blocked emails

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by PWB, Aug 9, 2007.

  1. PWB

    PWB Guest

    Are you able to BLOCK emails in thunderbird like you can in OE.? TIA
     
    PWB, Aug 9, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. PWB wrote:
    > Are you able to BLOCK emails in thunderbird like you can in OE.? TIA


    There are options to create rules about blocking emails. Since I've
    never used OE enough to be really familiar with it, I'm not sure how
    alike they are. Just click on Tools > Message Filters
     
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Aug 9, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Rôgêr wrote:
    > PWB wrote:
    >> Are you able to BLOCK emails in thunderbird like you can in OE.? TIA

    >
    > There are options to create rules about blocking emails. Since I've
    > never used OE enough to be really familiar with it, I'm not sure how
    > alike they are. Just click on Tools > Message Filters


    Where filtering really sucks in Chunderbird are for newsgroups. See the
    third line of my sig.[1] The only headers one can filter on are From,
    Subject and Date. Duh.

    [1]I've started using TB for the news.mozilla.org groups, so I've
    finally spent a lot of time setting it up, adding extensions, and trying
    to take as much of the curse off it as possible. That's quite a task.


    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups.
    Except in Thunderbird, which can't filter that well.
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
     
    Blinky the Shark, Aug 9, 2007
    #3
  4. Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Rôgêr wrote:
    >> PWB wrote:
    >>> Are you able to BLOCK emails in thunderbird like you can in OE.? TIA

    >> There are options to create rules about blocking emails. Since I've
    >> never used OE enough to be really familiar with it, I'm not sure how
    >> alike they are. Just click on Tools > Message Filters

    >
    > Where filtering really sucks in Chunderbird are for newsgroups. See the
    > third line of my sig.[1] The only headers one can filter on are From,
    > Subject and Date. Duh.
    >
    > [1]I've started using TB for the news.mozilla.org groups, so I've
    > finally spent a lot of time setting it up, adding extensions, and trying
    > to take as much of the curse off it as possible. That's quite a task.


    I've used TBird for a long time, Mozilla and Netscape before that. But
    only on text groups. Does a fine job for me, I'm not on a Usenet
    Improvement Project, although I admit blocking GG'ers is not a bad idea.
    I use XNews and/or Agent for binaries. Don't know for sure why, but I've
    never really cared for them for text groups. Has to do with simplicity I
    suppose.
     
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Aug 9, 2007
    #4
  5. PWB

    Vanguard Guest

    "PWB" wrote in message
    news:gmzui.15769$...
    > Are you able to BLOCK emails in thunderbird like you can in OE.? TIA



    Yes.

    The rules set in Thunderbird is worse (i.e., not as many conditions)
    than in Outlook Express. If you want better rules than either of these,
    look to Xnews (if you like their UI) but, as I recall, you'll have to
    understand regular expressions to write those rules. 40tude Dialog is
    probably easier to use with a better rules set than Tbird and OE.
    Unfortunately, as with many alternative NNTP clients, Xnews and 40tude
    Dialog are dead products (i.e., they work but no work is being done on
    them), but then OE isn't exactly getting any improvements, either (the
    last one was in WinXP SP-2 for bottom-posting and bottom signature which
    require a registry edit to enable).

    For as long as Tbird has been out, it is surprising that they haven't
    yet significantly improved its rules set. Also, there were some
    "features" when I last trialed Tbird (last February, I believe) that
    required you to edit .css files rather than access them through the
    menus. For example, and when I trialed it, I had to edit some .css file
    to get Tbird to stop automatically truncating newsgroup names. I had to
    ask in a mozilla group to get that info.

    I see they just came out with version 2.0.0.6 so I'll have to trial it
    again to see if they finally made some improvements in configuration and
    the rules set. I didn't see mention of improving or increasing the
    number of conditions or clauses within the rules, and didn't see an
    add-on that improved them (for example, by adding regular expressions).
    There are a lot of add-ons, though.
     
    Vanguard, Aug 9, 2007
    #5
  6. Rôgêr wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Rôgêr wrote:
    >>> PWB wrote:
    >>>> Are you able to BLOCK emails in thunderbird like you can in OE.? TIA
    >>> There are options to create rules about blocking emails. Since I've
    >>> never used OE enough to be really familiar with it, I'm not sure how
    >>> alike they are. Just click on Tools > Message Filters

    >>
    >> Where filtering really sucks in Chunderbird are for newsgroups. See the
    >> third line of my sig.[1] The only headers one can filter on are From,
    >> Subject and Date. Duh.
    >>
    >> [1]I've started using TB for the news.mozilla.org groups, so I've
    >> finally spent a lot of time setting it up, adding extensions, and trying
    >> to take as much of the curse off it as possible. That's quite a task.

    >
    > I've used TBird for a long time, Mozilla and Netscape before that. But


    I stay away from news/mail client afterthoughts to browser. TB is an
    exception I'm playing with (for that one server) right now. I am
    attracted to stand-alone mail and news clients, rather than ones written
    by browser houses. I'd also rather have the browser houses spend that
    effort on their browsers.

    > only on text groups. Does a fine job for me, I'm not on a Usenet
    > Improvement Project, although I admit blocking GG'ers is not a bad idea.
    > I use XNews and/or Agent for binaries. Don't know for sure why, but I've
    > never really cared for them for text groups. Has to do with simplicity I
    > suppose.


    For Win and text groups, IMO Xnews is tops.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups.
    Except in Thunderbird, which can't filter that well.
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
     
    Blinky the Shark, Aug 9, 2007
    #6
  7. Vanguard wrote:
    > "PWB" wrote in message
    > news:gmzui.15769$...
    >> Are you able to BLOCK emails in thunderbird like you can in OE.? TIA

    >
    >
    > Yes.
    >
    > The rules set in Thunderbird is worse (i.e., not as many conditions)
    > than in Outlook Express. If you want better rules than either of these,
    > look to Xnews (if you like their UI) but, as I recall, you'll have to
    > understand regular expressions to write those rules. 40tude Dialog is


    1. Xnews has a GUI for making rules.

    2. You don't need to use regex to hand-roll Xnews rules.

    3. You *can* use regex if you want or need to.

    > For as long as Tbird has been out, it is surprising that they haven't
    > yet significantly improved its rules set. Also, there were some


    Perhaps the new guys will wake up, when it leaves Mozilla.

    > "features" when I last trialed Tbird (last February, I believe) that
    > required you to edit .css files rather than access them through the
    > menus. For example, and when I trialed it, I had to edit some .css file
    > to get Tbird to stop automatically truncating newsgroup names. I had to
    > ask in a mozilla group to get that info.
    >
    > I see they just came out with version 2.0.0.6 so I'll have to trial it
    > again to see if they finally made some improvements in configuration and
    > the rules set. I didn't see mention of improving or increasing the


    Rules no better.

    > number of conditions or clauses within the rules, and didn't see an
    > add-on that improved them (for example, by adding regular expressions).
    > There are a lot of add-ons, though.


    I've heard that the rules *can't* be expanded via addon because of
    lacking code in the program itself.


    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups.
    Except in Thunderbird, which can't filter that well.
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
     
    Blinky the Shark, Aug 9, 2007
    #7
  8. PWB

    Vanguard Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    > I've heard that the rules *can't* be expanded via addon because of
    > lacking code in the program itself.



    Damn. I was hoping someone came up with a pre-filtering plug-in that
    itself could implement better rules and maybe add tag headers that the
    regular rules could trigger on. I only had a couple minutes to wade
    through some of the add-ons. Guess Tbird still is deficient in rules.
     
    Vanguard, Aug 9, 2007
    #8
  9. Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > I am
    > attracted to stand-alone mail and news clients, rather than ones written
    > by browser houses.


    You're also attracted by minute electrical charges in the water, such as
    what's given off by the outboard motor and the sacrificial zinc plug.
     
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Aug 9, 2007
    #9
  10. Rôgêr wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> I am
    >> attracted to stand-alone mail and news clients, rather than ones written
    >> by browser houses.

    >
    > You're also attracted by minute electrical charges in the water, such as
    > what's given off by the outboard motor and the sacrificial zinc plug.


    Nofish's perfect. :)


    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups.
    Except in Thunderbird, which can't filter that well.
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
     
    Blinky the Shark, Aug 10, 2007
    #10
  11. Vanguard wrote:
    > "Blinky the Shark" wrote in message
    > news:...
    >>
    >> I've heard that the rules *can't* be expanded via addon because of
    >> lacking code in the program itself.

    >
    > Damn. I was hoping someone came up with a pre-filtering plug-in that
    > itself could implement better rules and maybe add tag headers that the
    > regular rules could trigger on. I only had a couple minutes to wade
    > through some of the add-ons. Guess Tbird still is deficient in rules.


    Yep. You could use Hamster. Or, perhaps, nFilter. I've never used
    either, because my heavy lifters for news/mail have good filtering
    capabilities (or they would only be novelties for me, like TB). But
    others are happy using them (Hamster and nFilter, and, for that matter
    slrnpull and Leafnode). A good place to discuss their various plusses
    and minuses is news.software.readers. It's the first group I read after
    I poll the server. It's a good small group and has some wizards.


    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups.
    Except in Thunderbird, which can't filter that well.
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
     
    Blinky the Shark, Aug 10, 2007
    #11
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. ATTENTION  ACCOUNTS PAYABLE

    open spam blocked emails

    ATTENTION ACCOUNTS PAYABLE, Mar 8, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    480
    Blinky the Shark
    Mar 9, 2005
  2. Drifter
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    896
    colin
    Jul 7, 2004
  3. lee.ingram

    Scanning my emails for harmfull emails etc

    lee.ingram, Jan 11, 2006, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    621
    Plato
    Jan 12, 2006
  4. carol

    My emails are being blocked

    carol, Apr 23, 2006, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    13
    Views:
    974
    Plato
    Apr 23, 2006
  5. TG

    Where is list of blocked emails from OE?

    TG, Feb 4, 2008, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    466
Loading...

Share This Page