knowledge and power to do something about your problem,
    now all you get is the run around. I know I should not expect much more from
    big companies that only got where they are by takeovers, I would change isp
    but I have done that several times over the last couple of years and have
    not had any long term satisfaction with anyone, I have basically given up
    finding a isp with good service these days.
    updown, Nov 29, 2004

  3. updown

> [...]

    > referring you to the email helpdesk and good luck with using that, I have
    > used the email helpdesk before and you hear nothing back about the problem
    > and nothing is done about the problem for quite sometime so you don't know
    > what the hell is going on, man I wish the internet had never gone
    > mainstream, I remember the days when you rang paradise and you got someone
    > that both had the knowledge and power to do something about your problem,
    > now all you get is the run around. I know I should not expect much more

    from
    > big companies that only got where they are by takeovers, I would change

    isp
    > but I have done that several times over the last couple of years and have
    > not had any long term satisfaction with anyone, I have basically given up
    > finding a isp with good service these days.

    This always bloody happens when I really need to use the newsgroups, I need
    to be able to post by later this afternoon, after that it is too late for
    what I need to find out, if I could actually report the fault and get a
    reply from someone with the knowledge and the power to do something about it
    I would not be so pissed off but when you can't get through to someone like
    this it is bloody frustrating.
    updown, Nov 29, 2004
  4. updown wrote:
    > This always bloody happens when I really need to use the newsgroups, I need
    > to be able to post by later this afternoon, after that it is too late for
    > what I need to find out

    Isn't it possible to post through google groups? http://groups.google.com

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Nov 29, 2004
  5. updown

    updown Guest

    "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message
    > updown wrote:
    > > This always bloody happens when I really need to use the newsgroups, I

    need
    > > to be able to post by later this afternoon, after that it is too late

    for
    > > what I need to find out

    > Isn't it possible to post through google groups? http://groups.google.com
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Nicholas Sherlock

    Thanks, but from what I can tell it would be way to slow, for instance only
    the first few posts from yesterday are showing up on nz.comp now, I need my
    posts to get through straight away as replies later than the next couple of
    hours will be too late.
    updown, Nov 29, 2004
  6. updown

    Sue Bilstein Guest

    On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 14:27:53 +1300, Nicholas Sherlock
    <> wrote:
    >updown wrote:
    >> This always bloody happens when I really need to use the newsgroups, I need
    >> to be able to post by later this afternoon, after that it is too late for
    >> what I need to find out

    >Isn't it possible to post through google groups? http://groups.google.com

    Yes, but not to read the answer, unless a 6 - 12 hour time lag is OK.

    I recommend www.supernews.com ($US4.95 per month). Others use a free
    server, sorry I can't remember its name, but you end up looking as if
    your posts come from Germany.

    But you can get supernews on a one-month trial basis real quick, sign
    up w/ CC and plug their server name into your newsreader.
    Sue Bilstein, Nov 29, 2004
  7. updown

    updown Guest

    "Sue Bilstein" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 14:27:53 +1300, Nicholas Sherlock
    > <> wrote:
    > >updown wrote:
    > >> This always bloody happens when I really need to use the newsgroups, I

    need
    > >> to be able to post by later this afternoon, after that it is too late

    for
    > >> what I need to find out

    > >Isn't it possible to post through google groups? http://groups.google.com

    > Yes, but not to read the answer, unless a 6 - 12 hour time lag is OK.
    >
    > I recommend www.supernews.com ($US4.95 per month). Others use a free
    > server, sorry I can't remember its name, but you end up looking as if
    > your posts come from Germany.
    >
    > But you can get supernews on a one-month trial basis real quick, sign
    > up w/ CC and plug their server name into your newsreader.

    Thanks, I was using the german newsserver but it is no longer working for
    me, I am not sure if the free service is still going.
    I will consider the supernews but I am very reluctant to give my credit card
    details for a free trial period.
    updown, Nov 29, 2004
  8. updown

    Sue Bilstein Guest

    On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 15:05:04 +1300, "updown" <flying@around> wrote:
    >"Sue Bilstein" <> wrote in message

    >> I recommend www.supernews.com ($US4.95 per month). Others use a free
    >> server, sorry I can't remember its name, but you end up looking as if
    >> your posts come from Germany.
    >>
    >> But you can get supernews on a one-month trial basis real quick, sign
    >> up w/ CC and plug their server name into your newsreader.

    >Thanks, I was using the german newsserver but it is no longer working for
    >me, I am not sure if the free service is still going.
    >I will consider the supernews but I am very reluctant to give my credit card
    >details for a free trial period.

    I haven't had any problems with them. They seem to be a reputable
    business.

    Other people I have given my CC details to, without ill effects:

    TinyUrl
    Winzip
    Symantec
    Forte
    Amazon.
    Sue Bilstein, Nov 29, 2004
  9. updown

    > On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 15:05:04 +1300, "updown" <flying@around> wrote:
    > >"Sue Bilstein" <> wrote in message

    > >> I recommend www.supernews.com ($US4.95 per month). Others use a free
    > >> server, sorry I can't remember its name, but you end up looking as if
    > >> your posts come from Germany.
    > >>
    > >> But you can get supernews on a one-month trial basis real quick, sign
    > >> up w/ CC and plug their server name into your newsreader.

    > >Thanks, I was using the german newsserver but it is no longer working for
    > >me, I am not sure if the free service is still going.
    > >I will consider the supernews but I am very reluctant to give my credit

    card
    > >details for a free trial period.
    > >

    > I haven't had any problems with them. They seem to be a reputable
    > business.
    >
    > Other people I have given my CC details to, without ill effects:
    >
    > TinyUrl
    > Winzip
    > Symantec
    > Forte
    > Amazon.

    Thanks.
    updown, Nov 29, 2004
  10. updown

> [...]

    > referring you to the email helpdesk and good luck with using that, I have
    > used the email helpdesk before and you hear nothing back about the problem
    > and nothing is done about the problem for quite sometime so you don't know
    > what the hell is going on, man I wish the internet had never gone
    > mainstream, I remember the days when you rang paradise and you got someone
    > that both had the knowledge and power to do something about your problem,
    > now all you get is the run around. I know I should not expect much more

    from
    > big companies that only got where they are by takeovers, I would change

    isp
    > but I have done that several times over the last couple of years and have
    > not had any long term satisfaction with anyone, I have basically given up
    > finding a isp with good service these days.

    Well maybe someones watching, the problem has been fixed already which is
    great but the not been able to speak to someone about it is still very
    annoying.
    updown, Nov 29, 2004
  11. "updown" <flying@around> wrote in news:41aa554e$:

    > does anyone know what happened
    > to this http://news.cis.dfn.de/

    Renamed to news.individual.de.

    (AFAIK, your old login will still work, don't use it myself)
    Mark Cranness, Nov 29, 2004
  12. updown

    updown Guest

    "Mark Cranness" <> wrote in message
    > "updown" <flying@around> wrote in news:41aa554e$:
    >
    > > does anyone know what happened
    > > to this http://news.cis.dfn.de/

    > Renamed to news.individual.de.
    >
    > (AFAIK, your old login will still work, don't use it myself)

    Awesome, thanks a lot.
    updown, Nov 29, 2004
  13. updown

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    updown wrote:
    > "Mark Cranness" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>"updown" <flying@around> wrote in news:41aa554e$:
    >>

    >>>does anyone know what happened
    >>>to this http://news.cis.dfn.de/

    >>Renamed to news.individual.de.
    >>
    >>(AFAIK, your old login will still work, don't use it myself)

    > Awesome, thanks a lot.

    the url is http://news.individual.net/ and I point my news reader at
    news.individual.net

    Chris Mayhew, Nov 30, 2004