    TIA
    Jim
    , Dec 1, 2006

  2. Guest

    wrote:
    > The built in pop up blocker works pretty well, frequently telling me
    > it has blocked a pop up and offering to let me choose to allow it.
    > However I have noted a slowly increasing # of animated figures or
    > human images with verbal messages that pop up right inside (I guess)
    > the already open window and are very annoying. Sometimes there's just
    > a voice, but no image. Is there an extension, add on or setting that
    > will squash these?
    >
    > TIA
    > Jim

    how about posting a link so we can see what you're talking about?
    , Dec 1, 2006

  3. wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> The built in pop up blocker works pretty well, frequently telling me
    >> it has blocked a pop up and offering to let me choose to allow it.
    >> However I have noted a slowly increasing # of animated figures or
    >> human images with verbal messages that pop up right inside (I guess)
    >> the already open window and are very annoying. Sometimes there's just
    >> a voice, but no image. Is there an extension, add on or setting that
    >> will squash these?
    >>
    >> TIA
    >> Jim

    > how about posting a link so we can see what you're talking about?

    Yeah, I'm guessing its a flash ad, but Heavens is right, we need to see
    an example.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Dec 2, 2006
  4. Guest

    On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 00:41:57 GMT, Leonidas Jones <>
    wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> The built in pop up blocker works pretty well, frequently telling me
    >>> it has blocked a pop up and offering to let me choose to allow it.
    >>> However I have noted a slowly increasing # of animated figures or
    >>> human images with verbal messages that pop up right inside (I guess)
    >>> the already open window and are very annoying. Sometimes there's just
    >>> a voice, but no image. Is there an extension, add on or setting that
    >>> will squash these?
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>> Jim

    >> how about posting a link so we can see what you're talking about?
    >>

    >Yeah, I'm guessing its a flash ad, but Heavens is right, we need to see
    >an example.
    >
    >Lee

    Don't recall, although its happened at least twice where the figure
    obliterates a portion of the text I'm looking at and other times. I
    do see a sizable number of what I think are flash ads, but in their
    own space within the window. WIll repost the URLs when it happens
    again.
    , Dec 2, 2006
  5. On 2006-12-01, <> wrote:

    > The built in pop up blocker works pretty well, frequently telling me
    > it has blocked a pop up and offering to let me choose to allow it.
    > However I have noted a slowly increasing # of animated figures or
    > human images with verbal messages that pop up right inside (I guess)
    > the already open window and are very annoying. Sometimes there's just
    > a voice, but no image. Is there an extension, add on or setting that
    > will squash these?

    Try "FlashBlock" and "NoScript"

    --

    John ()
    John Thompson, Dec 2, 2006
  6. Canopus Guest

    John Thompson on 02/12/2006 wrote:

    >On 2006-12-01, <> wrote:
    >
    >>The built in pop up blocker works pretty well, frequently telling me
    >>it has blocked a pop up and offering to let me choose to allow it.
    >>However I have noted a slowly increasing # of animated figures or
    >>human images with verbal messages that pop up right inside (I guess)
    >>the already open window and are very annoying. Sometimes there's just
    >>a voice, but no image. Is there an extension, add on or setting that
    >>will squash these?

    >Try "FlashBlock" and "NoScript"

    If they are Flash adds I found a way to block them manually the other day.
    Expand the pop up window slightly so that you can right click on the blank part and choose Page Source. Look for the URL address of where it's coming from, open your Host File in a text editor and add
    127.0.0.1 URL goes here without http:\\
    e.g.
    127.0.0.1 ds.serving-sys.com
    which stopped all annoying flash ads from them.
    Remove and block cookie dropped by ad site.

    --
    Rob

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/canopus_archives/
    Canopus, Dec 5, 2006
  7. Guest

    wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> The built in pop up blocker works pretty well, frequently telling me
    >>> it has blocked a pop up and offering to let me choose to allow it.
    >>> However I have noted a slowly increasing # of animated figures or
    >>> human images with verbal messages that pop up right inside (I guess)
    >>> the already open window and are very annoying. Sometimes there's just
    >>> a voice, but no image. Is there an extension, add on or setting that
    >>> will squash these?
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>> Jim

    >> how about posting a link so we can see what you're talking about?
    >>

    >Yeah, I'm guessing its a flash ad, but Heavens is right, we need to see
    >an example.
    >
    >Lee

    This link:
    http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=nation_world&id=4824263

    produced a talking woman advertising something superimposed on the
    text stort. When I closed the window and reopened the same link, it
    did not happen, however.
    , Dec 6, 2006
  8. wrote:
    > On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 00:41:57 GMT, Leonidas Jones <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:

    >>> how about posting a link so we can see what you're talking about?
    >>>

    >> Yeah, I'm guessing its a flash ad, but Heavens is right, we need to see
    >> an example.
    >>
    >> Lee

    > This link:
    > http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=nation_world&id=4824263
    >
    > produced a talking woman advertising something superimposed on the
    > text stort. When I closed the window and reopened the same link, it
    > did not happen, however.

    That really is annoying.

    Its a floating swf file, not a popup. If it were a true popup, it would
    remain open and annoying when you reload the page. Since it is part of
    the page content, it disappears when you reload. Flash Block blocks it,
    though the button to close it hovers over the text in a rather annoying
    way, though the article can still be read. The site probably sets a
    cookie that keeps you from having to see it repeatedly.

    First of all, use your power as a consumer. Write the owners of the
    page, and express your displeasure with the annoying ads. If you can
    write the company that is advertised, telling them that you will never
    patronize a company that place such intrusive ads. You might be
    surprised how that can get their attention.

    In the meantime, at least for this site, whenever you get such an ad,
    simply reload the page, The cookie should keep the ad from reappearing.

    You can also install FlashBlock. Here is a site with some words on teh
    Flash popup issue, and a link to FlashBlock:

    http://www.boingboing.net/2005/05/08/flashblock_flash_blo.html

    Do note, however, there are some valuable uses of flash, such as the
    Yahoo beta financial graphs, that FlashBlock renders unusable. For the
    most part though, its a fine extension.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Dec 6, 2006
  9. Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > This link:
    > > http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=nation_world&id=4824263
    > >
    > > produced a talking woman advertising something superimposed on the
    > > text stort. When I closed the window and reopened the same link, it
    > > did not happen, however.
    > >

    > That really is annoying.
    >
    > Its a floating swf file, not a popup.

    I would contact abc and tell them I'm going to another station if they
    keep up that obnoxious flash.
    , Dec 7, 2006
  10. Guest