    Sorry for my bad english.

    Thx in advance

    John S

    SiX, Feb 7, 2006

  2. SiX

    Peter Adler Guest

    SiX wrote:

    > Hellow
    >
    > Im doing a school project about blocking Rogue Ad-hoc networks
    > This can be used during exams, when students are not allow to transfer
    > files to eachother.
    >
    > I found some information on google, but nothing specific how to do it.
    >
    > I cannot buy any hardware, it has to be done with the available
    > resources.
    >
    > Any websites or ebooks that could help, are greatly appriciated.
    >
    > Sorry for my bad english.
    >
    > Thx in advance
    >
    > John S

    The point of a school project is to teach you how to think for yourself,
    not how to copy someone else's solution. Besides, with the few companies
    that are in this field charging multiple thouusands of dollars for their
    solutions, you're not likely to find detailed "how to do it" instructions
    publicly available.

    The way to attack problems like this is to break it into smaller parts.

    For example, what do you suppose the first step might be in "blocking" any
    sort of wireless communication? It seems to me that the first step must
    be discovering that there is any such communication going on in the first
    place. So, the first issue is: how do you detect the presence of a
    wireless network? Ever hear of the term "war driving"? What are your
    "available resources"?

    Now that you've detected a wireless network, now what? Is it authorized
    or unauthorized? How do you know? What information do you know about the
    network you've detected? How could you use this information to disrupt
    the communication link? In order to answer this question, you must know
    how wireless network communication works, both physically -- it uses radio
    transmitters and receivers -- and logically -- it uses the IEEE 802.11
    protocol.

    How might you "block" radio communications? Is that really a good idea?
    What effect might this have on other, legitimate communications? In any
    case, can you do anything effective with your "available resources"?

    How does a wireless LAN operate? What are control frames? See if this
    gives you any ideas
    http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/1447501

    Good luck.

    Peter Adler, Feb 7, 2006

  3. Hi

    Peter is Right, but a little steering is educational as well.

    This is an interesting issue, AD-Hoc setting is not depending on any other
    Wireless in a given network environment.

    Whoever uses Ad-Hoc for Rouge purposes, like the one that you mentioned,
    does not use or need the local Network system, and he is not connected to
    it.

    Which means that the Environment has to be scanned for the presence of all
    Wireless WIFI Signals.

    The scanner has to have the capacity to alert the authority that a Rouge
    signal is presence, and its precise location, so that some one can go there
    and physically catch the culprit.

    How Should I do it? That is your Job!

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 7, 2006