Blocking P2P on Home Computer

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Andrew Watiker, Jan 24, 2004.

  1. I have a problem on my home network. I have a sister who continously
    installs P2P software on her computer running XP Home. I am currently
    trying to find a way to block her from doing so. However this is hard then
    it seems as it is "her computer". Since it isn't mine I really can't not
    give her admin rights to it or install tons of software firewalls. However
    since we are on a shared network I don't want to lose my bandwith to her
    activites. (Or because of my ISP, get my uploads capped). Also since I am
    the only one who knows how to fix things any viruses she picks up I have to
    remove. This is what I have tried so far:

    First she installed LimeWire:

    I first unistalled it (and used Spybot) and then tried to block the LimeWire
    port which from what I can tell is 1025 by telling my router, using port
    forwarding, to forward it to a non existent IP address. However the next
    time her friend was over they claim to have been able to get LimeWire to be
    functional after a reinstall, even with the port blocked. I then
    uninstalled again and added several entries to her HOSTS file:

    0.0.0.0 www.kazaa.com
    0.0.0.0 www.limewire.com
    0.0.0.0 www.imesh.com
    0.0.0.0 www.groster.com
    0.0.0.0 www.zeropaid.com
    0.0.0.0 www.morpheus.com
    0.0.0.0 www.bearshare.com
    0.0.0.0 www.winmx.com
    0.0.0.0 www.easymusicdownload.com
    0.0.0.0 www.bearhug.com
    0.0.0.0 www.download.bearshare.com
    0.0.0.0 secure.bareshare.com
    0.0.0.0 www.shareaza.com
    0.0.0.0 www.facesoffilesharing.com
    0.0.0.0 www.bitconjurer.org/bittorrent
    0.0.0.0 www.xolox.nl
    0.0.0.0 www.piolet.com
    0.0.0.0 www.emule-project.net
    0.0.0.0 www.edonkey2000.com
    0.0.0.0 desktop.kazaa.com
    0.0.0.0 alpha.kazaa.com
    0.0.0.0 shop.kazaa.com
    0.0.0.0 www.kazaa.org
    0.0.0.0 www.kazaa.not

    However I then found she had still installed BearShare. I am trying to
    think of a way to block all of this from being installed but I am running
    out of ideas. If anyone can think of anything, let me know. Normally I
    could just remove admin rights, but again it is her computer.

    ---
    Andrew Watiker, Jan 24, 2004

  2. Andrew Watiker

    HF Guest

    Like you say - it IS her computer.I am glad you arent my brother.Live and
    let live !!!

    ---
    HF, Jan 24, 2004

  3. Andrew Watiker

    Thor Guest

    Simply force her to get her own net access account, or make her pay for part
    of your net access cost for eating up your upload allotment. Otherwise,
    tampering with *her* computer just because you are pissed about how she uses
    it, is ridiculous.

    Thor, Jan 24, 2004
  4. Except that A) I have to fix it when it breaksm, she has no clue about how
    to remove whatever viruses and stuff she'll pick off P2P and B) I have to
    suffer slower uploads if my cable ISP caps them. My ISP normally provides
    900kbps or so uploads. Is too much is uploaded however, they cap that to
    128k.

    Andrew Watiker, Jan 24, 2004
  5. Except that A) I have to fix it when it breaksm, she has no clue about how

    Andrew Watiker, Jan 24, 2004
  6. Andrew Watiker

    Thor Guest

    > Except that A) I have to fix it when it breaksm, she has no clue about how
    > to remove whatever viruses and stuff she'll pick off P2P and B) I have to
    > suffer slower uploads if my cable ISP caps them. My ISP normally provides
    > 900kbps or so uploads. Is too much is uploaded however, they cap that to
    > 128k.

    Who said you *have* to fix it? Let her **** it up for awhile, and after she
    can't use her PC due to the mess she's made, perhaps she'll learn not to
    download and install every piece of internet sludge she runs across. Your
    fixing it all the time merely makes it easier for her to keep doing what
    she's doing. Besides, if your so willing to try and control her usage, and
    block her from using these types of programs, then why aren't you willing to
    set up a password protected admin account, give her a limited account, and
    simply take control of things completely? It seems to me that you just want
    to address things surreptitiously. Step up to the plate and tell her how it
    is. Tell her you won't fix her machine anymore if she keeps screwing things
    up. Or, as I said, make her get her own account, with her own upload cap.
    Problem solved.
    Thor, Jan 24, 2004
  7. Andrew Watiker

    Trent© Guest

    On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 17:17:47 GMT, "Andrew Watiker"
    <> wrote:

    >I have a problem on my home network. I have a sister who continously
    >installs P2P software on her computer running XP Home. I am currently
    >trying to find a way to block her from doing so. However this is hard then
    >it seems as it is "her computer". Since it isn't mine I really can't not
    >give her admin rights to it or install tons of software firewalls.

    You shouldn't be putting ANY limits on her computer...even what you've
    done so far. That HOST file is gonna come back to bite you some day!

    Who's payin' for the ISP? If she isn't, don't give her access to
    it...if you want to be that kind of a brother!

    But...if you want to be a NICE brother...just let her go on her merry
    way...and HELP her keep her machine in good running order.

    Set up a 'weekly maintenance' folder...and put utilities in there that
    will help her get rid of any junk she may have picked up. Just number
    them...and show her how to click #1...then#2...etc.

    1. End It All 2

    2. Clean out and compact OE.

    3. Clean out temp files in IE.

    4. Run scandisk...or an equivalent.

    5. Run a good defrag program...ME...or Vopt.

    6. Completely run the anti-virus program. Latest definitions should
    be gotten automatically for her...daily...and the program should be
    set to run in real-time mode for her.

    7. Completely run AdAware...with the latest definitions. You can
    also run that in real-time.

    Yer NOT gonna change her. She might be your sister...but that ALSO
    makes her a woman! Trust me...yer not gonna change her!! lol

    And I seriously doubt if she's uploading all that much.

    Change your attitude. Be the bestest brother she ever had!! lol

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    If the cheese isn't yours...its Nacho cheese, man!
    Trent©, Jan 25, 2004
  8. Andrew Watiker

    TV Slug Guest

    Andrew Watiker wrote:
    > Except that A) I have to fix it when it breaksm, she has no clue
    > about how to remove whatever viruses and stuff she'll pick off P2P
    > and B) I have to suffer slower uploads if my cable ISP caps them. My
    > ISP normally provides 900kbps or so uploads. Is too much is uploaded
    > however, they cap that to 128k.

    Since you have multiple computers on the connection, I assume you have a
    router. If so, even a router with basic filtering should let you throttle
    certain IP's and port numbers. Cut her off. When she says "hey, this isn't
    working" let her languish for a while, tell her it's the crap she's
    installing, and that this is the last time you will fix any problems
    releated to it. If she does it again, only allow her IP to access port
    80/81 on the internet. She'll be able to surf (maybe) and nothing else.

    ---
    TV Slug, Jan 26, 2004
  9. Andrew Watiker

    Spajky® Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I have a problem on my home network. I have a sister who continously
    >installs P2P software on her computer running XP Home. I am currently
    >trying to find a way to block her from doing so. However this is hard then
    >it seems as it is "her computer". Since it isn't mine I really can't not
    >give her admin rights to it or install tons of software firewalls. However
    >since we are on a shared network I don't want to lose my bandwith to her
    >activites.

    NetLimiter ....

    -- Regards, SPAJKY ®
    E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##