Blekin wireless router can't access Comcast network...

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Howard Woodard, Dec 4, 2006.

  1. This is a bit of a long story but I think it may be helpful in understanding
    my problem.

    I have a Dell Inspiron 7500 with a Linksys PMCIA wiress network card.

    When I lived in Kirkland, WA I purchased a Belkin F6D3230-4 (a 4-port switch
    and router) to use with my Qwest DSL modem(router). I accessed it only
    wirelessly from my laptop and it worked perfectly.

    Then I switched over to Comcast cable broadband. I just took the ethernet
    cable that had been plugged into the DSL modem and connected it to the cable
    modem provided by Comcast and everything continued to work just fine.

    Recently I moved down to Auburn, Wa. I subscribed to Comcast again but this
    time I let them provide my phone service as well so the device they
    installed is different than what I had in Kirkland.

    When I connect the ethernet cable from the Belkin router to the cable modem
    everything goes green but the WAN and it continuously blinks yellow which
    means that it is not connected to the internet.

    I can connect a USB cable directly between the cable modem device and my
    laptop and it will connect through to the internet. But it is pretty slow.

    Does anyone know if I need a special ethernet cable or if there is a
    configuration parameter that selects either USB or ethernet as the
    interface? Or for that matter, any other reason that I'm not able to
    establish a connection through the cable modem from my Belkin router?

    Thanks in advance,

    Howard

    Howard Woodard, Dec 4, 2006

  2. This looks similar to another entry a little futher down in this forum
    called "WLAN setup for one laptop" so let me add a couple of things.

    (1) There is only one laptop in my network.
    (2) It connects to the Belkin router just fine. I can open the router admin
    pages and manage it with no problem and the laptop shows that its connected
    to the wireless network and the router shows that one device is connected to
    it and it's the laptop's MAC address.

    So it appears to me that everything is working except the internet access
    through the cable modem from the Belkin router.

    Howard
    =======================================

    Howard Woodard, Dec 4, 2006

  3. Hi

    In most cases DSL connection and Cable connections are totally different and
    need a different configuration when using a Router.

    This is the common story with most Cable Internet service.

    How to Fix Cable/DSL Internet authentication (password). -
    http://www.ezlan.net/broadband.html

    Otherwise call Comcast and ask for specific instructions.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Dec 4, 2006
  4. Thanks Jack. I'll see what I can figure out from this before I call
    Comcast. I would like to point out thought that this last change is from
    Comcast cabe to Comcast cable. Not from DSL. Wouldn't you expect it to
    work?

    Howard

    Howard Woodard, Dec 4, 2006
  5. Hi
    The services of the Big ISPs are not identical across the country to begin
    with.
    Especially so if they buy small providers to enlarge their own "Kingdom"
    they do not change the whole system right away, if ay all.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Dec 4, 2006
  6. Howard Woodard

    David Hettel Guest

    What is the version of your cable modem? Have you tried using the cable that
    came with the modem? Does your laptop support a network interface, (an RJ45
    connection?)

    --
    David Hettel

    E-mail or news groups.