    anyone else had a similar experience and if BB's setting themselves up
    for another lawsuit.

    , Apr 12, 2006

  2. wrote:

    > I just rented Narnia from a local Blockbuster and it had a "2-day
    > Rental" sticker on it. No problem, I understood that. But, after it
    > was rung up the cashier tells me to ignore the sticker and that the
    > rental was due back in 9 days. I said that was cool and left with my
    > dvd and receipt. When I got in the car, I read the receipt and saw
    > that the rental was due back in two days and that any movie not
    > returned in 7 days is turned into a dvd sale.
    >
    > Has anyone else had this experience? I initial thought it was a rude
    > employee having a "bit of fun", but since started wondering if BB was
    > trying a new trick to get higher profits.

    It's all there, in the fine print--
    (And well, at least you can't say it's "No more late fees"...) :)

    And I don't even *rent* BB, I just like to look at the ad disclaimers,
    to see what latest surreptitious indignities BB piles upon itself to win
    its fading glory back away from Netflix.

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Apr 12, 2006

  3. TB Guest

    "Derek Janssen" wrote:

    >> I just rented Narnia from a local Blockbuster and it had a "2-day
    >> Rental" sticker on it. No problem, I understood that. But, after it
    >> was rung up the cashier tells me to ignore the sticker and that the
    >> rental was due back in 9 days. I said that was cool and left with my
    >> dvd and receipt. When I got in the car, I read the receipt and saw
    >> that the rental was due back in two days and that any movie not
    >> returned in 7 days is turned into a dvd sale.
    >>
    >> Has anyone else had this experience? I initial thought it was a rude
    >> employee having a "bit of fun", but since started wondering if BB was
    >> trying a new trick to get higher profits.

    > It's all there, in the fine print--
    > (And well, at least you can't say it's "No more late fees"...) :)
    >
    > And I don't even *rent* BB, I just like to look at the ad disclaimers, to
    > see what latest surreptitious indignities BB piles upon itself to win its
    > fading glory back away from Netflix.

    I'd guess the misinformation was more due to the ineptitude of the clueless
    BB drone. It was probably AJ Soprano (who gets fired from BB in a later
    Sopranos episode this season, heh!)

    T.B.

    TB, Apr 12, 2006
  4. Jericho Guest

    Naw, I'm certain it was deliberate. If it was ineptitude, there'd be
    some leeway in the statement that I could doubt. But the statement of
    "9 days" doesn't come up anywhere else and is just past the 7 day sale
    clause, so I'm certain it was said on purpose. Now whether it was
    individual rudeness or corporate (or local business) trickery, that's
    the question at hand.

    ---------------------------------- TB (4-7-06 2:49)

    Jericho, Apr 12, 2006
  5. Jericho wrote:
    > Naw, I'm certain it was deliberate. If it was ineptitude, there'd be
    > some leeway in the statement that I could doubt. But the statement of
    > "9 days" doesn't come up anywhere else and is just past the 7 day sale
    > clause, so I'm certain it was said on purpose. Now whether it was
    > individual rudeness or corporate (or local business) trickery, that's
    > the question at hand.

    Am I missing something? The original poster has 7 days past their
    initial 2 days (for a total of 9 days like the employee said) on the
    rental before being charged extra.

    Nicholas Andrade, Apr 12, 2006
  6. Jericho Guest

    Perhaps I don't understand something. If the dvd is a two-day rental,
    is it due back in two days, whereby anything after the two days creates
    a late fee (I'm not in any of BB's special programs)? Or is there a
    grace period up to the nine days, with no late fee, but if you go past
    that you've bought the dvd, whether you wanted to or not? If this is
    the case, I'll accept employee ineptitude and stay alert.

    BTW, I'm the original poster, but Google Groups keeps switching my name
    between name and email addr - sorry for the confusion.

    -----------------------Nicholas Andrade (4-12--6)

    Jericho, Apr 12, 2006
  7. Neither...

    The employee was including the 7 day "grace period" you have AFTER its
    due date.

    Why the employee volunteered that information is not normal, as they
    usually don't mention the grace period unless confronted with "But I
    thought you don't have late fees anymore?".

    Guy Incognito

    Guy Incognito, Apr 12, 2006
  8. Jericho wrote:

    > Perhaps I don't understand something. If the dvd is a two-day rental,
    > is it due back in two days, whereby anything after the two days creates
    > a late fee (I'm not in any of BB's special programs)? Or is there a
    > grace period up to the nine days, with no late fee, but if you go past
    > that you've bought the dvd, whether you wanted to or not? If this is
    > the case, I'll accept employee ineptitude and stay alert.

    Probably even confused the employee--
    BB's online-envy can rename their rentals anything they like, but two
    days is still two days, and nine days is still a sale.

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Apr 12, 2006
  9. Jericho wrote:
    > Perhaps I don't understand something. If the dvd is a two-day rental,
    > is it due back in two days, whereby anything after the two days creates
    > a late fee (I'm not in any of BB's special programs)? Or is there a
    > grace period up to the nine days, with no late fee, but if you go past
    > that you've bought the dvd, whether you wanted to or not? If this is
    > the case, I'll accept employee ineptitude and stay alert.
    >
    > BTW, I'm the original poster, but Google Groups keeps switching my name
    > between name and email addr - sorry for the confusion.

    According to their web site (http://tinyurl.com/gsev3), their policy is
    as follows:

    << Membership rules apply for rentals. Rentals are due back at the
    date and time stated on the transaction receipt. There is no additional
    rental charge if a member keeps a rental item up to 7 days beyond the
    pre-paid rental period. After 7 days beyond the due date, Blockbuster
    will automatically convert the rental to a purchase on the 8th day and
    will charge the member the selling price for the item in effect at the
    time of the rental, minus the rental fee paid. Member then has 30 days
    to return the product and receive a credit for the selling price
    charged, less a $1.25 restocking fee. These terms available at
    participating stores only. Franchisee restocking fees may vary. See
    store or blockbuster.com for complete terms and conditions. >>

    So basically you have your rental period plus seven days for any movie
    before you get charged for anything. In your case, you had a 2 day
    rental and a 7 day grace period, so in other words you have 9 total
    days. I don't rent from BB, but I interpret their policy the same way
    the employee seems to, that any rental with a 2-day sticker is
    essentially a 9 day rental. Now I agree it's stupid for an employee to
    tell a customer that, but I don't think there was any malintent.

    Nicholas Andrade, Apr 13, 2006
  10. Black Locust Guest

    In article <>,
    Derek Janssen <> wrote:

    > And I don't even *rent* BB, I just like to look at the ad disclaimers,
    > to see what latest surreptitious indignities BB piles upon itself to win
    > its fading glory back away from Netflix.

    Wow. What planet have you been living on for the past 6 months Derek?
    The only thing fading away is Netflix with their throttling, frivolous
    lawsuits and TERRIBLE customer service. They better enjoy the measily 4
    million subscribers they have right now because I predict they're gonna
    lose at least a million of them this year alone. Subscriber growth is
    coming to an end for this sleazy company.

    Black Locust, Apr 13, 2006
  11. Black Locust Guest

    In article <>,
    "Jericho" <> wrote:

    > Perhaps I don't understand something. If the dvd is a two-day rental,
    > is it due back in two days, whereby anything after the two days creates
    > a late fee (I'm not in any of BB's special programs)? Or is there a
    > grace period up to the nine days, with no late fee, but if you go past
    > that you've bought the dvd, whether you wanted to or not? If this is
    > the case, I'll accept employee ineptitude and stay alert.

    Why do you not still not understand "the end of late fees?" This has
    been the policy in all of their corporate stores for well over a year
    now. The employee was infact telling you the truth when he said you
    could keep it for 9 days without a charge. It's a "2-day" rental because
    they WANT you to return it in 2 days, but they won't charge you a late
    fee if you don't. Here, just read this. Should answer all your questions.

    http://tinyurl.com/gokxx

    Black Locust, Apr 13, 2006
  12. Jericho Guest

    Thank you very much. This reply was very clear and I understand
    completely. I'm also very happy to be wrong about the employee being
    mean or incompetent. Thank you for clearing this up for me.

    Jericho, Apr 13, 2006
  13. Jericho Guest

    -------------------------Nicholas Andrade

    Jericho, Apr 13, 2006
  14. Jericho Guest

    Perhaps the fact that I haven't rented anything for well over a year
    might have something to do with it. I have also avoided listening to
    endless advertisement or reading endless spam. Thank you for the link.
    ---------------------------Black Locust

    Jericho, Apr 13, 2006
  15. GMAN Guest

    In article <>, "Jericho" <> wrote:
    >Perhaps I don't understand something. If the dvd is a two-day rental,
    >is it due back in two days, whereby anything after the two days creates
    >a late fee (I'm not in any of BB's special programs)? Or is there a
    >grace period up to the nine days, with no late fee, but if you go past
    >that you've bought the dvd, whether you wanted to or not? If this is
    >the case, I'll accept employee ineptitude and stay alert.

    The employees at BB, when you end up having to purchase the disk due to not
    returning it, get a cut of the purchase cost. Had a friend who worked there.

    GMAN, Apr 14, 2006
  16. Black Locust <> wrote in

    > In article <>,
    > Derek Janssen <> wrote:
    >
    >> And I don't even *rent* BB, I just like to look at the ad
    >> disclaimers, to see what latest surreptitious indignities BB piles
    >> upon itself to win its fading glory back away from Netflix.

    > Wow. What planet have you been living on for the past 6 months Derek?
    > The only thing fading away is Netflix with their throttling,

    Netflix throttles? Come on, do you have proof of this?

    --

    Aaron "Throwing rocks at the beehive" Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.dvdverdict.com

    Aaron J. Bossig, Apr 15, 2006
  17. Aaron J. Bossig wrote:
    > Black Locust <> wrote in
    >

    >>In article <>,
    >> Derek Janssen <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>And I don't even *rent* BB, I just like to look at the ad
    >>>disclaimers, to see what latest surreptitious indignities BB piles
    >>>upon itself to win its fading glory back away from Netflix.

    >>Wow. What planet have you been living on for the past 6 months Derek?
    >>The only thing fading away is Netflix with their throttling,

    > Netflix throttles? Come on, do you have proof of this?

    They've admitted it. See "How does Netflix process and ship DVDs?" on
    <http://www.netflix.com/FAQ?faqtrkid=1&p_search_text=shipping&srch.x=0&srch.y=0>

    --
    Evelyn C. Leeper
    Life is all memory, except for the one present moment that goes

    Evelyn C. Leeper, Apr 16, 2006
  18. AZ Nomad Guest

    On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 21:39:17 -0400, Evelyn C. Leeper <> wrote:

    >Aaron J. Bossig wrote:
    >> Black Locust <> wrote in

    >>>Wow. What planet have you been living on for the past 6 months Derek?
    >>>The only thing fading away is Netflix with their throttling,

    >> Netflix throttles? Come on, do you have proof of this?

    >They've admitted it. See "How does Netflix process and ship DVDs?" on
    ><http://www.netflix.com/FAQ?faqtrkid=1&p_search_text=shipping&srch.x=0&srch.y=0>

    The only thing they admitted is to having finite inventory.

    AZ Nomad, Apr 16, 2006
  19. AZ Nomad wrote:

    > On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 21:39:17 -0400, Evelyn C. Leeper <> wrote:
    >

    >>Aaron J. Bossig wrote:
    >>
    >>>Black Locust <> wrote in

    >>>Netflix throttles? Come on, do you have proof of this?

    >>They've admitted it. See "How does Netflix process and ship DVDs?" on
    >><http://www.netflix.com/FAQ?faqtrkid=1&p_search_text=shipping&srch.x=0&srch.y=0>

    > The only thing they admitted is to having finite inventory.

    "These effects will not occur unless we are faced with limited inventory
    at your local distribution center or when the number of shipments to be
    processed by that distribution center on that day is exceeded. In
    determining priority for shipping and inventory allocation, we may
    utilize many different factors such as the number and type of DVDs you
    rent through our service, the subscription plan you select, and other
    uses of our service by you. For example, if all other factors are the
    same, we give priority to those members who receive the fewest DVDs
    through our service."

    In other words, they also have a limited number of shipments from each
    warehouse.

    Evelyn C. Leeper, Apr 16, 2006
  20. Jeff Rife Guest

    Evelyn C. Leeper () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > > The only thing they admitted is to having finite inventory.
    > >

    > "These effects will not occur unless we are faced with limited inventory
    > at your local distribution center or when the number of shipments to be
    > processed by that distribution center on that day is exceeded. In
    > determining priority for shipping and inventory allocation, we may
    > utilize many different factors such as the number and type of DVDs you
    > rent through our service, the subscription plan you select, and other
    > uses of our service by you. For example, if all other factors are the
    > same, we give priority to those members who receive the fewest DVDs
    > through our service."
    >
    > In other words, they also have a limited number of shipments from each
    > warehouse.

    I think you are reading in to that too much. The number of shipments
    isn't fixed at some abitrary number for each warehouse.

    They don't suddenly hit 100 shipments (for example) from a warehouse and
    say "that's all, guys...close down for today". What they were trying to
    express is that they have a finite number of employees and limited working
    hours, and processing a shipment takes a non-zero amount of time. At
    some point, people go home for the day and there is nobody left to ship
    from that center.

    So, in order to deal with finite resources, they sort the requests by a
    method where the final sort item is the number DVDs received this month.

    --
    Jeff Rife |

    Jeff Rife, Apr 16, 2006