    TIA

    --
    WebWalker

    WebWalker, Jan 25, 2005

  2. WebWalker

    Brian Guest

    "WebWalker" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:...
    > Please forget me for this very novice question.
    >
    > How to block few computers from accessing Internet under the following
    > 2 situations :-
    >
    > 1) Router
    > 2) ICS (Internet Connection Sharing)
    >
    > OS - Win XP and Win 98
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > --
    > WebWalker

    ok.. done.. who are you?

    Brian, Jan 25, 2005

  3. WebWalker

    TheBeat999 Guest

    "WebWalker" <> wrote in message
    > Please forget me for this very novice question.
    >
    > How to block few computers from accessing Internet under the following
    > 2 situations :-
    >
    > 1) Router
    > 2) ICS (Internet Connection Sharing)
    >
    > OS - Win XP and Win 98

    Provided the ICS host doesn't have any shared folders or printers, you could simply
    block the specific IP addresses using a personal firewall on the ICS host.
    Unfortunately, ICS uses DHCP by default, so IP addresses could vary (they are
    allocated dynamically). The answer is to add the DNS suffix "MSHOME.NET" (no quotes)
    to each machine's TCP/IP Properties. A machine named "MARS" would then have the
    fully-qualified name of "MARS.MSHOME.NET". You can then assign static address to each
    connected machine in the range 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.254 (the ICS host is
    192.168.0.1 of course). The subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0. The router should
    still allow network access to all machines, but the ICS host will only be available
    to those that aren't blocked by its firewall.

    Alternatively, if your modem is connected to the router (or it has a built-in modem),
    then you can dump ICS altogether. The router is your gateway machine (192.168.0.1) and
    you should be able to configure which IP or MAC addresses can gain Internet access
    without affecting network access. Again, you should use static IP addresses if
    blocking by IP address, but the DNS suffix is optional.

    TheBeat999, Jan 25, 2005
  4. WebWalker

    Jerry G. Guest

    I don't want to go in to very deep, and long details over an email. But,
    check to see if your router can filter by MAC or physical address. Get the
    MAC numbers of the machines that you want to block, and enter them in to the
    filter, as to not allow.

    There are a number of good routers out there that can do this for you. The
    MAC address is a physical address that never changes. It is with the
    hardware only. Every NIC card and device made to work in networks, have
    their own unique MAC address.

    You can see the MAC addresses, by going to the command prompt, and typing
    IPCONFIG / ALL

    You will have to determine from the display contents, which address is the
    one for the network card in the machine. This number is displayed in HEX,
    and must be written as such.

    --

    Jerry G.
    ======

    Jerry G., Jan 25, 2005
  5. WebWalker

    Duane Arnold Guest

    WebWalker <> wrote in

    > Please forget me for this very novice question.
    >
    > How to block few computers from accessing Internet under the following
    > 2 situations :-
    >
    > 1) Router
    > 2) ICS (Internet Connection Sharing)
    >
    > OS - Win XP and Win 98
    >
    > TIA

    Most good NAT routers will have an Admin screen that will allow you to give
    the NIC MAC address of the machine you want to block from accessing the
    Internet.

    The second thing is that the router should be the gateway device and will
    provide the ICS and a computer is no longer needed for the ICS.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jan 25, 2005