Bleh for Canon - Yay for B&H Photo.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by John Wilson, Aug 3, 2003.

  1. John Wilson

    John Wilson Guest

    In light of all the posts here regarding B&H Photo, some of which
    were written in a very negative fashion, my personal experiences with
    B&H have been nothing but pleasurable. Here's a little story of how
    they will help their customers...

    Last Friday, the 25th of July, I received a number of items from them
    including a new Canon EOS-10D, a 28-135 IS USM lens, as well as a number
    of other items. The people that I had spoken with at B&H were nothing
    but kind and courteous on the phone. The order was processed quite
    quickly, and I was quite pleased with their service.

    Once I began seriously using the camera, I noticed that there were blue
    pixels that were "stuck" on, and were most noticeable when photographing
    subjects against a black background. I had even placed the lens cap back
    on the lens, and shot a number of photos - each one exhibiting these
    same blue pixels in all of my images, in exactly the same places. There
    was an obvious defect with the CMOS sensor...

    This was on Friday, August 1st, when I began to examine my other photos
    more closely, and discovered that these same blue pixels were present
    in those as well. I had attempted contact via. phone with B&H, but
    unfortunately, they were already closed. E-Mail attempts were also
    in vain as B&H was also closed on Saturdays.

    I called once again this morning, August 3rd, and spoke with a Customer
    Service Representative. I explained the problem with the camera and
    requested that a new replacement be sent out. I had also explained
    that I was sort of in a bind and needed the replacement by the following
    Friday as the camera was absolutely required for that weekend. The
    gentleman suggested that I place another order, and when the old camera
    was accepted, they would refund my purchase price. Altho this was a
    wonderful idea, I was financially unable to cover the price of the
    new camera without having a credit applied. After a few more moments
    of speaking with him, another suggestion was brought up by him...

    I had told him that I would send the EOS-10D back Next Day Air, so that
    they would have it in their hands by Tuesday. The Service Representative
    stated that he could ship the replacement out back to me... Next Day
    Air, so that I would have it by the 8th of August. This was actually
    quite a surprise, as well as quite nice.

    I have nothing but praise for B&H, as from the initial placing of my
    order, to the handling of this exchange, it has been a pleasure dealing
    with the people I had spoken with, as well as B&H in general. They really
    do treat their customers with care, and take the time to do whatever
    it is that they can to work with you.

    Kudos to B&H.

    - John Wilson

    John Wilson, Aug 3, 2003

  2. And it is not really a Bleh for Canon. You got a defect. It happens.
    Canon has their share, but I don't believe they have more than others.
    Every manufacturer has them.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Aug 3, 2003

  3. John Wilson

    Wes J Guest

    Actually, yes it was a "bleh" for Canon, just as would have been for Nikon
    if it was their sensor. A defect is a defect and calling it "bleh" is not
    out of line.

    Wes J, Aug 3, 2003
  4. John Wilson

    gr Guest

    "John Wilson" <> wrote

    > I was simply stating the good customer service that had been provided by
    > a retailer, which also echoes a number of other comments that had
    > been made by others.

    Just to nit-pik...

    How do you know you've got good service? You haven't received your
    replacement camera yet, have you? Don't count your chickens before they
    hatch. Good luck getting the replacement in time for next weekend... you'll
    need it.

    gr, Aug 3, 2003
  5. So am I. It is much better to find it soon. I wonder if someone has
    come up with a set of test a new owner can use to check for the more common
    problems.

    Joseph Meehan, Aug 4, 2003