Blockbuster launches netflix-type service

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by LP, Jul 21, 2004.

  1. LP

    LP Guest

    LP, Jul 21, 2004

  2. LP

    lrulan Guest

    "LP" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > http://www.hackingnetflix.com/netflix/2004/07/blockbuster_onl.html
    >
    > what do you think? Evidently it's not the official version. The site
    > is http://beta.blockbuster.com
    >
    > I just signed up and so far it looks good. I just wonder if they'll
    > have the same problems I've had with netflix.

    I'm on this plan at my local Blockbuster. Excellent plan. The reason is I
    live 2 minutes down the road from the store and I am in there almost
    everyday. I am able to take out 2 dvds at a time and return them whenever,
    no late fees. It works great for me because I am close to the store. I don't
    know how it will work out for other who have to drive a long way to get to
    the store. Also, it's cheaper than Netflix. I'm still on Netflix for the
    dvds that Blockbuster doesn't carry, the older films and many of the tv
    series dvds that BB doesn't have.

    --

    Irulan
    from now until the end of time

    lrulan, Jul 21, 2004

  3. In article <>,
    "lrulan" <> wrote:

    > I'm on this plan at my local Blockbuster. Excellent plan. The reason is I
    > live 2 minutes down the road from the store and I am in there almost
    > everyday. I am able to take out 2 dvds at a time and return them whenever,
    > no late fees. It works great for me because I am close to the store. I don't
    > know how it will work out for other who have to drive a long way to get to
    > the store. Also, it's cheaper than Netflix.

    I realize it's a coupla bucks per month cheaper but technically wouldn't
    you rate its "cheapness" base on how many discs you get out in a month?

    Reginald Dwight, Jul 21, 2004
  4. In article <>,
    (LP) wrote:

    > http://www.hackingnetflix.com/netflix/2004/07/blockbuster_onl.html
    >
    > what do you think? Evidently it's not the official version. The site
    > is http://beta.blockbuster.com
    >
    > I just signed up and so far it looks good. I just wonder if they'll
    > have the same problems I've had with netflix.

    I've been a member of Netflix since 1999. Ha, a charter member. But when
    Blockbuster went "online," last week, thought, ha, I'll give it the
    "free trial."

    Well, so far, Blockbuster sucks. My 12 year old son is into Star Trek
    Voyager; Blockbuster Online only has the first season. Yeah, call me old
    (and weird, ha), but I've been renting from Netflix the first season of
    that TV show, The Waltons.

    Netflix has them all, Blockbuster Online, doesn't. Blockbuster has like
    5 of the 9 discs in the first season set. And Blockbuster Online has no
    trace of Star Trek Voyager's 2nd and 3rd season. At all.

    And Saturday (8/14) I returned three Netflix discs and two Blockbuster
    discs. By today (8/16) Netflix has reported they've received the three
    discs, and my next discs will be here by 8/17.

    Blockbuster Online has reported, nothing. They've received, nothing.
    When I mailed the Blockbuster returns to Seattle, WA, where I live. The
    Netflix discs were mailed to Tacoma, WA (about 20 miles, from SEA)

    I'll be cancelling Blockbuster, that's a given.

    Netflix rules ....

    Mary

    Mary D. Brown, Aug 17, 2004
  5. LP

    Joe Kaffe Guest

    "Mary D. Brown" <> wrote in message
    ---snip---snip---snip---
    > I've been a member of Netflix since 1999. Ha, a charter member. But when
    > Blockbuster went "online," last week, thought, ha, I'll give it the
    > "free trial."
    >
    > Well, so far, Blockbuster sucks.

    ---snip---snip---snip---

    > Netflix has them all, Blockbuster Online, doesn't.

    ---snip---snip---snip---

    > And Saturday (8/14) I returned three Netflix discs and two Blockbuster
    > discs. By today (8/16) Netflix has reported they've received the three
    > discs, and my next discs will be here by 8/17.
    >
    > Blockbuster Online has reported, nothing. They've received, nothing.
    > When I mailed the Blockbuster returns to Seattle, WA, where I live. The
    > Netflix discs were mailed to Tacoma, WA (about 20 miles, from SEA)
    >
    > I'll be cancelling Blockbuster, that's a given.

    I agree with everything you've said, but I'm going to give them one paid
    month to get their act together. I like the idea of getting 2 free rentals
    per month at one of their brick and mortar stores, they're a wee bit
    cheaper, and they do carry some titles that Netflix doesn't. However, none
    of that matters if their service remains abysmal.

    Joe Kaffe, Aug 18, 2004
  6. In article <lQDUc.106412$xk.24678@fed1read01>,
    "Joe Kaffe" <> wrote:

    > and they do carry some titles that Netflix doesn't.

    Do tell.

    Reginald Dwight, Aug 18, 2004
  7. LP

    Goober22 Guest

    Reginald Dwight wrote:
    > In article <lQDUc.106412$xk.24678@fed1read01>,
    > "Joe Kaffe" <> wrote:
    >
    >> and they do carry some titles that Netflix doesn't.

    > Do tell.

    "Adventures Of Ford Fairlane"

    Blockbuster - Yes,
    Walmart - Yes,
    Netflix - No

    Hey, you asked! ;)

    Goober22, Aug 28, 2004
  8. In article <d43Yc.30890$>,
    "Goober22" <MrGoober22~NoSpam~@Yahoo~NOSPAM~.com> wrote:

    > "Adventures Of Ford Fairlane"
    >
    > Blockbuster - Yes,
    > Walmart - Yes,
    > Netflix - No
    >
    > Hey, you asked! ;)

    Yes, I did but, hey - That's it!?

    If you spent the time you could find a hell of a lot more than one
    HUNDRED discs that are at Netflix but not at the other two, I'm guessing.

    Reginald Dwight, Aug 28, 2004
  9. LP

    Joe Kaffe Guest

    "Reginald Dwight" <> wrote in message
    > In article <d43Yc.30890$>,
    > "Goober22" <MrGoober22~NoSpam~@Yahoo~NOSPAM~.com> wrote:
    >
    > > "Adventures Of Ford Fairlane"
    > >
    > > Blockbuster - Yes,
    > > Walmart - Yes,
    > > Netflix - No
    > >
    > > Hey, you asked! ;)

    > Yes, I did but, hey - That's it!?
    >
    > If you spent the time you could find a hell of a lot more than one
    > HUNDRED discs that are at Netflix but not at the other two, I'm guessing.

    Each carry titles the others don't. BlockBuster carries quite a few
    documentary titles that are unavailable elsewhere for rental. I'm grabbing
    as many of those I can before my renewal date.

    I will have given BB a fair trial (6 weeks total) and I'm not at all
    impressed. Perhaps someday they'll get their act together, but I'm not going
    to keep paying to beta test their service! I've tried a number of on-line
    rental services, and Netflix always comes out on top.

    Joe Kaffe, Aug 29, 2004
  10. In article <_dnYc.197514$Oi.86313@fed1read04>,
    "Joe Kaffe" <> wrote:

    > Each carry titles the others don't.

    I just hope you aren't including WalMart in this scenario. :)

    > BlockBuster carries quite a few
    > documentary titles that are unavailable elsewhere for rental.

    You mean "at Netflix" obviously. Again, short of "Ford Fairlane" I'm
    very curious about some "for instance" titles that are at BB but not
    Netflix.

    TIA.

    Reginald Dwight, Aug 29, 2004
  11. LP

    > In article <_dnYc.197514$Oi.86313@fed1read04>,
    > "Joe Kaffe" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Each carry titles the others don't.

    > I just hope you aren't including WalMart in this scenario. :)
    >
    > > BlockBuster carries quite a few
    > > documentary titles that are unavailable elsewhere for rental.

    > You mean "at Netflix" obviously. Again, short of "Ford Fairlane" I'm
    > very curious about some "for instance" titles that are at BB but not
    > Netflix.

    Here are few I can think of without doing a search:

    10 Steps to a Perfect Retirement Portfolio
    Pimps Up Ho's Down
    The Ra Expeditions
    Aku-Aku

    Somehow, I suspect if 10 were listed, that wouldn't be enough, and if 25
    were listed, that too would fall short. You don't have to believe me, and
    I'm certainly not going to waste any more of my time trying to prove it to
    you. You can continue to troll, but I'm done biting!

    Joe Kaffe, Aug 30, 2004
  12. In article <fCxYc.40964$4o.17761@fed1read01>,
    "Joe Kaffe" <> wrote:

    > 10 Steps to a Perfect Retirement Portfolio
    > Pimps Up Ho's Down
    > The Ra Expeditions
    > Aku-Aku
    >
    > Somehow, I suspect if 10 were listed, that wouldn't be enough, and if 25
    > were listed, that too would fall short. You don't have to believe me, and
    > I'm certainly not going to waste any more of my time trying to prove it to
    > you. You can continue to troll, but I'm done biting!

    Jesus, dude...chill. I was just curious. Netflix comes off like they
    have everything and I was just curious what kind of stuff was out there
    that they don't have. I never intended to give off a "prove it!"
    attitude.

    I ain't the Spanish Inquisition. :)

    Reginald Dwight, Aug 30, 2004