Blocking websites

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Demoness Abigor, Oct 6, 2003.

  1. How do you block a website from sending info through Mozilla Firebird? I use
    Firebird as a browser and players from www.outwar.com will send a message
    though to ask a link to be clicked to help them in this game. I've already
    clicked 'report this spammer' numerous time but they're still coming
    through. It's like the outwar player sends a url though and changes the url
    I'm currently looking at regardless of what page I'm on. I'm running the
    popup blocker in Firebird as well as Pop-Up Stopper from Panicware, Inc to
    stop pop up ads but this something that takes place of the web page I'm
    looking at. Sorry if that didn't make any sense. Thanks for all your help.


    --
    ...................................................................
    |Demoness Abigor|
    |net.goth|
    |The Pinkest Deceptagon in da world!
    |
    | http://goddess_abigor.livejournal.com
    |AIM|AbigorBot|

    |You take the blue pill, the story ends. Your browser closes and you believe
    whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in wonderland.
    And, I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.

    |Josh: you mentioned Transformers! and didn't use the words "are lame" in
    the same sentence! you are my dream girl!

    |Proud supporter of JROCKROLEPLAY at Live Journal
    | http://www.earth-inferno.com/jrockroleplay/
     
    Demoness Abigor, Oct 6, 2003
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Demoness Abigor wrote:

    > How do you block a website from sending info through Mozilla Firebird? I use
    > Firebird as a browser and players from www.outwar.com will send a message
    > though to ask a link to be clicked to help them in this game. I've already
    > clicked 'report this spammer' numerous time but they're still coming
    > through. It's like the outwar player sends a url though and changes the url
    > I'm currently looking at regardless of what page I'm on. I'm running the
    > popup blocker in Firebird as well as Pop-Up Stopper from Panicware, Inc to
    > stop pop up ads but this something that takes place of the web page I'm
    > looking at. Sorry if that didn't make any sense. Thanks for all your help.
    >
    >
    > --
    > ..................................................................
    > |Demoness Abigor|
    > |net.goth|
    > |The Pinkest Deceptagon in da world!
    > |
    > | http://goddess_abigor.livejournal.com
    > |AIM|AbigorBot|
    >
    > |You take the blue pill, the story ends. Your browser closes and you believe
    > whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in wonderland.
    > And, I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
    >
    > |Josh: you mentioned Transformers! and didn't use the words "are lame" in
    > the same sentence! you are my dream girl!
    >
    > |Proud supporter of JROCKROLEPLAY at Live Journal
    > | http://www.earth-inferno.com/jrockroleplay/
    >
    >
    >


    You are out of my experience here, but this sounds like more of a job
    for a firewall than a browser. Are you running any kind of firewall
    already?

    --
    Leonidas Jones
    Mozilla Champion
     
    Leonidas Jones, Oct 6, 2003
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. "Leonidas Jones" <> wrote in message
    news:9Z1gb.170518$...
    | Demoness Abigor wrote:
    | You are out of my experience here, but this sounds like more of a job
    | for a firewall than a browser. Are you running any kind of firewall
    | already?


    We're running the normal firewall that comes with Windows XP.


    --
    ...................................................................
    |Demoness Abigor|
    |net.goth|
    |The Pinkest Deceptagon in da world!
    |
    | http://goddess_abigor.livejournal.com
    |AIM|AbigorBot|

    |You take the blue pill, the story ends. Your browser closes and you believe
    whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in wonderland.
    And, I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.

    |Josh: you mentioned Transformers! and didn't use the words "are lame" in
    the same sentence! you are my dream girl!

    |Proud supporter of JROCKROLEPLAY at Live Journal
    | http://www.earth-inferno.com/jrockroleplay/
     
    Demoness Abigor, Oct 6, 2003
    #3
  4. Demoness Abigor

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Demoness Abigor wrote:

    > "Leonidas Jones" <> wrote in message
    > news:9Z1gb.170518$...
    > | Demoness Abigor wrote:
    > | You are out of my experience here, but this sounds like more of a job
    > | for a firewall than a browser. Are you running any kind of firewall
    > | already?
    >
    >
    > We're running the normal firewall that comes with Windows XP.
    >
    >


    I'm unclear exactly how this is working. Are you participating in a
    game on that web site? And just how are these intrusions showing up on
    your browser? As a pop-up message? Or are they part of the gaming
    environment?

    An off-topic note. In your signature you should include a space after
    the double-dashes (that's standard convention). Newsreaders will then
    automatically strip out the signature in subsequent replies. As in your
    answer to Lee Jones' his sig was stripped out. Helps prevent endless
    repetition of sigs throughout a thread. ;-)


    --
    Ed Mullen - Mozilla Champion
    http://edmullen.net
    http://edmullen.net/moz.html
    Don't use a big word where a diminutive one will suffice.
     
    Ed Mullen, Oct 6, 2003
    #4
  5. "Ed Mullen" <> wrote in message
    news:pW6gb.48330$%h1.33072@sccrnsc02...
    | I'm unclear exactly how this is working. Are you participating in a
    | game on that web site? And just how are these intrusions showing up on
    | your browser? As a pop-up message? Or are they part of the gaming
    | environment?


    Not a pop up and I'm not participating in the game. Think of it like this.
    you're looking at a website right now and then the page loads and it's the
    player trying to get support from www.outwar.com.

    | An off-topic note. In your signature you should include a space after
    | the double-dashes (that's standard convention). Newsreaders will then
    | automatically strip out the signature in subsequent replies. As in your
    | answer to Lee Jones' his sig was stripped out. Helps prevent endless
    | repetition of sigs throughout a thread. ;-)

    Thanks about the heads up. I'm still a little new at the ng_sig thing. Is
    that a little better? ^___^
    ...................................................................
    |Demoness Abigor|
    |net.goth|
    |The Pinkest Deceptagon in da world!
    |
    | http://goddess_abigor.livejournal.com
    |AIM|AbigorBot|

    |You take the blue pill, the story ends. Your browser closes and you believe
    whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in wonderland.
    And, I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.

    |Josh: you mentioned Transformers! and didn't use the words "are lame" in
    the same sentence! you are my dream girl!

    |Proud supporter of JROCKROLEPLAY at Live Journal
    | http://www.earth-inferno.com/jrockroleplay/
     
    Demoness Abigor, Oct 6, 2003
    #5
  6. Demoness Abigor

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Demoness Abigor wrote:

    > "Ed Mullen" <> wrote in message
    > news:pW6gb.48330$%h1.33072@sccrnsc02...
    > | I'm unclear exactly how this is working. Are you participating in a
    > | game on that web site? And just how are these intrusions showing up on
    > | your browser? As a pop-up message? Or are they part of the gaming
    > | environment?
    >
    >
    > Not a pop up and I'm not participating in the game. Think of it like this.
    > you're looking at a website right now and then the page loads and it's the
    > player trying to get support from www.outwar.com.


    Ok. I re-read your original post more carefully. You can be on any
    page in your browser and some gamer sends you a message asking for help.
    Where does that message appear? I'm guessing one of the following is
    happening here:

    1. You have some service running on your machine which is letting this
    happen.

    2. You (or someone using your computer) registered on that site at some
    time and your ID is still active and available.

    From the web site's spam policy:

    ******************
    Outwar Anti-Spam Policy

    Outwar prohibits its members from using spam and other forms of Internet
    abuse to gain character power. Spam is defined as including, but not
    limited to, the following:

    Electronic mail messages addressed to a recipient with whom the
    initiator does not have an existing business or personal relationship or
    is not sent at the request of, or with the express consent of, the
    recipient;

    Messages posted to Usenet and message boards that are off-topic
    (unrelated to the topic of discussion), cross-posted to unrelated
    newsgroups, or posted in excessive volume;

    Solicitations posted to chat rooms, or to groups or individuals via
    Internet Relay Chat or "Instant Messaging" system (such as ICQ);

    Certain off-line activities that, while not considered spam, are similar
    in nature, including distributing flyers or leaflets on private property
    or where prohibited by applicable rules, regulations, or laws.
    ********************************

    >
    > | An off-topic note. In your signature you should include a space after
    > | the double-dashes (that's standard convention). Newsreaders will then
    > | automatically strip out the signature in subsequent replies. As in your
    > | answer to Lee Jones' his sig was stripped out. Helps prevent endless
    > | repetition of sigs throughout a thread. ;-)
    >
    > Thanks about the heads up. I'm still a little new at the ng_sig thing. Is
    > that a little better? ^___^
    > ..................................................................


    Ummm, no! :-D

    Look at my sig. It begins with hyphen hyphen space, then a carriage
    return, then the sig info. It's "-- " not "--". And not any other two
    characters other than the hyphen.


    --
    Ed Mullen - Mozilla Champion
    http://edmullen.net
    http://edmullen.net/moz.html
    Why do people leave cars worth tens of thousands of dollars in the
    driveway and leave useless things and junk in boxes in the garage?
     
    Ed Mullen, Oct 6, 2003
    #6
  7. "Ed Mullen" <> wrote in message
    news:WR7gb.695772$uu5.113889@sccrnsc04...

    | Ok. I re-read your original post more carefully. You can be on any
    | page in your browser and some gamer sends you a message asking for help.
    | Where does that message appear? I'm guessing one of the following is
    | happening here:
    |
    | 1. You have some service running on your machine which is letting this
    | happen.
    |
    | 2. You (or someone using your computer) registered on that site at some
    | time and your ID is still active and available.
    |
    | From the web site's spam policy:
    <snip>
    Actually neither myself or my husband had ever heard of it until I started
    getting them about 2 weeks ago. It's really strange how their page will
    replace the url I'm looking at.
     
    Demoness Abigor, Oct 6, 2003
    #7
  8. Demoness Abigor

    :: brian :: Guest

    Demoness Abigor wrote:

    > How do you block a website from sending info through Mozilla Firebird? I use
    > Firebird as a browser and players from www.outwar.com will send a message
    > though to ask a link to be clicked to help them in this game. I've already
    > clicked 'report this spammer' numerous time but they're still coming
    > through. It's like the outwar player sends a url though and changes the url
    > I'm currently looking at regardless of what page I'm on. I'm running the
    > popup blocker in Firebird as well as Pop-Up Stopper from Panicware, Inc to
    > stop pop up ads but this something that takes place of the web page I'm
    > looking at. Sorry if that didn't make any sense. Thanks for all your help.
    >
    >

    <signature removed>

    Have you checked the computer for spyware programs? Maybe? I don't
    understand what this link looks like.


    --
    Brian
     
    :: brian ::, Oct 6, 2003
    #8
  9. Demoness Abigor

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Demoness Abigor wrote:
    > "Ed Mullen" <> wrote in message
    > news:WR7gb.695772$uu5.113889@sccrnsc04...
    >
    > | Ok. I re-read your original post more carefully. You can be on any
    > | page in your browser and some gamer sends you a message asking for help.
    > | Where does that message appear? I'm guessing one of the following is
    > | happening here:
    > |
    > | 1. You have some service running on your machine which is letting this
    > | happen.
    > |
    > | 2. You (or someone using your computer) registered on that site at some
    > | time and your ID is still active and available.
    > |
    > | From the web site's spam policy:
    > <snip>
    > Actually neither myself or my husband had ever heard of it until I started
    > getting them about 2 weeks ago. It's really strange how their page will
    > replace the url I'm looking at.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >


    Still to understand for me is where these messages appear. Are they
    coming up in a browser window? In an instant messaging window? In
    email? Are you running Microsoft Messenger? Are you running some
    peer-to-peer software like Kazaa?

    As another poster suggested, get a spyware/adware checking program and
    run it. The two most popular ones are:

    Adaware - http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    Spybot Search and Destroy - http://www.safer-networking.org/

    Just read the documentation carefully and don't automatically delete
    everything that might be flagged by a scan. Sometimes things are flagged
    that are either benign or that you might actually want to have present.

    I keep coming back to the idea that there is some service/program
    running on your system that is enabling this behavior that you aren't
    aware of.

    Also, if this problem is happening consistently, try disabling
    javascript and Java in Preferences - Advanced for both your email and
    browser and see if that stops this.

    Final thought. If the initial inquiry/message that causes the problem is
    always coming from www.outwar.com, you can add that entry in your Hosts
    file and block access completely.

    This has to be most interesting problem I've seen in a long time!


    --
    Ed Mullen - Mozilla Champion
    http://edmullen.net
    http://edmullen.net/moz.html

    If a man stands in the middle of the forest speaking and there is no
    woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
     
    Ed Mullen, Oct 6, 2003
    #9
  10. ":: brian ::" <user@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    news:RFcgb.56760$a16.52272@lakeread01...
    | Demoness Abigor wrote:
    | Have you checked the computer for spyware programs? Maybe? I don't
    | understand what this link looks like.

    I'm not running any P2P programs at all and I use Lavasoft Ad-aware 6 twice
    a day.

    In regards to how they come up. It's like someone sends a message through to
    my web browser as if I wanted to go to there site but haven't made the
    action myself.

    |Final thought. If the initial inquiry/message that causes the problem is
    |always coming from www.outwar.com, you can add that entry in your Hosts
    |file and block access completely.

    I think that's what I was trying to find out. How would I do that.

    ______________________________________________________
    |Demoness Abigor|net.goth|The Pinkest Deceptagon in da world!
    | | http://goddess_abigor.livejournal.com
    |AIM|AbigorBot|
    |Josh: you mentioned Transformers! and didn't use the words "are lame" in
    the same sentence! you are my dream girl!
    |Proud supporter of JROCKROLEPLAY at Live Journal |
    http://www.earth-inferno.com/jrockroleplay/
     
    Demoness Abigor, Oct 6, 2003
    #10
  11. Demoness Abigor

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Demoness Abigor wrote:
    > ":: brian ::" <user@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    > news:RFcgb.56760$a16.52272@lakeread01...
    > | Demoness Abigor wrote:
    > | Have you checked the computer for spyware programs? Maybe? I don't
    > | understand what this link looks like.
    >
    > I'm not running any P2P programs at all and I use Lavasoft Ad-aware 6 twice
    > a day.
    >
    > In regards to how they come up. It's like someone sends a message through to
    > my web browser as if I wanted to go to there site but haven't made the
    > action myself.


    And one more time: does this happen no matter what site you are
    currently looking at?

    >
    > |Final thought. If the initial inquiry/message that causes the problem is
    > |always coming from www.outwar.com, you can add that entry in your Hosts
    > |file and block access completely.
    >
    > I think that's what I was trying to find out. How would I do that.
    >


    Depends on your OS.

    Windows 95/98/Me c:\windows\hosts
    Windows NT/2000/XP Pro c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    Windows XP Home c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

    It's a plain text file. There should be a default file that you can
    edit. Just make sure that when you save it you do not put an extension
    (like .txt) on the file or Windows won't recognize it.

    The file will have some explanatory (and non-functional) comments and a
    single functional line at the bottom:

    127.0.0.1 localhost

    Add this line after the one above in your hosts file:

    127.0.0.1 www.outwar.com

    Save the file.

    Depending on how this intrusion is working you may be ok with this. Or
    you may now start getting error messages from Mozilla that the
    connection couldn't be made. If so, just back out the change to the
    hosts file. Or the intrusion may be coming from some other source, in
    which case you'll need to positively ID what that source is for the
    hosts file trick to work.

    Perhaps a better way to approach this is with a firewall program that
    would allow you to block the incoming and outgoing traffic generated by
    this intrusion. The built-in Windows firewall does not block outbound
    traffic. If your machine is running some service that is allowing this
    to happen a good firewall like Zone Alarm (even the free version) is the
    first thing I'd do to try to identify how this is happening.

    You should also look at Task Manager when this happens to see if there
    are any processes running that you don't recognize and cannot identify
    as legitimate. Especially any instant messaging programs.

    The hosts file and the fire wall are still not an ultimate solution to
    the problem. From your description I'm guessing there is some service
    on your system that is allowing this. You really should continue to try
    and figure out why this is happening. Wish I could sit down at your
    machine and see this in action.


    --
    Ed Mullen - Mozilla Champion
    http://edmullen.net
    http://edmullen.net/moz.html

    Why do they use sterilized needles for lethal injections?
     
    Ed Mullen, Oct 7, 2003
    #11
  12. Ed Mullen wrote:

    > Demoness Abigor wrote:
    >
    >>":: brian ::" <user@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    >>news:RFcgb.56760$a16.52272@lakeread01...
    >>| Demoness Abigor wrote:
    >>| Have you checked the computer for spyware programs? Maybe? I don't
    >>| understand what this link looks like.
    >>
    >>I'm not running any P2P programs at all and I use Lavasoft Ad-aware 6 twice
    >>a day.
    >>
    >>In regards to how they come up. It's like someone sends a message through to
    >>my web browser as if I wanted to go to there site but haven't made the
    >>action myself.

    >
    >
    > And one more time: does this happen no matter what site you are
    > currently looking at?
    >
    >
    >>|Final thought. If the initial inquiry/message that causes the problem is
    >>|always coming from www.outwar.com, you can add that entry in your Hosts
    >>|file and block access completely.
    >>
    >>I think that's what I was trying to find out. How would I do that.
    >>

    >
    >
    > Depends on your OS.
    >
    > Windows 95/98/Me c:\windows\hosts
    > Windows NT/2000/XP Pro c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    > Windows XP Home c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    >
    > It's a plain text file. There should be a default file that you can
    > edit. Just make sure that when you save it you do not put an extension
    > (like .txt) on the file or Windows won't recognize it.
    >
    > The file will have some explanatory (and non-functional) comments and a
    > single functional line at the bottom:
    >
    > 127.0.0.1 localhost
    >
    > Add this line after the one above in your hosts file:
    >
    > 127.0.0.1 www.outwar.com
    >
    > Save the file.
    >
    > Depending on how this intrusion is working you may be ok with this. Or
    > you may now start getting error messages from Mozilla that the
    > connection couldn't be made. If so, just back out the change to the
    > hosts file. Or the intrusion may be coming from some other source, in
    > which case you'll need to positively ID what that source is for the
    > hosts file trick to work.
    >
    > Perhaps a better way to approach this is with a firewall program that
    > would allow you to block the incoming and outgoing traffic generated by
    > this intrusion. The built-in Windows firewall does not block outbound
    > traffic. If your machine is running some service that is allowing this
    > to happen a good firewall like Zone Alarm (even the free version) is the
    > first thing I'd do to try to identify how this is happening.
    >
    > You should also look at Task Manager when this happens to see if there
    > are any processes running that you don't recognize and cannot identify
    > as legitimate. Especially any instant messaging programs.
    >
    > The hosts file and the fire wall are still not an ultimate solution to
    > the problem. From your description I'm guessing there is some service
    > on your system that is allowing this. You really should continue to try
    > and figure out why this is happening. Wish I could sit down at your
    > machine and see this in action.


    Thanks so much for all your help Ed. I wish you could too. I've never
    seen anything like it before.

    --
    |Demoness Abigor|net.goth|The Pinkest Deceptagon in da world!
    | | http://goddess_abigor.livejournal.com
    |AIM|AbigorBot|
    |Josh: you mentioned Transformers! and didn't use the words "are lame"
    in the same sentence! you are my dream girl!
    |JROCKROLEPLAY at Live Journal| http://www.earth-inferno.com/jrockroleplay/
     
    Demoness Abigor, Oct 12, 2003
    #12
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Preesi

    Firefox blocking certain websites

    Preesi, Mar 21, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    2,958
  2. B.W.

    Java blocking websites

    B.W., Dec 16, 2006, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    601
  3. MAc

    Blocking websites?

    MAc, Feb 12, 2005, in forum: Computer Information
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    347
    donny
    Feb 12, 2005
  4. Dan

    Websites blocking right click

    Dan, Sep 3, 2007, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    2,213
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    Oct 13, 2007
  5. Hmmm

    orcon blocking some websites?

    Hmmm, Nov 4, 2004, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    22
    Views:
    871
    Collector»NZ
    Nov 16, 2004
Loading...

Share This Page