BLOCKBUSTER: This is truly goodbye

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Buttered Puppies Taste Yummy, Apr 3, 2004.

  1. Got a Rewards coupon in the mail last week. Decided to use it and get my
    free Non-New free video/dvd rental. Haven't been in a Blockbuster since
    September, when I made the switch to Netflix.

    Well, Blockbuster told me that I had a late fee and it was 3.95. I asked
    them what the late fee was for. The cashier said he was unable to give me
    that information because the account has been locked and put on hold. I
    said: 'Well, is it fair to expect me to pay for a late fee that you can't
    even tell me what it is over?'

    At this point another cashier comes over to help him. She takes a look at
    the computer. Apparently it's been over 180 days since I rented and the
    late-fee is now 180+ days outstanding. She then tells me: 'You'll have to
    call corporate headquarters, not this Monday but next (I don't know why I
    needed to wait 9 days) and get a form....because we can't even handle the
    late fee at this point. It's in our collections department.'

    I was very nice about it and I asked her: "Blockbuster has a collections
    department for late-fees?" Her reply: "Yes."

    I mean, I could see late fees if it went up into the hundreds of dollars,
    but we're talking about one film, at 3.95. Is it really WORTH THIS? Do you
    really need to employ people to collect on 3.95? So there was no way I was
    going to pay an old late fee of $3.95 just in order to get a film for "free"
    that I could've rented through Netflix anyway (and last month I had a total
    of 17 titles rented at $1.23 a pop).

    I didn't mention Netflix, but I did tell the two cashiers that I was not
    interested in going through all the red-tape Blockbuster was putting in
    front of me. So I left Blockbuster empty-handed.

    Now the truth is, yes a movie was late. I kept it an extra-day just as a
    "Screw you!" to Blockbuster because I knew I was going to stay with Netflix
    and would never go back. But I *thought* that maybe, just maybe, their
    recent mailer inviting me to come back in would provide them with a fresh
    opportunity to regain my business. I guess not.

    I am now completely through with Blockbuster. I will never entertain the
    thought of going back in. They truly have nothing I want that I can't get
    through Netflix. I'm watching new releases as well as older ones for tons
    less money. Blockbuster has nothing to offer me but headaches.
    ICEBREAKER
    "President Clinton was often known as the first black president. I wouldn't
    be upset if I could earn the right to be the second." - John Kerry

    "John Kerry is not a black man. He is a privileged white man who has no idea
    what it is... to be a poor white in this country, let alone a black man."
    Paula Diane Harris, Andrew Young National Center for Social Change.
    Buttered Puppies Taste Yummy, Apr 3, 2004

  2. Buttered Puppies Taste Yummy

    Biz Guest

    You're an idiot, especially if you knew you had an outstanding debt. Take
    100,000 people that each have 1 or more $3.95 late fee charges, now you have
    $395,000 in collections.
    "Buttered Puppies Taste Yummy" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Biz, Apr 3, 2004

  3. Buttered Puppies Taste Yummy

    Ollie T Guest

    Send them an e-mail. See what they have to say about it.

    HDTV games lists and discussions
    http://www.hdtvarcade.com

    Ollie T, Apr 3, 2004
  4. Buttered Puppies Taste Yummy

    JWB Guest

    "Buttered Puppies Taste Yummy" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    > Now the truth is, yes a movie was late. I kept it an extra-day just as a
    > "Screw you!" to Blockbuster because I knew I was going to stay with

    Netflix
    > and would never go back.

    But you did go back, and blockbuster got the last laugh.
    JWB, Apr 4, 2004
  5. Buttered Puppies Taste Yummy

    Cernovog Guest

    On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 18:12:10 -0400, Biz wrote
    (in message <_EGbc.17299$>):

    > You're an idiot, especially if you knew you had an outstanding debt.

    Yeah, but even if he wanted to pay that debt right there, in cash,
    immediately, he couldn't. Blockbuster has such an asinine system, he'd have
    to wade through more red tape than it could possibly be worth to both him and
    Blockbuster.

    He'd have to wait NINE DAYS. Call their corporate office (probably and 800
    number, but that would chop away at any money BB hopes to make on the late
    fee). Then what kind of arrangement could he make? Send them a check? For
    three bucks???

    Not worth it for either party involved.
    Cernovog, Apr 4, 2004
  6. Buttered Puppies Taste Yummy

    Dave Navarro Guest

    In article <_EGbc.17299$>,
    says...
    > You're an idiot, especially if you knew you had an outstanding debt. Take
    > 100,000 people that each have 1 or more $3.95 late fee charges, now you have
    > $395,000 in collections.

    You're right... It makes good business sense to pay someone $8/hour to
    collect $3.95. Not to mention all the money spent on notices, postage
    and getting a collection agency involved.

    I hope that Blockbuster continues such sound business sense. It would
    serve us all right if they went out of business and we couldn't grace
    their presence any longer.
    Dave Navarro, Apr 4, 2004
  7. "Dave Navarro" <> wrote in message
    > In article <_EGbc.17299$>,
    > says...
    > > You're an idiot, especially if you knew you had an outstanding debt.

    Take
    > > 100,000 people that each have 1 or more $3.95 late fee charges, now you

    have
    > > $395,000 in collections.

    > You're right... It makes good business sense to pay someone $8/hour to
    > collect $3.95. Not to mention all the money spent on notices, postage
    > and getting a collection agency involved.

    That person isn't getting paid $8 an hour to collect on $3.95. That is
    "ONE" late charge among many and I doubt it takes that person a whole hour
    to deal with it. With that logic, it doesn't make any sense to pay anyone
    at Blockbuster to collect money for a $3 rental since that one rental is
    less than their hourly rate.

    It doesn't make sense for each individual store to let late charges sit
    forever and maintain the collection of the amounts themselves. This one sat
    there for 6 months. The original poster knew what it was for, admits to,
    for some reason, intentionally turning it in late as a "screw you" to
    Blockbuster, thinking he'll never pay for it since he just won't go back,
    then, when they did get him back in the store with the promise of free
    stuff, complained when they called him on the late fee. If he hadn't gone
    back, he was eventually going to get a nasty letter from a collections
    agency and, possibly, that 3.95 going on a credit report. That really
    showed Blockbuster.
    Brandon Fisher, Apr 4, 2004
  8. On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 12:15:33 GMT, "Brandon Fisher"
    <> wrote:

    >"Dave Navarro" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <_EGbc.17299$>,
    >> says...
    >> > You're an idiot, especially if you knew you had an outstanding debt.

    >Take
    >> > 100,000 people that each have 1 or more $3.95 late fee charges, now you

    >have
    >> > $395,000 in collections.

    I don't think ANYONE here actually read the original post properly..
    And "Buttered Puppies" certainly is overlooking something.

    >At this point another cashier comes over to help him. She takes a look at
    >the computer. Apparently it's been over 180 days since I rented and the
    >late-fee is now 180+ days outstanding.

    It sounds like he returned the video one day late, but that
    Blockbuster NEVER booked in the film and thinks that he still has it,
    thus it's 180 DAYS late, not just one day at $3.95! I've had an
    outstanding one day late charge when I went back after a year when I
    didn't rent from Blockbuster. The account hadn't been locked out,
    there was no "Collection Agency" on my tail. They simply wanted the
    $3.95. And the title of the tardy return was listed against my
    balance.

    I suspect that the movie return was not credited to BP's account, even
    though he did return it That has also happened to me, I rented a
    Disney Beta tape (a long time ago) of "Lady and the Tramp" from Thorn
    video. I returned it on time the next day, dropping it on the counter
    and drawing the clerk's attention to it, and she acknowledged it. I
    went back a couple of days later to rent something else, the manager
    said I owed them the tape, I pointed to the female clerk who said to
    him "Yes he returned the tape and it was booked in". The manager said
    "Hmm, Ok." and said he'd fix the error. A YEAR later the
    "outstanding" rental was still on the system and I was still being
    asked to return or buy the Disney tape whenever I went in to rent
    something, and each time I had to explain that the tape was NEVER late
    and had been returned. This all ended when they went out of business.

    . Steve .
    Steve(JazzHunter), Apr 4, 2004
  9. Buttered Puppies Taste Yummy

    DigitalDeude Guest

    Buttered Puppies Taste Yummy wrote:

    > Got a Rewards coupon in the mail last week. Decided to use it and get my
    > free Non-New free video/dvd rental. Haven't been in a Blockbuster since
    > September, when I made the switch to Netflix.
    >
    > Well, Blockbuster told me that I had a late fee and it was 3.95. I asked
    > them what the late fee was for. The cashier said he was unable to give me
    > that information because the account has been locked and put on hold. I
    > said: 'Well, is it fair to expect me to pay for a late fee that you can't
    > even tell me what it is over?'

    Gee, I can't remember the last time I went to Blockbuster, summer of
    last year maybe. I've built up a good sized (though small compared to
    other people's collections) of about 80 DVD's. I let my friends borrow
    some of my DVD's at times and in turn I get to borrow theirs. Done this
    about a half a dozen times so far. The movies I really want to see I
    buy for myself, usually the week they come out to get the sales price,
    and toss them into the growing DVD collection. Picking up Matrix
    Revolution Tuesday :)
    DigitalDeude, Apr 4, 2004
  10. Buttered Puppies Taste Yummy

    Stan Brown Guest

    "Buttered Puppies Taste Yummy" <> wrote
    in alt.video.dvd:
    >Well, Blockbuster told me that I had a late fee and it was 3.95.

    [and after several irrelevant paragraphs the truth comes out: ]

    >Now the truth is, yes a movie was late. I kept it an extra-day just as a
    >"Screw you!" to Blockbuster because I knew I was going to stay with Netflix
    >and would never go back. But I *thought* that maybe, just maybe, their
    >recent mailer inviting me to come back in would provide them with a fresh
    >opportunity to regain my business. I guess not.

    Translation: You knew you owed them the money, but you thought you
    could get something _else_ for nothing. Yet you feel _you_ have a
    grievance?

    I hope they put that late fee on your credit report. It'll serve you
    right.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com
    Stan Brown, Apr 4, 2004
  11. Buttered Puppies Taste Yummy

    Jersey Ice Guest

    "Steve(JazzHunter)" <> wrote in message

    > I don't think ANYONE here actually read the original post properly..
    > And "Buttered Puppies" certainly is overlooking something.

    > It sounds like he returned the video one day late, but that
    > Blockbuster NEVER booked in the film and thinks that he still has it,
    > thus it's 180 DAYS late, not just one day at $3.95! I've had an
    > outstanding one day late charge when I went back after a year when I
    > didn't rent from Blockbuster. The account hadn't been locked out,
    > there was no "Collection Agency" on my tail. They simply wanted the
    > $3.95. And the title of the tardy return was listed against my
    > balance.

    I'll try to address that, and concerns posted elsewhere, in this response.

    I don't believe they have the film marked as being out for 180+ days. I
    believe that they've flagged the account simply because I "owe" them money
    and what I owe them is over 180 days late, coupled with the fact that there
    has been no activity on the account since September. If the movie itself
    were out, i'd expect that they would be charging me for the full value of
    the movie AND the late fee but they aren't.

    As for collection agencies and credit reports.....i'm not worried in the
    slightest that they would put a mark against my credit report over a $3.95
    bill because a) I don't think they would b) I don't think they could.
    Regarding what someone else said in a different response, I belive their
    collection agency is "in-house". They don't turn it over to an outside
    source. And if they do, I certainly haven't been getting any phone calls,
    emails or certified letters.

    Furthermore, the "screw you" I gave them by holding out the tape an extra
    day in the first place is a direct result of the crappy, shoddy treatment I
    had gotten in the past that had led me to finally abandoning Blockbuster and
    switching to Netflix.

    I pity the poor cashier who has to work there and deal with situations like
    this completely unarmed with facts. Both of them couldn't even tell me what
    the movie was that I had kept late. Whatsmore, late fees are simply
    generating revenue for Blockbuster. I could get into a long, drawn out
    debate about whether it's a good idea for Blockbuster to have a late fee
    system, but the bottom line is that it appears Blockbuster is becoming more
    and more dependent upon them as their own marketshare and revenue falls.

    Last month I was able to get 17 titles. I think that comes out to a $1.23
    per title, plus a one dollar flat state sales tax that applied to the whole
    month, not to each title. I saw some EXCELLENT titles such as Capturing the
    Friedmans and Pieces of April. Netflix also makes it affordable to see even
    bad films i.e. Cat In The Hat (I just fell asleep through that inpenetrable
    bore) and THE RUNDOWN (quite possibly the worst film of 2003, alongside
    Matrix Reloaded and Spy Kids 3-D). I will never go back to Blockbuster ever
    again. The service is shaky, the structure is pathetic, the choice in film
    is insulting, the prices are triple and quadruple what i'm paying with
    Netflix...the bottom line is that, for me, Blockbuster fails on every
    conceivable level when compared with Netflix. There's not a single, solitary
    advantage i've found to using Blockbuster. I even tore my card up last
    September, so they were having to use my drivers license when I walked in
    yesterday.

    I'm through. I'm out. I'm done with Blockbuster for good.

    Jersey Ice, Apr 4, 2004
  12. Who is to say tat they will take any action on this? They probably won't
    spend a dime going after this fee. Just because it's currently being handled
    by the collections dept. does not mean that will do all this. it simply
    means that the OP will need to speak to them about the payment.

    I have no doubt that they called and sent noticed to the OP about the debt
    and from what the OP stated, he/she probably ignored them, knowing full well
    that this late fee was owed. So now BB wants to be paid what they are owed
    before they will do more business with this person. Those dirty bastards!

    Todd Copeland, Apr 4, 2004
  13. Can I borrow it? :)

    Todd Copeland, Apr 4, 2004
  14. Buttered Puppies Taste Yummy

    DigitalDeude Guest

    Sure, which other ones do you want :)

    2 Fast 2 Furious
    Bad Boys II
    Behind Enemy Lines
    Blackhawk Down
    Bridge Too Far
    Bridge on the River Kwai
    Clear and Present Danger
    Collateral Damage
    Cross of Iron
    Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

    D-Day The 6th of June
    Das Boot
    El Mariachi/Desperado
    Enemy at the Gate
    Fast and The Furious
    Fistful of Dollars
    For a Few Dollars More
    Formula 51
    Full Metal Jacket
    Gladiator

    Good, Bad, Ugly
    Hamburger Hill
    Hart's War
    Heat
    Hunt for Red October
    K19
    Last Man Standing
    Lord of the Rings
    Lord of the Rings: Two Towers
    Man Apart

    Matrix
    Matrix Reloaded
    Midnight Clear
    Once Upon a Time In Mexico
    Once Upon A Time in the West
    Open Range
    Out for a Kill
    Patriot
    Patriot Games
    Peacemaker

    Pearl Harbor
    Planet of the Apes
    Platoon
    Pork Chop Hill
    Reservoir Dogs
    S.W.A.T.
    Saving Private Ryan
    Scarface
    Shanghai Noon
    Sniper

    Sniper 2
    Solaris
    South Park
    Spy Game
    Stalingrad
    Star Trek The Motion Picture
    Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan
    Star Trek III: Search For Spock
    Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
    Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

    Star Trek: Insurrection
    Star Trek: Nemesis
    Starship Troopers
    Sum of All Fears
    Tears of the Sun
    Terminator 2
    Terminator 3
    Thin Red Line
    Three Kings
    Tigerland

    Tombstone
    Transporter
    U-571
    Unforgiven
    We Were Soldiers
    Windtalkers
    XXX

    DigitalDeude, Apr 4, 2004
  15. On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 10:35:40 -0400, "Jersey Ice"
    <> wrote:

> [...]

    >Friedmans and Pieces of April. Netflix also makes it affordable to see even
    >bad films i.e. Cat In The Hat (I just fell asleep through that inpenetrable
    >bore) and THE RUNDOWN (quite possibly the worst film of 2003, alongside
    >Matrix Reloaded and Spy Kids 3-D). I will never go back to Blockbuster ever
    >again. The service is shaky, the structure is pathetic, the choice in film
    >is insulting, the prices are triple and quadruple what i'm paying with
    >Netflix...the bottom line is that, for me, Blockbuster fails on every
    >conceivable level when compared with Netflix. There's not a single, solitary
    >advantage i've found to using Blockbuster. I even tore my card up last
    >September, so they were having to use my drivers license when I walked in
    >yesterday.
    >
    >I'm through. I'm out. I'm done with Blockbuster for good.

    Actually I do all my DVD renting now from a Mom and Pop store.
    There's a consortium of such that have banded together locally under a
    numbered corporation to increase their buying power. The fellow buys
    some quite obscure titles and nealry always has the current biggies in
    stock. If I'm a bit late... it's shrugged off becasue they know me
    and that more often than not I return a title a day or two early. we
    don't have NetFlix in Canada but there is a new service I haven't
    tried yet.

    . Steve .

    Steve(JazzHunter), Apr 4, 2004
  16. Buttered Puppies Taste Yummy

    Jersey Ice Guest

    "Todd Copeland" <> wrote in message
    > Who is to say tat they will take any action on this? They probably won't
    > spend a dime going after this fee. Just because it's currently being

    handled
    > by the collections dept. does not mean that will do all this. it simply
    > means that the OP will need to speak to them about the payment.

    I will need to speak to them about the payment if I want to get it removed
    from my account, because Blockbuster will not allow the decison to be made
    at the store level at this point. It now comes from Corporate. The quick
    option here is to pay the late fee so that my account can be restored, but
    i'm not going to go back to their store after being invited to do so and
    spend 3.95 to erase a late fee just so I can then have the priviledge of
    getting a "free" , non-new (i.e. OLD) movie on DVD or VHS.

    > I have no doubt that they called and sent noticed to the OP about the debt
    > and from what the OP stated, he/she probably ignored them, knowing full

    well
    > that this late fee was owed.

    No, I did not ignore them. There was nothing to ignore. They never called.
    They never mailed me. The "debt" is inhouse.

    Collection agencies usually review a potential clients debts and then buy
    the debt at a reduced rate if they think they can make any money off of it.
    The big problem here though is that there is no actual "debt". I didn't
    borrow any money from Blockbuster. I don't have the DVD. What they want to
    charge me for is a punitive fine and almost no collection agency that I know
    of would ever bother itself to chase down phantom debt like that.

    If a collection agency tried to tackle the late fees for Blockbuster, they'd
    have to reduce the value of the debt from 20%-40%. Therefore, a debt package
    of $395,000.00 that includes 100,000 members owing 3.95 each would have to
    be marked down to $300,000 or less before a reputable collection agency
    would touch it. The chances of getting a collection agency to buy that
    "debt" is about as likely as France defending herself from foreign invaders.
    It's so miniscule that there would be no profit margin for a collection
    agency. Collection agencies are going to want to stagger out payments so
    they can charge interest. How do you stagger out a payment on $3.95?

    > So now BB wants to be paid what they are owed
    > before they will do more business with this person. Those dirty bastards!

    You're right. But you're also wrong. Technically, I do owe them 3.95. But
    the bigger picture here that BB needs to concern itself with is why they
    insist on using this archaic way of accounting when they are bleeding
    customers to Netflix. If you get fined for bringing a movie back late,
    shouldn't you get credit for bringing it back early? Hollywood Video did
    that last time I checked. Blockbuster can ill afford this kind of policy,
    seeing as how some of their stores are now going out of business and
    marketshare and revenue is dropping. Blockbuster has been too slow to
    respond to the changes in the market place and it seems like the ongoing
    issue with fines is just an example of how they've been focusing on all the
    wrong "problems".

    Jersey Ice, Apr 4, 2004
  17. Buttered Puppies Taste Yummy

    Jersey Ice Guest

    > Sure, which other ones do you want :)
    >
    > 2 Fast 2 Furious
    > Bad Boys II
    > Behind Enemy Lines
    > Blackhawk Down
    > Bridge Too Far
    > Bridge on the River Kwai
    > Clear and Present Danger
    > Collateral Damage
    > Cross of Iron
    > Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

    <SNIP>

    Sampling of what's in my collection:
    Married With Children (Season I and II of 2 available)
    Strangers With Candy (Season I and II of 2 available)
    Son of the Beach (Season I of 1 available)
    Alien Quadrilogy
    James Bond Collection Vols. 1, 2 and 3
    Die Another Day
    The Hulk