    are they THEN going to bring in decent
    numbers of pre-existing DVD movies, instead
    of just new releases and blockbusters???

    RichA, Dec 14, 2004

  2. RichA

    Omarichu Guest

    They're dropping their late fees.

    Omarichu, Dec 15, 2004

  3. RichA

    Shive Guest

    On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 15:37:17 -0500, RichA wrote:

    > I think I caught tail end of this news today, but I'm not sure. If they do
    > this, are they THEN going to bring in decent numbers of pre-existing DVD
    > movies, instead of just new releases and blockbusters???

    That is exactly why I use Netflix. I could care less about the current
    crap coming out of Hollycrud (with the occasional exception, of course).
    With Netflix I can get all those oldies but goodies and they are always in
    stock.

    Remember back in the times when a chain gun, 50 thousand
    rounds of ammo and a fast car didn't equal a plot?

    Shive

    Shive, Dec 15, 2004
  4. Shive <> wrote:

    > That is exactly why I use Netflix. I could care less about the current
    > crap coming out of Hollycrud (with the occasional exception, of course).
    > With Netflix I can get all those oldies but goodies and they are always in
    > stock.

    Yes, Blockbuster's biggest problem isn't price or even convenience, but
    the dismal lack of selection in the typical BB outlet.

    There are more than four thousand BB locations in the United States --
    four of them within five miles of my house in the suburbs of a
    medium-sized city. That means no one of them is going to have much of
    anything besides mass-market junk, new or old.

    Had Blockbuster consolidated many of those retail outlets years ago and
    set up warehouse and mailing centers near large urban areas, they could
    have had Netflix for breakfast. But a lot of BB's retail outlets are
    franchisees, and my guess is that Blockbuster found itself boxed in by
    those franchising agreements, unable to use its name and ubiquity to
    compete aggressively in the online rental market. Now it's is being
    being squeezed by digital cable, providing more convenience to the mass
    market, and online rentals, providing more titles to those who want
    something other than the latest Hollywood crap.

    Neill Massello, Dec 15, 2004
  5. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 15:10:44 GMT, (Neill
    Massello) wrote:

    >Shive <> wrote:
    >
    >> That is exactly why I use Netflix. I could care less about the current
    >> crap coming out of Hollycrud (with the occasional exception, of course).
    >> With Netflix I can get all those oldies but goodies and they are always in
    >> stock.

    >Yes, Blockbuster's biggest problem isn't price or even convenience, but
    >the dismal lack of selection in the typical BB outlet.
    >
    >There are more than four thousand BB locations in the United States --
    >four of them within five miles of my house in the suburbs of a
    >medium-sized city. That means no one of them is going to have much of
    >anything besides mass-market junk, new or old.
    >
    >Had Blockbuster consolidated many of those retail outlets years ago and
    >set up warehouse and mailing centers near large urban areas, they could
    >have had Netflix for breakfast. But a lot of BB's retail outlets are
    >franchisees, and my guess is that Blockbuster found itself boxed in by
    >those franchising agreements, unable to use its name and ubiquity to
    >compete aggressively in the online rental market. Now it's is being
    >being squeezed by digital cable, providing more convenience to the mass
    >market, and online rentals, providing more titles to those who want
    >something other than the latest Hollywood crap.

    In fact, in Toronto, Canada it was either Blockbuster or the scum
    Rogers Video who said that they would start carrying less "off brand"
    and independent DVDs and concentrate on mainstream Hollywood movies.
    Are their stores now going to shrink to 20' x 20' kiosks?
    -Rich

    RichA, Dec 15, 2004
  6. "RichA" <> wrote in message
    >I think I caught tail end of this news
    > today, but I'm not sure. If they do this,
    > are they THEN going to bring in decent
    > numbers of pre-existing DVD movies, instead
    > of just new releases and blockbusters???

    "What's wrong with leaving things like the Debt and
    pollution to future generations? It's more
    likely advances in science and the evolution of
    economic systems will make it FAR easier for
    them to handle these issues than the current generation, so
    leave it for them and don't feel bad about it.
    -Rich"

    Richard Anders, Dec 16, 2004