    Just wanted to let everyone know that the Blockbuster on line thing has good
    and bad spots.

    That's it.

    ng_reader, Jan 13, 2006

  2. I hear a lot of Blockbuster online bashing, but I haven't had any real
    problems over the last year. I realize Netflix is probably the better
    service, but Blockbuster gives you 2 free local rentals a month -- thus
    renting to Video Games ($8 + tax rental fee normally) almost pays for
    the account in itself.

    Turn around is normally 2 days (1 day there 1 day back) but sometimes
    takes a day or so extra, but no big deal. Most mainstream titles have
    short waits, but indies and other more obscure movies might take
    awhile.

    No service is perfect, but so far I've had pretty good luck with
    BBOnline. They also toss you freebies all the times, free previously
    viewed DVDs, etc. You get a coupon which you just take to your local
    blockbuster and bang, free movie. Nice bonus.

    = numsix
    = http://www.villagebbs.com

    Jack (www.villagebbs.com), Jan 13, 2006

  3. ng_reader

    Bob Guest

    On 13 Jan 2006 06:13:18 -0800, "Jack (www.villagebbs.com)"
    <> wrote:

    >I hear a lot of Blockbuster online bashing, but I haven't had any real
    >problems over the last year. I realize Netflix is probably the better
    >service, but Blockbuster gives you 2 free local rentals a month -- thus
    >renting to Video Games ($8 + tax rental fee normally) almost pays for
    >the account in itself.

    I do not play games nor do I intend to start just to make good on
    store coupons. However, my wife and daughter like first-runs so I give
    them the coupons.

    >Turn around is normally 2 days (1 day there 1 day back) but sometimes
    >takes a day or so extra, but no big deal. Most mainstream titles have
    >short waits, but indies

    WTF is an indie?

    >and other more obscure movies might take awhile.

    >No service is perfect, but so far I've had pretty good luck with
    >BBOnline. They also toss you freebies all the times, free previously
    >viewed DVDs, etc. You get a coupon which you just take to your local
    >blockbuster and bang, free movie. Nice bonus.

    What planet do you live on?

    --

    Violence Against Women and Department of Justice Reauthorization Act:

    "Whoever...utilizes any device or software that can be used to
    originate telecommunications or other types of communications that are
    transmitted, in whole or in part, by the Internet... without
    disclosing his identity and with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten, or
    harass any person...who receives the communications...shall be fined
    under title 18 or imprisoned not more than two years, or both."

    Bob, Jan 13, 2006
  4. ng_reader

    wunnuy Guest

    Jack (www.villagebbs.com) wrote:
    > I hear a lot of Blockbuster online bashing, but I haven't had any real
    > problems over the last year. I realize Netflix is probably the better
    > service, but Blockbuster gives you 2 free local rentals a month -- thus
    > renting to Video Games ($8 + tax rental fee normally) almost pays for
    > the account in itself.

    yeah. It's true, that's the one feature I liked with their service,
    although I can't stand going into BB stores. But the online service
    itself was so unbelievably awful it wasn't worth the freebies. There
    was one whole week where I literally had no movies out and all movies
    "available now" I got ahold of htem and they said I needed to have 30
    movies in my queue to which I asked what does it matter if I have 30 or
    3, if they say "available now" they should be shipped now. They just
    agreed that was correct and that was that.

    wunnuy, Jan 13, 2006
  5. ng_reader

    Tonester Guest

    "Jack (www.villagebbs.com)" <> wrote in message
    >I hear a lot of Blockbuster online bashing, but I haven't had any real
    > problems over the last year. I realize Netflix is probably the better
    > service, but Blockbuster gives you 2 free local rentals a month -- thus
    > renting to Video Games ($8 + tax rental fee normally) almost pays for
    > the account in itself.

    Actually, you can't rent games with the coupons anymore. Only movies.

    Tonester, Jan 13, 2006
  6. ng_reader

    Alpha Guest

    "Bob" <> wrote in message
    > On 13 Jan 2006 06:13:18 -0800, "Jack (www.villagebbs.com)"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>I hear a lot of Blockbuster online bashing, but I haven't had any real
    >>problems over the last year. I realize Netflix is probably the better
    >>service, but Blockbuster gives you 2 free local rentals a month -- thus
    >>renting to Video Games ($8 + tax rental fee normally) almost pays for
    >>the account in itself.

    > I do not play games nor do I intend to start just to make good on
    > store coupons. However, my wife and daughter like first-runs so I give
    > them the coupons.
    >
    >>Turn around is normally 2 days (1 day there 1 day back) but sometimes
    >>takes a day or so extra, but no big deal. Most mainstream titles have
    >>short waits, but indies

    > WTF is an indie?

    An independent film.

    Alpha, Jan 13, 2006

  7. > WTF is an indie?

    Bob, I thought we covered this. Google 'Independent Film'. Enjoy.

    > >and other more obscure movies might take awhile.

    > >No service is perfect, but so far I've had pretty good luck with
    > >BBOnline. They also toss you freebies all the times, free previously
    > >viewed DVDs, etc. You get a coupon which you just take to your local
    > >blockbuster and bang, free movie. Nice bonus.

    > What planet do you live on?

    I think that's more a question for you. Which part of that didn't you
    understand? Lets break it down:

    Blockbuster Online (The Rental Service we were talking about) gives its
    users 'freebies' (Items that don't cost anything, ie Free). They send
    you a coupon (little piece of paper) you take it to Blockbuster (boxy
    top object found on the street, blue sign says 'Blockbuster').

    We on the same page so far?

    You pick out a used movie that qualifies (meaning its part of the
    special), you take it and the coupon (piece of paper from before) to
    the counter. The lady takes both, hands you the DVD and bids you
    farewell. You take it home and stick it in your cup holder on your PC.
    Avoid sticking your head in the oven during this and it works out as a
    nice bonus.

    = numsix

    Jack (www.villagebbs.com), Jan 13, 2006

  8. > yeah. It's true, that's the one feature I liked with their service,
    > although I can't stand going into BB stores. But the online service
    > itself was so unbelievably awful it wasn't worth the freebies. There
    > was one whole week where I literally had no movies out and all movies
    > "available now" I got ahold of htem and they said I needed to have 30
    > movies in my queue to which I asked what does it matter if I have 30 or
    > 3, if they say "available now" they should be shipped now. They just
    > agreed that was correct and that was that.

    Now I'll admit they do some odd things. For example they sometimes ship
    disc 4 in my que even though say disc 2 also shows as available. I'm
    guessing sometimes if you have had a disc in your top 10 on wait, they
    probalby ship it as soon as possible otherwise the timing will always
    be off and you'll never get it. (For smaller films, etc.)

    I have a rediculous number of films in my que (100+) so i've never had
    a problem with them not shipping movies out. Usually i'll send it back
    on say monday, they'll recieve it on tuesday and ship out another which
    is usually recieve by wednesday. There are hiccups here and there, but
    thats mostly from the post office. Otherwise its been smooth. Like I
    said I'd imagine Netflix is the better service based on title selection
    alone, and the fact that blockbuster doesn't always stock 'unrated
    cuts' etc., but the 2 free local rentals and the occasionaly freebie
    keeps me happy with them.

    = numsix
    = http://www.villagebbs.com

    Jack (www.villagebbs.com), Jan 13, 2006

  9. > Actually, you can't rent games with the coupons anymore. Only movies.

    Since when? I just rented games a month ago. Just checked online my
    latest coupons still say "Movie or Game Rental E-Coupon". Where did you
    hear you couldn't rent games any longer?

    = numsix
    = http://813museum.villagebbs.com

    Jack (www.villagebbs.com), Jan 13, 2006
  10. ng_reader

    wunnuy Guest

    Jack (www.villagebbs.com) wrote:

    > I have a rediculous number of films in my que (100+) so i've never had
    > a problem with them not shipping movies out. Usually i'll send it back
    > on say monday, they'll recieve it on tuesday and ship out another which
    > is usually recieve by wednesday. There are hiccups here and there, but
    > thats mostly from the post office. Otherwise its been smooth. Like I
    > said I'd imagine Netflix is the better service based on title selection
    > alone, and the fact that blockbuster doesn't always stock 'unrated
    > cuts' etc., but the 2 free local rentals and the occasionaly freebie
    > keeps me happy with them.

    In the time I tried BB, I had 8 to 10 movies in my queue at all times.
    At one point all 8 said "available now" and they shipped the 8th movie
    out. At one point I had 8 movies with all "available now" and literally
    7 days went by without a movie being shipped, and I'm starting that
    seven days from when they received the movies I sent back, so it's
    actually longer if include the time I sent the oriignal disks back.
    Netflix is a bad service, but BB is actually worse. The ONLY two things
    BB has over Netflix are:

    1. quick turn around time with customer service questions (not that
    their replies are any good, they're awful). They actually give you the
    ability to ask a specific question. Netflix makes this as difficult as
    possible and it takes a week to respond.

    2. Two in store coupons, if you can stand having every employee go out
    of their way to greet you in the store (and the other things that are
    super annoying about their stores).

    wunnuy, Jan 13, 2006
  11. ng_reader

    >> Actually, you can't rent games with the coupons anymore. Only movies.

    > Since when? I just rented games a month ago. Just checked online my
    > latest coupons still say "Movie or Game Rental E-Coupon". Where did you
    > hear you couldn't rent games any longer?

    From Blockbuster..my coupons say 'movies only' on them. I tried to get games
    with them....no dice.

    Tonester, Jan 14, 2006
  12. Tonester wrote:
    > "Jack (www.villagebbs.com)" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >> Actually, you can't rent games with the coupons anymore. Only movies.

    > > Since when? I just rented games a month ago. Just checked online my
    > > latest coupons still say "Movie or Game Rental E-Coupon". Where did you
    > > hear you couldn't rent games any longer?

    > From Blockbuster..my coupons say 'movies only' on them. I tried to get games
    > with them....no dice.

    Perhaps its a regional thing, mine still say 'Movie or Game rental',
    and these are the one from a few days ago.

    = numsix

    Jack (www.villagebbs.com), Jan 14, 2006
  13. ng_reader

    > Tonester wrote:
    >> "Jack (www.villagebbs.com)" <> wrote in message

    >> > Since when? I just rented games a month ago. Just checked online my
    >> > latest coupons still say "Movie or Game Rental E-Coupon". Where did you
    >> > hear you couldn't rent games any longer?

    >> From Blockbuster..my coupons say 'movies only' on them. I tried to get
    >> games
    >> with them....no dice.

    > Perhaps its a regional thing, mine still say 'Movie or Game rental',
    > and these are the one from a few days ago.

    Here's what mine looks like:

    http://photobucket.com/albums/f169/chuckamuck/?action=view&current=coup1.jpg

    I used to rent games with them when I was a member last summer, but when I
    rejoined and tried to use the coupon they said the online coupons can no
    longer be used for games.

    Tonester, Jan 14, 2006
  14. Jack (www.villagebbs.com), Jan 14, 2006
  15. ng_reader

    >> Here's what mine looks like:
    >>
    >> http://photobucket.com/albums/f169/chuckamuck/?action=view&current=coup1.jpg
    >>
    >> I used to rent games with them when I was a member last summer, but when
    >> rejoined and tried to use the coupon they said the online coupons can no
    >> longer be used for games.

    > Looks like your region is getting hosed. I just checked my January 6th
    > printout and it still says 'Movie or Game'.

    Well that really sucks. No matter though, I cancelled Blockbuster and joined
    Netflix and Gamefly. Gamefly is like $21 a month, but I get 6-8 games each
    month which would cost around $70 at Blockbuster.

    Tonester, Jan 14, 2006
  16. > Well that really sucks. No matter though, I cancelled Blockbuster and joined
    > Netflix and Gamefly. Gamefly is like $21 a month, but I get 6-8 games each
    > month which would cost around $70 at Blockbuster.

    This is exactly why these online rental places are a huge YMMV. While
    everyone seems to hate Blockbuster and Love Gamefly, my experiences
    have been the opposite.

    I just canceled Gamefly after 2 months. It was horrible, 8-12 day turn
    around on games. One game was totally lost, another came in that
    plastic 'sorry we trashed your letter!' bag from USPS. Not Gameflys
    fault obviously, but thats 2 shipping issues in 2 months. I think those
    bright orange mailers with '$50 game inside!!!!' going cross country is
    just asking for trouble.

    Maybe when they get a distro on the east coast I'll give it another
    try. Until then I'll take my chances at Blockbuster B/M with my
    coupons.. even though the selection and availability sucks most of the
    time.

    = numsix
    = http://tac.villagebbs.com

    Jack (www.villagebbs.com), Jan 14, 2006
  17. ng_reader

    >> Well that really sucks. No matter though, I cancelled Blockbuster and
    >> joined
    >> Netflix and Gamefly. Gamefly is like $21 a month, but I get 6-8 games
    >> each
    >> month which would cost around $70 at Blockbuster.

    > This is exactly why these online rental places are a huge YMMV. While
    > everyone seems to hate Blockbuster and Love Gamefly, my experiences
    > have been the opposite.
    >
    > I just canceled Gamefly after 2 months. It was horrible, 8-12 day turn
    > around on games. One game was totally lost, another came in that
    > plastic 'sorry we trashed your letter!' bag from USPS. Not Gameflys
    > fault obviously, but thats 2 shipping issues in 2 months. I think those
    > bright orange mailers with '$50 game inside!!!!' going cross country is
    > just asking for trouble.
    >
    > Maybe when they get a distro on the east coast I'll give it another
    > try. Until then I'll take my chances at Blockbuster B/M with my
    > coupons.. even though the selection and availability sucks most of the
    > time.

    Yeah Gamefly does take a looong time which is why I only get 6-8 games a
    month. Of course it's only 2 out at a time also. I only do Gamefly every 3-4
    months just to get a few new Xbox games so it's not a huge deal. As long as
    Blockbuster's not getting the money makes it worth it to me :)

    Tonester, Jan 14, 2006
  18. ng_reader

    Alan Smithee Guest

    >> Actually, you can't rent games with the coupons anymore. Only movies.

    > Since when? I just rented games a month ago. Just checked online my
    > latest coupons still say "Movie or Game Rental E-Coupon". Where did you
    > hear you couldn't rent games any longer?
    >
    > = numsix
    > = http://813museum.villagebbs.com

    It seems like new members' e-coupons are just for movie rentals; but those
    who started their membership before this change still get them for both. A
    friend of mine and I both started our subscriptions at the same time. I
    cancelled mine, he kept his. I then got the $1 offer; so rejoined, but now
    my coupons are for movies only.

    Alan Smithee

    Alan Smithee, Jan 15, 2006
  19. ng_reader

    Luke Smith Guest

    i usually have really good experience with gamefly shipping me games in
    a timely fashion. and usually i only ship one game at a time, so i
    still have the other to play. the main reason i use it is it gives me
    a chance to play a game before i buy, and then i can get the game
    cheaper.

    right now i think nintendogs is my next game on the list, is this
    really worth playing??

    Luke Smith, Jan 24, 2006