    the items I'd be looking at to get through, but block the floating junk.
    --
    Floating

    FoxWolfie Galen, Jul 3, 2006

  2. FoxWolfie Galen

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 03:43:36 -0400, in message <>,
    FoxWolfie Galen wrote:

    > How can I block floating ads, such as what appears on this eBay item page?
    >
    > http://cgi.ebay.com/POOH-BEAR-Denim...6QQihZ010QQcategoryZ11601QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

    The following worked on that page, here...

    Create a bookmarklet with the following 'Location' property
    javascript:{a=document.getElementById("point1");if(a){a.style.display="none";};n=top.frames.length;if(n){for(i=0;i<n;++i){a=top.frames.document.getElementById("point1");if(a){a.style.display="none";}}};void(0);}
    After that page loads, use this bookmarklet on that page.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    "Curiosity skilled the cat."

    Ralph Fox, Jul 3, 2006

  3. FoxWolfie Galen

    Ralph Fox, Jul 3, 2006
  4. On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 10:39:42 +0000, Ralph Fox <> wrote:

    > FoxWolfie Galen wrote:

    > > How can I block floating ads, such as what appears on this eBay item page?

    > http://cgi.ebay.com/POOH-BEAR-Denim...6QQihZ010QQcategoryZ11601QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

    > The following worked on that page, here...

    > Create a bookmarklet with the following 'Location' property
    > javascript:{a=document.getElementById("point1");if(a){a.style.display="none";};n=top.frames.length;if(n){for(i=0;i<n;++i){a=top.frames.document.getElementById("point1");if(a){a.style.display="none";}}};void(0);}
    > After that page loads, use this bookmarklet on that page.

    Thanks. It works perfectly.

    I looked at the source for the page and what you just sent. This is still
    something that I'm only on the edge of understanding. I figured out enough
    to know that the "point1" element was to blame, but had no idea how to turn
    it off.

    It would be really nice to come up with a single script that could stop all
    or most of these things, and have it run automatically. Usercontent.css
    comes to mind. Making the code generic enough to handle all the floater ads
    and stuff would be perfect, as long as it never blocked static content.
    Another thing I'd love to block for good are "mouse followers". I don't
    have an example of one at the moment, but they generally come in the form
    of moving shapes, letters or words that are magnetically attracted to the
    location of the mouse pointer. It the mouse is moved very fast, the
    individual letters of a word will be dispersed, only to be sucked back into
    order near the mouse pointer. I don't want a fireworks following my mouse.
    This kind of stuff might be ok on a 3ghz Pentium 4, but it's not very
    appreciated by the many people who are still running on a Pentium 2 or
    slower!

    The best solution of all would be for Firefox to add a couple new
    checkboxes to the advanced options under javascript. I'm sure this is
    easier wished for than done though. They could be something like:

    [ ] Allow scripts to follow the mouse
    [ ] Allow scripts to animate or move screen objects

    I'd leave both of those unchecked. I already have all of the current
    checkboxes unchecked.
    --
    FoxWolfie

    FoxWolfie Galen, Jul 3, 2006

    FoxWolfie Galen, Jul 3, 2006
  6. FoxWolfie Galen

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 08:08:15 +0100, in message <>,
    Zygon Curry wrote:

    > On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 10:39:42 +0000, Ralph Fox <> wrote:
    >
    > > Create a bookmarklet with the following 'Location' property
    > > javascript:{a=document.getElementById("point1");if(a){a.style.display="none";};n=top.frames.length;if(n){for(i=0;i<n;++i){a=top.frames.document.getElementById("point1");if(a){a.style.display="none";}}};void(0);}
    > > After that page loads, use this bookmarklet on that page.

    > Can you explain in a bit more detail. You lost me at Bookmarklet.
    > Thanks :)

    A bookmarklet is bookmark which contains a small javascript
    program instead of a link to a web page. Clicking on the
    bookmark runs the small javascript program.

    Bookmarklets exist for many things, such as changing the
    appearance of the web page which you are viewing.

    Further reading

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bookmarklet
    http://www.bookmarklets.com/about/

    There are many free bookmarklets available on the web.
    Some bookmarklet sites

    http://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/
    http://www.bookmarklets.com/tools/categor.html
    http://www.yourhtmlsource.com/accessibility/bookmarklets.html#LETSSEETHEM

    [BTW, your message is missing the references header and does not thread properly.]

    --
    Cheers
    Ralph Fox

    Ralph Fox, Jul 10, 2006
  7. FoxWolfie Galen

    Ralph Fox, Jul 10, 2006
  8. FoxWolfie Galen

    Splibbilla Guest

    FoxWolfie Galen <> in

    > On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 10:39:42 +0000, Ralph Fox <> wrote:

    snip

    tryout the standard grypen set proxomitron at castlecops.
    and get the hosts file from mvps

    a whole lot of these annoyances will just disappear or never show up.

    --
    Bloat Happens

    Splibbilla, Jul 11, 2006
  9. FoxWolfie Galen

    Splibbilla Guest

    FoxWolfie Galen <> in

    Splibbilla, Jul 11, 2006
  10. FoxWolfie Galen

    Zygon Curry Guest

    On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 09:52:24 +0000, Ralph Fox <> wrote:

    >A bookmarklet is bookmark which contains a small javascript
    >program instead of a link to a web page. Clicking on the
    >bookmark runs the small javascript program.
    >
    >Bookmarklets exist for many things, such as changing the
    >appearance of the web page which you are viewing.
    >

    >Further reading
    >
    > • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bookmarklet
    > • http://www.bookmarklets.com/about/
    >
    >There are many free bookmarklets available on the web.
    >Some bookmarklet sites
    >
    > • http://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/
    > • http://www.bookmarklets.com/tools/categor.html
    > • http://www.yourhtmlsource.com/accessibility/bookmarklets.html#LETSSEETHEM

    Thanks to both of you for the help and explainations.

    >[BTW, your message is missing the references header and does not thread properly.]

    There were problems posting original message. I suspect that may have
    had something to do with it.

    Zygon Curry, Jul 11, 2006
  11. FoxWolfie Galen

    Zygon Curry, Jul 11, 2006
  12. FoxWolfie Galen

    Big Daddy Tech Monster

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2013
    Messages:
    1
    Block Floater Adds Permanantly

    Flash Block

    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/flashblock/

    Will block these forms of flash windows from opening automatically, and will give you option to close the window as well.

    Hope this helps, it helped me.

    Although so people have spyware which acts like this but on all site, you have to remove malicious software before you see results.

    :bored:

    Big Daddy Tech Monster, Apr 30, 2013