    a good 30 minutes.

    Does anybody know of a way I can get a good shot of my own eye without
    blinking?
    CameraBoy, Dec 20, 2003

  2. CameraBoy

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Stand outside on a bright day? :)

    Ken Weitzel, Dec 20, 2003

  3. "CameraBoy" <> writes:

    > Does anybody know of a way I can get a good shot of my own eye without
    > blinking?

    Turn off the flash. Don't blink.

    Phil Stripling, Dec 20, 2003
  4. CameraBoy

    Mark B. Guest

    "CameraBoy" <> wrote in message
    > I have been trying to take self portraits with a Sony Sureshot. I want a
    > close up of my left eye. I have set the macro on and hold the camera,

    lens
    > about 3 inches away pointing right into the centre of my eye but I
    > instintively blink when the flash goes off and ruin the shot. It then

    takes
    > me over half an hour or so to clear my vision. I have tried using my left
    > eye whilst the right one clears but again, still blink, leaving me blind

    for
    > a good 30 minutes.
    >
    > Does anybody know of a way I can get a good shot of my own eye without
    > blinking?

    You...purposely put your eyeball 3" away from the flash, pointing directly
    at you, knowing it was going to fire...and then you did it AGAIN?
    First, stop doing doing that. Apparently someone needs to tell you this.
    Second, get a tripod. Use some bright room lights, or wait for a nice sunny
    day and set yourself and the camera mounted on tripod by an open window.
    Turn OFF the flash and try the shot again with the self timer.

    Mark
    Mark B., Dec 20, 2003
  5. "CameraBoy" <> wrote in message
    > I have been trying to take self portraits with a Sony Sureshot. I want a
    > close up of my left eye. I have set the macro on and hold the camera,

    lens
    > about 3 inches away pointing right into the centre of my eye but I
    > instintively blink when the flash goes off and ruin the shot. It then

    takes
    > me over half an hour or so to clear my vision. I have tried using my left
    > eye whilst the right one clears but again, still blink, leaving me blind

    for
    > a good 30 minutes.
    >
    > Does anybody know of a way I can get a good shot of my own eye without
    > blinking?

    Not very creative troll.

    If the lens is 3 in away from eye, the flash will be illuminating forehead
    or bridge of nose. You can always cover the right eye with your hand.

    The blink comes after the flash. The picture should have come out ok.

    It does not take 1/2 hour for vision to return unless you have a retinal
    condition. The blindness should not last more than a minute.

    Try again, kid.

    Juan
    Juan R. Pollo, Dec 20, 2003
  6. CameraBoy wrote:

    > I have been trying to take self portraits with a Sony Sureshot. I want a
    > close up of my left eye. I have set the macro on and hold the camera, lens
    > about 3 inches away pointing right into the centre of my eye but I
    > instintively blink when the flash goes off and ruin the shot. It then takes
    > me over half an hour or so to clear my vision. I have tried using my left
    > eye whilst the right one clears but again, still blink, leaving me blind for
    > a good 30 minutes.
    >
    > Does anybody know of a way I can get a good shot of my own eye without
    > blinking?

    Sounds like you are a candidate for a Darwin Award.
    Robert E. Williams, Dec 20, 2003
  7. CameraBoy

    stacey Guest

    CameraBoy wrote:

    > I have been trying to take self portraits with a Sony Sureshot. I want a
    > close up of my left eye. I have set the macro on and hold the camera,
    > lens about 3 inches away pointing right into the centre of my eye but I
    > instintively blink when the flash goes off and ruin the shot. It then
    > takes
    > me over half an hour or so to clear my vision.

    I'd stop doing that..

    http://www.kellogg.umich.edu/conditions/retina/detached_retina.html
    --

    Stacey
    stacey, Dec 20, 2003
  8. CameraBoy

    Irwell Guest

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 13:57:35 -0800, "Robert E. Williams" <> wrote:

    >CameraBoy wrote:
    >
    >> I have been trying to take self portraits with a Sony Sureshot. I want a
    >> close up of my left eye. I have set the macro on and hold the camera, lens
    >> about 3 inches away pointing right into the centre of my eye but I
    >> instintively blink when the flash goes off and ruin the shot. It then takes
    >> me over half an hour or so to clear my vision. I have tried using my left
    >> eye whilst the right one clears but again, still blink, leaving me blind for
    >> a good 30 minutes.
    >>
    >> Does anybody know of a way I can get a good shot of my own eye without
    >> blinking?

    >Sounds like you are a candidate for a Darwin Award.

    Maybe try a self circumcision next.
    Irwell, Dec 20, 2003
  9. CameraBoy

    Mark B. Guest

    "stacey" <> wrote in message
    > CameraBoy wrote:
    >
    > > I have been trying to take self portraits with a Sony Sureshot. I want

    > > close up of my left eye. I have set the macro on and hold the camera,
    > > lens about 3 inches away pointing right into the centre of my eye but I
    > > instintively blink when the flash goes off and ruin the shot. It then
    > > takes
    > > me over half an hour or so to clear my vision.

    > I'd stop doing that..
    >
    > http://www.kellogg.umich.edu/conditions/retina/detached_retina.html
    > --

    What's the connection? Nowhere does it say flashing a bright light (though
    I'm sure that can lead to other problems) is a cause of detached retina.

    Mark
    Mark B., Dec 21, 2003
  10. CameraBoy

    zeitgeist Guest

    good call, but to tell the truth, this was the funniest post in ages (well I
    put all the other trolls on my kill file)
    I sprayed beer all over the keyboard and monitor and have been laughing MAO.
    seriously.

    thanks cameraboy, I needed that.

    zeitgeist, Dec 21, 2003
  11. CameraBoy

    stacey Guest

    Mark B. wrote:

    > "stacey" <> wrote in message
    >> CameraBoy wrote:
    >>
    >> > I have been trying to take self portraits with a Sony Sureshot. I want

    >> > close up of my left eye. I have set the macro on and hold the camera,
    >> > lens about 3 inches away pointing right into the centre of my eye but I
    >> > instintively blink when the flash goes off and ruin the shot. It then
    >> > takes
    >> > me over half an hour or so to clear my vision.

    >> I'd stop doing that..
    >>
    >> http://www.kellogg.umich.edu/conditions/retina/detached_retina.html
    >> --

    > What's the connection? Nowhere does it say flashing a bright light
    > (though I'm sure that can lead to other problems) is a cause of detached
    > retina.

    Sorry you're right it's macular degeneration and other types retinal damage
    that is caused my this although I wouldn't be shocked if you could detach
    your retina doing this repeatedly.
    -------------
    http://www.optometrists.asn.au/eyevision/consumers/uv

    Age-related macular degeneration is the major cause of reduced vision in
    Australia for people over the age of 55. Exposure to UV and intense
    violet/blue visible radiation is damaging to retinal tissue in laboratory
    experiments, thus scientists have speculated that chronic UV or violet/blue
    light exposure may contribute to ageing processes in the retina.
    ----------------

    Flash has lots of UV as does electric welding. Anything bright enough to
    take 30 minutes to clear your vision is doing permanent damage to your
    retina. So soon we will see instructions with every camera (maybe even a
    warning sticker on the camera itself?) to not look directly into the flash
    and fire the camera. Like the instructions that came with my new iron that
    warned not to iron clothes while you are wearing them! :)

    --

    Stacey
    stacey, Dec 21, 2003
  12. CameraBoy

    FredBillie Guest

    << From: "CameraBoy"
    Date: Sat, Dec 20, 2003 12:52 PM

    I have been trying to take self portraits with a Sony Sureshot. I want a
    close up of my left eye. I have set the macro on and hold the camera, lens
    about 3 inches away pointing right into the centre of my eye but I
    instintively blink when the flash goes off and ruin the shot. It then takes
    me over half an hour or so to clear my vision. I have tried using my left
    eye whilst the right one clears but again, still blink, leaving me blind for
    a good 30 minutes.

    Does anybody know of a way I can get a good shot of my own eye without
    blinking?
    >><BR><BR>

    This is easy. First, tape your upper eyelid to your forehead and your lower
    eyelid to your cheek. Next, go to Kinkos, place your face on the color copy
    machine and press “Copyâ€.

    Uhm, your nose is not very long, is it? This might screw up this approach.
    FredBillie, Dec 21, 2003
  13. CameraBoy

    CameraBoy Guest

    Zeitgeist - thanks for that as well. The comment from Juan really racked me
    off. Yes, I changed my ID, and yes, I was 'trolling' and sent this in only
    as I was fed up of reading about MP comparison, foveon lenses, George bloody
    Preddy, Nikon vs Oly vs Canon etc.

    Everybody seems to have taken it in the humour intended (see FredBillie's
    post) but for some reason Juan took offence. I wasn't being offencive, I
    wasn't really intent on wasting peoples time, if the consensus of the group
    is that the odd post that is not meant seriously is 'bad' then this is a sad
    world we live in, or a sad bunch of people who subscribe to this group. I
    don't intend to make a habit of it anyway, I've been here for a while and
    this is the first 'stupid' post I've made.

    All the best, CameraBoy

    CameraBoy, Dec 21, 2003
  14. Hi,

    People who practice Iridology which is a form of "Alternative" now known as
    "Complementary" medicine use cameras to photograph the eyes close-up.
    Obviously they use some safe system to take their photographs. And, of
    course, hospitals need to do the same. Do a Google search on "Iridology",
    then search for "Equipment". I feel your question is valid, don't be put off
    by anyone................

    Anthony

    Anthony Larkin, Dec 21, 2003
  15. CameraBoy

    ? Guest

    This happened all the time to flash bulb testers years ago. Either your a
    real dummy or a very uncreative troll. Why don't you jsut take a close look
    at a copy machine. That should do it for you.

    ?, Dec 21, 2003
  16. You shoyuld definitely, repeat definitely!, not fire the flash directly into
    your eyes.

    Bernard Saper, Dec 21, 2003
  17. CameraBoy

    George Kerby Guest

    On 12/20/03 12:52 PM, in article
    fR0Fb.596$, "CameraBoy"
    <> wrote:

    > I have been trying to take self portraits with a Sony Sureshot. I want a
    > close up of my left eye. I have set the macro on and hold the camera, lens
    > about 3 inches away pointing right into the centre of my eye but I
    > instintively blink when the flash goes off and ruin the shot. It then takes
    > me over half an hour or so to clear my vision. I have tried using my left
    > eye whilst the right one clears but again, still blink, leaving me blind for
    > a good 30 minutes.
    >
    > Does anybody know of a way I can get a good shot of my own eye without
    > blinking?

    What are you? A masochist!?! Damn, have you started seeing everything 'in
    red' yet? Go to an eye doctor and have him/her photograph your retina (back
    of the eyeball) with your eye dilated. Now THAT's a fun time. Oh Yeah!

    Seriously, you got a self-timer? A friend?

    George Kerby, Dec 21, 2003
  18. CameraBoy

    George Kerby Guest

    On 12/20/03 2:10 PM, in article
    L02Fb.220522$, "Juan R. Pollo"
    <> wrote:

    > "CameraBoy" <> wrote in message
    >> I have been trying to take self portraits with a Sony Sureshot. I want a
    >> close up of my left eye. I have set the macro on and hold the camera,

    > lens
    >> about 3 inches away pointing right into the centre of my eye but I
    >> instintively blink when the flash goes off and ruin the shot. It then

    > takes
    >> me over half an hour or so to clear my vision. I have tried using my left
    >> eye whilst the right one clears but again, still blink, leaving me blind

    > for
    >> a good 30 minutes.
    >>
    >> Does anybody know of a way I can get a good shot of my own eye without
    >> blinking?
    >>

    > Not very creative troll.
    >
    > If the lens is 3 in away from eye, the flash will be illuminating forehead
    > or bridge of nose. You can always cover the right eye with your hand.
    >
    > The blink comes after the flash. The picture should have come out ok.
    >
    > It does not take 1/2 hour for vision to return unless you have a retinal
    > condition. The blindness should not last more than a minute.
    >
    > Try again, kid.
    >
    > Juan

    Damn, Juan, your too good at catching trolls!

    George Kerby, Dec 21, 2003
  19. CameraBoy

    George Kerby Guest

    On 12/21/03 8:21 AM, in article r%hFb.19212$,
    "Bernard Saper" <> wrote:

    > You shoyuld definitely, repeat definitely!, not fire the flash directly into
    > your eyes.

    Your typing indicates that you might have not been practicing what you are
    preaching here.
    ;-)

    George Kerby, Dec 21, 2003
  20. Try getting a spoon and take your eye out then it cant blink

    David Stubberfield, Dec 21, 2003