blinking cursor

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Rod Long, Feb 9, 2005.

  1. Rod Long

    Rod Long Guest

    My computer will go blank with nothing but a cursor in the upper left hand
    corner of the monitor. This does this randomly and sometimes at bootup after
    the initial Win logo. Normally it does this when I am in windows but not in
    any programs in windows. Nothing in device manager indicates a problem. I
    have changed video card drivers and even restored the pc to an earlier date.
    Problem still exists. Systems specs are: A Micron brand Intel 933\512
    ram\radeon7000video card\2 - 20gig Deskstar hd's. Manufactured in 1999.
    Also...
    All the fans are working
    the power supply is good
    cpu fan is working ok
    I ran Sisoft Diagnostics...all is okay
    the monitor is brand new
    all hard drive, cdrom\burner and monitor\video card connections are okay and
    snug
    Doesn't seem to be any heat issues
    Reseated ram sticks....problem still there....possible slow death of
    motherboard?
    Any ideas?

    Thanks, Rocco

    Rod Long, Feb 9, 2005

  2. Rod Long

    Guest

    Virus possibly?

    , Feb 9, 2005

  3. Rod Long

    Rod Long Guest

    Thanks for your reply. The ram is good and I couldn't find any BIOS updates
    at the micron site. The monitor light did not blink. The screen just goes
    blank with the blinking cursor. I haven't any idea what's going on.

    Rod Long, Feb 9, 2005
  4. Rod Long

    Rod Long Guest

    Thanks for the reply. No virus has been found by MacFee, Norton or AVG.
    Maybe it's time to get new?
    Rocco

    Rod Long, Feb 9, 2005
  5. Rod Long

    Bum Guest

    Rod

    Ok a few things from my experience regarding similar problem:

    I found the latest NVIDA video drivers and MS Media Player 10 did not like
    to play well together. I first had video signal for about 10-20 seconds,
    then a blank screen. I first thought it was a bad video card, replaced
    with a known good same problem, and componenet by component I discovered
    everything checked out a-ok.

    So my suggestion would be to roll back one or two versions of the video
    driver and to removeMS Media Player 10 if you have it installed.

    BUM

    Bum, Feb 9, 2005
  6. Rod Long

    Rod Long Guest

    Thanks for the reply. Sorry if my original post didn't state that my video
    card was an ATI radeon7000. I had rolled that back to an earlier driver
    also.

    Rocco

    Rod Long, Feb 9, 2005
  7. Rod Long

    Rocco Guest

    Okay, ran chkdsk and rolled back video driver again and reseated the video
    card. I am still using Media Player 10. Turned system off. No problems now
    for 1 1/2 days. Throwing my hands in the air at this point. I hope I don't
    have a problem like this in the field! Thanks for all of the replies.

    Rocco

    Rocco, Feb 10, 2005