blocked address

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by John, Feb 25, 2004.

  1. John

    John Guest

    gorkin wrote:

    > Hi! I got these port scans from ip 169.254.144.251 and when i tried to do
    > traceroute it said assigned by IANA for use in private internets
    > [blocked]...what the hell does this mean?...i also tried pinging whois etc
    > etc using various sites online offerring this kind of stuff...all I found
    > out is that they have their ports 80 and 53 (UDP) open...
    >
    > thanks.

    I just ran that IP through samspade.org and it shows as belonging to the
    IANA. It looks like it might be part of a blackhole list system that they
    maintain. Do you have a mail server running at the address that got
    scanned? If so, you may want to check if it got 'blacklisted'. Some of
    the blackhole systems will run port scans when they suspect open relays.
    John, Feb 25, 2004

  2. gorkin wrote:

    > Hi! I got these port scans from ip 169.254.144.251 and when i tried to do
    > traceroute it said assigned by IANA for use in private internets
    > [blocked]...what the hell does this mean?...i also tried pinging whois etc
    > etc using various sites online offerring this kind of stuff...all I found
    > out is that they have their ports 80 and 53 (UDP) open...
    >
    > thanks.

    169.254.x.x is indeed a private ip. It's what a Windows machine will
    get if there is no dhcp server and it's trying to contact one.
    Therefore, the machine must be on your local network - try following
    your network cable.

    --
    Richard Kirkcaldy

    http://lordrich.com
    Richard Kirkcaldy, Feb 25, 2004

  3. John

    *Vanguard* Guest

    "gorkin" said in news:c1ip32$23tk$:
    > Hi! I got these port scans from ip 169.254.144.251 and when i tried
    > to do traceroute it said assigned by IANA for use in private internets
    > [blocked]...what the hell does this mean?...i also tried pinging
    > whois etc etc using various sites online offerring this kind of
    > stuff...all I found out is that they have their ports 80 and 53 (UDP)
    > open...
    >
    > thanks.

    APIPA

    Short for Automatic Private IP Addressing, a feature of later Windows
    operating systems. With APIPA, DHCP clients can automatically self-configure
    an IP address and subnet mask when a DHCP server isn't available. When a
    DHCP client boots up, it first looks for a DHCP server in order to obtain an
    IP address and subnet mask. If the client is unable to find the information,
    it uses APIPA to automatically configure itself with an IP address from a
    range that has been reserved especially for Microsoft. The IP address range
    is 169.254.0.1 through 169.254.255.254. The client also configures itself
    with a default class B subnet mask of 255.255.0.0. A client uses the
    self-configured IP address until a DHCP server becomes available.
    The APIPA service also checks regularly for the presence of a DHCP server
    (every five minutes, according to Microsoft). If it detects a DHCP server on
    the network, APIPA stops, and the DHCP server replaces the APIPA networking
    addresses with dynamically assigned addresses.

    APIPA is meant for nonrouted small business environments, usually less than
    25 clients.

    *** Post replies to newsgroup. E-mail is not accepted. ***
    *Vanguard*, Feb 25, 2004
  4. John

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 20:28:55 -0800, "gorkin" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi! I got these port scans from ip 169.254.144.251 and when i tried to do
    >traceroute it said assigned by IANA for use in private internets
    >[blocked]...what the hell does this mean?...i also tried pinging whois etc
    >etc using various sites online offerring this kind of stuff...all I found
    >out is that they have their ports 80 and 53 (UDP) open...
    >
    >thanks.

    Its a default address that a PC on your network has assumed because
    it has not been allocated one by a DHCP server;

    It happens a lot if the network card is not properly configured
    and the machine is half on and half off a network.

    Extract from RFC 3330 ...

    169.254.0.0/16 - This is the "link local" block. It is allocated for
    communication between hosts on a single link. Hosts obtain these
    addresses by auto-configuration, such as when a DHCP server may not
    be found.

    --
    Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com

    gorkin, Feb 26, 2004