    accounts can still access network connections and make changes. How can I
    block usage of other available networks?
    Thanks in advance for any advice

    =?Utf-8?B?anNhbmNoZXo=?=, Jan 26, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?anNhbmNoZXo=?=

    S. Pidgorny Guest

    I would ask your neighbors to enable encryption on their access point,
    citing security issues with open access points as well as your particular
    situation.

    --
    Svyatoslav Pidgorny, MVP, MCSE
    -= F1 is the key =-

    "jsanchez" <> wrote in message
    > I am running xp sp2 and have a linksys g router. I want to block internet
    > access during certain hours. I already have a time filter for my router
    > however, you can still access the internet using my neighbors wireless
    > network by selecting view available networks and selecting to connect to
    > their network. I have established admin and limited accounts but the

    limited

    S. Pidgorny, Jan 26, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?anNhbmNoZXo=?=

    Mungo Bulge Guest

    It they are not interested in locking down their AP, at least they
    could do is MAC filter your network cards.

    Search Goooogle key word "Hardening Windows XP"
    Hardening Windows XP:
    http://winxp.uwaterloo.ca/Documentation/Hardening_WXP.asp
    http://www.its.caltech.edu/its/security/users/hardenxp.pdf

    The second site is targeted towards XP machines which are:
    1. Not part of a domain,
    2. Do not have a remote systems administrator,
    3. Are not dual booting with another OS,
    4. Not running any servers, and
    5. Do not need to transfer files directly with Windows 95/98/ME
    machines.

    Good luck
    Shawn

    Mungo Bulge, Jan 26, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?anNhbmNoZXo=?=

    Mark Gamache Guest

    XP allows you to block access to APs that aren't on your preferred list.
    Make sure that your SSID is unique and add it to the list. You may have to
    dig a bit into the wireless tab, but there is an option to only connect to
    preferred networks.

    Cheers,

    --
    Mark Gamache