    The security level is on High

    Any idea how to make this work?

    Thanks

    Garland, Jan 10, 2006

  2. Garland wrote:
    > I'd like to block some sites from being viewed in IE6.
    >
    > I've gone to Security, Restricted sites, and entered the sites I'd like to
    > block, but this doesn't happen, the sites are still viewable.
    >
    > The security level is on High
    >
    > Any idea how to make this work?

    Use Google to look up how "hosts" files are done. Get some examples at
    no charge, edit them to suit your needs. Such as:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=hosts file&btnG=Google Search

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jan 10, 2006

  3. Garland

    Unk Guest

    On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 09:00:53 -0000, "Garland" <.> wrote:

    >I'd like to block some sites from being viewed in IE6.
    >
    >I've gone to Security, Restricted sites, and entered the sites I'd like to
    >block, but this doesn't happen, the sites are still viewable.
    >
    >The security level is on High
    >
    >Any idea how to make this work?
    >
    >Thanks

    You could use the Hosts (no extension) file in "C:\Windows"
    Read the "Hosts.sam" with notepad to see how to use it.
    Also see "Using the Hosts File" http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/
    and http://www.everythingisnt.com/hosts.html
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

    or

    Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Internet Options, "Content", tab, "Content Advisor"
    "Enable" button, "Approved Sites" tab, type in the url of the site you want blocked, click
    "Never" button, click "Apply", "OK".
    You can also click the "General" tab, and set a password so the "Content Advisor" can't be
    altered.

    Unk, Jan 10, 2006
  4. Garland

    Garland Guest

    Thanks for the info.

    But I was hoping to use the Explorer software, after all, there is a setting
    to block sites ,but it doesn't seem to work.

    Thanks

    Garland, Jan 10, 2006
  5. Garland wrote:

    > Thanks for the info.
    >
    > But I was hoping to use the Explorer software, after all, there is a setting
    > to block sites ,but it doesn't seem to work.

    Using a hosts file has got to be one of the best bits of advice you can
    get, especially when you see that it works.
    I have one which is 579KB with 19,900 entries.
    How long do you think it will take you to create your own list?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Jan 10, 2006
  6. Garland

    dadiOH Guest

    Garland wrote:
    > Thanks for the info.
    >
    > But I was hoping to use the Explorer software, after all, there is a
    > setting to block sites ,but it doesn't seem to work.

    "Restricted Zone" isn't to block sites, it is to define security
    settings for sites within that zone. The hosts file is what you need...

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    dadiOH, Jan 10, 2006
  7. Garland

    Garland Guest

    Ah..

    I see

    thanks

    Garland, Jan 10, 2006
  8. Garland

    Spuds Guest

    On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 11:20:13 GMT, Brian H¹© <> wrote:

    >Garland wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks for the info.
    >>
    >> But I was hoping to use the Explorer software, after all, there is a setting
    >> to block sites ,but it doesn't seem to work.
    >>

    >Using a hosts file has got to be one of the best bits of advice you can
    >get, especially when you see that it works.
    >I have one which is 579KB with 19,900 entries.
    >How long do you think it will take you to create your own list?

    Just curious - does a hosts file that size affect your browsing speed at all?

    Spuds, Jan 10, 2006
  9. Garland

    Doc Guest

    Spuds <> wrote in

    >>Using a hosts file has got to be one of the best bits of advice you
    >>can get, especially when you see that it works.
    >>I have one which is 579KB with 19,900 entries.
    >>How long do you think it will take you to create your own list?

    > Just curious - does a hosts file that size affect your browsing speed
    > at all?

    Mine is 879KB, with 34,000 entries. On WinME with an old PII 300MHz I
    notice no difference, speedwise, if I disable the hosts file ..... in fact
    faster with the HOSTS file and eDexter as my dialup doesn't have to
    download all the advertising that I have blocked.

    To my knowledge, Win2K DOES have issues with a large HOSTS file under
    certain setups.

    Doc, Jan 11, 2006
  10. Spuds wrote:
    > On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 11:20:13 GMT, Brian H¹© <> wrote:
    >

    >>Garland wrote:
    >>

    >>>Thanks for the info.
    >>>
    >>>But I was hoping to use the Explorer software, after all, there is a setting
    >>>to block sites ,but it doesn't seem to work.
    >>>

    >>Using a hosts file has got to be one of the best bits of advice you can
    >>get, especially when you see that it works.
    >>I have one which is 579KB with 19,900 entries.
    >>How long do you think it will take you to create your own list?

    > Just curious - does a hosts file that size affect your browsing speed at all?

    Better actually as it reduces the wasted bandwidth by not loading the
    unwanted stuff.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Jan 11, 2006
  11. Doc wrote:
    > Spuds <> wrote in
    >

    >>>Using a hosts file has got to be one of the best bits of advice you
    >>>can get, especially when you see that it works.
    >>>I have one which is 579KB with 19,900 entries.
    >>>How long do you think it will take you to create your own list?

    >>Just curious - does a hosts file that size affect your browsing speed
    >>at all?
    >>

    > Mine is 879KB, with 34,000 entries. On WinME with an old PII 300MHz I
    > notice no difference, speedwise, if I disable the hosts file ..... in fact
    > faster with the HOSTS file and eDexter as my dialup doesn't have to
    > download all the advertising that I have blocked.
    >
    > To my knowledge, Win2K DOES have issues with a large HOSTS file under
    > certain setups.

    Any chance you could send me a copy of yours so I can merge it with mine
    please?

    admin(at)absey-vine.co.uk

    thanks

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Jan 11, 2006