    Geopelia Guest

    What has gone wrong with blogger.com?
    They seem to have problems today.

    Geopelia, Oct 23, 2006

  2. In message <ehie0f$7o0$>, Geopelia wrote:

    > What has gone wrong with blogger.com?
    > They seem to have problems today.

    Does their tech support have a blog? :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 24, 2006

  3. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    > In message <ehie0f$7o0$>, Geopelia wrote:
    >
    >> What has gone wrong with blogger.com?
    >> They seem to have problems today.

    > Does their tech support have a blog? :)

    I'm not sure. They sent a lot of stuff about their problems, hope they are
    fixed today. I wrote a big piece being a wet Labour Day and lost the lot!
    Curses!

    Have just checked on Google.
    http://help.blogger.com has a lot of FAQs

    http://groups.google.com/group/blogger-help is for asking questions and
    discussion. You need to register. I've just found it but it looks good.

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Oct 24, 2006
  4. Geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <ehie0f$7o0$>, Geopelia wrote:
    >
    > > What has gone wrong with blogger.com?
    > > They seem to have problems today.

    > Does their tech support have a blog? :)

    aioe also seems to have a problem today, hope you see this on Google

    http://help.blogger.com has a lot of FAQs

    http://groups.google.com/group/blogger-help is for people to post
    questions and answers etc. You have to register. I've just joined.

    I haven't found anything for tech support itself.

    Geopelia

    geopelia, Oct 24, 2006
  5. In message <ehkpi0$m7l$>, Geopelia wrote:

    > I wrote a big piece being a wet Labour Day and lost the lot!

    Did you try hitting the Back button in your browser to see if you could get
    back the page showing your entered text?

    Though in general I would not trust browser-based apps with large amounts of
    text. I tend to copy and paste the text into a separate text-editor window,
    even if only temporarily, just in case.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 25, 2006
  6. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    > In message <ehkpi0$m7l$>, Geopelia wrote:
    >
    >> I wrote a big piece being a wet Labour Day and lost the lot!

    > Did you try hitting the Back button in your browser to see if you could
    > get
    > back the page showing your entered text?

    Yes, but just got the "page has expired" notice. It wouldn't have got lost,
    I think, if Blogger.com had been working properly. They were having
    problems.

    > Though in general I would not trust browser-based apps with large amounts
    > of
    > text. I tend to copy and paste the text into a separate text-editor
    > window,
    > even if only temporarily, just in case.

    I looked for a "save" button, like the one in "Word", but there doesn't seem
    to be one.

    I've just started a blog, so have a lot to learn. I can use copy and paste
    in a document or newsgroup message, but have problems moving stuff into
    different programs. Often the copy and paste in the menu is greyed out.

    Thank you for your help.

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Oct 25, 2006
  7. In message <ehnfch$l9l$>, Geopelia wrote:

    >> In message <ehkpi0$m7l$>, Geopelia wrote:
    >>
    >>> I wrote a big piece being a wet Labour Day and lost the lot!

    >> Did you try hitting the Back button in your browser to see if you could
    >> get
    >> back the page showing your entered text?

    > Yes, but just got the "page has expired" notice.

    That's an Internet Explorer thing. I don't think Firefox has the same
    limitation.

    >> Though in general I would not trust browser-based apps with large amounts
    >> of text. I tend to copy and paste the text into a separate text-editor
    >> window, even if only temporarily, just in case.

    > I looked for a "save" button, like the one in "Word", but there doesn't
    > seem to be one.

    No, you select the text, and copy and paste into a window open in a separate
    editor app.

    > I've just started a blog, so have a lot to learn. I can use copy and paste
    > in a document or newsgroup message, but have problems moving stuff into
    > different programs. Often the copy and paste in the menu is greyed out.

    May be worth trying Firefox to see if that works better for you as a
    browser.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 25, 2006
  8. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    > In message <ehnfch$l9l$>, Geopelia wrote:

    >>> Did you try hitting the Back button in your browser to see if you could
    >>> get
    >>> back the page showing your entered text?

    >> Yes, but just got the "page has expired" notice.

    > That's an Internet Explorer thing. I don't think Firefox has the same
    > limitation.
    >
    >>> Though in general I would not trust browser-based apps with large
    >>> amounts
    >>> of text. I tend to copy and paste the text into a separate text-editor
    >>> window, even if only temporarily, just in case.

    >> I looked for a "save" button, like the one in "Word", but there doesn't
    >> seem to be one.

    > No, you select the text, and copy and paste into a window open in a
    > separate
    > editor app.
    >
    >> I've just started a blog, so have a lot to learn. I can use copy and
    >> paste
    >> in a document or newsgroup message, but have problems moving stuff into
    >> different programs. Often the copy and paste in the menu is greyed out.

    > May be worth trying Firefox to see if that works better for you as a
    > browser.

    Thank you, I'll keep that in mind.
    I don't know enough to start changing things yet. I leave that to the
    computer man. He set it up with Outlook Express, and recently changed it to
    Windows XP.

    Geopelia, Oct 25, 2006
  9. In message <ehkpi0$m7l$>, Geopelia wrote:

    > I wrote a big piece being a wet Labour Day and lost the lot!

    Definitely worth looking at the just-released Firefox 2.0 then. According to
    this review <http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/10/25/1418217>:

    What's extra-spiffy about the session restore is that Firefox can even
    remember user input in some text fields, so if you're composing a blog
    entry and the browser crashes, or you just forget about that 600-word
    entry and restart Firefox after installing a new extension, Firefox may
    be able to restore your text as well as the browsing history.

    OK, this is actually referring to browser crashes/shutdowns rather than
    website crashes, but the extra insurance would still be useful.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 27, 2006
  10. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    > In message <ehkpi0$m7l$>, Geopelia wrote:
    >
    >> I wrote a big piece being a wet Labour Day and lost the lot!

    > Definitely worth looking at the just-released Firefox 2.0 then. According
    > this review <http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/10/25/1418217>:
    >
    > What's extra-spiffy about the session restore is that Firefox can even
    > remember user input in some text fields, so if you're composing a blog
    > entry and the browser crashes, or you just forget about that 600-word
    > entry and restart Firefox after installing a new extension, Firefox may
    > be able to restore your text as well as the browsing history.
    >
    > OK, this is actually referring to browser crashes/shutdowns rather than
    > website crashes, but the extra insurance would still be useful.

    Thank you. I'll save that information.

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Oct 27, 2006
  11. Geopelia

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 23:48:15 +1300, "Geopelia" <> wrote:

    >"Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in message
    >> In message <ehkpi0$m7l$>, Geopelia wrote:
    >>
    >>> I wrote a big piece being a wet Labour Day and lost the lot!

    >> Did you try hitting the Back button in your browser to see if you could
    >> get
    >> back the page showing your entered text?

    >Yes, but just got the "page has expired" notice. It wouldn't have got lost,
    >I think, if Blogger.com had been working properly. They were having
    >problems.
    >
    >> Though in general I would not trust browser-based apps with large amounts
    >> of
    >> text. I tend to copy and paste the text into a separate text-editor
    >> window,
    >> even if only temporarily, just in case.

    >I looked for a "save" button, like the one in "Word", but there doesn't seem
    >to be one.
    >
    >I've just started a blog, so have a lot to learn. I can use copy and paste
    >in a document or newsgroup message, but have problems moving stuff into
    >different programs. Often the copy and paste in the menu is greyed out.

    Sounds a bit weird. Have you placed the cursor into the box (by clicking in the
    box) you want to write / paste the text into first?

    Also, if you don't want to use those menu's at the top under the Edit menu as
    you are doing, and easier way is to highlight your text and press CTRL-C to copy
    it, and use CTRL-V to paste it.

    Craig Shore, Oct 28, 2006
  12. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Craig Shore" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 23:48:15 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in message

    >>> Did you try hitting the Back button in your browser to see if you could
    >>> get
    >>> back the page showing your entered text?

    >>Yes, but just got the "page has expired" notice. It wouldn't have got
    >>lost,
    >>I think, if Blogger.com had been working properly. They were having
    >>problems.
    >>
    >>> Though in general I would not trust browser-based apps with large
    >>> amounts
    >>> of
    >>> text. I tend to copy and paste the text into a separate text-editor
    >>> window,
    >>> even if only temporarily, just in case.

    >>I looked for a "save" button, like the one in "Word", but there doesn't
    >>seem
    >>to be one.
    >>
    >>I've just started a blog, so have a lot to learn. I can use copy and paste
    >>in a document or newsgroup message, but have problems moving stuff into
    >>different programs. Often the copy and paste in the menu is greyed out.

    > Sounds a bit weird. Have you placed the cursor into the box (by clicking
    > in the
    > box) you want to write / paste the text into first?

    I highlight the text and cut it, then put the cursor where I want it and
    click paste. It usually works. Should I move the cursor before I cut the
    highlighted text, if it is to go to another page or program?

    Just tried that, but when I move the cursor the highlight disappears from
    the text.

    > Also, if you don't want to use those menu's at the top under the Edit menu
    > as
    > you are doing, and easier way is to highlight your text and press CTRL-C
    > to copy
    > it, and use CTRL-V to paste it.

    Thank you.
    I highlight the text . I'm using the cut and paste buttons most of the time,
    but that way might be easier.

    I just tried it. Instead of the cut text, CTRL-V just produced v. I pressed
    the paste button and the text came back. The cut and paste buttons would
    probably be simpler. But maybe it would be a way to move text between
    programs, I'll try it.

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Oct 29, 2006
  13. Geopelia

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Geopelia" <> wrote in

    > I highlight the text and cut it, then put the cursor where I want it
    > and click paste. It usually works. Should I move the cursor before I
    > cut the highlighted text, if it is to go to another page or program?
    >
    > Just tried that, but when I move the cursor the highlight disappears
    > from the text.

    Control C is copy
    Control V is paste. This works when the right click is greyed out
    sometimes, so it is worth a try.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Oct 29, 2006
  14. Geopelia

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 15:27:07 +1300, "Geopelia" <> wrote:

    >"Craig Shore" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 23:48:15 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in message

    >>>Yes, but just got the "page has expired" notice. It wouldn't have got
    >>>lost,
    >>>I think, if Blogger.com had been working properly. They were having
    >>>problems.

    >>>I looked for a "save" button, like the one in "Word", but there doesn't
    >>>seem
    >>>to be one.
    >>>
    >>>I've just started a blog, so have a lot to learn. I can use copy and paste
    >>>in a document or newsgroup message, but have problems moving stuff into
    >>>different programs. Often the copy and paste in the menu is greyed out.

    >> Sounds a bit weird. Have you placed the cursor into the box (by clicking
    >> in the
    >> box) you want to write / paste the text into first?

    >I highlight the text and cut it, then put the cursor where I want it and
    >click paste. It usually works. Should I move the cursor before I cut the
    >highlighted text, if it is to go to another page or program?
    >
    >Just tried that, but when I move the cursor the highlight disappears from
    >the text.

    No, I just thought maybe you hadn't put the cursor into the box you wanted to
    paste the text into, which would be a reason that paste would be greyed out.
    But if you had done that then i'm not sure why it would be greyed out aside from
    if you forgot to copy (or cut) some text onto the clipboard in the first place
    :)

    >> Also, if you don't want to use those menu's at the top under the Edit menu
    >> as
    >> you are doing, and easier way is to highlight your text and press CTRL-C
    >> to copy
    >> it, and use CTRL-V to paste it.

    >Thank you.
    >I highlight the text . I'm using the cut and paste buttons most of the time,
    >but that way might be easier.
    >
    >I just tried it. Instead of the cut text, CTRL-V just produced v. I pressed
    >the paste button and the text came back. The cut and paste buttons would
    >probably be simpler. But maybe it would be a way to move text between
    >programs, I'll try it.

    That doesn't sound right. Are you doing this. Highlight your text to copy (or
    cut). Hold down the CONTROL (ctrl) key, press and release the C key, then
    release the CONTROL key. That will copy the text to the clipboard, leaving the
    original untouched.

    CTRL-X cuts if you prefer that over copy (CTRL-C). You can see all those
    keyboard shortcuts in the Edit menu beside each one where you are presently
    using them.

    Then put the cursor into the area where you want the text pasted. Press and
    hold down CONTROL, press and release the V key, release CONTROL.

    It does exactly the same as you are doing via the menus, just saves moving the
    mouse up there and dropping down the menus etc.

    Craig Shore, Oct 29, 2006
  15. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Dave Taylor" <> wrote in message
    > "Geopelia" <> wrote in
    >
    >> I highlight the text and cut it, then put the cursor where I want it
    >> and click paste. It usually works. Should I move the cursor before I
    >> cut the highlighted text, if it is to go to another page or program?
    >>
    >> Just tried that, but when I move the cursor the highlight disappears
    >> from the text.
    >>

    > Control C is copy
    > Control V is paste. This works when the right click is greyed out
    > sometimes, so it is worth a try.

    I'll try it when I get something greyed. Thank you

    Geopelia, Oct 29, 2006
  16. Geopelia

    > On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 15:27:07 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    > wrote:

    (Had to snip a lot as it wouldn't post)

    >>> Sounds a bit weird. Have you placed the cursor into the box (by
    >>> clicking
    >>> in the
    >>> box) you want to write / paste the text into first?

    >>I highlight the text and cut it, then put the cursor where I want it and
    >>click paste. It usually works. Should I move the cursor before I cut the
    >>highlighted text, if it is to go to another page or program?
    >>
    >>Just tried that, but when I move the cursor the highlight disappears from
    >>the text.

    > No, I just thought maybe you hadn't put the cursor into the box you wanted
    > paste the text into, which would be a reason that paste would be greyed
    > out.
    >
    > That doesn't sound right. Are you doing this. Highlight your text to copy
    > (or
    > cut). Hold down the CONTROL (ctrl) key, press and release the C key, then
    > release the CONTROL key. That will copy the text to the clipboard, leaving
    > the
    > original untouched.
    >
    > CTRL-X cuts if you prefer that over copy (CTRL-C). You can see all those
    > keyboard shortcuts in the Edit menu beside each one where you are
    > presently
    > using them.
    >
    > Then put the cursor into the area where you want the text pasted. Press
    > and
    > hold down CONTROL, press and release the V key, release CONTROL.
    >
    > It does exactly the same as you are doing via the menus, just saves moving
    > the
    > mouse up there and dropping down the menus etc.

    Thank you, that is quite clear. Maybe I wasn't pressing CTRL and V in the
    right order. I think I was pressing them together.
    I'll see how that works next time I need to move something.

    I would like to put some of the things I say in newsgroups into a blog, but
    couldn't work out how to do it.

    Geopelia, Oct 29, 2006
  17. In message <ei237u$agj$>, Geopelia wrote:

    > (Had to snip a lot as it wouldn't post)

    In general you should snip irrelevancies from the stuff you're quoting. Only
    leave enough to provide basic meaningful context for your replies.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 29, 2006
  18. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Geopelia" <> wrote in message

    > "Craig Shore" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 15:27:07 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    > (Had to snip a lot as it wouldn't post)
    >> That doesn't sound right. Are you doing this. Highlight your text to
    >> copy
    >> (or
    >> cut). Hold down the CONTROL (ctrl) key, press and release the C key,
    >> then
    >> release the CONTROL key. That will copy the text to the clipboard,
    >> leaving
    >> the
    >> original untouched.
    >>
    >> CTRL-X cuts if you prefer that over copy (CTRL-C). You can see all those
    >> keyboard shortcuts in the Edit menu beside each one where you are
    >> presently
    >> using them.
    >>
    >> Then put the cursor into the area where you want the text pasted. Press
    >> and
    >> hold down CONTROL, press and release the V key, release CONTROL.
    >>
    >> It does exactly the same as you are doing via the menus, just saves
    >> moving
    >> the
    >> mouse up there and dropping down the menus etc.
    >>

    > Thank you, that is quite clear. Maybe I wasn't pressing CTRL and V in the
    > right order. I think I was pressing them together.
    > I'll see how that works next time I need to move something.
    >
    > I would like to put some of the things I say in newsgroups into a blog,
    > but
    > couldn't work out how to do it.

    I've just put a newsgroup message into a blog, using that method.
    I found that to highlight the text, I had to click "Reply" first.

    It worked!

    Many thanks for your help.

    Geopelia
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..

    Geopelia, Oct 29, 2006
  19. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    > In message <ei237u$agj$>, Geopelia wrote:
    >
    >> (Had to snip a lot as it wouldn't post)

    > In general you should snip irrelevancies from the stuff you're quoting.
    > Only
    > leave enough to provide basic meaningful context for your replies.

    I try to do that, but with all the technical stuff here it's hard to know
    sometimes what is relevant.

    Geopelia, Oct 29, 2006
  20. In message <ei37ns$2ga$>, Geopelia wrote:

    >> In message <ei237u$agj$>, Geopelia wrote:
    >>
    >>> (Had to snip a lot as it wouldn't post)

    >> In general you should snip irrelevancies from the stuff you're quoting.
    >> Only leave enough to provide basic meaningful context for your replies.

    > I try to do that, but with all the technical stuff here it's hard to know
    > sometimes what is relevant.

    The question is, is it relevant to your reply? If not, remove it, no matter
    how informative it might be.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 30, 2006