    Slightly off-topic I know, but may be relevant to this group. Is the a way
    to make Outlook Express block messages by the posting host? I'm trying to
    block all messages that come from the MS web site.

    Brian, Sep 10, 2003

  2. Brian

    S. O'Brien Guest

    "Brian" <> wrote in message
    news:%...
    > Slightly off-topic I know, but may be relevant to this group. Is the a way
    > to make Outlook Express block messages by the posting host? I'm trying to
    > block all messages that come from the MS web site.

    have you tried to use a doman? like *@microsoft.com? or perhaps trying to
    use message rules where anything containing certain words like "Microsoft"
    would be placed directly into the deleted items or deleted entirely? I have
    several message rules where mail from certain individuals is placed in a
    folder created for this purpose... for example, mail from my boyfriend goes
    into a folder with his name. Another is for my MS newsletters go into a
    folder I created called "Microsoft Emails" (go figure). In this section you
    can also designate that they get deleted immediately so you shouldnt see
    them at all.

    go to tools / message rules / mail or news / new ... name it... and then
    select the actions you want taken by these emails captured in this rule.

    Just a thought

    --
    Sue MCNGP #69
    http://www.mcngp.tk

    S. O'Brien, Sep 10, 2003

  3. Brian

    Maestro Guest

    I kinda figured that was the reason. Just didn't want to
    be to presumtious. Blocking everything coming from MS'
    website however, I don't think will solve your problem.
    On one hand their are legitimate users on MS' website. On
    the other hand it is possible for a user to spoof their ID
    even when posting from sources other than MS. I use MS'
    website when I post from work, but at home using outlook
    express I use the ignore conversation switch. The threads
    still show up, but I know there is nothing in them of any
    value and can just move on to the next.

    interested in knowing
    >if this is possible. I know of people in other groups who

    have been able to
    >block by posting host or newsreader type using other news

    reader software.

    >> Out of curiosity I'm curios why he wants to do this?

    >Because of all the stupid posts and impersonations that

    come from people
    >posting via the MS web site. MS needs to verify who the

    poster really is
    >before allowing them to post anonymously. Its not all

    this group by the way,
    >although the whole Ron Williams thing was definitely a

    contributing factor.
    >In some of the other groups, it seems that Microsoft is

    directing customers
    >to the newsgroups to get their questions answered, so

    people are arriving

    Maestro, Sep 10, 2003
  4. Brian

    Brian Guest

    Well, the answer is that it can't be done. OE is only capable of filtering
    on the "from" line.

    Brian, Sep 11, 2003
  5. Brian

    Maestro Guest

    The problem is that he only wants to block post from MS'
    web based reader. Posting this way does not isolate the
    poster to a specific domain. Each user supplies their own
    email address and by extention their own domain. For
    example I use the web based reader when I'm at work. The
    domain that I supply is nothere.com, but I could easily
    change it to any other non-creative domain that I could
    think of, ultimately defeating what he is trying to do.

    Maestro, Sep 11, 2003
  6. Brian

    S. O'Brien Guest

    true... but that is why I asked if he had tried... I didnt think you COULD
    do it as someone else posted in this thread... just thought I would try to
    come up with alternatives... so that even if what he wanted exactly could be
    done in an alternative way... *shrug*

    --
    Sue MCNGP #69
    http://www.mcngp.tk
    The MCNGP Team - We're here to help

    "Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good
    example." --Mark Twain

    S. O'Brien, Sep 11, 2003
  7. Brian

    Maestro Guest