    block of static ips.

    I know they hand them out, but I need an actual reason before they allocate
    them, what can I say?

    Boris The Blade, May 19, 2006

  2. Boris The Blade

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 19 May 2006 12:34:12 +0100, Boris The Blade wrote:

    > Hello, can someone give me a good reason to use when asking my isp for a
    > block of static ips.
    >
    > I know they hand them out, but I need an actual reason before they
    > allocate them, what can I say?

    Tell them you have a cluster of pr0n and warez servers that need their own
    addys.

    Meat Plow, May 19, 2006

  3. Boris The Blade

    Tremendous R Guest

    Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Fri, 19 May 2006 12:34:12 +0100, Boris The Blade wrote:
    >
    >> Hello, can someone give me a good reason to use when asking my isp for a
    >> block of static ips.
    >>
    >> I know they hand them out, but I need an actual reason before they
    >> allocate them, what can I say?

    > Tell them you have a cluster of pr0n and warez servers that need their own
    > addys.

    Wow, good job, you were a dick to someone with a legitimate question.
    Next you'll be working in a hardware store while telling everyone you
    own a business.

    Tremendous R, May 19, 2006
  4. Boris The Blade

    Evan Platt Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Hello, can someone give me a good reason to use when asking my isp for a
    >block of static ips.
    >
    >I know they hand them out, but I need an actual reason before they allocate
    >them, what can I say?

    How about the real reason? That would probably work.

    Evan Platt, May 19, 2006
  5. Boris The Blade

    Leythos Guest

    In article <446dab39$0$97623$>,
    says...
    > Hello, can someone give me a good reason to use when asking my isp for a
    > block of static ips.
    >
    > I know they hand them out, but I need an actual reason before they allocate
    > them, what can I say?

    If you don't have a "real good" reason, then don't waste them. If you
    just "want" them, well, that's not a good reason.

    How about telling us what services you offer that require multiple
    public IP?

    --

    remove 999 in order to email me

    Leythos, May 19, 2006
  6. Boris The Blade

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 19 May 2006 09:42:25 -0500, Tremendous R wrote:

    > Meat Plow wrote:
    >> On Fri, 19 May 2006 12:34:12 +0100, Boris The Blade wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello, can someone give me a good reason to use when asking my isp for
    >>> a block of static ips.
    >>>
    >>> I know they hand them out, but I need an actual reason before they
    >>> allocate them, what can I say?

    >> Tell them you have a cluster of pr0n and warez servers that need their
    >> own addys.
    >>

    > Wow, good job, you were a dick to someone with a legitimate question.

    If the **** needed to ask complete strangers for a reason then he got the
    answer he deserved.

    > Next you'll be working in a hardware store while telling everyone you
    > own a business.

    I won't discuss my personal life with complete fuckwits like you.

    Meat Plow, May 19, 2006
  7. Boris The Blade

    Lionel Guest

    On Fri, 19 May 2006 09:42:25 -0500, Tremendous R
    <> opined:

    >Meat Plow wrote:
    >> On Fri, 19 May 2006 12:34:12 +0100, Boris The Blade wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello, can someone give me a good reason to use when asking my isp for a
    >>> block of static ips.
    >>>
    >>> I know they hand them out, but I need an actual reason before they
    >>> allocate them, what can I say?

    >> Tell them you have a cluster of pr0n and warez servers that need their own
    >> addys.
    >>

    >Wow, good job, you were a dick to someone with a legitimate question.

    "Legitimate question"? - What a load of crap!
    If the OP had a *legitimate* reason to request a block of IP
    addresses, they'd *know* what they needed them for, you dickhead, &
    wouldn't need any 'help' from a flock of blithering cluebies in
    24hourfuckup.helplessdicks.

    As for an accurate answer for the OP:

    There's two standard ways for an end-user to get more than a single IP
    from an ISP:

    (1) Learn how to fill in the official justification form that ISPs
    have to pass on to the regional registrars to get /their/ extra IP
    blocks.
    (Hint: don't bother trying to make shit up for the form unless you can
    answer the standard questions you'll be asked, such as why you can't
    vhost your multiple 'important websites' on the same web server, on a
    single IP.)

    (2) Tell your salesbunny that you need 'X' IP addresses, pay the
    massive extra fee he'll quote you for the upgrade from a
    consumer-grade link to a "premium business grade link", & let him make
    up whatever bullshit is required to get you the IP's.

    Oh, & it's worth mentioning that Meat's guess as to the reason for the
    OP's 'legitimate question' is almost certainly the correct answer,
    because anyone who's worked in the industry knows that the single most
    common reason why cluebies want extra IP addresses is indeed for
    w4arez-related purposes. The other standard 'legitimate' reasons are
    for spamming or fucking up people on IRC, etc.

    Lionel, May 19, 2006
  8. To be honest, I just wanted them, there is no dodgy reason, why does
    everyone have to be so cynical and aggressive towards such a simple
    question?

    I wont bother asking in here again.

    Thanks anyway

    Boris The Blade, May 19, 2006
  9. also I actually only wanted one other ip but my isp said they only done
    blocks, it really wasnt anything dodgy.

    Boris The Blade, May 19, 2006
  10. Boris The Blade

    Leythos Guest

    In article <446e0415$0$18243$>,
    says...
    > To be honest, I just wanted them, there is no dodgy reason, why does
    > everyone have to be so cynical and aggressive towards such a simple
    > question?
    >
    > I wont bother asking in here again.

    I didn't suggest anything. Most ISP's have a small number of IP to work
    with, they don't just give them out because that would mean less IP for
    other customers/new customers - and IP are money to ISP.

    What you were asking, to most of us that are IT types, is how to I make
    up something to get some extra IP that I won't use, but I just want to
    have handy so that I can say I have more than 1 IP. It's just a issue
    with ethics.

    If you really had a need for them you would not have had to ask in the
    group - I think that's why you got some responses that you didn't like.

    --

    remove 999 in order to email me

    Leythos, May 19, 2006
  11. Boris The Blade

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-05-19, Boris The Blade <> wrote:
    > "Leythos" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <446dab39$0$97623$>,
    >> says...
    >>> Hello, can someone give me a good reason to use when asking my isp for a
    >>> block of static ips.
    >>>
    >>> I know they hand them out, but I need an actual reason before they
    >>> allocate
    >>> them, what can I say?

    >> If you don't have a "real good" reason, then don't waste them. If you
    >> just "want" them, well, that's not a good reason.
    >>
    >> How about telling us what services you offer that require multiple
    >> public IP?

    > To be honest, I just wanted them, there is no dodgy reason, why does
    > everyone have to be so cynical and aggressive towards such a simple
    > question?

    Because the world rewards scepticism doubt and cynicism much more often
    and more lucratively than it rewards any assumption that someone asking a
    silly question is just being silly?

    What possible reason could you have for wanting a whole block to yourself
    of a resource that is already in short supply, and is very finite?

    Until ISPs and major 'internet entities' get their act together and
    implement 'IPv6' addressing, IP numbers will have to be rationed.

    > I wont bother asking in here again.
    >
    > Thanks anyway

    You need to develop a thicker rind to your bacon :))

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, May 19, 2006
  12. Boris The Blade

    fred-bloggs Guest

    "Boris The Blade" <> wrote in

    > Hello, can someone give me a good reason to use when asking my isp for
    > a block of static ips.
    >
    > I know they hand them out, but I need an actual reason before they
    > allocate them, what can I say?

    If you want you can connect several computers to the internet through one
    IP address by using a NAT router.

    --
    fred

    fred-bloggs, May 19, 2006
  13. "Lionel" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 19 May 2006 09:42:25 -0500, Tremendous R
    > <> opined:
    >
    > >Meat Plow wrote:

    > >> Tell them you have a cluster of pr0n and warez servers that need their

    own
    > >> addys.
    > >>

    > >Wow, good job, you were a dick to someone with a legitimate question.

    > "Legitimate question"? - What a load of crap!
    > If the OP had a *legitimate* reason to request a block of IP
    > addresses, they'd *know* what they needed them for, you dickhead, &
    > wouldn't need any 'help' from a flock of blithering cluebies in
    > 24hourfuckup.helplessdicks.
    >
    > As for an accurate answer for the OP:
    >
    > There's two standard ways for an end-user to get more than a single IP
    > from an ISP:
    >
    > (1) Learn how to fill in the official justification form that ISPs
    > have to pass on to the regional registrars to get /their/ extra IP
    > blocks.
    > (Hint: don't bother trying to make shit up for the form unless you can
    > answer the standard questions you'll be asked, such as why you can't
    > vhost your multiple 'important websites' on the same web server, on a
    > single IP.)
    >
    > (2) Tell your salesbunny that you need 'X' IP addresses, pay the
    > massive extra fee he'll quote you for the upgrade from a
    > consumer-grade link to a "premium business grade link", & let him make
    > up whatever bullshit is required to get you the IP's.
    >
    > Oh, & it's worth mentioning that Meat's guess as to the reason for the
    > OP's 'legitimate question' is almost certainly the correct answer,
    > because anyone who's worked in the industry knows that the single most
    > common reason why cluebies want extra IP addresses is indeed for
    > w4arez-related purposes. The other standard 'legitimate' reasons are
    > for spamming or fucking up people on IRC, etc.

    To me?,
    It sounds like alot of Internet Dummies, dont know how to use their Internet
    Options in-der-Browser(s)!!!...

    Isnt that where?,
    Most folks of all sorts would go to "block," IP addresses, and or even
    URLs???...

    I mean?,
    In my Browser (Internet Explorer), I just click to the following; Tools,
    Internet Options, Security, Restricted Sites, Sites. Then I add the web
    sites URL(s) and or IP(s), except when you enter the IP(s)?, you have to
    include http://, following with the IPs dotted decimal address
    (http://###.###.###.###), click Add, and then click OK...

    That way?,
    You dont have to pay your ISP, the boo-koo $$$, to physically do it for you,
    on their servers...

    --
    HaHaHa

    VK all the way

    Colonel Jake (TM)
    AUK Goofy Azzed Babboon - Sep 2005
    AUK Unabomber Surprise - Apr 2006
    AUK Bolo Bullis Foam Duck #20 - Apr 2006
    http://www.netcabal.com/auk/kookle.php?search=colonel jake
    http://www.netcabal.com/auk
    ©2006 Colonel Jake Enterprises, L.L.C. Colonel Jake is a registered
    trademark of Colonel Jake Enterprises, L.L.C. All rights reserved.

    And then some...

    Added AFA-B, AF, AA

    Colonel Jake TM, May 19, 2006
  14. Boris The Blade

    Lionel Guest

    On Fri, 19 May 2006 14:11:39 -0700, "Colonel Jake TM"
    <> opined:

    >"Lionel" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 19 May 2006 09:42:25 -0500, Tremendous R
    >> <> opined:

    >own
    >> >>

    >> >Wow, good job, you were a dick to someone with a legitimate question.

    >> "Legitimate question"? - What a load of crap!
    >> If the OP had a *legitimate* reason to request a block of IP
    >> addresses, they'd *know* what they needed them for, you dickhead, &
    >> wouldn't need any 'help' from a flock of blithering cluebies in
    >> 24hourfuckup.helplessdicks.
    >>
    >> As for an accurate answer for the OP:
    >>
    >> There's two standard ways for an end-user to get more than a single IP
    >> from an ISP:
    >>
    >> (1) Learn how to fill in the official justification form that ISPs
    >> have to pass on to the regional registrars to get /their/ extra IP
    >> blocks.
    >> (Hint: don't bother trying to make shit up for the form unless you can
    >> answer the standard questions you'll be asked, such as why you can't
    >> vhost your multiple 'important websites' on the same web server, on a
    >> single IP.)
    >>
    >> (2) Tell your salesbunny that you need 'X' IP addresses, pay the
    >> massive extra fee he'll quote you for the upgrade from a
    >> consumer-grade link to a "premium business grade link", & let him make
    >> up whatever bullshit is required to get you the IP's.
    >>
    >> Oh, & it's worth mentioning that Meat's guess as to the reason for the
    >> OP's 'legitimate question' is almost certainly the correct answer,
    >> because anyone who's worked in the industry knows that the single most
    >> common reason why cluebies want extra IP addresses is indeed for
    >> w4arez-related purposes. The other standard 'legitimate' reasons are
    >> for spamming or fucking up people on IRC, etc.
    >> --
    >> . | ,. w , "Some people are alive only because
    >> \|/ \|/ it is illegal to kill them." Perna condita delenda est
    >> ---^----^---------------------------------------------------------------
    >>

    >To me?,
    >It sounds like alot of Internet Dummies, dont know how to use their Internet
    >Options in-der-Browser(s)!!!...
    >
    >Isnt that where?,
    >Most folks of all sorts would go to "block," IP addresses, and or even
    >URLs???...
    >
    >I mean?,
    >In my Browser (Internet Explorer), I just click to the following; Tools,
    >Internet Options, Security, Restricted Sites, Sites. Then I add the web
    >sites URL(s) and or IP(s), except when you enter the IP(s)?, you have to
    >include http://, following with the IPs dotted decimal address
    >(http://###.###.###.###), click Add, and then click OK...
    >
    >That way?,
    >You dont have to pay your ISP, the boo-koo $$$, to physically do it for you,
    >on their servers...

    You don't have the faintest idea what anyone in this entire thread has
    been talking about, do you?

    Lionel, May 19, 2006
  15. Ok, I guess I understand where everyone is coming from, but I had no idea
    ip's were in short supply and I actually only wanted to change my ip, reason
    I mentioned blocks was because my isp stated they allocate them in blocks of
    4, 6 & 16 and I cant get a dynamic ip address, which I would prefer.

    Boris The Blade, May 19, 2006
  16. Boris The Blade

    Leythos Guest

    In article <446e35c3$0$18234$>,
    says...
    > Ok, I guess I understand where everyone is coming from, but I had no idea
    > ip's were in short supply and I actually only wanted to change my ip, reason
    > I mentioned blocks was because my isp stated they allocate them in blocks of
    > 4, 6 & 16 and I cant get a dynamic ip address, which I would prefer.

    A static IP is better, unless you're doing something you need to hide
    and want to switch your ip once you do it.

    --

    remove 999 in order to email me

    Leythos, May 19, 2006
  17. but that makes no sense, as even if I had two ips and switched between them,
    they are still allocated to me?

    Cant you just accept that I wanted another ip for no actual reason other
    then I just wanted one and also I just wanted to see how my modem settings
    worked when I choose which ip I was allocated, sometimes I just like messing
    around and seeing how things work.

    Boris The Blade, May 19, 2006
  18. Boris The Blade

    Leythos Guest

    In article <446e3ef0$0$18244$>,
    says...
    > but that makes no sense, as even if I had two ips and switched between them,
    > they are still allocated to me?

    You misunderstand, you said you wanted a Dynamic over a static IP. In
    Dynamic, if you change your MAC you generally get a new IP assigned, so
    you can hop around the ISP's network to make it harder to find you after
    you do something.

    I'm not suggesting that you were going to do something, I'm just
    pointing out how it sounds.

    > Cant you just accept that I wanted another ip for no actual reason other
    > then I just wanted one and also I just wanted to see how my modem settings
    > worked when I choose which ip I was allocated, sometimes I just like messing
    > around and seeing how things work.

    Yep, and you don't understand that I don't have a problem with you
    wanting any number of IP's. You made several comments and I replied to
    them based on what you wrote, that's all it is.

    Your modem settings won't do anything different if you change from IP1
    to IP2 on the same network, if you had two different providers it would,
    but on the same network it won't make any difference.

    Don't be so adversarial it's just a discussion.

    --

    remove 999 in order to email me

    Leythos, May 19, 2006
  19. Boris The Blade

    Baked Guest

    On Fri, 19 May 2006 23:04:29 +0100, "Boris The Blade"
    <> wrote:

    >but that makes no sense, as even if I had two ips and switched between them,
    >they are still allocated to me?
    >
    >Cant you just accept that I wanted another ip for no actual reason other
    >then I just wanted one and also I just wanted to see how my modem settings
    >worked when I choose which ip I was allocated, sometimes I just like messing
    >around and seeing how things work.

    You, sir, are a fool.

    Baked, May 20, 2006
  20. Boris The Blade

    Plato Guest

    Boris The Blade wrote:

    > To be honest, I just wanted them, there is no dodgy reason, why does
    > everyone have to be so cynical and aggressive towards such a simple
    > question?
    >
    > I wont bother asking in here again.

    Unlike President Bush who speaks to selectivly chosen groups who will
    wont talk back with negatives, one cant chose the audiance one is
    speaking to in USEnet so you get everbody.

    So, while you may get the negatives, you may also get what you need for
    free. It's just the nature of USEnet so take advantage of it in the
    future.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, May 20, 2006