    I'm having a problem I haven't noticed in the past. Upon re-starts my
    blocked senders list keeps getting emptied out. Could there be a big
    problem or am I just missing a setting? I'm running Windows XP Pro.

    Jim Tiberio, Sep 15, 2006

  2. Jim Tiberio

    Mike Easter Guest

    Jim Tiberio wrote:
    > I'm having a problem I haven't noticed in the past. Upon re-starts my
    > blocked senders list keeps getting emptied out. Could there be a big
    > problem or am I just missing a setting? I'm running Windows XP Pro.

    First of all, block sender is not a good way to deal with email spam,
    but it can be useful for some trivial newsgroup filtering. If you are
    clicking on 'block sender' everytime you get a spam like some people do,
    you are going to make a big mess and also not do any good about the
    spam.

    Second -- blocked senders is stored in a registry key under the
    identity.

    I'm not sure how a registry key would get 'emptied out' trivially.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Sep 15, 2006

  3. Jim Tiberio

    Jim Tiberio Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    > Jim Tiberio wrote:
    >> I'm having a problem I haven't noticed in the past. Upon re-starts my
    >> blocked senders list keeps getting emptied out. Could there be a big
    >> problem or am I just missing a setting? I'm running Windows XP Pro.

    > First of all, block sender is not a good way to deal with email spam,
    > but it can be useful for some trivial newsgroup filtering.

    That's all I use it for, just killfiling some newsgroup folks and not e-mail
    filtering.

    >If you are
    > clicking on 'block sender' everytime you get a spam like some people do,
    > you are going to make a big mess and also not do any good about the
    > spam.
    >
    > Second -- blocked senders is stored in a registry key under the
    > identity.
    >
    > I'm not sure how a registry key would get 'emptied out' trivially.

    Me either, but it is. Upon every re-start the list is empty.

    Jim Tiberio, Sep 15, 2006
  4. Jim Tiberio

    Mike Easter Guest

    Jim Tiberio wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"
    >> Jim Tiberio wrote:
    >>> Upon re-starts
    >>> my blocked senders list keeps getting emptied out. Could there be
    >>> a big problem

    >> blocked senders is stored in a registry key under the
    >> identity.
    >>
    >> I'm not sure how a registry key would get 'emptied out' trivially.
    >>

    > Me either, but it is. Upon every re-start the list is empty.

    Do you have multiple identities? Each has its own blocked senders.

    I would be concerned about that, if parts of your registry are falling
    out. You should backup your registry and you can backup the specific
    registry keys associated with OE.

    Tom Koch describes partial OE backup
    http://www.insideoe.com/backup/partial.htm Backing up Selected Identity
    Settings

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Sep 15, 2006
  5. Jim Tiberio

    > Jim Tiberio wrote:

    >>> blocked senders is stored in a registry key under the
    >>> identity.
    >>>
    >>> I'm not sure how a registry key would get 'emptied out' trivially.
    >>>

    >> Me either, but it is. Upon every re-start the list is empty.

    > Do you have multiple identities? Each has its own blocked senders.
    >
    > I would be concerned about that, if parts of your registry are falling
    > out. You should backup your registry and you can backup the specific
    > registry keys associated with OE.
    >
    > Tom Koch describes partial OE backup
    > http://www.insideoe.com/backup/partial.htm Backing up Selected Identity
    > Settings

    Thanks, I'll look into that. It just got worse however, now it seems the
    blocked senders list is going away when I switch NGs... That wasn't
    happenning the past two days. Ughhh, since this seems to be a registry
    error in your opinion could this be a job for Registry Mechanic? Yes, I am
    naive with this stuff so don't be too harsh if that was a very stupid
    question.

    Jim Tiberio, Sep 15, 2006
  6. Jim Tiberio

    > Jim Tiberio wrote:

    >>> blocked senders is stored in a registry key under the
    >>> identity.
    >>>
    >>> I'm not sure how a registry key would get 'emptied out' trivially.
    >>>

    >> Me either, but it is. Upon every re-start the list is empty.

    > Do you have multiple identities? Each has its own blocked senders.

    I forgot to adress this, no, my news provider doesn't allow for that, this
    is my only identity.

    Jim Tiberio, Sep 15, 2006
  7. Jim Tiberio

    Jim Tiberio Guest

    "Jim Tiberio" <> wrote in message

    > "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    >> Jim Tiberio wrote:
    >>> "Mike Easter"

    >>> Me either, but it is. Upon every re-start the list is empty.

    >> Do you have multiple identities? Each has its own blocked senders.

    > I forgot to adress this, no, my news provider doesn't allow for that, this
    > is my only identity.

    Also, I tried to set up Thunderbird this week and copied the settings from
    OE, could that have caused a problem with the registry?

    Jim Tiberio, Sep 15, 2006
  8. Jim Tiberio

    Mike Easter Guest

    Jim Tiberio wrote:

    > It just got worse however, now it seems
    > the blocked senders list is going away when I switch NGs... That
    > wasn't happenning the past two days. Ughhh, since this seems to be a
    > registry error in your opinion could this be a job for Registry
    > Mechanic? Yes, I am naive with this stuff so don't be too harsh if
    > that was a very stupid question.

    Not that there is anything logical about this suggestion of mine, since
    this doesn't have anything to do with the registry, but I think that if
    I were having trouble with something 'inexplicable' when I do things
    with my news, that I would 'remove and replace' the newsserver account.

    You are posting here with individual. I don't know if you use multiple
    newsservers or not, but if you access OE/ Tools/ Accounts/ News tab -
    then one of those accounts is the Individual one. The idea is that you
    remove that account by selecting it and using remove. Naturally that
    will cause everything to be lost, which groups you subscribed, which
    messages were downloaded and read, etc.

    Then, you recreate the account using New like you did in the first place
    and start all over with subscribing to groups and getting message
    headers as new, etc. then sometimes the news account 'just works better'
    than before.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Sep 15, 2006
  9. Jim Tiberio

    Mike Easter Guest

    Jim Tiberio wrote:
    > "Jim Tiberio"
    >> "Mike Easter"

    >>> Do you have multiple identities? Each has its own blocked senders.

    >> I forgot to adress this, no, my news provider doesn't allow for
    >> that, this is my only identity.

    Actually...

    I don't want to cause confusion, but it is possible to have multiple OE
    identities while using a single news account, but that doesn't pertain
    to this issue if you aren't doing that.

    > Also, I tried to set up Thunderbird this week and copied the settings
    > from OE, could that have caused a problem with the registry?

    Not that I can imagine.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Sep 15, 2006
  10. Jim Tiberio

    AnonyMouse Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > Jim Tiberio wrote:
    >> "Jim Tiberio"
    >>> "Mike Easter"

    >>> I forgot to adress this, no, my news provider doesn't allow for
    >>> that, this is my only identity.

    > Actually...
    >
    > I don't want to cause confusion, but it is possible to have multiple OE
    > identities while using a single news account, but that doesn't pertain
    > to this issue if you aren't doing that.
    >
    >> Also, I tried to set up Thunderbird this week and copied the settings
    >> from OE, could that have caused a problem with the registry?

    > Not that I can imagine.

    But I do think that since it will be reading and writing from a
    different part of the registry, maybe that will help.

    Also the remove/replace suggestion sounds like it might work.

    AnonyMouse, Sep 17, 2006