    john sumner Guest

    I use OE and was wondering how i block a news group like AUK
    tired of seeing their crossposting BS.
    john sumner, Feb 28, 2007

  2. john sumner

    kraftee Guest

    john sumner wrote:
    > I use OE and was wondering how i block a news group like AUK
    > tired of seeing their crossposting BS.

    Don't subscribe to it, simple as that. As for cross posting there is
    little you can do about it, other than not do it yourself off course..
    kraftee, Feb 28, 2007

  3. john sumner

    john sumner Guest

    john sumner <> Thou woman's frock. What cracker is
    this same that deafs our ears with this abundance of superfluous breath.
    Thou buck-toothed miser. Thou witless wild heart. Ye castigated and ye
    yipped:

    > I use OE and was wondering how i block a news group like AUK
    > tired of seeing their crossposting BS.

    Real meaning: "WAHAAAAAA WAAAAAAH WAHHHH! MY PUSSY HURTS!!!"
    john sumner, Feb 28, 2007
  4. john sumner

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-02-28, john sumner <> wrote:
    > I use OE and was wondering how i block a news group like AUK
    > tired of seeing their crossposting BS.

    I'm not familiar with OE, but it might be worth looking at what's
    available in (I think) 'Message Rules'; if you can set a 'rule' to 'block'
    or 'send to trash' if the Newsgroups header (or 'any header') includes a
    particular string of characters, then that should do the trick.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Feb 28, 2007
  5. john sumner

    john sumner Guest

    "Whiskers" <> wrote in message
    > I'm not familiar with OE, but it might be worth looking at what's
    > available in (I think) 'Message Rules'; if you can set a 'rule' to 'block'
    > or 'send to trash' if the Newsgroups header (or 'any header') includes a
    > particular string of characters, then that should do the trick.
    >
    > --
    > -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    > -- Whiskers
    > -- ~~~~~~~~~~

    OK whiskers i can try that, thanks a lot
    john sumner, Feb 28, 2007
  6. john sumner

    Vanguard Guest

    "john sumner" <> wrote in message
    >I use OE and was wondering how i block a news group like AUK
    > tired of seeing their crossposting BS.

    You have no control over what other users specify in the Newsgroups
    header, like listing multiple newsgroups for a cross-posted message. OE
    doesn't have a strong rules set. Thunderbirds rules are even worse then
    OE. Go check Xnews. I trialed it awhile back (but it had too many UI
    bugs and I didn't like the window behavior). Xnews has regular
    expressions that you could use to see if a substring is included in the
    Newsgroups header.
    Vanguard, Feb 28, 2007
  7. john sumner wrote:
    > I use OE and was wondering how i block a news group like AUK
    > tired of seeing their crossposting BS.

    Unsubscribe.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Feb 28, 2007
  8. john sumner

    elaich Guest

    "Vanguard" <> wrote in news:es4ali$h1r$:

    > Xnews has regular
    > expressions that you could use to see if a substring is included in the
    > Newsgroups header.

    In Xnews, you can simply block all crossposted messages. In Setup>
    Misc>"Kill articles that are crossposted to more than (1) group."

    Xnews has a few bugs, but I'll live with them because of the marvelous
    control it gives me. And I love the windows behavior. It's one of the few
    newsreaders I've found that does not force me to use split screens. It
    behaves exactly like IE, opening a new full screen window to display the
    message, while leaving the window with the newsgroup threads open beneath.
    Posting a reply opens another window. The only way to improve it would be
    tabbed browsing like in Firefox.

    --
    A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of the message.
    Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?
    elaich, Feb 28, 2007
  9. john sumner

    john sumner Guest

    "elaich"

    > In Xnews, you can simply block all crossposted messages. In Setup>
    > Misc>"Kill articles that are crossposted to more than (1) group."
    >
    > Xnews has a few bugs, but I'll live with them because of the marvelous
    > control it gives me. And I love the windows behavior. It's one of the few
    > newsreaders I've found that does not force me to use split screens. It
    > behaves exactly like IE, opening a new full screen window to display the
    > message, while leaving the window with the newsgroup threads open beneath.
    > Posting a reply opens another window. The only way to improve it would be
    > tabbed browsing like in Firefox.

    Ok guys thanks for the info, will take his all and decide what i want to do
    but thanks a lot.
    john sumner, Feb 28, 2007
  10. john sumner

    TransWench Guest

    I was busily flonking away in AUK, when The Goddess Eris Herself
    suddenly made me reply to AOK:
    > john sumner wrote:
    >> john sumner <> Thou woman's frock. What cracker is
    >> this same that deafs our ears with this abundance of superfluous breath.
    >> Thou buck-toothed miser. Thou witless wild heart. Ye castigated and ye
    >> yipped:
    >>
    >>> I use OE and was wondering how i block a news group like AUK tired of
    >>> seeing their crossposting BS.

    >> Real meaning: "WAHAAAAAA WAAAAAAH WAHHHH! MY PUSSY HURTS!!!"

    > This is not misogynist language?

    Ignoring the opportunity for commenting on your attempted autoflame, no,
    it isn't. Mr. Sumner is behaving like a whiner with no self-control;
    IOW, after the manner of someone who would have a decent excuse for such
    complaining. After all, if your vagina were hurting very badly, would
    you be inclined to refrain from making any sort of scene? No one would
    blame you if you did, assuming they knew the circumstances. However,
    don't take that as carte blanche to palm off any bitching you may do as
    being caused by pain in your crotch -- not all the time. Wears thin,
    after awhile...

    Hail Eris! All hail Discordia!! Kallisti!!! mhm 29x21; Chung Convict #78
    Pope Snarky Goodfella of the undulating cable, JM,
    CK, POEE, KOTHASK, GGGHD, HCNB, IAC, MWFA
    COOSN-029-06-71069

    VOTE! Usenet Kook Awards, February 2007

    WINNERS! Usenet Kook Awards, January 2007 MID:
    <Xns98D232E44C01pinkusenseinetcabalc@204.153.244.170>

    Email popesnarky *at* gmail.com
    I want a boyfriend who is sensitive and caring,
    but they already have boyfriends.

    "I hate explain $hit to tards. Especially illiterate tards." -- The
    Monkey is very hard on irony meters, as in MID:
    <Tc4xh.657$hH2.432@trnddc02>

    "email is not a private form of communication." -- Dustin Cook, in
    "Dustin is FILTH in my opinion. And not for any reason other than
    posting Rhonda's personal info." -- Respondant

    "After the Swift Boat Veterans who served with Kerry in Vietnam claimed
    that Kerry lied about his heroism, the Democrats wanted to make a
    similar ad attacking Bush, but they couldn't find anyone who served with
    him." -- Anonymous

    "You would no longer be here if I were to stop praying for you." Andrew
    B. Chung's delusions of grandeur are getting out of hand, in MID:
    <>

    You're fighting a Spam Witch

    You look into this seductive creature's eyes and feel as if she can make
    your sword longer, your bank account bigger, your waist smaller, and
    show you the secret habits of barnyard animals. You fight to resist her
    charms . . .

    She gets the jump on you.

    She shows you a picture of her pet goat. "This is my goat, see?" she
    says. Dear god, the horror. Ooh! Ugh! Ouch! Oof! Oof!

    You lose 17 hit points. (bad spelling damage) -- The Kingdom of Loathing
    TransWench, Mar 1, 2007
  11. john sumner

    john sumner Guest

    "TransWench" <> wrote in message > >> yipped:

    no,
    > it isn't. Mr. Sumner is behaving like a whiner with no self-control;
    > IOW, after the manner of someone who would have a decent excuse for such
    > complaining. After all, if your vagina were hurting very badly, would
    > you be inclined to refrain from making any sort of scene? No one would
    > blame you if you did, assuming they knew the circumstances. However,
    > don't take that as carte blanche to palm off any bitching you may do as
    > being caused by pain in your crotch -- not all the time. Wears thin,
    > after awhile...

    Thats nice troll *PLONK*
    john sumner, Mar 1, 2007
  12. TransWench <> wrote in
    fan.callahanian:

    > Ignoring the opportunity for commenting on your attempted autoflame, no,
    > it isn't. Mr. Sumner is behaving like a whiner with no self-control;
    > IOW, after the manner of someone who would have a decent excuse for such
    > complaining. After all, if your vagina were hurting very badly,

    If my vagina were hurting very badly, I would quickly fix it for her!

    --

    Folks still remember the day the ole travelin' salesman
    came bouncing down that dirt road in his old pickup truck.
    Bucky Breeder, Mar 1, 2007
  13. john sumner

    Mike Easter Guest

    Daave wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:

    >> The bonomi link above addresses using nfilter with OE and using the
    >> xref line. The nfilter site addresses the overview issue.

    > I went to http://www.nfilter.org/faq.html and saw the part about
    > finding a list of overview fields. I attempted to use telnet for
    > this, but I guess I'm unclear as to how to do this.
    >
    > I got as far as the telnet window and this message:
    >
    > 200 aioe.org InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.4.3 (20050407 prerelease)
    > ready (posting ok).
    >
    > Then I get a small box that says "Connection to host lost."
    >
    > Any suggestions as to how I can do this properly? I'm at a loss here!

    <Connecting to news.aioe.org on port 119; my connection to
    nntp.aioe.org wouldn't hold, as you described.>

    200 aioe.org InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.4.3 (20050407 prerelease)
    ready (posting ok).

    list overview.fmt
    215 Order of fields in overview database.