  1. skip

    skip Guest

    Anyone renting from Blockbuster thru the mail? Are you happy or sad?
    skip, Aug 15, 2006

  2. skip

    sanpablo Guest

    On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 19:50:29 GMT, skip <skip[@nospam.com> wrote:

    >Anyone renting from Blockbuster thru the mail? Are you happy or sad?

    I'm generally happy with Blockbuster On-Line. Not quite as fast as
    Netflix but their selection is pretty good. Some titles that Netflix
    doesn't have. The 1 free rental per week coupon for the store is what
    keeps me a subscriber for now.
    sanpablo, Aug 17, 2006

  3. skip

    Dot Nettie Guest

    "skip" <skip[@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Anyone renting from Blockbuster thru the mail? Are you happy or sad?

    Actually, I have rented from Blockbuster for almost a year via year long
    gift subscription.

    If you want to know the truth, there wasn't anything that got me more
    aggravated then renting from them; their shipping service was good....now
    for the issues.

    I used BB so I could watch TV series that I have not seen while I was
    working, like The Sopranos, 24, and some BBC productions that consist of
    multiple disks. I can't begin to tell you how many times my queue got mucked
    up by their computer system resulting in multiple disks out of order and
    some not being sent at all. I first tried the approach of ordering the set
    in a block which is recommended. This resulted in a disk or two of a series
    being sent out of order or being ignored altogether. I can understand #2
    being switched with #3, but sending Disk2 season one instead of Season 1
    disk 2, just drove me insane.

    Then, I tried ordering a series one at at time with movies stuck in between;
    that was a bit more effective, but there were certain disks that would never
    arrive. I could only receive one of the disks for a BBC series, and it was
    the final in the series no less, by totally emptying my queue. That prompts
    multiple emails from BB telling you how you should fill up your queue.

    The last straw was this week...I watched every disk available of "24",
    that's 6-7 disks per season for 4 seasons and I can't get the final disk!

    They are pretty good about responding to email, but perpetually were telling
    me how to order disks in a set-like I was a first grader. When I called
    customer service, they were always friendly and so was I. They just never
    could fix my issues. I just wrote them and told them they will be pleased to
    know I won't be sending them emails anymore that made them "listen" to me
    whine about the service I paid for but can't receive. I am simply not going
    to renew with them, ever again. The other thing is, if the movie in your
    queue is "available", one of the reps old me that doesn't necessarily mean
    there is a copy for me...Huh!

    Actually writing this post made my day. ;-) The bottom line is BB is a royal
    PITA.

    D.
    Dot Nettie, Aug 20, 2006
  4. skip

    Bob Guest

    On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 06:51:56 -0400, "Dot Nettie"
    <> wrote:

    > The bottom line is BB is a royal PITA.

    It's always been that way. The people who run it do not care about
    customer satisfaction. Netflix, warts and all, is a helluva lot better
    than BB is ever going to be.

    For example, they will not send discs out of sequence if you order the
    set. They will reach down below the last one and grab a disc from that
    group.

    However, if you are a high volume user of NF, you may have to
    subscribe for a month and then unsubscribe for a month, otherwise they
    might "throttle" you. It's based on usage statistics, so if you have a
    month with no activity, your statistics will look like you are a
    typical user and they won't throttle you.

    I talked in person to a customer service representative about this
    matter of throttling heavy users and she told me it is written policy
    to throttle new releases. They give them to slower users first. She
    suggested that I slow down so I can get priority on new releases, but
    I told her that would cost me money. Then it dawned on me that I could
    accomplish the same thing by unsubscribing for a while and save all
    that money. She did not like that.

    --

    "One must realize that the world is a network of real and virtual
    combat zones where the stakes are high, struggle is the primary
    Bob, Aug 20, 2006
  5. skip

    Dot Nettie Guest

    > I talked in person to a customer service representative about this
    > matter of throttling heavy users and she told me it is written policy
    > to throttle new releases. They give them to slower users first. She
    > suggested that I slow down so I can get priority on new releases, but
    > I told her that would cost me money. Then it dawned on me that I could
    > accomplish the same thing by unsubscribing for a while and save all
    > that money. She did not like that.

    Bob

    How does N/Flix throttle? I haven't heard that term before. I was going to
    go to N/Flix when I have to cancel BB next month. I am not a particularly
    heavy user, but much of what I order are series.

    I have read about Intelliflix. The opinion of them seems pretty good, except
    the website isn't as pretty and there are no movie trailers and no phone
    support. Do you know anything about them, or has anyone here used them?
    Their fees are a bit less, their plans seem more flexible and if you bail
    out on a long term subscription, you can get $ back less one month fee
    charge. Thanks for your input.

    D.
    Dot Nettie, Aug 20, 2006
  6. skip

    Bob Guest

    On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 11:19:41 -0400, "Dot Nettie"
    <> wrote:

    >How does N/Flix throttle?

    It delays the orderly flow of discs, either by not acknowledging
    receipt of returned discs on time or by taking longer to send you a
    disc.

    >I haven't heard that term before.

    It's all over these DVD forums for as long as I can remember.

    >I was going to
    >go to N/Flix when I have to cancel BB next month. I am not a particularly
    >heavy user, but much of what I order are series.

    If you are not a heavy user, then it is unlikely you will be
    throttled. And if you order the entire series at one time, NF will
    send the discs in order. Just be sure to have alternatives for them to
    send in case there is a delay.

    >I have read about Intelliflix. The opinion of them seems pretty good, except
    >the website isn't as pretty and there are no movie trailers and no phone
    >support. Do you know anything about them, or has anyone here used them?
    >Their fees are a bit less, their plans seem more flexible and if you bail
    >out on a long term subscription, you can get $ back less one month fee
    >charge. Thanks for your input.

    Netflix is the best of the lot, warts and all. All you have to
    remember is that if you are a heavy user, then you have to unsubscribe
    for a month after having used them for a month. One month on, one
    month off.

    You might also want to investigate bit torrents on <alt.bittorrent>.
    Almost every popular TV series in available. But you need to burn your
    own data DVDs and your player must be able to read AVI XviD format.
    Otherwise you have to convert and that takes a lot of computer time.

    --

    Rope, Tree, Journalist - some assembly required.
    Bob, Aug 21, 2006
  7. skip

    Dot Nettie Guest

    "Bob" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 11:19:41 -0400, "Dot Nettie"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > Netflix is the best of the lot, warts and all. All you have to
    > remember is that if you are a heavy user, then you have to unsubscribe
    > for a month after having used them for a month. One month on, one
    > month off.

    Thanks for the info. I never did have occasion to come to this usenet group,
    nor did I ever need to evaluate the services provided by a vendor before
    now. My subscription was gift. BB in the beginning at least was
    satisfactory, but no longer.

    I appreciate your input..now I can sit back and wait to get throttled.;-)

    Diane P.
    Dot Nettie, Aug 21, 2006
  8. skip

    Phisherman Guest

    On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 11:51:27 GMT, (Bob) wrote:

    >On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 11:19:41 -0400, "Dot Nettie"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>How does N/Flix throttle?

    >It delays the orderly flow of discs, either by not acknowledging
    >receipt of returned discs on time or by taking longer to send you a
    >disc.
    >
    >>I haven't heard that term before.

    >It's all over these DVD forums for as long as I can remember.
    >
    >>I was going to
    >>go to N/Flix when I have to cancel BB next month. I am not a particularly
    >>heavy user, but much of what I order are series.

    >If you are not a heavy user, then it is unlikely you will be
    >throttled. And if you order the entire series at one time, NF will
    >send the discs in order. Just be sure to have alternatives for them to
    >send in case there is a delay.
    >
    >>I have read about Intelliflix. The opinion of them seems pretty good, except
    >>the website isn't as pretty and there are no movie trailers and no phone
    >>support. Do you know anything about them, or has anyone here used them?
    >>Their fees are a bit less, their plans seem more flexible and if you bail
    >>out on a long term subscription, you can get $ back less one month fee
    >>charge. Thanks for your input.

    >Netflix is the best of the lot, warts and all. All you have to
    >remember is that if you are a heavy user, then you have to unsubscribe
    >for a month after having used them for a month. One month on, one
    >month off.

    Exactly how do you do this with Netflix? Cancel just before the
    billing date? Is the cancellation immediate? Do you empty the queue?
    Or can you retain the queue until you re-subscribe? Thanks

    Phisherman, Aug 21, 2006
  9. skip

    Bob Guest

    On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 08:57:47 -0400, "Dot Nettie"
    <> wrote:

    >now I can sit back and wait to get throttled.;-)

    You won't get throttled if you are a moderate user.

    --

    Rope, Tree, Journalist - some assembly required.
    Bob, Aug 21, 2006
  10. skip

    Bob Guest

    On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 15:07:44 GMT, Phisherman <> wrote:

    >>Netflix is the best of the lot, warts and all. All you have to
    >>remember is that if you are a heavy user, then you have to unsubscribe
    >>for a month after having used them for a month. One month on, one
    >>month off.

    >Exactly how do you do this with Netflix? Cancel just before the
    >billing date? Is the cancellation immediate? Do you empty the queue?
    >Or can you retain the queue until you re-subscribe? Thanks

    Check with "your account" to get the billing date for the next month's
    worth of rentals, and cancel late in the afternoon of the day before.
    Let them send out the last day's discs before you cancel.

    They state that the cancellation is indeed immediate. The queue does
    not have to be emptied. In fact, they keep it for you so when you
    resubscribe you pick up where you left off.

    --

    Rope, Tree, Journalist - some assembly required.
    Bob, Aug 21, 2006
  11. skip

    Phisherman Guest

    On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 17:07:22 GMT, (Bob) wrote:

    >On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 15:07:44 GMT, Phisherman <> wrote:
    >
    >>>Netflix is the best of the lot, warts and all. All you have to
    >>>remember is that if you are a heavy user, then you have to unsubscribe
    >>>for a month after having used them for a month. One month on, one
    >>>month off.

    >>Exactly how do you do this with Netflix? Cancel just before the
    >>billing date? Is the cancellation immediate? Do you empty the queue?
    >>Or can you retain the queue until you re-subscribe? Thanks

    >Check with "your account" to get the billing date for the next month's
    >worth of rentals, and cancel late in the afternoon of the day before.
    >Let them send out the last day's discs before you cancel.
    >
    >They state that the cancellation is indeed immediate. The queue does
    >not have to be emptied. In fact, they keep it for you so when you
    >resubscribe you pick up where you left off.

    Thanks Bob. When I started my account I used to get three envelopes
    all at the same time. Now they arriving at different times of the
    week. One time I got a cracked DVD which I reported as "damaged."
    Netflix waited until they got the cracked DVD, waited several days,
    then sent me an undamaged DVD. All of this took three weeks. You
    would think Netflix would immediately send out another replacement
    disc as soon as I reported it as damaged--they did not. We are
    seeing more DVD online rental companies--competition is very good for
    the consumer.
    Phisherman, Aug 21, 2006
  12. skip

    Bob Guest

    On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 18:35:54 GMT, Phisherman <> wrote:

    >When I started my account I used to get three envelopes
    >all at the same time. Now they arriving at different times of the
    >week. One time I got a cracked DVD which I reported as "damaged."
    >Netflix waited until they got the cracked DVD, waited several days,
    >then sent me an undamaged DVD. All of this took three weeks. You
    >would think Netflix would immediately send out another replacement
    >disc as soon as I reported it as damaged--they did not.

    I reported a cracked DVD and they sent a replacement right away,
    before they got the cracked one back.

    Maybe that was the only disc they had and so they had to get another
    one from another distribution center.

    --

    Rope, Tree, Journalist - some assembly required.
    Bob, Aug 22, 2006
  13. skip

    Guest

    Bob wrote:
    > On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 18:35:54 GMT, Phisherman <> wrote:
    >
    > >When I started my account I used to get three envelopes
    > >all at the same time. Now they arriving at different times of the
    > >week. One time I got a cracked DVD which I reported as "damaged."
    > >Netflix waited until they got the cracked DVD, waited several days,
    > >then sent me an undamaged DVD. All of this took three weeks. You
    > >would think Netflix would immediately send out another replacement
    > >disc as soon as I reported it as damaged--they did not.

    > I reported a cracked DVD and they sent a replacement right away,
    > before they got the cracked one back.
    >
    > Maybe that was the only disc they had and so they had to get another
    > one from another distribution center.
    >

    > --
    >
    > Rope, Tree, Journalist - some assembly required.

    I'm amazed as to how many broken, cracked, unplayable DVD's that I used
    to get from Netflix. I switched over to Blockbuster, primarily for the
    free in store coupons for DVD rentals. Blockbuster's weekly free in
    store coupons make their offering a much better value than Netflix can
    offer. Plus, I've never received an unplayable DVD through the mail
    from Blockbuster which leads me to believe that Blockbuster is doing a
    much better job of Quality Assurance.

    One major problem with the Netflix website - the performance is simply
    unacceptable compared to Blockbuster Online.
    , Sep 19, 2006
  14. skip

    skip Guest

    wrote in news:1158641802.357471.310840
    @h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

    > Bob wrote:
    >> On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 18:35:54 GMT, Phisherman <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >When I started my account I used to get three envelopes
    >> >all at the same time. Now they arriving at different times of the
    >> >week. One time I got a cracked DVD which I reported as "damaged."
    >> >Netflix waited until they got the cracked DVD, waited several days,
    >> >then sent me an undamaged DVD. All of this took three weeks. You
    >> >would think Netflix would immediately send out another replacement
    >> >disc as soon as I reported it as damaged--they did not.

    >> I reported a cracked DVD and they sent a replacement right away,
    >> before they got the cracked one back.
    >>
    >> Maybe that was the only disc they had and so they had to get another
    >> one from another distribution center.
    >>

    >> --
    >>
    >> Rope, Tree, Journalist - some assembly required.

    > I'm amazed as to how many broken, cracked, unplayable DVD's that I used
    > to get from Netflix. I switched over to Blockbuster, primarily for the
    > free in store coupons for DVD rentals. Blockbuster's weekly free in
    > store coupons make their offering a much better value than Netflix can
    > offer. Plus, I've never received an unplayable DVD through the mail
    > from Blockbuster which leads me to believe that Blockbuster is doing a
    > much better job of Quality Assurance.
    >
    > One major problem with the Netflix website - the performance is simply
    > unacceptable compared to Blockbuster Online.

    The whole idea is not to run to the rental store . With blockbuster you
    still have to go to get the free films
    skip, Sep 19, 2006
  15. skip

    jwb Guest

    > wrote in news:1158641802.357471.310840
    > @h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:
    >

    >> Bob wrote:

    >> One major problem with the Netflix website - the performance is simply
    >> unacceptable compared to Blockbuster Online.
    >>

    > The whole idea is not to run to the rental store . With blockbuster you
    > still have to go to get the free films

    I'm kind of thinking that would be cool, though - sometimes it's nice to be
    able to browse the store.
    jwb, Sep 19, 2006
  16. skip

    Mark Jones Guest

    skip wrote:
    > The whole idea is not to run to the rental store . With blockbuster
    > you still have to go to get the free films

    I always go to Blockbuster and use my movie pass. 2 movies
    out at a time. It is only a little more than a mile away, so it is
    very convenient for me.
    Mark Jones, Sep 19, 2006
  17. skip

    Guest

    skip wrote:
    > wrote in news:1158641802.357471.310840
    > @h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:
    >

    > > Bob wrote:

    > >> I reported a cracked DVD and they sent a replacement right away,
    > >> before they got the cracked one back.
    > >>
    > >> Maybe that was the only disc they had and so they had to get another
    > >> one from another distribution center.
    > >>

    > >> --
    > >>
    > >> Rope, Tree, Journalist - some assembly required.

    > > I'm amazed as to how many broken, cracked, unplayable DVD's that I used
    > > to get from Netflix. I switched over to Blockbuster, primarily for the
    > > free in store coupons for DVD rentals. Blockbuster's weekly free in
    > > store coupons make their offering a much better value than Netflix can
    > > offer. Plus, I've never received an unplayable DVD through the mail
    > > from Blockbuster which leads me to believe that Blockbuster is doing a
    > > much better job of Quality Assurance.
    > >
    > > One major problem with the Netflix website - the performance is simply
    > > unacceptable compared to Blockbuster Online.
    > >

    > The whole idea is not to run to the rental store . With blockbuster you
    > still have to go to get the free films

    The cool thing about the Blockbuster Online service and the coupons is
    that if I'm in the mood for an action movie and all I've been sent
    through the mail is documentaries (for example), I can take my in store
    coupon and 'impluse' rent at my neighborhood Blockbuster. Cooler yet,
    is that one time I was late in returning a movie that I rented with my
    coupon and I got an automated phone call telling me that I was in my
    grace period. I quickly returned the movie and was NOT charged a late
    fee. Only Blockbuster Online can offer this value.

    Are there really more than 5 million customers at Netflix that just
    don't get it? Netflix customers must have enough money to throw down a
    rat hole because clearly Blockbuster Online offers the best value.
    , Sep 22, 2006