BLOCKING AN EMAIL ADDRESS

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Pastor Dave, Oct 15, 2005.

  1. Pastor Dave

    Pastor Dave Guest

    Hi,

    I have Thunderbird 1.06.

    Can anyone tell me how to block a specific email
    address? I saw the filters, but I don't know exactly
    what to do to create a proper filter for this and
    when I searched the help, I came up empty.

    Thanks!

    --

    Pastor Dave
    1st Century Church of Christ

    "Be strong all people of the land. Do not fear."
    "If you will not believe, surely you will not be
    established." - Jehovah

    Pastor Dave, Oct 15, 2005

  2. Pastor Dave

    gwtc Guest

    Pastor Dave wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have Thunderbird 1.06.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me how to block a specific email
    > address? I saw the filters, but I don't know exactly
    > what to do to create a proper filter for this and
    > when I searched the help, I came up empty.
    >
    > Thanks!

    There's not much to creating a filter. On the email address you don't
    want, do a right click and select "Create filter from message." When
    it comes up, select the settings you want down below. You can have
    the messages deleted, removed from server, mark it as read, or
    whatever you want. When you've set it, click on OK. If there are any
    in the inbox, you can then run the filter.

    gwtc, Oct 16, 2005

  3. Pastor Dave

    Pastor Dave Guest

    On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 16:12:57 -0700, gwtc
    <> spake
    thusly:

    >Pastor Dave wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have Thunderbird 1.06.
    >>
    >> Can anyone tell me how to block a specific email
    >> address? I saw the filters, but I don't know exactly
    >> what to do to create a proper filter for this and
    >> when I searched the help, I came up empty.
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>

    >There's not much to creating a filter. On the email address you don't
    >want, do a right click and select "Create filter from message." When
    >it comes up, select the settings you want down below. You can have
    >the messages deleted, removed from server, mark it as read, or
    >whatever you want. When you've set it, click on OK. If there are any
    >in the inbox, you can then run the filter.

    I don't have any such entry on the right click menu.

    I tried it on one of the received messages from this
    person and on their entry in my address book.

    Pastor Dave, Oct 16, 2005
  4. Pastor Dave

    gwtc Guest

    Pastor Dave wrote:

    > On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 16:12:57 -0700, gwtc
    > <> spake
    > thusly:
    >

    >>Pastor Dave wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>I have Thunderbird 1.06.
    >>>
    >>>Can anyone tell me how to block a specific email
    >>>address? I saw the filters, but I don't know exactly
    >>>what to do to create a proper filter for this and
    >>>when I searched the help, I came up empty.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks!
    >>>

    >>There's not much to creating a filter. On the email address you don't
    >>want, do a right click and select "Create filter from message." When
    >>it comes up, select the settings you want down below. You can have
    >>the messages deleted, removed from server, mark it as read, or
    >>whatever you want. When you've set it, click on OK. If there are any
    >>in the inbox, you can then run the filter.

    > I don't have any such entry on the right click menu.
    >
    > I tried it on one of the received messages from this
    > person and on their entry in my address book.

    Then what do you have on the right click? Well, whatever then, then
    just copy the email address, select Filters, and create one.

    gwtc, Oct 16, 2005
  5. Pastor Dave

    vernon Guest

    Pastor Dave wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have Thunderbird 1.06.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me how to block a specific email
    > address? I saw the filters, but I don't know exactly
    > what to do to create a proper filter for this and
    > when I searched the help, I came up empty.
    >
    > Thanks!

    with the message highlighted, Go to the top of the page (toolbar), click
    on Messages, go to create filter from message.

    vernon, Oct 16, 2005
  6. Pastor Dave

    Pastor Dave Guest

    On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 16:37:26 -0700, gwtc
    <> spake
    thusly:

    >Pastor Dave wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 16:12:57 -0700, gwtc
    >> <> spake
    >> thusly:

    >>>There's not much to creating a filter. On the email address you don't
    >>>want, do a right click and select "Create filter from message." When
    >>>it comes up, select the settings you want down below. You can have
    >>>the messages deleted, removed from server, mark it as read, or
    >>>whatever you want. When you've set it, click on OK. If there are any
    >>>in the inbox, you can then run the filter.

    >> I don't have any such entry on the right click menu.
    >>
    >> I tried it on one of the received messages from this
    >> person and on their entry in my address book.
    >>

    >Then what do you have on the right click? Well, whatever then, then
    >just copy the email address, select Filters, and create one.

    So in other words, copy the email address into a newly
    created filter, as the title of the filter and that's
    it? Is there also a way to have the server bounce a
    message back to the sender, so that they know that
    their messages are being bounced?

    Pastor Dave, Oct 17, 2005
  7. Pastor Dave

    vernon Guest

    Pastor Dave wrote:
    > On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 16:37:26 -0700, gwtc
    > <> spake
    > thusly:
    >

    >>Pastor Dave wrote:
    >>

    >>>On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 16:12:57 -0700, gwtc
    >>><> spake
    >>>thusly:

    >>>I don't have any such entry on the right click menu.
    >>>
    >>>I tried it on one of the received messages from this
    >>>person and on their entry in my address book.
    >>>

    >>Then what do you have on the right click? Well, whatever then, then
    >>just copy the email address, select Filters, and create one.

    > So in other words, copy the email address into a newly
    > created filter, as the title of the filter and that's
    > it? Is there also a way to have the server bounce a
    > message back to the sender, so that they know that
    > their messages are being bounced?

    The program is called Mailwasher.

    vernon, Oct 17, 2005
  8. Pastor Dave

    Liora Guest

    Pastor Dave wrote:

    > So in other words, copy the email address into a newly
    > created filter, as the title of the filter and that's
    > it? Is there also a way to have the server bounce a
    > message back to the sender, so that they know that
    > their messages are being bounced?

    As vernon said, Mailwasher. The free version works great with
    Thunderbird. Would love it if Tbird included something like this,
    though. I don't really like the two-program method, but the ability to
    bounce makes it worth it.

    Liora

    Liora, Oct 19, 2005
  9. Pastor Dave

    vernon Guest

    Liora wrote:
    > Pastor Dave wrote:
    >
    >> So in other words, copy the email address into a newly
    >> created filter, as the title of the filter and that's
    >> it? Is there also a way to have the server bounce a
    >> message back to the sender, so that they know that
    >> their messages are being bounced?
    >>

    > As vernon said, Mailwasher. The free version works great with
    > Thunderbird. Would love it if Tbird included something like this,
    > though. I don't really like the two-program method, but the ability to
    > bounce makes it worth it.
    >
    > Liora

    Yes, I keep wishing there was an all in one.
    The other advantage of Mailwasher is the text only load so there is no
    easy way to get any viruses. Loads are quick, because no graphic is
    loaded. E-mails can be viewed without downloading them.

    vernon, Oct 19, 2005
  10. Pastor Dave

    dillinger Guest

    Pastor Dave wrote:
    > On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 16:37:26 -0700, gwtc
    > <> spake
    > thusly:
    >

    >>Pastor Dave wrote:
    >>

    >>>On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 16:12:57 -0700, gwtc
    >>><> spake
    >>>thusly:

    >>>I don't have any such entry on the right click menu.
    >>>
    >>>I tried it on one of the received messages from this
    >>>person and on their entry in my address book.
    >>>

    >>Then what do you have on the right click? Well, whatever then, then
    >>just copy the email address, select Filters, and create one.

    > So in other words, copy the email address into a newly
    > created filter, as the title of the filter and that's
    > it? Is there also a way to have the server bounce a
    > message back to the sender, so that they know that
    > their messages are being bounced?

    Bouncing spam and/or viruses is probably amongst the most stupid things
    you can do.

    Please check:
    http://www.city-fan.org/mailwasher-bounce-bad.html
    http://www.georgedillon.com/web/2_bounce_or_not_2_bounce.shtml
    http://castlecops.com/postitle102044-0-0-.html
    http://spamlinks.net/prevent-secure-backscatter-fake.htm
    etc.
    Google is your friend.

    Michel.

    dillinger, Oct 20, 2005
  11. Pastor Dave

    vernon Guest

    dillinger wrote:
    > Pastor Dave wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 16:37:26 -0700, gwtc
    >> <> spake
    >> thusly:

    >>> Then what do you have on the right click? Well, whatever then, then
    >>> just copy the email address, select Filters, and create one.

    >> So in other words, copy the email address into a newly
    >> created filter, as the title of the filter and that's
    >> it? Is there also a way to have the server bounce a
    >> message back to the sender, so that they know that
    >> their messages are being bounced?
    >>

    > Bouncing spam and/or viruses is probably amongst the most stupid things
    > you can do.

    Unless you have a service that bounces / rejects look like it is from a
    server.

    vernon, Oct 20, 2005
  12. Pastor Dave

    dillinger Guest

    vernon wrote:
    > dillinger wrote:
    >

    >> Bouncing spam and/or viruses is probably amongst the most stupid
    >> things you can do.

    > Unless you have a service that bounces / rejects look like it is from a
    > server.

    from: http://spamlinks.net/prevent-secure-backscatter-fake.htm#harmful

    "Since the “from” address is easily forged, if you send fake bounces you
    are likely to contribute to a mailbombing against an innocent victim.
    Spammers don't pay any attention to bounces, real or not, and spammers
    don't remove addresses from their mailing lists. Fake bounces may also
    forge the sender as the ISP's postmaster, which is likely to be
    forbidden by your ISP. Bouncing is part of the problem, not part of the
    solution."

    If you read the rest of this page and click some of the links that are
    there you'll find out why it is such a bad idea.

    To sum it up:
    -You'll probably hit some innocent person.
    -If you hit a real spammer, he doesn't care, you'll only confirm your
    email address.
    -It's illegal.
    -It consumes loads of bandwidth.
    -You and/or your ISP may end up on a blacklist.

    Michel.

    dillinger, Oct 21, 2005