blocked file download

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by yonny, Sep 15, 2006.

  1. yonny

    yonny Guest

    Hey Ive got a really big problem im an ardent fan of the prison break
    series and the uni has done me a great disservice by blocking downloads
    of certain file types or file extensions when i try to download an mp3
    wma avi or rar file I get this error page

    ERROR

    While trying to retrieve the URL:
    http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~keechung/My Music/Bach - Brandenburg Concerto No. 4 I, II, III.mp3

    The following error was encountered:

    Access Denied.
    Access control configuration prevents your request from being allowed
    at this time. Please contact your service provider if you feel this is
    incorrect.

    Your cache administrator is root.

    Generated Fri, 15 Sep 2006 14:34:15 GMT by menengai (Squid/2.4.STABLE7)

    Can you please help me , give me suggestions on how to create a hole in
    the firewall or something please.

    yonny, Sep 15, 2006

  2. yonny

    Jason Guest

    * yonny <>:
    > Hey Ive got a really big problem im an ardent fan of the prison break
    > series and the uni has done me a great disservice by blocking downloads
    > of certain file types or file extensions when i try to download an mp3
    > wma avi or rar file I get this error page

    Good for them, nice to see a university smart enough to try to stop
    people from stealing.

    Go buy the damn dvd set.

    Jason, Sep 15, 2006

  3. yonny

    Jim Watt Guest

    Jim Watt, Sep 15, 2006
  4. Jason wrote:

    > * yonny <>:
    >> Hey Ive got a really big problem im an ardent fan of the prison break
    >> series and the uni has done me a great disservice by blocking downloads
    >> of certain file types or file extensions when i try to download an mp3
    >> wma avi or rar file I get this error page
    >>

    > Good for them, nice to see a university smart enough to try to stop
    > people from stealing.

    Neither does a download imply a copyright violation (what about commercial
    download services) nor is a copyright infringement particularly comparable
    to theft.

    > Go buy the damn dvd set.

    Can you play a DVD on your PSP or iPod Video?

    Sebastian Gottschalk, Sep 15, 2006
  5. yonny

    Todd H. Guest

    Sebastian Gottschalk <> writes:

    > Can you play a DVD on your PSP or iPod Video?

    And can you get a DVD of the new episodes from this season?

    Umm... no.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

    Todd H., Sep 15, 2006
  6. "Jim Watt" <_way> wrote in message
    > On 15 Sep 2006 07:16:39 -0700, "yonny" <> wrote:
    >

    >>Can you please help me , give me suggestions on how to create a hole in
    >>the firewall or something please.

    > Maybe the guy here could help ?
    >
    > http://www.tompkinsready.org/community/fireems/lansing.aspx
    > --
    > Jim Watt
    > http://www.gibnet.com

    Good one

    To yonny-
    Those file are blocked for a reason - why should anyone help you break the
    block?
    As long as you are getting free or subsidized internet, you must abide by
    the rules.
    If you want other content, go pay for you own connection.

    Stuart

    Stuart Miller, Sep 16, 2006
  7. yonny

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 01:39:09 GMT, "Stuart Miller"
    <> wrote:

    >Those file are blocked for a reason - why should anyone help you break the
    >block?
    >As long as you are getting free or subsidized internet, you must abide by
    >the rules.
    >If you want other content, go pay for you own connection.

    Indeed, the Internet is provided for educational purposes
    and using it to download entertainment prevents others
    using the shared bandwidth from using it efficiently
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Sep 16, 2006
  8. Hello there,

    Aside of ethical, behavioural and legal questions ...those are for you and
    you should be able to think in term of "what am i doing" (trying to download
    a piece of baroc music - even if I find that this version is definitely not
    the best I've heard, if you want a real version of this concerto, go for
    Rene Jacobs, The Ricercar Consort, Nikolaus Harnoncourt or Gustav Leonhardt)
    and "what will be the consequences" (Are you going to be thrown out of the
    university for that ?)

    Your university system is either blocking the site OR the mp3 extension.

    First case ... try to find an "anonymizer" to surf : this is a site acting
    as a proxy.

    Second case : you have to find a way to change the extension AND the mime
    type. Either by compressing it, crypting it or whatever ... or establishing
    an ssl connection to a proxy which in turn will allow you to download the
    file in question.

    Regards,
    Jean-Francois

    Jean-François Gobin, Sep 16, 2006
  9. Stuart Miller wrote:

    > "Jim Watt" <_way> wrote in message
    >> On 15 Sep 2006 07:16:39 -0700, "yonny" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Can you please help me , give me suggestions on how to create a hole in
    >>>the firewall or something please.

    >> Maybe the guy here could help ?
    >>
    >> http://www.tompkinsready.org/community/fireems/lansing.aspx
    >> --
    >> Jim Watt
    >> http://www.gibnet.com

    > Good one
    >
    > To yonny- Those file are blocked for a reason

    Yes, stupidity.

    > why should anyone help you break the block?

    Circumventing implemented stupidity?

    > As long as you are getting free or subsidized internet, you must abide by
    > the rules.

    May be, but there are no rules that prohibit such a thing.

    Sebastian Gottschalk, Sep 16, 2006
  10. yonny

    nemo_outis Guest

    "yonny" <> wrote in

    > Hey Ive got a really big problem im an ardent fan of the prison break
    > series and the uni has done me a great disservice by blocking
    > downloads of certain file types or file extensions when i try to
    > download an mp3 wma avi or rar file I get this error page

    I don't know the specifics of your system, but the simplest one-word
    solution (shades of "The Graduate"!) is: tunnelling.

    You must tunnel out (preferably - no, make that mandatorily, encrypted) to
    a proxy server that will then get to you where on the net you want to go to
    hoover down whatever it is you're interested in.

    Tunnelling is a principle, not a specific technology, and there are many
    methods subsumed within it (SSL, SSH, Httptunnel, Httphost, etc.). The
    best method varies with the specifics of the situation (e.g., what ports
    the university allows through, etc.). Tor would be one convenient choice
    (although it's a mortal sin to burden privacy networks with great wads of
    binary traffic). The Http tunnel family of methods is probably the most
    robust in tunnelling through a port-limited system (some even carry dummy
    http cover traffic in the packets to look unencrypted!).

    Regards,

    nemo_outis, Sep 16, 2006
  11. yonny

    Ze Muffinman Guest

    Easy.
    When showing the "Where To Download" screen, remove the ".mp3" and
    replace it with ".doc". Once downloaded, change it back. Tihs doesn't
    work with new firewalls, though. Sorry.

    Ze Muffinman, Sep 16, 2006
  12. Ze Muffinman wrote:

    > Easy.
    > When showing the "Where To Download" screen, remove the ".mp3" and
    > replace it with ".doc". Once downloaded, change it back. Tihs doesn't
    > work with new firewalls, though. Sorry.

    It shouldn't even work in theory.

    Sebastian Gottschalk, Sep 16, 2006
  13. yonny

    Ze Muffinman Guest

    > It shouldn't even work in theory.

    It did for me a really long time ago, when firewalls were still a new
    concept.

    Ze Muffinman, Sep 17, 2006
  14. Ze Muffinman wrote:

    >> It shouldn't even work in theory.

    > It did for me a really long time ago, when firewalls were still a new
    > concept.

    What a nonsense. There's no relation between the file name you're saving
    the download to and the issued file retrieve request transfered to the
    server. Such a differentiation could only occur at the client, not at the
    firewall, as it doesn't even know the file save name.

    Sebastian Gottschalk, Sep 17, 2006
  15. yonny

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 22:19:22 +0200, Sebastian Gottschalk
    <> wrote:

    >> To yonny- Those file are blocked for a reason

    >Yes, stupidity.

    No, its very sensible to restrict users from doing large downloads of
    inapporpriate material which will degrade other users use of the
    systems.

    http://www.itpolicies.buffalo.edu/Com_Net_Usage/

    Copyright: Written permission from the copyright holder is required to
    duplicate any copyrighted material.

    Abuse of Computer Resources: Abuse of University at Buffalo computer
    resources is prohibited. This abuse includes, but is not limited to,
    the following:

    Private Commercial Purposes: The computing resources of University at
    Buffalo shall not be used for personal or private commercial purposes
    or for financial gain.

    Breaching Security: Deliberate attempts to degrade the performance of
    a computer system or network or to deprive authorized personnel of
    resources or access to any University at Buffalo computer or network
    is prohibited.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Sep 17, 2006
  16. Ze Muffinman wrote:

    > > It shouldn't even work in theory.

    > It did for me a really long time ago, when firewalls were still a new
    > concept.

    Baloney.

    In the first place, examining content is something that's relatively
    new to firewalls, so your statement is false at face value. They've
    been around a lot longer than they've had the ability to "filter on
    file names".

    Second, renaming file extensions locally as you save them then naming
    them back won't work, and never DID work, because the file is sent with
    the original extension. And the only place that extension is "visible"
    to a firewall would be in packet/protocol headers, so saving the file as
    a different name has no effect at all on any firewall.

    You might have been able to get around some sort of locally run anti
    virus software or whatever, but not a firewall. Not ever.

    Borked Pseudo Mailed, Sep 17, 2006
  17. yonny

    Ze Muffinman Guest

    I MEANT ON MY LINUX FIREWALL! Stop yelling at me! Linux firewalls suck.
    It doesn't work anymore, but it used to ON A LINUX FIREWALL.

    Ze Muffinman, Sep 17, 2006
  18. Ze Muffinman wrote:

    > I MEANT ON MY LINUX FIREWALL! Stop yelling at me!

    Nobody is yelling here, but you. We're correcting your mistakes and
    misconceptions.

    > Linux firewalls suck.

    On the contrary, "Linux firewalls" are some of the most versatile,
    robust, well behaved firewalls there are. That's why many modern
    hardware firewalls run Linux in fact. Those facts aside, even a locally
    running Linux firewall can't see what name you're saving a downloaded
    file to, so what you're describing isn't possible. Period.

    > It doesn't work anymore, but it used to ON A LINUX FIREWALL.

    Nope! I don't know what it is that caused you to believe what you
    believe, but a Linux firewall would be the last place someone would
    expect to see the filtering you're describing. That sort of content
    management is a relatively new phenomenon, and almost without exception
    the domain of the Windows "security suite" type application where
    firewalling, spam protection, AV, nanny blocking, and anti-spyware
    are included in one big GUI driven monstrosity.

    Borked Pseudo Mailed, Sep 17, 2006
  19. Ze Muffinman wrote:

    > I MEANT ON MY LINUX FIREWALL! Stop yelling at me! Linux firewalls suck.
    > It doesn't work anymore, but it used to ON A LINUX FIREWALL.

    OK, but you should still rethink your claim.

    If you want to download the stated .mp3 file and you're saving it as
    foobar.doc in your webbrowser or whatever, which request is sent, which one
    would you send, which one would succeed without the firewall in place,
    which one with the firewall in place?

    [ ]

    GET
    /~keechung/My%20Music/Bach%20-%20Brandenburg%20Concerto%20No.%204%20I,%20II,%20III.mp3
    HTTP/1.1
    Host: www.acsu.buffalo.edu

    [ ]

    GET
    /~keechung/My%20Music/Bach%20-%20Brandenburg%20Concerto%20No.%204%20I,%20II,%20III.doc
    HTTP/1.1
    Host: www.acsu.buffalo.edu

    [ ]

    GET /~keechung/My%20Music/foobar.doc HTTP/1.1
    Host: www.acsu.buffalo.edu

    Sebastian Gottschalk, Sep 18, 2006