    foreign countries by default. then I'll go in and allow the few
    international sites that I Do use.
    Thanks very much.

    - Bobb -, Sep 27, 2010

  2. - Bobb -

    MowGreen Guest

    - Bobb - wrote:
    > I was doing a Google search and click on a link which redirected me to:
    > www .searching-for-virus53 co.cc
    > (I put a space in there so no one would accidentally click it.)
    > It's one of those " You have a virus" websites that pops up a fake desktop
    > with alerts ...
    > When I saw where I was going in IE, I hit STOP on ZoneAlarm and PC is fine.
    > SO, I then went into IE - security - restricted sites to try to add
    > "*//:*.co.cc" to the restricted area, but can't get the syntax right. My
    > input seems to be same as examples, but get error. Anyone good at the
    > correct syntax to block all sites from *.co.cc , or *.co.ru , etc ?
    > Also in this case I assume virus53.co.cc becomes virus 54, virus55 etc. I
    > tried ?? after "virus" but bad syntax too.
    > I will never need to go there on purpose so would like to have IE block all
    > foreign countries by default. then I'll go in and allow the few
    > international sites that I Do use.
    > Thanks very much.

    IF this is the actual address you encountered - searchingforvirus53co.cc
    then just add these IP addresses of the hosting site:
    114.207.244.144
    114.207.244.145
    114.207.244.146

    As far as blocking IP addys by country, see -

    Major IP Addresses Blocks By Country
    http://www.nirsoft.net/countryip/

    MowGreen
    ================
    *-343-* FDNY
    Never Forgotten
    ================

    MowGreen, Sep 27, 2010

  3. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    Thank you
    I tried whois and had no luck ( weblink had hyphens so that's what I
    searched for)

    As for the block by country list below, though, I thought I'd like to block
    "*.co.ru" for example, but doing it by blocking all current IP's in Russia
    seems extreme , and who's to say a new one won't appear next week ?
    http://www.nirsoft.net/countryip/ru.html

    Ideally, I'd block all countries outside US , by suffix, except for those
    specically allowed .
    So I'd allow only UK, DE, etc
    That's not an option though, huh ?

    Thanks for the pointer.

    - Bobb -, Sep 27, 2010
  4. - Bobb -

    MowGreen Guest

    - Bobb - wrote:
    > Thank you
    > I tried whois and had no luck ( weblink had hyphens so that's what I
    > searched for)
    >
    > As for the block by country list below, though, I thought I'd like to block
    > "*.co.ru" for example, but doing it by blocking all current IP's in Russia
    > seems extreme , and who's to say a new one won't appear next week ?
    > http://www.nirsoft.net/countryip/ru.html

    Eggsactly ! Bad domains come and go faster than my hairline. <w>

    > Ideally, I'd block all countries outside US , by suffix, except for those
    > specically allowed .
    > So I'd allow only UK, DE, etc
    > That's not an option though, huh ?
    >
    > Thanks for the pointer.

    This site contains an invaluable database of sites that should be
    avoided: http://hosts-file.net/

    MowGreen
    ================
    *-343-* FDNY
    Never Forgotten
    ================

    MowGreen, Sep 27, 2010
  5. - Bobb -

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    On 27/09/2010 11:20 AM, - Bobb - wrote:
    > I was doing a Google search and click on a link which redirected me to:
    > www .searching-for-virus53 co.cc
    > (I put a space in there so no one would accidentally click it.)
    > It's one of those " You have a virus" websites that pops up a fake desktop
    > with alerts ...
    > When I saw where I was going in IE, I hit STOP on ZoneAlarm and PC is fine.
    > SO, I then went into IE - security - restricted sites to try to add
    > "*//:*.co.cc" to the restricted area, but can't get the syntax right. My
    > input seems to be same as examples, but get error. Anyone good at the
    > correct syntax to block all sites from *.co.cc , or *.co.ru , etc ?
    > Also in this case I assume virus53.co.cc becomes virus 54, virus55 etc. I
    > tried ?? after "virus" but bad syntax too.
    > I will never need to go there on purpose so would like to have IE block all
    > foreign countries by default. then I'll go in and allow the few
    > international sites that I Do use.
    > Thanks very much.

    Well, that seems rather pointless, blocking all sites from a certain
    country is about as useful as avoiding eating all berries because some
    of them can be poisonous. Various anti-virus packages come with
    site-blocking software which are updated with the latest malware sites,
    and block them on a case-by-case basis.

    Or you can stop using IE, and use some of the more secure 3rd party web
    browsers like Firefox or Chrome.

    If you're still determined to block off entire countries, then you can
    get yourself one of those parental control software, like Netnanny, or
    Webroot Child Safe, and you can block off all domains with *.cc.

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Sep 28, 2010
  6. - Bobb -

    Rex Guest

    - Bobb - wrote:
    > I was doing a Google search and click on a link which redirected me to:
    > www .searching-for-virus53 co.cc
    > (I put a space in there so no one would accidentally click it.)
    > It's one of those " You have a virus" websites that pops up a fake desktop
    > with alerts ...
    > When I saw where I was going in IE, I hit STOP on ZoneAlarm and PC is fine.
    > SO, I then went into IE - security - restricted sites to try to add
    > "*//:*.co.cc" to the restricted area, but can't get the syntax right. My
    > input seems to be same as examples, but get error. Anyone good at the
    > correct syntax to block all sites from *.co.cc , or *.co.ru , etc ?
    > Also in this case I assume virus53.co.cc becomes virus 54, virus55 etc. I
    > tried ?? after "virus" but bad syntax too.
    > I will never need to go there on purpose so would like to have IE block all
    > foreign countries by default. then I'll go in and allow the few
    > international sites that I Do use.
    > Thanks very much.

    Firefox with Adblock Plus. You can create any kind of filter to block
    what you don't want. Or if you want to use IE only, then the 'Restricted
    sites zone' security setting lets you add wildcards.
    So you can put *.cc or whatever you want to block there, and change the
    custom settings to disallow anything from those sites
    (scripts/cookies/images/embedded content/whatever)

    -------------------------------------
    wrote:
    : But my real fear is that the quality of reporting may be equally
    : bad in other domains, like politics!

    It does take a perverse form of optimism to have any faith in the news
    media when almost every time they cover something you _know_ about,
    they get it wrong.

    Maybe they're wrong that often covering subjects in which I'm not an
    expert? Naw, it just couldn't be.

    -- Grant Edwards

    Rex, Sep 28, 2010