    Can anyone tell me what the outcome would be if I blocked all cookies from
    my pc?
    thanks :)

    miss calm, Feb 24, 2004

  2. miss calm

    °Mike° Guest

    At the very worst, some web sites might cease to function.
    Generally, you might lose some functionality, like preferences
    on Google, etc.

    On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 19:48:06 -0000, in
    <c1g9np$ki9$>
    miss calm scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Feb 24, 2004

  3. miss calm

    miss calm Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > At the very worst, some web sites might cease to function.
    > Generally, you might lose some functionality, like preferences
    > on Google, etc.

    Thanks Mike, :).

    miss calm, Feb 24, 2004
  4. miss calm

    trout Guest

    miss calm wrote:

    > Can anyone tell me what the outcome would be if I blocked all cookies
    > from my pc?
    > thanks :)

    You need them for site where you have to log-in.
    --
    "Like Hotmail, or Yahoo, for example."

    trout, Feb 24, 2004
  5. miss calm

    miss calm Guest

    "trout" <> wrote in message
    > miss calm wrote:
    >
    > > Can anyone tell me what the outcome would be if I blocked all cookies
    > > from my pc?
    > > thanks :)

    > You need them for site where you have to log-in.
    > --
    > "Like Hotmail, or Yahoo, for example."

    Good point Trout, thanks. Pity one cannot have the choice to allow or
    dissalow particular cookies.

    miss calm, Feb 24, 2004
  6. miss calm

    °Mike° Guest

    On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 20:17:44 -0000, in
    <c1gbfb$g4d$>
    miss calm scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> At the very worst, some web sites might cease to function.
    >> Generally, you might lose some functionality, like preferences
    >> on Google, etc.
    >>

    >Thanks Mike, :).

    You're welcome.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Feb 24, 2004
  7. miss calm

    °Mike° Guest

    On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 20:51:50 -0000, in
    <c1gdfb$ndg$>
    miss calm scrawled:

    >"trout" <> wrote in message
    >> miss calm wrote:
    >>
    >> > Can anyone tell me what the outcome would be if I blocked all cookies
    >> > from my pc?
    >> > thanks :)

    >> You need them for site where you have to log-in.
    >> --
    >> "Like Hotmail, or Yahoo, for example."

    >Good point Trout, thanks. Pity one cannot have the choice to allow or
    >dissalow particular cookies.

    You can. Try CookiePal. I use it, and wouldn't be without it.
    http://www.kburra.com/cpal.html

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Feb 24, 2004
  8. miss calm

    trout Guest

    miss calm wrote:

    > "trout" <> wrote in message
    >> miss calm wrote:
    >>
    >>> Can anyone tell me what the outcome would be if I blocked all
    >>> cookies from my pc?
    >>> thanks :)

    >> You need them for site where you have to log-in.
    >> --
    >> "Like Hotmail, or Yahoo, for example."

    > Good point Trout, thanks. Pity one cannot have the choice to allow or
    > dissalow particular cookies.

    You can. Either by using a cookie program, like the one Mike
    mentioned, or just in OE (assuming that's what you're using).
    In Internet Options, Privacy tab; you can click the Edit button and
    add sites that you want to always allow (or disallow).
    It *can* be tricky, though, as some sites want you to allow 'sister'
    cookies. Hotmail, for example, can bugger-up if any of Hotmail, MSN or
    Passport cookies are blocked.
    Just for a variety of comparison; I use the free version of
    WinPatrol to handle cookies, among other things:
    http://www.winpatrol.com/winpatrolplus.html
    --
    "Whatever suits you best."

    trout, Feb 24, 2004
  9. miss calm

    Trev Guest

    "miss calm" <> wrote in message

    > "trout" <> wrote in message
    > > miss calm wrote:
    > >
    > > > Can anyone tell me what the outcome would be if I blocked all

    cookies
    > > > from my pc?
    > > > thanks :)

    > > You need them for site where you have to log-in.
    > > --
    > > "Like Hotmail, or Yahoo, for example."

    > Good point Trout, thanks. Pity one cannot have the choice to allow or
    > dissalow particular cookies.

    Set your privacy in IE to Prompt. It will ask for each cookie offered

    Trev, Feb 24, 2004
  10. miss calm

    miss calm Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 20:51:50 -0000, in
    > <c1gdfb$ndg$>
    > miss calm scrawled:
    >

    > >"trout" <> wrote in message

    > >> You need them for site where you have to log-in.
    > >> --
    > >> "Like Hotmail, or Yahoo, for example."

    > >Good point Trout, thanks. Pity one cannot have the choice to allow or
    > >dissalow particular cookies.

    > You can. Try CookiePal. I use it, and wouldn't be without it.
    > http://www.kburra.com/cpal.html

    Downloading as we speak, thanks.
    btw picked this up, may interest you:

    There are a couple simple things that you can do if you are using IE,
    they make browsing a little more of a challenge, but they make it more
    secure and still provide full ability on sites you trust:

    1) Open IE, select TOOLS, Internet Options
    2) Select Security TAB
    3) Select "Internet" globe
    4) Click DEFAULT LEVEL, then SELECT HIGH
    5) Select "Custom Level"
    6) Select "Scripting - Active Scripting - Prompt"
    7) Click OK
    8) Select "Trusted Sites Check Mark Circle"
    9) Select "SITES", uncheck "Require Server Verification" - you will be
    adding the normal and secure sites in here that you trust, if you don't
    uncheck this you can't enter non-secure sites in this list.
    10) Type "http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com" in the ADD box and
    click ADD
    11) Type "http://Windowsupdate.microsoft.com" in the ADD box and click
    ADD, click OK to close window
    12) Click "Default Level" then change to "Medium".
    13) Select "Privacy" tab, set to MEDIUM HIGH
    14) Select "General" tab, select "Temporary Internet Files - Settings"
    15) Select "Every visit to the page"
    16) Select 20MB for the temp internet files size, click OK
    17) Select "Advanced" Tab
    18) Uncheck both "Enable Install On Demand" items
    19) Uncheck "Enable third-party browser extensions"
    20) Uncheck "Play Animations, sounds, videos in web pages"
    21) Select/Check "Empty Temporary Internet file folder..."
    22) Click OK to close the settings window

    Now, when you browse to a trusted site, it's not going to work, you are
    going to have to ADD the site to the TRUSTED SITES in the OPTIONS /
    SECURITY tab. This can be a real pain, but it can save your butt when it
    comes to sites that can compromise your system.

    You will find that after the first week that you are not adding sites to
    the list any more and that you're experience is a lot nicer, less pop-
    ups, and less chance for something to hack your browser.

    Don't forget, you should only ADD TRUSTED SITES to the list. Even if you
    make a mistake, we set the TRUSTED SITES to MEDIUM in stead of it's
    default LOW, but you really want to limit the ones you add to verifiable
    commercial quality sites.

    miss calm, Feb 24, 2004
  11. miss calm

    joevan Guest

    On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 19:48:06 -0000, "miss calm"
    <> wrote:

    >Can anyone tell me what the outcome would be if I blocked all cookies from
    >my pc?
    >thanks :)

    I have to have cookies enabled so that I can use the Car share here in
    Philadelphia.
    Car Share is a good thing. For every share car in a city it takes away
    30 gas guzzling cars. It is cool.
    joevan

    joevan, Feb 24, 2004
  12. miss calm

    °Mike° Guest

    On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 22:13:51 -0000, in
    <c1gi94$g6p$>
    miss calm scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 20:51:50 -0000, in
    >> <c1gdfb$ndg$>
    >> miss calm scrawled:
    >>

    >> >"trout" <> wrote in message

    >> >Good point Trout, thanks. Pity one cannot have the choice to allow or
    >> >dissalow particular cookies.

    >> You can. Try CookiePal. I use it, and wouldn't be without it.
    >> http://www.kburra.com/cpal.html

    >Downloading as we speak, thanks.

    You're welcome.

    >btw picked this up, may interest you:

    Thanks, but I have my security settings pretty well sewn up. :)

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Feb 24, 2004
  13. miss calm

    Fuzzy Logic Guest

    "miss calm" <> wrote in news:c1gdfb$ndg$1
    @newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk:

    > "trout" <> wrote in message
    >> miss calm wrote:
    >>
    >> > Can anyone tell me what the outcome would be if I blocked all cookies
    >> > from my pc?
    >> > thanks :)

    >> You need them for site where you have to log-in.
    >> --
    >> "Like Hotmail, or Yahoo, for example."

    > Good point Trout, thanks. Pity one cannot have the choice to allow or
    > dissalow particular cookies.

    CookieWall does this and it's free:

    http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/cookie.htm

    Fuzzy Logic, Feb 24, 2004
  14. miss calm

    Willard Guest

    °Mike° wrote:
    > <snip>
    >
    > Thanks, but I have my security settings pretty well sewn up. :)
    >
    > <snip>

    Mike,

    Where did you get the "Smileys" ??

    Willard

    Willard, Feb 25, 2004
  15. miss calm

    Willard Guest

    miss calm wrote:

    > Can anyone tell me what the outcome would be if I blocked all cookies from
    > my pc?
    > thanks :)

    Miss Calm,

    Where did you get the "Smiley" ??

    Willard

    Willard, Feb 25, 2004
  16. miss calm

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Willard said:

    > miss calm wrote:
    >
    >> Can anyone tell me what the outcome would be if I blocked all cookies from
    >> my pc?
    >> thanks :)
    >>

    > Miss Calm,
    >
    > Where did you get the "Smiley" ??
    >
    > Willard

    Are you using OE-QuoteFix?

    Brian H¹©, Feb 25, 2004
  17. miss calm

    °Mike° Guest

    On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 15:59:11 -0500, in
    <>
    Willard scrawled:

    >°Mike° wrote:
    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> Thanks, but I have my security settings pretty well sewn up. :)
    >>
    >> <snip>
    >>

    >Mike,
    >
    >Where did you get the "Smileys" ??

    You are using Mozilla. It adds smileys automatically when it
    reads certain emoticon characters. The one you see above
    is just a colon followed by a close parenthesis, like this : ) :)
    There are others, such as : ( :( ; ) ;) : - ) :)

    Go to 'View / Message Source'.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Feb 25, 2004
  18. miss calm

    Willard Guest

    Brian H¹© wrote:

    > Willard said:
    >

    >>miss calm wrote:
    >>

    >>>Can anyone tell me what the outcome would be if I blocked all cookies from
    >>>my pc?
    >>>thanks :)
    >>>

    >>Miss Calm,
    >>
    >>Where did you get the "Smiley" ??
    >>
    >>Willard

    > Are you using OE-QuoteFix?

    No, I'm using Mozilla 1.6
    Mike, at 4:15p answered my question..

    Willard :)

    Willard, Feb 25, 2004
  19. miss calm

    Willard Guest

    °Mike° wrote:

    > On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 15:59:11 -0500, in
    > <>
    > Willard scrawled:
    >

    >>°Mike° wrote:
    >>
    >>><snip>
    >>>
    >>>Thanks, but I have my security settings pretty well sewn up. :)
    >>>
    >>><snip>
    >>>

    >>Mike,
    >>
    >>Where did you get the "Smileys" ??

    > You are using Mozilla. It adds smileys automatically when it
    > reads certain emoticon characters. The one you see above
    > is just a colon followed by a close parenthesis, like this : ) :)
    > There are others, such as : ( :( ; ) ;) : - ) :)
    >
    > Go to 'View / Message Source'.

    Thank you Mike

    Willard :)

    Willard, Feb 25, 2004
  20. miss calm

    °Mike° Guest

    On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 18:49:19 -0500, in
    <>
    Willard scrawled:

    >°Mike° wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 15:59:11 -0500, in
    >> <>
    >> Willard scrawled:

    >>>Mike,
    >>>
    >>>Where did you get the "Smileys" ??

    >> You are using Mozilla. It adds smileys automatically when it
    >> reads certain emoticon characters. The one you see above
    >> is just a colon followed by a close parenthesis, like this : ) :)
    >> There are others, such as : ( :( ; ) ;) : - ) :)
    >>
    >> Go to 'View / Message Source'.
    >>

    >Thank you Mike
    >
    >Willard :)

    You're welcome.