    Blockbuster Online Denies 'Throttling'
    Author: ERIK GRUENWEDEL

    Citing consumer inquiries on the matter, Blockbuster Online, the
    Internet-based subscription rental unit of Blockbuster Inc., March 2
    reiterated that it does not ³throttle,² or limit the number of movies
    shipped to frequent customers.

    The announcement comes on the heels of media scrutiny involving online
    rental pioneer Netflix, which is poised to settle a class-action lawsuit
    alleging false advertising, unfair and deceptive trade practices, and
    breach of contract regarding DVD delivery times.

    ³Blockbuster Online does not throttle,² said Shane Evangelist, SVP and
    GM for Blockbuster Online. ³We don't prioritize our customers'
    movie-fulfillment based on how often they use our service, and we don't
    limit the number of movies a subscriber receives each month. We want our
    customers to get the full entertainment value that comes from a
    subscription plan, whether that's watching 20-plus movies a month or
    five.²

    Online subscribers also receive a free in-store movie rental each week,
    which Evangelist said allows them to ³satisfy² short-notice rental
    impulses at Blockbuster retail locations.

    http://www.homemediaretailing.com/news/html/breaking_article.cfm?article_
    id=8723
    Black Locust, Mar 3, 2006

  2. Black Locust

    wunnuy Guest

    Black Locust wrote:
    > Or at least that's what they're claiming...
    >

    > Blockbuster Online Denies 'Throttling'
    > Author: ERIK GRUENWEDEL

    > Citing consumer inquiries on the matter, Blockbuster Online, the
    > Internet-based subscription rental unit of Blockbuster Inc., March 2
    > reiterated that it does not ³throttle,² or limit the number of movies
    > shipped to frequent customers.

    Well I don't know what they want to call it, but their service is
    actually worse than Netflix. I tried it for a month. There was one
    period where I had seven movies in my queue for a whole week (starting
    from when my other movies had been returned and recieved by them) where
    I had zero movies out. Finally I called and asked "why has a whole week
    went by with no movies being sent when I've got seven movies in my
    queue and every single one is available now?" The guy said "you should
    have 30 movies in your queue to make sure you've always got available
    movies." I told him what does it matter if I have 3 or 300, if they all
    say available now they should be sent now. He agreed and had no excuse.
    I let the free month finish out and did not renew. Worst. Service.Ever.
    wunnuy, Mar 3, 2006

  3. Black Locust

    Sacramentan Guest

    "wunnuy" <> wrote in news:1141406451.975686.226530
    @z34g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

    > Black Locust wrote:
    >> Or at least that's what they're claiming...
    >>

    >> Blockbuster Online Denies 'Throttling'
    >> Author: ERIK GRUENWEDEL

    >> Citing consumer inquiries on the matter, Blockbuster Online, the
    >> Internet-based subscription rental unit of Blockbuster Inc., March 2
    >> reiterated that it does not ³throttle,² or limit the number of movies
    >> shipped to frequent customers.
    >>

    > Well I don't know what they want to call it, but their service is
    > actually worse than Netflix. I tried it for a month. There was one
    > period where I had seven movies in my queue for a whole week (starting
    > from when my other movies had been returned and recieved by them) where
    > I had zero movies out. Finally I called and asked "why has a whole week
    > went by with no movies being sent when I've got seven movies in my
    > queue and every single one is available now?" The guy said "you should
    > have 30 movies in your queue to make sure you've always got available
    > movies." I told him what does it matter if I have 3 or 300, if they all
    > say available now they should be sent now. He agreed and had no excuse.
    > I let the free month finish out and did not renew. Worst. Service.Ever.

    I think it might be the luck of the draw and/or your proximity to a
    shipping hub. I've had very steady Blockbuster service in the Sacramento,
    CA area for 6 months, with only one incoming DVD "lost" in the mail. They
    have seemed quite forthright, even sending random emails asking when a
    specific disk was received. I am using their cheapest 1-out plan.

    Blockbuster has the added advantage of two free in-store coupon rentals per
    month and the occasional free used DVD. I quit Netflix after a bad streak
    of delays, which I may have unfairly blamed on Netflix vs. postal theft
    (but maybe not). Netflix had been good until I switched to their cheapest
    plan, so throttling was my first guess. But I don't think any one
    disgruntled user can give the last word on service quality.

    Sacramentan

    Sacramentan, Mar 3, 2006
  4. Black Locust

    wunnuy Guest

    Sacramentan wrote:
    > "wunnuy" <> wrote in news:1141406451.975686.226530
    >> Blockbuster has the added advantage of two free in-store coupon rentals per

    > month and the occasional free used DVD. I quit Netflix after a bad streak
    > of delays, which I may have unfairly blamed on Netflix vs. postal theft
    > (but maybe not). Netflix had been good until I switched to their cheapest
    > plan, so throttling was my first guess. But I don't think any one
    > disgruntled user can give the last word on service quality.

    BB's service was awful and I live in LA so there should be a close by
    center here for movies, but with that said, the one good thing they
    have is in store coupons (I never used them, I hate going into BB but
    it was still a nice thing to offer). I just can't stand BB stores.
    wunnuy, Mar 3, 2006
  5. Black Locust

    Guest

    Do you garggle any mouthwash between fellating Blockbuster execs, or do
    they prefer you to stay dirty, whore?

    Black Locust wrote:
    > Or at least that's what they're claiming...
    >

    > Blockbuster Online Denies 'Throttling'
    > Author: ERIK GRUENWEDEL

    > Citing consumer inquiries on the matter, Blockbuster Online, the
    > Internet-based subscription rental unit of Blockbuster Inc., March 2
    > reiterated that it does not ³throttle,² or limit the number of movies
    > shipped to frequent customers.
    >
    > The announcement comes on the heels of media scrutiny involving online
    > rental pioneer Netflix, which is poised to settle a class-action lawsuit
    > alleging false advertising, unfair and deceptive trade practices, and
    > breach of contract regarding DVD delivery times.
    >
    > ³Blockbuster Online does not throttle,² said Shane Evangelist, SVP and
    > GM for Blockbuster Online. ³We don't prioritize our customers'
    > movie-fulfillment based on how often they use our service, and we don't
    > limit the number of movies a subscriber receives each month. We want our
    > customers to get the full entertainment value that comes from a
    > subscription plan, whether that's watching 20-plus movies a month or
    > five.²
    >
    > Online subscribers also receive a free in-store movie rental each week,
    > which Evangelist said allows them to ³satisfy² short-notice rental
    > impulses at Blockbuster retail locations.
    >

    > http://www.homemediaretailing.com/news/html/breaking_article.cfm?article_
    > id=8723
    > --
    > "Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we.
    > They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people,
    > and neither do we." - George Dumbya Bush
    , Mar 3, 2006
  6. Black Locust

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <>,
    wrote:

    > Do you garggle any mouthwash between fellating Blockbuster execs, or do
    > they prefer you to stay dirty, whore?

    AOL and top posting? How 1995 of you...
    Black Locust, Mar 6, 2006
  7. Black Locust

    frogger90 Guest

    >BB's service was awful and I live in LA so there should be a close by
    >center here for movies, but with that said, the one good thing they
    >have is in store coupons (I never used them, I hate going into BB but
    >it was still a nice thing to offer). I just can't stand BB stores.

    I've had Blockbuster for almost 2 months now with no problems. They
    usually ship DVDs the day after it is received. Anyhow, I'm an
    EX-Netflix user and find the BB service is much more fair. We get 1
    free in-store rental each week and sometimes trek in to get a new
    release that is in high demand.

    Considering it's the same price and Netflix, only I can receive more
    movies due to it not being throttled, I am very happy. -- Also keep
    getting notices that Blockbuster will be updating their online
    interface soon. Too bad there wasn't some way of automatically porting
    over my Netflix queue.
    frogger90, Mar 23, 2006
  8. Black Locust

    wunnuy Guest

    frogger90 wrote:

    > Considering it's the same price and Netflix, only I can receive more
    > movies due to it not being throttled, I am very happy. -- Also keep
    > getting notices that Blockbuster will be updating their online
    > interface soon. Too bad there wasn't some way of automatically porting
    > over my Netflix queue.

    I had BB for one month and it made Netflix look like the greatest
    service in history of Earth. The instore coupons are a great perk, but
    the service was absolutely awfu. There was literally one whole week
    where I had no movies out. I had seven movies in my queue all
    "available now" and when I asked them why nothing was being sent they
    said "you should have at least 30 movies in your queue to ensure
    there's always soemthing available." I told him "what does it matter if
    I have 3 or 300, if they ALL say available now, shoudln't have I have
    three movies in the mail then" to which he paused and said "you're
    right."
    wunnuy, Mar 23, 2006
  9. Black Locust

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <>,
    "wunnuy" <> wrote:

    > I had BB for one month and it made Netflix look like the greatest
    > service in history of Earth. The instore coupons are a great perk, but
    > the service was absolutely awfu. There was literally one whole week
    > where I had no movies out. I had seven movies in my queue all
    > "available now" and when I asked them why nothing was being sent they
    > said "you should have at least 30 movies in your queue to ensure
    > there's always soemthing available." I told him "what does it matter if
    > I have 3 or 300, if they ALL say available now, shoudln't have I have
    > three movies in the mail then" to which he paused and said "you're
    > right."

    I looked into this for you wunnuy and the only reasonable explaination I
    was given by BB Online users is this is believe or not, Blockbuster's
    way of getting movies out to you as quickly as advertised(in otherwords
    1 to 2 business days). Apparently if a movie in your queue is not
    available from your nearest distribution warehouse, they'll send the
    next movie on your list that is instead. This is why they recommend you
    always have at least 30 titles in your queue. Admittedly this is pretty
    fucking lame and the movie shouldn't say "available now" when it really
    isn't. I suspect that's likely a result of their software, which is
    reported to still have a lot of problems. But at least Blockbuster cares
    about getting your movies to you quickly, unlike Netflix who will leave
    you sitting there for days on end and not even give a shit.

    Both services suck shit, but I'd say Blockbuster is still the overall
    better value with the free in-store rentals and no throttling(or so they
    claim). Right now it isn't really a fair fight though since Blockbuster
    has only been in the online business for a couple of years. Netflix on
    the other hand has had 7 years to perfect it. If Blockbuster can improve
    their software and general warehouse inventory, I think they stand a
    good chance at kicking Netflix's ass this year.

    On a side note: Online renting is overrated crap IMO. Sure, going to the
    video store is no picnic either(crappy selection, long lines, clerks
    always bugging you to buy some candy and popcorn when you don't want
    any...), but it's still better than dealing with all the hassles and
    complications that coming with renting online(throttling, missing discs,
    paying a monthly fee to rent movies, etc.) if you ask me. This is why
    90% of the renting population still does it the old fashioned brick &
    mortar way.
    Black Locust, Mar 24, 2006
  10. Black Locust

    wunnuy Guest

    Black Locust wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > >

    > I looked into this for you wunnuy and the only reasonable explaination I
    > was given by BB Online users is this is believe or not, Blockbuster's
    > way of getting movies out to you as quickly as advertised(in otherwords
    > 1 to 2 business days). Apparently if a movie in your queue is not
    > available from your nearest distribution warehouse, they'll send the
    > next movie on your list that is instead. This is why they recommend you
    > always have at least 30 titles in your queue. Admittedly this is pretty
    > fucking lame and the movie shouldn't say "available now" when it really
    > isn't. I suspect that's likely a result of their software, which is
    > reported to still have a lot of problems. But at least Blockbuster cares
    > about getting your movies to you quickly, unlike Netflix who will leave
    > you sitting there for days on end and not even give a shit.

    I'm not following. I understand why they want you to have 30 movies but
    if the movies in your queue say "available now" they should be sent.
    When I had BB, I had all old movies, stuff that there was no way they
    couldn't have an available copy, like Cincinnati Kid and Alice Doesn't
    Live here Anymore, stuff like that. The week when I had an empty queue
    as far as movies out, I had seven movies in my queuue, all available.
    None were "short wait" or "long wait." I never saw any evidence of BB
    trying to get movies out quickly. But you do have a point with their
    coupons, though, that's one thing they have over Netflix. Coupons and
    the ability to get ahold of someone in "customer service." Netflix
    doesn't want you talking to anyone at their company. I probably emailed
    BB three times and called three times during my month with them. The
    service was awful, but you could get ahold of them.
    wunnuy, Mar 24, 2006
  11. Black Locust

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <>,
    "wunnuy" <> wrote:

    > I'm not following. I understand why they want you to have 30 movies but
    > if the movies in your queue say "available now" they should be sent.

    I totally agree. This is obviously a huge problem. Like I said, I
    suspect it's a bug in their software that's the culprit here. I've had
    this confirmed by several BB Online subscribers. They've told me as long
    as they have a good 50 or 60 titles in their queue, Blockbuster will
    always mail 3(or whatever, depending on the plan they're on) discs out
    promptly, but in the process they'll often skip over movies higher up in
    the queue even if they say "now available." It's a trade-off, but I'd
    say it's still better than being blatantly throttled by Netflix. Netflix
    has vastly superior software, but what good is it when they purposely
    sit on your next batch of DVDs for several days?

    Hackingnetflix.com reports Blockbuster is doing an overhaul of some
    sorts to their software later this Spring, so hopefully they'll get this
    problem fixed in the process. Like you said, it shouldn't matter if you
    have 2 or 200 movies in your queue. If they say available now, then they
    should be mailed to you immediately.

    > When I had BB, I had all old movies, stuff that there was no way they
    > couldn't have an available copy, like Cincinnati Kid and Alice Doesn't
    > Live here Anymore, stuff like that. The week when I had an empty queue
    > as far as movies out, I had seven movies in my queuue, all available.
    > None were "short wait" or "long wait." I never saw any evidence of BB
    > trying to get movies out quickly.

    Honestly, I think BB is bullshitting when they claim to have 50 thousand
    titles in their shipping centers. Well, maybe they do through out the
    nation, but not at any one warehouse. So I don't think it was a matter
    of age or popularity; they probably just didn't have any of those movies
    at your shipping center.
    Black Locust, Mar 24, 2006
  12. Black Locust

    grifty Guest

    Blockbuster has quite a few movies supposedly available that they don't
    even own yet. And most of these movies are are from years ago. If your
    queue says long wait, forget it. Your movie isn't coming.
    grifty, Mar 24, 2006