    releases?

    Thank you very much in advance.
    , Nov 23, 2005

  2. Irulan Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have been a subscriber of netflix for years, but recently their delay
    > tactics is getting unbearable. There are delays in every aspect:
    > acknowledging return, from queue to outbox, shipping from outbox etc.
    > I estimate that I am getting 5-8 fewer rentals per month compared to
    > the past. Of course, they only do that to old subscribers and the
    > people who return the rental quickly.
    > I am considering switching to blockbuster instead. Could some current
    > BB subscribers tell me the followings:
    >
    > (1) How many distribution centers does it have?
    > (2) What kind of turnaround times can be expected?
    > (3) Does it look like they have enough copies of non-mainstream
    > releases?
    >
    > Thank you very much in advance.

    I subscribe to both. Blockbuster is even slower than Netflix, at least in my
    experience. And they list tons of dvds as being on their site but once you
    add it to your queue it comes up Very Long Wait or Coming Soon, which means
    they ain't got it. It's no better than Netflix, and in some cases worst.

    --

    Irulan
    from the stars we come

    Irulan, Nov 23, 2005

  3. Large Farva Guest

    From my experience Blockbuster is quite a bit slower than Netflix.

    Large Farva, Nov 23, 2005
  4. Greta xxx Guest

    There are a number of DVD rental companies that offer lengthy free
    offers, so try before you subscribe. This site -
    http://www.rabid.oneuk.com/dvd.html has a link to a 30 day free trail
    (3 dvds at a time) with Sainsburys.
    Greta xxx, Nov 23, 2005
  5. Flarky Guest

    Can't you Blockbuster marketing people think of a better
    way to promote your product?
    Flarky, Nov 24, 2005
  6. Guest

    I suppose your post refers to me, the original poster.
    So along your line of thinking, I can conclude that you work for the
    marketing for Netflix?

    Could the other people give more specific data in terms of turnaround
    times? Your experience may not be the same as mine.
    Looking at my Netflix records, they sent me 10 titles during the first
    3 weeks of november,
    that is despite that I always return the rental the following day and
    only live 15 miles from
    their distribution center (one day mail trip).

    Flarky wrote:
    > Can't you Blockbuster marketing people think of a better
    > way to promote your product?
    , Nov 24, 2005
  7. Alpha Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I suppose your post refers to me, the original poster.
    > So along your line of thinking, I can conclude that you work for the
    > marketing for Netflix?
    >
    > Could the other people give more specific data in terms of turnaround
    > times? Your experience may not be the same as mine.
    > Looking at my Netflix records, they sent me 10 titles during the first
    > 3 weeks of november,
    > that is despite that I always return the rental the following day and
    > only live 15 miles from
    > their distribution center (one day mail trip).
    >

    > Flarky wrote:
    >> Can't you Blockbuster marketing people think of a better
    >> way to promote your product?

    My experience is that almost always the post office is the problem. And it
    can be a big problem.
    Alpha, Nov 25, 2005
  8. Cp33 Guest

    Actually, I am not sure the post office is the culprit.
    First, it's very different from the past in terms of turn around time.
    Before they started the delay tactics, I was able to get 20 +/- a few
    titles a month (Now it's more like 13-14 a month). Besides, the delay
    is not just in mailing. I can also see delays in transfering from my
    queue to the outbox (as well as from outbox to actual mailing).
    Netflix have official statement saying that the rule is now giving the
    priority to people who receive fewer titles (slower turnaround)
    subscribers when they distribute available titles. However, it's only
    an excuse from my observation. It's because the priority disadvantage
    should be able to be OFFSET if you add more titles to your queue. In
    other words, if you have more AVAILABLE titles in your queue you should
    still get a title to your outbox quickly. This is just the law of
    probability. From my observation, that's not the case. I can see many
    "available" titles in the queue, but none transferred to the outbox,
    and those titles stay in that available state for a while.
    I think they do have some tricks in their software to add some "delays"
    to the whole operations, but did not state it officially, as that will
    make those quick turnaround subscribers unhappy.
    Well, I don't blame Netflix as it has been losing money in the past. I
    wish they hadn't reduced their price but reduced their service in a
    secret way.
    Cp33, Nov 25, 2005