Blockbuster Offers $700M for Hollywood Entertainment.

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by One-Shot Scot, Nov 11, 2004.

  1. Thursday, November 11, 2004

    Associated Press

    DALLAS - Blockbuster Inc. (BBI) has offered $700 million for rival
    Hollywood Entertainment Corp. (HLWY) in a deal that would extend
    Blockbuster's position as the world's largest movie rental company.
    Shares of both companies rose.

    One-Shot Scot, Nov 11, 2004

  2. One-Shot Scot

    Stan Brown Guest

    "One-Shot Scot" <> wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >DALLAS - Blockbuster Inc. (BBI) has offered $700 million for rival
    >Hollywood Entertainment Corp. (HLWY) in a deal that would extend
    >Blockbuster's position as the world's largest movie rental company.
    >Shares of both companies rose.

    And spirits of movie viewers fell.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    "And if you're afraid of butter, which many people are nowa-
    days, (long pause) you just put in cream." --Julia Child
    Stan Brown, Nov 12, 2004

  3. One-Shot Scot

    Nonymous Guest

    > "One-Shot Scot" <> wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >>DALLAS - Blockbuster Inc. (BBI) has offered $700 million for rival
    >>Hollywood Entertainment Corp. (HLWY) in a deal that would extend
    >>Blockbuster's position as the world's largest movie rental company.
    >>Shares of both companies rose.

    *That's* the way to kill off Netflix. Buy a rival brick store so you can
    double your inventory of Shrek 2, The Day After Tomorrow, Mean Girls, and
    Scooby-Doo 2.
    Nonymous, Nov 12, 2004
  4. One-Shot Scot

    Bob D. Guest

    Does Netflix have their own label now?

    A few of the DVDs I've gotten from Netflix have their logo on the disc. Is
    Netflix releasing out of print movies on their own label? If so, kudos for
    Netflix. That's how to beat the competition.

    Bob D.
    Bob D., Nov 12, 2004
  5. One-Shot Scot

    Invid Fan Guest

    Re: Does Netflix have their own label now?

    In article <uHYkd.329302$wV.132732@attbi_s54>, Bob D.
    <> wrote:

    > A few of the DVDs I've gotten from Netflix have their logo on the disc. Is
    > Netflix releasing out of print movies on their own label? If so, kudos for
    > Netflix. That's how to beat the competition.

    A Netflix exclusive title is no different then a DIVIX exclusive. If I
    HAVE to pay a monthly fee to see a particular film... :)

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS
    Invid Fan, Nov 12, 2004
  6. One-Shot Scot

    kaydigi Guest

    "Invid Fan" <> wrote in message
    > In article <uHYkd.329302$wV.132732@attbi_s54>, Bob D.
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > A few of the DVDs I've gotten from Netflix have their logo on the disc.

    Is
    > > Netflix releasing out of print movies on their own label? If so, kudos

    for
    > > Netflix. That's how to beat the competition.
    > >

    > A Netflix exclusive title is no different then a DIVIX exclusive. If I
    > HAVE to pay a monthly fee to see a particular film... :)

    lol
    kaydigi, Nov 12, 2004
  7. Re: Does Netflix have their own label now?

    In article <121120041424035939%>,
    Invid Fan <> wrote:

    > > A few of the DVDs I've gotten from Netflix have their logo on the disc. Is
    > > Netflix releasing out of print movies on their own label? If so, kudos for
    > > Netflix. That's how to beat the competition.
    > >

    > A Netflix exclusive title is no different then a DIVIX exclusive. If I
    > HAVE to pay a monthly fee to see a particular film... :)

    Netflix is not releasing movies. They are a *video store* that happens
    to be big and online. The branding is just that and it's done by the
    same folks that release the retail versions.
    Reginald Dwight, Nov 12, 2004
  8. Re: Does Netflix have their own label now?

    Invid Fan wrote:

    >>A few of the DVDs I've gotten from Netflix have their logo on the disc. Is
    >>Netflix releasing out of print movies on their own label? If so, kudos for
    >>Netflix. That's how to beat the competition.

    > A Netflix exclusive title is no different then a DIVIX exclusive. If I
    > HAVE to pay a monthly fee to see a particular film... :)

    There ARE no "Netflix exclusive" titles (or at least, there haven't been
    since "Croupier"...Bad idea, bad time for the company)--
    There are, however, movies Netflix managed to license that other
    companies were too small or clueless to pick up.

    I've seen Netflix-labeled disks, and these were mostly either private
    re-pressings by the studios (eg. '99-'00 Anchor Bay titles that the
    "messed-up" pre-01 Netflix missed earlier when they were boycotting the
    studio) or repackaging of multi-disk sets (eg. TV boxes, bonus disks).
    As the old punchline goes, that's what you can do when you're big and
    rich (and established in the online-rental industry).

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Nov 13, 2004
  9. Re: Does Netflix have their own label now?

    Derek Janssen <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Invid Fan wrote:
    >
    > >>A few of the DVDs I've gotten from Netflix have their logo on the disc. Is
    > >>Netflix releasing out of print movies on their own label? If so, kudos for
    > >>Netflix. That's how to beat the competition.

    > > A Netflix exclusive title is no different then a DIVIX exclusive. If I
    > > HAVE to pay a monthly fee to see a particular film... :)

    > There ARE no "Netflix exclusive" titles (or at least, there haven't been
    > since "Croupier"...Bad idea, bad time for the company)--
    > There are, however, movies Netflix managed to license that other
    > companies were too small or clueless to pick up.
    >
    > I've seen Netflix-labeled disks, and these were mostly either private
    > re-pressings by the studios (eg. '99-'00 Anchor Bay titles that the
    > "messed-up" pre-01 Netflix missed earlier when they were boycotting the
    > studio) or repackaging of multi-disk sets (eg. TV boxes, bonus disks).
    > As the old punchline goes, that's what you can do when you're big and
    > rich (and established in the online-rental industry).
    >
    > Derek Janssen

    Still, a title like Willard is a "netflix release" - seems to be
    identical to the retail, though.

    Keld Landin-Petersen
    Keld Landin-Petersen, Nov 13, 2004
  10. Re: Does Netflix have their own label now?

    In article <>,
    (Keld Landin-Petersen) wrote:

    > Still, a title like Willard is a "netflix release" - seems to be
    > identical to the retail, though.

    ??? Who said it wasn't?
    Reginald Dwight, Nov 13, 2004
  11. One-Shot Scot

    Bob D. Guest

    Re: Does Netflix have their own label now?

    I'm assuming the movies Netflix is licensing and pressing are "out of print"
    or "never available on DVD in the first place". This is great as there are
    soooo many good movies that aren't currently available.

    I wish some company would do the same for music. The are a lot of gems on
    old 78rpm records that never made it to CD. Napster (when it was illegal)
    briefly opened the door on these oldies from private collections.
    Unfortunately there is no room for them in commercial ventures.

    Bob D.

    Bob D., Nov 13, 2004
  12. One-Shot Scot

    Scott P Guest

    Re: Does Netflix have their own label now?

    On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 17:17:35 -0800, Derek Janssen
    <> wrote:

    >Invid Fan wrote:
    >
    >>>A few of the DVDs I've gotten from Netflix have their logo on the disc. Is
    >>>Netflix releasing out of print movies on their own label? If so, kudos for
    >>>Netflix. That's how to beat the competition.

    >> A Netflix exclusive title is no different then a DIVIX exclusive. If I
    >> HAVE to pay a monthly fee to see a particular film... :)

    >There ARE no "Netflix exclusive" titles (or at least, there haven't been
    >since "Croupier"...Bad idea, bad time for the company)--
    >There are, however, movies Netflix managed to license that other
    >companies were too small or clueless to pick up.
    >
    >I've seen Netflix-labeled disks, and these were mostly either private
    >re-pressings by the studios (eg. '99-'00 Anchor Bay titles that the
    >"messed-up" pre-01 Netflix missed earlier when they were boycotting the
    >studio) or repackaging of multi-disk sets (eg. TV boxes, bonus disks).
    >As the old punchline goes, that's what you can do when you're big and
    >rich (and established in the online-rental industry).

    This is not exactly true. I have received many mainstream movies that
    were on Netflix-labeled disks. I even send them a complaint letter
    once because I received the movie The Butterfly Effect on a Netflix
    disk rather than the original disk which was two sided. I only
    received the side that had the Director's cut version since the
    theatrical version was on side B.

    Scott
    Scott P, Nov 13, 2004
  13. One-Shot Scot

    In article <W2rld.402451$D%.123148@attbi_s51>, Bob D.
    <> wrote:

    > I'm assuming the movies Netflix is licensing and pressing are "out of print"
    > or "never available on DVD in the first place". This is great as there are
    > soooo many good movies that aren't currently available.
    >
    > I wish some company would do the same for music. The are a lot of gems on
    > old 78rpm records that never made it to CD. Napster (when it was illegal)
    > briefly opened the door on these oldies from private collections.
    > Unfortunately there is no room for them in commercial ventures.

    iTunes just opened a section where a publisher is offering out of print
    Jazz albums. It's a lot cheaper to do this then to offer a physical
    release, and there's no risk on their part. With luck we'll see more of
    it.

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS
    Invid Fan, Nov 13, 2004
  14. One-Shot Scot

    Edward Reid Guest

    Re: Does Netflix have their own label now?

    On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 11:58:30 -0500, Bob D. wrote
    > I wish some company would do the same for music. The are a lot of gems on
    > old 78rpm records that never made it to CD.

    There are however an awful lot which HAVE made it to CD, precisely
    because small-run CDs are feasible. Not everything of course, and I
    agree that pure-electronic distribution is likely to open new options
    for really rare, small-market stuff. But CDs *have* been a boon in this
    area. And it doesn't take big companies to produce CDs; this has been
    largely a cottage industry.

    Edward
    Edward Reid, Nov 14, 2004
  15. One-Shot Scot

    GMAN Guest

    Oh ****, here comes full screen only DVD rentals!!!!
    GMAN, Nov 15, 2004
  16. ---Original Message---

    (GMAN) wrote:

    Oh ****, here comes full screen only DVD rentals!!!!

    ---End of Original Message---

    IF this happens, I'm guessing Blockbuster will just throw out any full
    screen DVD rentals they acquire from Hollywood, or sell them as used
    copies.

    Guy Incognito
    Guy Incognito, Nov 16, 2004