    I want to block lots of unwanted spam mail, is there a quick way to do this
    or do I have to painstakingly block them one at a time?

    Joe

    Joe, May 15, 2007

  2. Joe

    whosbest54 Guest

    In article <AOi2i.5797$>,
    says...

    >Using Outlook Express, XP home....
    >
    >I want to block lots of unwanted spam mail, is there a quick way to do this
    >or do I have to painstakingly block them one at a time?

    Install or setup a spam filter

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=spam filter oe6&btnG=Google Search

    whosbest54

    http://www.geocities.com/whosbest54/

    http://www.geocities.com/whosbest54/rmb.html

    whosbest54, May 15, 2007

  3. Joe wrote:

    > Using Outlook Express, XP home....
    >
    > I want to block lots of unwanted spam mail, is there a quick way to
    > do this or do I have to painstakingly block them one at a time?

    If you are "blocking senders" with rules, that is pointless. Spammers
    never use their own addresses, almost always use the address of one of
    their victims, and never use the same one twice. All you will end up
    with is a huge list of addresses that will slow down your processing and
    do no good.

    Get a better email client that has spam filtering built in. Try
    Thunderbird.

    http://k75s.home.att.net/tips.html#email

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 15, 2007
  4. Joe

    Mike Easter Guest

    Joe wrote:
    > Using Outlook Express, XP home....
    >
    > I want to block lots of unwanted spam mail, is there a quick way to
    > do this or do I have to painstakingly block them one at a time?

    OE's message rules are extremely weak, but you can make a simple rule if
    your spam has been previously identified by SpamPal.

    SpamPal^1 is a powerful spam identifier and it will tag all of your spam
    so that OE can simply put the Junk into its own folder in anticipation
    of deleting it. Good spamrules don't tag any goodmail and tag nearly
    all of the spam.

    It is far better to not autodelete the spam identified because good
    rulemaking requires monitoring of its results. If you autodelete mail,
    you don't know what has been deleted, and you can't tune your rules.

    The term 'block' which you used is not a useful word in this context,
    since you won't be blocking the spam from being transmitted to your
    provider, and it is generally best to not be blocking the spam from
    being transmitted from your provider's mailbox to your OE's Inbox, but
    you /do/ want to 'block' the appearance of the spam from your gaze in
    your Inbox. So what you do is to divert the spam from the Inbox to the
    Junk folder.

    Very few people can save online time by using tools to help them delete
    the spam from their providers's server instead of downloading it. The
    fastest way to handle spam is to hookup with your provider's server and
    say "Give me all of the mail now." and then the mail passes rapidly
    thru' software filters which filter identifies the spam from its
    'inside' and tags it for sorting. A powerful spamfilter combing the
    interior of a spam for clues is much faster than human eyeballs looking
    at the exterior of a spam to avoid downloading it.

    ^1 free, works with OE, multilingual, excellent support,
    http://www.spampal.org/

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, May 15, 2007
  5. Joe

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 15 May 2007 13:44:00 GMT, Joe wrote:

    >Using Outlook Express, XP home....
    >
    >I want to block lots of unwanted spam mail, is there a quick way to do this
    >or do I have to painstakingly block them one at a time?

    Block where?

    Getting to your ISP mail account or downloading from your BY mailbox to
    your PC?

    Since it's too late for either as you posted uning an unmunged email
    address to a public newsgroup where any spammer can now use it.

    Old but still worth a read

    http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm

    Then, well you may not know this BY users FAQ
    http://www.by-users.co.uk/faqs/newsmailreaders/oe/
    You now enter an email address, However it is best to MUNGE it to
    prevent SPAM robots

    To Munge you corrupt your address AFTER The @ sign ie:-
    a human would know to remove the spam to
    reply, a robot would not therefore saving you the heartache of spam
    messages

    This seems a bit odd your ISP has pages of tips about avoiding spam
    http://www.virginmedia.com/digital/security/spam/index.php
    there is even a bit about options for Webmail setting to set an
    http://www.virginmedia.com/digital/security/spam/spamfiltering.php
    allowed list of email addresses, a list to mark as spam.

    If you build up a list of messages marked with [SPAM] in your BY mailbox
    these can be deleted automatically, but as valid email is sometimes
    marked incorrectly set a rule in OE.

    The subject line starts with [SPAM] , then move all those messages
    automatically to a SPAM folder, you can then review the contents and
    delete everything you don't want.

    >Joe

    Me

    why?, May 15, 2007
  6. "Joe" <> wrote in

    > Using Outlook Express, XP home....
    >
    > I want to block lots of unwanted spam mail, is there
    > a quick way to do this or do I have to painstakingly
    > block them one at a time?
    >
    > Joe

    http://www.mailwasher.net/

    You might want to give the Pro version a free trial.

    PS: You can "Bounce" the spam back, but beware, because
    people who spam for a living get really screeching
    mad and go on rants about Global Warming and crap
    like that... besides you don't *have* to bounce the
    spams if you don't want to - you can just delete it
    and add the common ones to your black list and quietly
    delete the culprits before they get into OE... like
    if you're the sissy, limp-wristed, apologetic type.

    Me, I like to bounce the crap out of them!!! Whoo Whee!

    --

    As the light changed from red to green,
    green to yellow, and then back to red again... and again...

    Is it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling?

    Sometimes it certainly seems that way!

    Bucky Breeder, May 15, 2007
  7. Joe

    Mike Easter Guest

    Bucky Breeder wrote:

    > http://www.mailwasher.net/

    > Me, I like to bounce the crap out of them!!!

    Emailing your misdirected bogus 'bounces' to innocent forged spam Froms
    is both abusive to the recipients who didn't send the spam and 'dumb'
    [misgudied]. Doing so can potentially jeopardize your email account
    with your provider when your mail provider gets complaints about your
    misdirected newmails [which are not spam transaction rejection server
    'bounces'] and also for your forging the provider's role account
    address.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, May 15, 2007
  8. Bucky Breeder wrote:

    > "Bounce" the spam back, but beware, ...
    > Me, I like to bounce the crap out of them!!! Whoo Whee!

    Even in jest, you shouldn't say this. Someone might read it and really
    do it.

    For the OP: spammers never use their own email address, and the only
    people who will see the bounces will be the innocent victims whose
    addresses the spammers have forged in the FROM field.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 15, 2007
  9. Joe

    Paul B Guest

    On Tue, 15 May 2007 13:44:00 GMT, Joe wrote:

    > Using Outlook Express, XP home....
    >
    > I want to block lots of unwanted spam mail, is there a quick way to do this
    > or do I have to painstakingly block them one at a time?
    >
    > Joe

    Thanks to a tip in a verizon group, I've been passing all my mail
    through either a gmail or yahoo account. Their spam catchers are
    excellent. Most of it I never see. I purge the spam folders on
    the Web daily.

    p.

    Paul B, May 16, 2007
  10. Re: blocking emails <<= Return to sender *B O U N C E*

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in news:464a1987$0$97228$892e7fe2
    @authen.yellow.readfreenews.net:

    --

    "The anti-gay marriage amendment:
    The president endorsed it.

    Bucky Breeder, May 16, 2007
  11. Re: blocking emails <<= Return to sender *B O U N C E*

    Bucky Breeder, May 16, 2007
  12. Re: blocking emails <<= Return to sender *B O U N C E*

    Bucky Breeder, May 16, 2007
  13. Joe

    Plato Guest

    Joe wrote:

    > I want to block lots of unwanted spam mail, is there a quick way to do this
    > or do I have to painstakingly block them one at a time?

    Use a disposable email address for anything you enter on websites or on
    paper.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, May 17, 2007
  14. Joe

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Plato wrote:
    > Joe wrote:
    >> I want to block lots of unwanted spam mail, is there a quick way to do this
    >> or do I have to painstakingly block them one at a time?

    > Use a disposable email address for anything you enter on websites or on
    > paper.

    gmail.com

    blocks pretty damn well!

    Rick Merrill, May 17, 2007
  15. Joe

    Plato Guest

    Rick Merrill wrote:

    > Plato wrote:
    > > Joe wrote:
    > >> I want to block lots of unwanted spam mail, is there a quick way to do this
    > >> or do I have to painstakingly block them one at a time?

    > > Use a disposable email address for anything you enter on websites or on
    > > paper.
    > >

    > gmail.com
    >
    > blocks pretty damn well!

    Yeah I agree you dont even have to set anything as far as I recall.

    Plato, May 18, 2007
  16. Joe

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "Joe" <> wrote in message
    > Using Outlook Express, XP home....
    >
    > I want to block lots of unwanted spam mail, is there a quick way to do
    > this or do I have to painstakingly block them one at a time?

    I use a spam filter like the free Mailwasher. You can set-up OE to not
    receive emails until you have filtered them with something like MW. I even
    use MW with Vista's Windows Mail.

    Mr. Arnold, May 18, 2007