    I have AdAware running and it is constantly popping up that it is finding
    Tracking Co etc,. "Any ideas?...Ad Aware, SpyBot and Webroot aren't doing
    it? and my avg doesent block it?

    miss calm, Feb 24, 2004

  2. miss calm

    Robin T Cox Guest

    "miss calm" <> wrote in
    news:c1fme5$bo7$:

    > I know what tracking co. does, and what data miners do. But how do do
    > they get onto my computer and how do you permanently block them or
    > remove their roots?
    > I have AdAware running and it is constantly popping up that it is
    > finding Tracking Co etc,. "Any ideas?...Ad Aware, SpyBot and Webroot
    > aren't doing it? and my avg doesent block it?

    Windows systems are most commonly infected by means of so-called 'drive-by
    downloads', which are explained here:
    http://news.com.com/2100-1023-877568.html?tag=nl

    To block this kind of tactic, you *must* use a battery of measures, and not
    just hope that one or two programs will do the trick. By far and away the
    most comprehensive and simple approach is given here:
    http://www.geocities.com/yosponge/

    Robin T Cox, Feb 24, 2004

  3. miss calm

    Chuckles Guest

    Robin T Cox wrote:

    > "miss calm" <> wrote in
    >

    >>I know what tracking co. does, and what data miners do. But how do do
    >>they get onto my computer and how do you permanently block them or
    >>remove their roots?
    >>I have AdAware running and it is constantly popping up that it is
    >>finding Tracking Co etc,. "Any ideas?...Ad Aware, SpyBot and Webroot
    >>aren't doing it? and my avg doesent block it?
    >>

    > Windows systems are most commonly infected by means of so-called 'drive-by
    > downloads', which are explained here:
    > http://news.com.com/2100-1023-877568.html?tag=nl
    >
    > To block this kind of tactic, you *must* use a battery of measures, and not
    > just hope that one or two programs will do the trick. By far and away the
    > most comprehensive and simple approach is given here:
    > http://www.geocities.com/yosponge/

    Refuse all cookies. This will take care of your problem.

    Chuckles, Feb 24, 2004
  4. miss calm

    miss calm Guest

    "Robin T Cox" <> wrote in message
    > "miss calm" <> wrote in
    >
    > > I know what tracking co. does, and what data miners do. But how do do
    > > they get onto my computer and how do you permanently block them or
    > > remove their roots?
    > > I have AdAware running and it is constantly popping up that it is
    > > finding Tracking Co etc,. "Any ideas?...Ad Aware, SpyBot and Webroot
    > > aren't doing it? and my avg doesent block it?
    > >

    > Windows systems are most commonly infected by means of so-called 'drive-by
    > downloads', which are explained here:
    > http://news.com.com/2100-1023-877568.html?tag=nl
    >
    > To block this kind of tactic, you *must* use a battery of measures, and

    not
    > just hope that one or two programs will do the trick. By far and away the
    > most comprehensive and simple approach is given here:
    > http://www.geocities.com/yosponge/

    thanks Robin. I have noted all that.
    miss calm :)

    miss calm, Feb 24, 2004
  5. miss calm

    miss calm Guest

    "Chuckles" <> wrote in message
    > Robin T Cox wrote:
    >
    > > "miss calm" <> wrote in
    > >

    > >>I know what tracking co. does, and what data miners do. But how do do
    > >>they get onto my computer and how do you permanently block them or
    > >>remove their roots?
    > >>I have AdAware running and it is constantly popping up that it is
    > >>finding Tracking Co etc,. "Any ideas?...Ad Aware, SpyBot and Webroot
    > >>aren't doing it? and my avg doesent block it?
    > >>

    > > Windows systems are most commonly infected by means of so-called

    'drive-by
    > > downloads', which are explained here:
    > > http://news.com.com/2100-1023-877568.html?tag=nl
    > >
    > > To block this kind of tactic, you *must* use a battery of measures, and

    not
    > > just hope that one or two programs will do the trick. By far and away

    the
    > > most comprehensive and simple approach is given here:
    > > http://www.geocities.com/yosponge/
    > >

    > Refuse all cookies. This will take care of your problem.

    that sounds great Chuckles. But what would be the outcome in terms of my
    Internet? Would it affect any programmes or access to sites?

    miss calm, Feb 24, 2004
  6. miss calm

    Leythos Guest

    In article <c1g8pc$8vf$>,
    says...
    [snip]
    > > Refuse all cookies. This will take care of your problem.

    > that sounds great Chuckles. But what would be the outcome in terms of my
    > Internet? Would it affect any programmes or access to sites?

    There are a couple simple things that you can do if you are using IE,
    they make browsing a little more of a challenge, but they make it more
    secure and still provide full ability on sites you trust:

    1) Open IE, select TOOLS, Internet Options
    2) Select Security TAB
    3) Select "Internet" globe
    4) Click DEFAULT LEVEL, then SELECT HIGH
    5) Select "Custom Level"
    6) Select "Scripting - Active Scripting - Prompt"
    7) Click OK
    8) Select "Trusted Sites Check Mark Circle"
    9) Select "SITES", uncheck "Require Server Verification" - you will be
    adding the normal and secure sites in here that you trust, if you don't
    uncheck this you can't enter non-secure sites in this list.
    10) Type "http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com" in the ADD box and
    click ADD
    11) Type "http://Windowsupdate.microsoft.com" in the ADD box and click
    ADD, click OK to close window
    12) Click "Default Level" then change to "Medium".
    13) Select "Privacy" tab, set to MEDIUM HIGH
    14) Select "General" tab, select "Temporary Internet Files - Settings"
    15) Select "Every visit to the page"
    16) Select 20MB for the temp internet files size, click OK
    17) Select "Advanced" Tab
    18) Uncheck both "Enable Install On Demand" items
    19) Uncheck "Enable third-party browser extensions"
    20) Uncheck "Play Animations, sounds, videos in web pages"
    21) Select/Check "Empty Temporary Internet file folder..."
    22) Click OK to close the settings window

    Now, when you browse to a trusted site, it's not going to work, you are
    going to have to ADD the site to the TRUSTED SITES in the OPTIONS /
    SECURITY tab. This can be a real pain, but it can save your butt when it
    comes to sites that can compromise your system.

    You will find that after the first week that you are not adding sites to
    the list any more and that you're experience is a lot nicer, less pop-
    ups, and less chance for something to hack your browser.

    Don't forget, you should only ADD TRUSTED SITES to the list. Even if you
    make a mistake, we set the TRUSTED SITES to MEDIUM in stead of it's
    default LOW, but you really want to limit the ones you add to verifiable
    commercial quality sites.

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    Leythos, Feb 24, 2004
  7. miss calm

    miss calm Guest

    "Leythos" <> wrote in message
    > In article <c1g8pc$8vf$>,
    > says...
    > [snip]
    > > > Refuse all cookies. This will take care of your problem.

    > > that sounds great Chuckles. But what would be the outcome in terms of my
    > > Internet? Would it affect any programmes or access to sites?

    > There are a couple simple things that you can do if you are using IE,
    > they make browsing a little more of a challenge, but they make it more
    > secure and still provide full ability on sites you trust:
    >
    > 1) Open IE, select TOOLS, Internet Options
    > 2) Select Security TAB
    > 3) Select "Internet" globe
    > 4) Click DEFAULT LEVEL, then SELECT HIGH
    > 5) Select "Custom Level"
    > 6) Select "Scripting - Active Scripting - Prompt"
    > 7) Click OK
    > 8) Select "Trusted Sites Check Mark Circle"
    > 9) Select "SITES", uncheck "Require Server Verification" - you will be
    > adding the normal and secure sites in here that you trust, if you don't
    > uncheck this you can't enter non-secure sites in this list.
    > 10) Type "http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com" in the ADD box and
    > click ADD
    > 11) Type "http://Windowsupdate.microsoft.com" in the ADD box and click
    > ADD, click OK to close window
    > 12) Click "Default Level" then change to "Medium".
    > 13) Select "Privacy" tab, set to MEDIUM HIGH
    > 14) Select "General" tab, select "Temporary Internet Files - Settings"
    > 15) Select "Every visit to the page"
    > 16) Select 20MB for the temp internet files size, click OK
    > 17) Select "Advanced" Tab
    > 18) Uncheck both "Enable Install On Demand" items
    > 19) Uncheck "Enable third-party browser extensions"
    > 20) Uncheck "Play Animations, sounds, videos in web pages"
    > 21) Select/Check "Empty Temporary Internet file folder..."
    > 22) Click OK to close the settings window
    >
    > Now, when you browse to a trusted site, it's not going to work, you are
    > going to have to ADD the site to the TRUSTED SITES in the OPTIONS /
    > SECURITY tab. This can be a real pain, but it can save your butt when it
    > comes to sites that can compromise your system.
    >
    > You will find that after the first week that you are not adding sites to
    > the list any more and that you're experience is a lot nicer, less pop-
    > ups, and less chance for something to hack your browser.
    >
    > Don't forget, you should only ADD TRUSTED SITES to the list. Even if you
    > make a mistake, we set the TRUSTED SITES to MEDIUM in stead of it's
    > default LOW, but you really want to limit the ones you add to verifiable
    > commercial quality sites.

    Gosh, thank you very much Leythos, I'll do that.
    miss calm. :)

    miss calm, Feb 24, 2004
  8. miss calm

    miss calm Guest

    btw I just heard about this cookie control software: Cookie Pal.
    http://www.kburra.com/cpal.html

    miss calm, Feb 24, 2004
  9. miss calm

    Doug Fox Guest

    Chuckles;

    Some sites deny access if cookies are blocked. How can one overcome this
    issue? Any pointers are appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Doug Fox, Feb 25, 2004
  10. miss calm

    Patric Guest

    "Doug Fox" <> wrote in message
    > Chuckles;
    >
    > Some sites deny access if cookies are blocked. How can one overcome

    this
    > issue? Any pointers are appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,

    Accept the cookies and then delete them, or just don't visit the site.
    Personally I keep my computer's power cord unplugged. Then I have no
    issues with cookies. :)

    PJ

    Patric, Feb 25, 2004
  11. Doug Fox spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in
    <cwU_b.21$>

    > Chuckles;
    >
    > Some sites deny access if cookies are blocked. How can one overcome this
    > issue? Any pointers are appreciated.

    If you use IE6, just go into the cookie manager after getting the usual
    (doubleclick/etc) and block that one. Do that occasionally before running
    ad aware and spybot. After a while you will have a good number of them
    blocked. :)

    NOI

    Thund3rstruck_N0i, Feb 25, 2004
  12. miss calm

    Robin T Cox Guest

    "miss calm" <> wrote in

    > thanks Robin. I have noted all that.
    > miss calm :)

    You're very welcome. BTW, just taking care of cookies or IE security
    settings will not take care of it.

    Good Luck,

    Robin :)

    Robin T Cox, Feb 25, 2004